book on writing?

Posted by: Dotsie

book on writing? - 12/14/06 07:18 PM

Since there's an active topic going in the other forum, I chose to put this here. Anyone read I Gotta Crow: Women, Voice, and Writing, by Jill Hackett? Just wondering if I should buy it.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: book on writing? - 12/15/06 06:27 PM

Sorry, Dotsie, I've never read it.

But, I can recommend On Writing by Stephen King.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: book on writing? - 12/15/06 10:53 PM

My favorite of all the writing books is:

DAMN! WHY DIDN'T I WRITE THAT?
How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 Or More, Writing Nonfiction Books & You Can Too!
by Marc McCutcheon

You have to see this one to believe it and believe it you will...
Posted by: Anno

Re: book on writing? - 12/15/06 11:10 PM

Okay, Chatty. I would love to make $100,000 next year. Would this book, with effort of course, make it possible?

Dotsie, I have never heard of the book.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: book on writing? - 12/16/06 08:48 AM

On Writing by Stephen King too. He was so refreshingly honest about how hard it is to get into the market. I thought it was an excellent book.

Re: book on writing? - 12/16/06 10:31 PM

Anno no book can accomplish that, we need to do it for ourselves but while writing book reviews for Long Ridge Writers School in Connecticut, this was one book that sruck out in my mind as a catalyst leading towards that goal.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: book on writing? - 12/16/06 11:59 PM

Anno, I am thinking that you might ask yourself first what you want to accomplish with your writing. Is it about making money? Or is it about getting a message, product, or service across to others? Is writing your passion or a hobby? Or is what you are writing about your ministry/mission. For example, our Dianne says she was an author before she was a writer. She says that she had a message to get across to others about experiencing and overcoming DV. She felt called to write a book. Now, she writes because she learned that she loved writing. I hope Dianne doesn't mind that I used her example. I'd say that you visit each Featured Author section here on BWS because your cohorts who are writers have profound, proficient, and prolific information. Oh, and many writers don't make money a dollar per book unless you sell a zillion copies. Most writers make money by public speaking. They become experts on their topics, and do presentations. Dotsie, I never heard of this book or the one Chatty speaks of. I'll check into them. There are so many good books on writing. Maybe BWS can do an anthology of our stories about our writing, kind of like "Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul" by BWS. There really is a CSFTWS and it's inspiring.
Posted by: Anno

Re: book on writing? - 12/17/06 12:32 PM

Oops. I was really only kidding! Chatty mentioned the book and the subtitle said how ordinary people are earning $100,000. I just meant I would love to make that kind of money this year. I really have no ambition to write a book, at this time. I know there is a book in me, but it is not one of my current goals.

Thanks, though, for the thoughtful feedback. I do know that being an author is not easy and I sure hope that none of you talented authors thought I was being flippant.

Re: book on writing? - 12/19/06 11:38 PM

Perish the thought Anno, knew you were only teasing.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: book on writing? - 12/20/06 09:24 PM

Chatty, do you still have Marc's book? My, what a small world we live in. Marc quoted me two or three times in his book and actually ended the book with my words (a real honor). Marc was my agent. We became very close during that time and he's just the greatest guy in the world. But, he got a five book contract and stopped agenting. It's so strange that you mention him here and his book is really, really good!

Re: book on writing? - 12/20/06 09:29 PM

P.S. I had a dream the other night about a BWS book just like Chicken Soup. I mean, why not?

Lynnie, you can example me anytime you want! Here is the main ingredient to my writing...have you ever taken on an endeavor where it was impossible for you to fail? Doors flew open, contacts were suddenly there, everything went so smoothly you felt like you were part of a miracle in the making? This is how my writing/publishing endeavor came about. We just have to open ourselves to miracles and really expect triumph. No room for doubt. Like The Secret. It works, it really does.

Marc was always amazed because I never cared if a new book had just been published on why men batter. I told him that wouldn't help abused women one bit. My book was focused on the victim. I never allowed any doubt to come into play.

