Your pets will love you for this!

Posted by: chatty lady

Your pets will love you for this! - 05/05/06 12:47 AM

Fleas and ticks HATE the smell of vinegar and will scurry away from it as fast as possible. You can keep these pests off your pets in the coming days by spraying them with a simple solution of vinegar and warm water. Spray and just rub it in. It's safe, cheap and very effective....
Posted by: starting over

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 05/05/06 01:08 AM

Chatty, I also read somewhere that adding a bit of vinegar to their water bowls would help with fleas/ticks--can you shed any light on that idea?

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 05/05/06 01:11 AM

S.O., I haven't heard that but I do spray the pen in the yard where they are kept when outdoors as well as their beds. Don't worry because when the mixture drys the smell is neglegible. Vinegar is goor for our animals as well as ourselves, so I'd say try ot and see if they'll drink the water.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 05/06/06 08:02 PM

I have been adding 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to my dog's water bowls for 10 years now...it also helps keep their breath fresh... [Smile]
Posted by: Danita

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 05/07/06 01:33 AM

doesn't this give them the runs! arrrghh!

when I take apple cider vinegar - it, ah, get's my system moving. Quite nicely, I might add.

d.

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 05/07/06 02:52 AM

It shouldn't give them the trots unless given too much all at once. I think taking a bit of vinegar Danita is a clever and healthful way to cleanse the system. When growing older sometimes people experience a change in the consistancy of their movements and have serious constipation issues.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 07/07/06 02:38 PM

Chatty, I am curious about the vinger/water solution to prevent fleas/ticks on our pets. Do you have to do this daily? I use the Vet's line of flea & tick products such as advantage & frontline. They really hate having this put on. I am all for a natural & cheaper way of helping my furry friends rid themselves of those pesky fleas. Ya'll talked about doing the vinger spray to dogs, but does it work on cats too?.....Or does it just make them.....ummmm, a sour puss! I'm afraid my cats would shred me to bits if I came after them with a sprayer. I've become a pretty good expert at giving pills to cats over the years, if I had too, but getting them wet...I dunno!

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 07/07/06 07:56 PM

You can do the spraying once a week, that should do the trick Cookie and it will keep them fresh and clear of pests. As far as the cat goes what I have tried with some success was to mix a small bowl of the liquids and sit on the floor or sofa and use a cotton ball to dab it onto the cat while petting and rubbing her. It doesn't have to cover every inch BUT get around the head and neck first and also the tail and under the tail. Most cats will tolerate this just fine....
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Your pets will love you for this! - 07/08/06 03:34 PM

Thanks Chatty! I am certainly gonna give that a try.