Rosh HaShanah

Posted by: meredithbead

Rosh HaShanah - 10/05/05 12:38 PM

Last night was the beginning of Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year (2 days long.) I wish everyone L'Shanah Tovah -- to a good year, a sweet year, a year full of blessings.

"May your days be sweet like honey."
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/05/05 06:11 PM

Thanks, Meredith! I wish the same for you and all boomer friends!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/05/05 06:49 PM

Thank you Meredith, this means a great deal to me coming from you, dear friend.

JJ
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/06/05 07:17 AM

Back at you, Meredith and thanks.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/06/05 07:20 AM

Thanks Meredith. Do you mind telling us how you celebrate?
Posted by: Pattyann

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/05/05 10:49 PM

Meredith-and may all good life can offer find it's way to you and all you hold in your loving heart

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/07/05 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone!

We have a High Holiday prayer book and my husband and I hold our own services in the living room. We read as much or as little as we want, at whatever time we feel like it, and discuss various spiritual issues. We both get dressed up.

We cook a nice meal or dessert together. It's traditional to eat an apple dipped in honey or a honey cake for a sweet year [Smile] This year I baked an apple cobbler with honey, raisins and almonds. It's already gone! I'm glad I don't count calories.

I used to love to attend services, but my husband didn't so the home services were sort of a compromise. It's been maybe 10 years since I've been to a synagogue High Holiday Service.

Being raised Jewish was always very important to me, but my theology no longer fits into a neat little package. I gave up formalized religion years ago. I still follow religious traditions which resonate with me, but have given up others which seem dissonent. The advantage to being unaffiliated is that I choose what has meaning to my life, and don't feel I need to apologize about what I no longer believe in.

I like most of the customs associated with this holiday, and the meaning of the holiday itself. The Jewish New Year is when we take stock of our lives and try to make ourselves better. It's a lot more serious than the secular new year.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/07/05 06:03 PM

Meredith, I hope that your day and the coming new year will be filled with everything good that your heart and life yearns for. You're such a blessing to this forum and my life, I too wish to be a blessing to you and your life throughout the coming year.

L'Shanah Tovah to you my friend.
Posted by: Cinenarf

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/22/05 05:10 AM

A Happy, Healthy and Sweet New Year to All The Lovely Boomer Ladies!
Posted by: Junebug

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/23/05 05:49 PM

Happy New Year or L'Shanah Tovah to all!

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/24/05 08:25 AM

Thanks again ladies! [Smile] [Smile]

I think it's nice to have a quiet time to look at our lives and be thankful for our blessings.

So far, my New Year is going great!

[ October 24, 2005, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 10/29/05 08:03 AM

Sounds like a lovely custom, Meredith.

(And that apple cobbler sounds delicious! [Smile] )
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 11/10/05 08:38 AM

Meredith,
This entry is wa-a-ay late, but I wanted to tell you I found such comfort in your wise words, "but my theology no longer fits into a neat little package. I gave up formalized religion years ago. I still follow religious traditions which resonate with me, but have given up others which seem dissonent. The advantage to being unaffiliated is that I choose what has meaning to my life, and don't feel I need to apologize about what I no longer believe in." That's how I've felt for some time, but could never quite get into words. You did it for me! Thanks!

Re: Rosh HaShanah - 11/11/05 10:50 AM

Thanks Fifty! I'm glad I could give you the words.