Re: book on writing? - 12/21/06 12:36 AM

Oh Dianne, ever the victim, I have never had doors fly open for me. It seems I have to pry them open, beat them down, and/or declare "open sesame." However, I do not know what forces are at play behind the scenes that could have made it any harder. So maybe it's (whatever) is easier than I think. I do believe that the product of a well-written book is a miracle in itself. I thank the angels and God who came to my side while writing, flinging phrases from the air and in dreams at me to capture onto the page, sending me a spiritual counselor to see me through re-visiting trauma. And I thank the miracle of my first believers in my mission, and my current believers at BWS. Dianne, I bought The Secret. It is hard for me to change overnight, but I am using it as a guideline in 2007. Dianne, if you dreamed it, it will be so. I too see a collection of BWS like chicken soup for the soul! But please, let me wear ballerina flats when we are promoting our stories! Oh, we need more true stories of victims and how they overcame to become survivors. There's plenty of research and statistics. Let's be real!

Re: book on writing? - 12/21/06 03:35 PM

I believe with all my heart and soul that if you have a passion burning within to write about an experience that will help others, that passion was lit by God and was meant to be out in the world.

I too had help while writing. I would be pounding on the keyboard and have to pull away and ask, where did I learn that? It wasn't in therapy, it wasn't in any book I had read. It was kind of scary until I realized that each time before I sat down to write, I would pray and ask God to keep my ego out of the way and give me Divine Intervention. So, when it happened, I forgot what I had asked for. Duh.

Girl, your first book was wonderful. I know your next will be even better. I don't understand your ballerina flats statement.

Re: book on writing? - 12/22/06 08:22 PM

Oh, the ballerina flats is that you wear heels, I wear flats. I used to wear heels to work in real estate and retail. Imagine wearing heels for 10-12 hours straight! Now I wear old lady shoes. Dianne, my experience was so similar to yours re: "where did that come from?" the phrase, the word, the knowledge. It came from divine intelligence! God using us as instruments, right?

Re: book on writing? - 12/22/06 09:26 PM

Yep, sure was. I have to be careful when asking Him to use me as an instrument to show His love because He takes me up on it. If I'm really tired, I don't ask for it.

I love how this works. The director of the shelter here, called me and told me about a woman who volunteers and is in the process of writing her book. And...she had just bought my book without knowing I was living here. Weird, huh? So, we're getting together after the holidays. I'm excited. And, I'm sure you love to help other women write their story too, just like me. It is never competition but a sharing to guide others along their journey.

Re: book on writing? - 12/23/06 06:41 PM

Hi Dianne, in my post 103995 above I wrote "ever the victim." You know, I don't really perceive myself as a victim, but as a survivor and thriver. I was a victim, and a victim of my own learned helplessness, but you know I am empowered! Just a wee bit insecure, though, to be honest. But I walk around saying "I am secure in God's love." I don't think that others writing their stories is any form of competition. I believe in the notion that there is something for and from everyone, and enough to go around. That's wonderful how you two connected, and the buyer of your book did not even know you were in the area. Now she will get a signed copy from the one true Divine Dianne!

Re: book on writing? - 12/26/06 04:29 PM

I don't even like the word survivor anymore. It gives old what's his name too much power. Like I survived him. He's not even a part of the equation now.

I'm not meeting up with this gal until after the first of the year because we're traveling to AZ to thaw out.

Re: book on writing? - 12/26/06 05:30 PM

Here is an update with some new info that I previously posted:

Author seeking contributors for book

Nancy Christie, author of The Gifts of Change (www.giftsofchange.com) is seeking contributors to her new book on change. Christie would like both personal stories that illustrate the theme of each chapter as well as experts in the field of change and personal development to provide their insights.

If you are interested in participating, send an e-mail to nancy@nancychristie.com. In the subject line, write “Source for SAY YES book" and in the message, include a few details about yourself: either about the change or challenge you have overcome (or are currently dealing with) or your professional background in the field of self-transformation and personal development.

