cleaning tips...?

Posted by: jabber

cleaning tips...? - 10/31/11 04:52 PM

Any of you ladies have good old-fashion cleaning tips.
My kitchen cabinets are dark wood, bedroom doors are dark wood, and both need cleaning. Suggestions, anyone? I just read
on the net that ammonia and hydrogen peroxide are good for cleaning toilets; and a pan of ammonia placed in the stove
oven overnight helps remove grease splatters. What say you? confused
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: cleaning tips...? - 10/31/11 05:24 PM

Hi Jabber,

I'd probably choose Murphy's Oil Soap if I had to do a serious cleaning on my wood floors. And, I believe it can be used for the cabinets, whether or not they are wood.

I didn't know a lot about the stuff, so I checked it out online. Here's a good link: Stain Removal 101

When I was a kid we cleaned our floors with a dry, pine scented product that came in big metal pails -- Solvit, I think it was called. The stuff was green and we got it from my grandfather who sold it at his paint stores. It was very concentrated and we'd put something like a quarter cup into a big pail of water. That stuff was also a great degreaser and it cleaned just about anything.

But I don't see it sold anymore. Anyone else remember it?

Re: cleaning tips...? - 10/31/11 06:47 PM

Thanks Anne. I have some Murphy's Oil Soap on-hand. I'll give
that a try on the cabinets and doors.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: cleaning tips...? - 10/31/11 07:04 PM

For wood, we always use Murphy's. For greasy spots, there's a product called Citra-Solv. It's orange-peel based and is wonderful.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: cleaning tips...? - 11/01/11 04:15 AM

Some of the citrus based cleaners I've tried have been pretty strong. I'd try it on a small spot before getting too carried away with it, depending on how your wood is sealed. When we had our floors refinished, the company recommended a cup of vinegar to a gallon of water and don't soak the floors. Ours are sealed with "Swedish finish" (whatever that is!)

Re: cleaning tips...? - 11/01/11 02:04 PM

Thank you!

Re: cleaning tips...? - 12/26/12 02:45 PM

I've cleaned probably 80% of the wood in the house thus far.
Plan on cleaning the rest this week. I've been using Murphy's Oil
soap and it works great. Thanks for the help!