Moist turkey dressing...?

Posted by: jabber

Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 02:23 PM

You gals who like to cook, I've had a problem with dressing
becoming too dry and sticking to the bowl it's cooked in.
I bake a turkey breast and cook the stuffing separately. I thought perhaps the problem was too shallow of a baking dish. This year I'll bake the dressing in a deeper dish. But here's the question: How do I keep the sides from sticking and the top from crusting up? I can butter the sides of the dish a bit, I know. But what about the top? What do you gals do?
Posted by: gims

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 03:51 PM

Olive oil spray the sides, add more chicken stock to the dressing, and let the top crust over - that's the good part, the crust, that is... mmmm, I'm wanting some of my mom's dressing!... but, if you don't want it to crust over, maybe lay some foil on top... don't close it up, just lay it atop...

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 09:42 PM

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks gims! Happy Holidays. Luv ya.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 10:23 PM

I was thinking of making it more moist to begin with so I second gims idea to add more chicken stock.

I also add bacon and sausage which keeps it from getting dry. Yum!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 10:55 PM

OMG!!! I always cook my dressing separate. My dressing isn't considered good unless there is a nice crust on the top but of course the inner dressing should be moist. Always is too. I use chicken broth to moisten the toasted bread pieces I tear up, and use plenty so it until the mixture feels almost mushy in the mixing bowl. When cooked properly there will always be a crush on top UNLESS you cook it inside the turkey, then theres no crust! Or try tightly covering your pan with aluminum foil during the cooking, that should keep a crust from forming.

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/22/09 10:59 PM

Almost forgot, I use a natural butter cooking spray on my baking pan/dish. Even if some sticks just run water in the empty pan/dish and let it sit, it comes out easy enough when soaked awhile.

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/23/09 03:15 PM

Thank you ladies. Instead of tearing bread, I use a 14 oz. package of cubed, country style, Pepperidge Farm stuffing blended with herbs and spices. I fry celery and onions in butter; add a couple gently beaten eggs and water; and bake in a casserole dish 4 a half hour at 350 degrees. Other years I used an oblong, shallow baking dish. This year I stocked up on dishes and intend to use a deeper casserole dish and broth, like you all say! Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/23/09 08:56 PM

One question though, why not use turkey broth as opposed to
chicken broth? Just wonderin'!

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/23/09 10:44 PM

Ever tried to find turkey broth??? It's hard to find believe me.
You can use Pepperidge Farm pieces if you want to. I have on occassion myself but enjoy toasting the bread.

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/24/09 02:13 PM

Gotcha! Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2, 1 and ALL!!!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/24/09 03:43 PM

I always use turkey broth in my dressing. My dressing sounds a little like yours Jabber. I sauté my celery and onions in butter and then add them to a big bowl of bread cubes and then add; beaten eggs,some poultry season, other seasonings, and about 2 cups of turkey broth. It's yummy!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/24/09 09:35 PM

I don't think I've ever seen turkey broth. I'd never seen seafood broth either until my son made Gumbo yesterday. Boy was that good. Still have some leftovers. Anyone hungry?

Eggs in dressing? Interesting, I've never done that. I bet it's good.

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/25/09 01:20 AM

They do sell seafood broth and you can get it at Whole Foods or sometimes Trader Joes has it. I haven't seen turkey broth however anywhere but they still may sell it.
And yes I am starving as my house smells so good with a turkey, beef roast and ham in the oven, and I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast too...

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/25/09 01:22 AM

Cookie I make my dressing exactly the same way only I cook and they sautee the turkey gizzard and liver and add it into the mix, it tastes so delicious...

Re: Moist turkey dressing...? - 12/26/09 06:20 PM

Thanks Cookie. Mine and yours does sound the same. I buy turkey
broth at a nearby meat market. Grandma always added eggs; she said it held the bread crumbs together. That's where I got that from. My Christmas Eve dinner got rave reviews but don't know if I can trust 'em. Food ususally tastes better if I'm not the one
cooking it. Thanks for the input. I did buy and use olive oil spray, as gims suggested. IMO my dressing still needs some
perfecting.