Christie will add you to the source list and will periodically send e-mails regarding the topics she is exploring. (See http://www.communityofchange.com/html/shareyourstory.htm for details about current subjects) If your story becomes part of the book, your name and state will be included, you’ll receive a copy of the book, and the satisfaction in knowing that your experience has helped the readers move forward on their path!

Re: book on writing? - 12/26/06 11:52 PM

Dianne, that was my original dream, but I ended up with these awesome forums and an association thus far. Who knows what else will come?

I've also read On Writing and loved it. The end of the book, where he shows his editing, was so refreshing to see. Since reading that, I edit even more. I don't like his movies or other books, but I loved this one.

Dianne, what a small world that chatty should mention that book.

Re: book on writing? - 12/31/06 11:18 PM

Which book? Are you referring to Stephen King?
Posted by: Bathbuddys

Re: book on writing? - 01/01/07 08:44 AM

Hi,
I got this book at half dot com and it does have some pretty darn good stuff in it.
I like this writer as he is so unselfish. I also believe what he says about writers not wanting to let anyone see their books in progress as of fear of someone taking their ideas. It is not only hard to do when it is non-fiction as if it isn't your story, it is very hard to copy as we are so individual in our experiences.
I myself am not in a good spot with my writing as I believe I have about 4 different stories to tell and not knowing where to begin. I am just overloading myself.
I have let go of one of my store building (long process) and in the mean time I am listing all this stuff from my store in three different places and plan on what doesn't sell to get it on my website. oh k I'm done.
I am not not done reading this whole book yet, but so far ya can't go wrong.

Nancy - I WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: book on writing? - 01/01/07 06:34 PM

I also loved Stephen King's book on writing. Anne Lamont's book, Bird by Bird, is another good book on writing.

Re: book on writing? - 01/02/07 06:03 PM

Lynnie, it was: Damn, why didn't I write that?

Re: book on writing? - 01/04/07 01:18 PM

bathbuddys, good to see you agin. Thanks for the information on the book.

I also loved Bird By Bird. Anne LaMott's writing is so flat out honest. I've read a couple of her books. Haven't read the latest one though. Too many books and not enough time!

Re: book on writing? - 01/05/07 06:59 AM

HI,
I'm finished with the DAMN! book.. hehe
it is very informative and I am sure that I will use it as reference in the future.
I am in the process of gathering books that my aunt has written so that I can read them all.
She writes VERY spiritual books and I need to do that now.
Her name is Kristen Johnson Ingram and I don't know if any of you have ever read any of her books, but I have 5 of them now that I got from Amazon.com over the last two weeks.
I believe she has written at least 20 and she also teaches seminars everywhere. VERY sought out woman from what I hear.. hehe
She was always my favorite aunt and talks about our family a little as examples in her books. She still continues to allow a few very lucky goats in her house. hehe

I am making some new things right now but starting to reach out and talk again to people on the net.

ALL 3 of my boys are going to be deployed in the next couple of months and I just cannot take this one with all of them going overseas. I just don't know how I will cope.

Thanks for letting me participate here, it is helping to get to know myself a little better.

Nancy

Re: book on writing? - 01/05/07 09:52 AM

Been wondering where you'd gotten off to. Glad to see you posting again my dear....

Re: book on writing? - 01/05/07 07:29 PM

Thanks Chatty,
I seem to have a constant lump in my throat, but REALLY trying my hardest to get out of this.
It was ALWAYS easy when the boys were home! So Much to laugh about and a reason to get out of bed huh?

Okay now I am reading another book on The Entrepenuers Soul (sp?) It is a good one too, I cannot believe how some BIG names got started, Just unbelievable.!
It is just backing up what the featured author this month is saying. Basically take risks, even if you are afraid as it isn't going to jump in your lap! Or put you in someone's lap.... lol

Hugs,
Nancy

Re: book on writing? - 01/06/07 11:32 AM

Most of you know Janis/Smilinize, she designed my website and set it all up for me. She's told me umpteen times in the past that one day I was going to be big (no not about weight) and I'm finally beginning to believe maybe shes right. Lord I hope so. I am woking hard to make it a reality! I now have students from Long Ridge running their assignments by me for critique/editing. Taking risks has paid off so far and I am so glad to have taken them.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: book on writing? - 01/06/07 03:37 PM

Bathbuddys, I feel compelled to add to your post and say that it doesn't matter if you have 8 books or 3 books inside your head, they will remain there until you start. Staring doesn't mean that you put some sort of permanence on the action, but it does mean you ACTED, or took the first step. Just start. Don't EVEN think about editing or even deciding which book or story must be the one told.

Just start. The important thing is to begin. Some writers think if they actually start, then they can't walk away from it, leave it, or take a break from it. This isn't true. I can't tell you how many times I've started and stopped some projects. If I had a nickel for every time, I'd be driving a better car.

So don't be so hard on yourself. Writer's do that to themselves. Give yourself permission to start, but also give yourself permission to live, laugh, love, and do many things!

I'm thinking of you and your children and will be holding all of you close!
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: book on writing? - 01/06/07 05:30 PM

JJ, that is so true...I was at least half way through Bertha...that sounds weird!...before I started the editing process. I knew that if I started too soon that I would get discouraged and quit...that's why I initially started writing in long hand...I edit too much when I compose on the computer.

I have pieces I've started and just filed away...I'll get back to them one day...who knows when?

You may find writing to be a comfort when the boys are away...my thoughts are with you there!
Posted by: chickadee

Re: book on writing? - 01/06/07 06:44 PM

Chatty, isn't it funny how it snows a little snow and when make a snowball and start rolling that snowball look what happens. Smiles believes in you. We do too.
Bathbuddys JJ is such a smart woman. I think we all need a mentor for our project/s. You know...someone who will keep us on the ball.
Jane, I haven't been on here much til now. I wanted to say that I love Bertha and when I come that way in March, You, JJ and I need to get together.

chick

Re: book on writing? - 01/06/07 10:25 PM

Nancy, don't edit while writing because it kills the creativity. Do a few pages, put them away for a day or two and then, look at them again. When I learned to self-edit, it really stopped me from writing.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: book on writing? - 01/11/07 07:11 PM

I just got this link mailed to me.
Sounds super interesting, and I would def. enter the contest, but only US residents are allowed. Check it out!
GATHER
Posted by: smilinize

Re: book on writing? - 01/14/07 08:23 PM

I did believe in Chatty before she believed in herself and still do. The best result of the website was to give her confidence and visibility. She took it from there.

As to writing, here's some brain physiology that might be interesting.

We know the functions of various brain areas from autopsies on stroke victims, brain surgery, and more recently from thermographic and other devices that measures living brain activity.

The act of writing is apparently controlled primarily by the midbrain which coordinates most brain functions.

Writing actually involves almost every functional brain area. Ideas are formed in the creative right brain, organized by the logical left brain, edited by the conscience/super ego of the forebrain, and executed by the physical hind brain. All of that is coordinated by the midbrain.

Brain tissue is like muscle. The most used parts become strongest. Because we use the creative right brain less, it is weak and defenseless so it functions best apart from the editing and logical brain which are stronger because they are more often used.

Because the ideas for the first drafts begin in the weak and defenseless creative right brain the first draft should be simply a record of the unedited ideas generated by the imagination. As a piece is being written, the logical left brain orders the creativite ideas and converts them to language. Later the fore brain can take over to further organize the communication of complex ideas by editing.

Maybe regognizing what is happening physiologically and going with it instead of against will help us to tap into all the areas of our brain in order to do our best work.

Just some thoughts.
smile

Re: book on writing? - 01/15/07 08:04 PM

smiles, talk about someone picking my brain!
Makes sense. Thanks for posting it.

chick
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: book on writing? - 01/15/07 08:10 PM

WOW! Chick...you're coming this way? That is incredible...somehow I got off of this thread and just saw your post...Bertha and Nellie will definitly have some things to talk about!

Re: book on writing? - 01/17/07 04:10 AM

Jane, We should be that way when the fish start biting. We go every year. Let's set something up when the time gets nearer. I'll bring the old gal along.
chick