Enjoyable DVDs...

Posted by: jabber

Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/02/09 02:09 PM

Tim Allen's and Jobeth Williams' movie "Jungle2Jungle"
was truly fun to watch. It's light and funny and leaves
viewers with a good feeling. Disney's "Iron Will" was an inspiring film. It's based on a true story. Will Smith in "the Pursuit of Happyness" is also based on a
true story; it was cute and family friendly. "Ladies
in Lavender," was about two, older sisters living alone in pre-war England. It was unexpectedly odd, yet classy.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/06/09 01:42 PM

The Holidays are about the only time we watch movies. Sometimes
if we're on vacation, we'll go to a local theater. Most every
year in March, we go to Celebration City near Kissimmee, Fl.
The last one we saw there was "Wild Hogs"; you can tell I'm in love with Tim Allen!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/06/09 02:18 PM

jabber, we are the same. We always say we're going to watch movies and then can never find anything we feel like watching. We go to the moives maybe six times a year, and it's usually to laugh.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/07/09 03:04 PM

Love to laugh!!!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/07/09 11:50 PM

In most hospitals today, where the patients are terminal, they play comedy movies all day. Never the same one unless requested. They say the patiens stats improve noticeably after laughing at a really funny/silly movie. Laughter really is the best medicine.!!!

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/08/09 03:37 PM

Chatty,
I know that's true. I watch the comedy channel sometimes, if I'm
feeling low. Or I'll watch I Love Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies,
or some other foolishness. The Bible says Laughter is the best
medicine! Can't argue with that!!!!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/08/09 09:48 PM

Jab, I loved Ladies in Lavender.

I also obviously, love to laugh...when you have my waistline, you have to learn to laugh...or my relatives.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/09/09 02:12 PM

I bought the "Pay It Forward" DVD but haven't had time to watch it. My kids buy movies all the time; so, I figured I'd send
it to them, after I see it. I generally don't buy movies because
once I've seen them, I don't care to see them again. Except for
"Wild Hogs"; I've seen that a number of times. Every time I see
it, I laugh equally as much. What a trip!

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/09/09 04:13 PM

I loved the movie Pay it Forward. Have the Kleenex handy. Oh boy, is it ever a tear-jerker...but I loved it and the message is a good one. Speaking of messages, have you seen Message in a Bottle? That's another good one.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/09/09 06:21 PM

jj, you sure that isn't Message in a Bar of Soap?

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/10/09 03:02 PM

Message in a bottle or a bar of soap? And Sweeney Todd and
Borat? I'll have to watch 'em! But I like to travel. And I like
to eat pie. So I hope that last one isn't too gross!!! LOL..
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/10/09 11:33 PM

I just heard of a store in my local mall (which I avoid it at all costs) where you can trade in used DVDs to get used DVDs or new ones for a low cost. Like a used book store for DVDs. Do you have that near you?

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/11/09 02:30 PM

Saundra,
Not that I know of. But it could be I just don't know about it.
Good idea, though.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/12/09 11:43 PM

Saundra they have at least one store here in Vegas I know of where you can trade DVD's...

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/21/09 04:47 PM

GroovyUKlass and I went to see "Marley and Me," at the movie theater, yesterday afternoon; both of us had read the book.
Both of us agreed. The book is far better than the movie. And if
any of you have put your beloved dog down recently, and I know a few have, then be prepared for the powers that be, to rip your heart from your chest and hand it to you.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/21/09 05:23 PM

You know, I was going to see this movie, but I won't now. I wish you hadn't told the outcome! Yipes!

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/22/09 02:32 PM

Sorry! I figured everybody had read the book. Just take a lot
of tissues. It's life. None of us can avoid the inevitable. And I still think the book was better. Please don't be angry. I'm sorry.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/22/09 02:41 PM

Angry? Are you kidding me? NO WAY! We went to see Valkayrie instead and let me tell you, that is ONE MORE POWERFUL MOVIE. I LOVED IT.

I would buy that DVD in a heartbeat. I don't even like whatshisname and he was excellent in that movie.

I think I'll read the book for Marley. Jab...no way would I be angry with you, hun...no way.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/22/09 07:32 PM

Oh, that's a relief. I thought I goofed. But to tell you the
truth I walked out before it was over. When I put Shadow down,
it about killed me. I can't get that out of my mind. So I
thought I'd warn others who had been traumatized in that manner in recent months.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 11:10 AM

Has anyone here seen Momma Mia?

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 01:01 PM

I have. Get ready to move. The whole story is kind of hokie, but the music is out of this world and if you don't come out of the theater dancing, then check your pulse. I watched it twice (rented) just for the music. One downer was listening to Pierce strain to sing. They didn't need to have him sing. He could have just stood there and we would have adored him anyway.

I thought it's a cute chick flick...and I would love to have the soundtrack.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 01:05 PM

Thanks jawjaw! I saw a "Momma Mia" excerpt on Bill O'Reilly's Factor and thought it looked good. That sounds like my kind of movie! I love light, happy stuff.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 01:10 PM

Here's a laugh. Several months ago, I heard that "No Country For
Old Men" was good. After all, it got an Academy Award for best
movie of 2008. I think Tommy Lee Jones is a good actor. So I rented that one and showed it to my brother and SIL on Christmas Eve. I was sooooooo embarrassed. That flick is nothing but killing, killing, and more killing. They just kill people for no apparent reason. So, I'm gun-shy when it comes to professional critics and their reviews.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 01:34 PM

I too like Tommy Lee Jones but I do not like a bunch of violence. That's not entertainment to me. I highly recommend Valkyrie if I haven't already said so. While it has some killing in it, it isn't the blood and guts type thing.

Here are a couple of movies I would recommend if you haven't seen them.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. The Cider House Rules
3. Erin Brockovich
4. Dirty Dancing
5. Dirty Dancing
6. Dirty Dancing
no joke.

Also if you've never seen the movie, Dance with Me, with heartthrob Chayanne and Vanessa Williams, then GET IT! It is a wonderful love story, great dancing, and the music will blow you away. Lots of ballroom dancing involved, but all is done with grace and beauty, plus...fun. There is a lot of humor in this as well but not too much to spoil the romance and drama. I have the soundtrack to this one as well as Dirty Dancing (surprise, surprise) and they are two of my favorites.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 05:39 PM

Thanks jj,
I have seen Dirty Dancing, a number of times. And I loved it.
I've seen Erin Brocovich. Numbers 1 & 2 I have not seen. And I
have not seen Dance with Me. But I will get all three of those.
Somewhere I heard Cider House Rules was good. I can't wait to
see Momma Mia.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 01/24/09 09:16 PM

Can't wait for Dancing With The Stars to start again. Love that.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 02/09/09 03:04 PM

I like the storyline in Mamma Mia but didn't care for the music. That's how different we are. Loved 1, 2 & 3 on JJ's list.

I just saw The Women with Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Bette Midler, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, and more high-powered actresses. All women cast and crew about women and friendship. It's a remake from the 1930's movie that I loved too. Not one man in the movie.
Posted by: Mij

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 02/09/09 11:14 PM

One of my favorite feel-good movies is "Enchanted April," with a wonderful cast including Miranda Richardson, Joan Plowright, Alfred Molina, Josie Lawrence, Polly Walker, Michael Kitchen and Jim Broadbent. It was made in 1991 and I have it on VHS. I just checked Amazon and it is FINALLY coming out on DVD on May 5th. It might be at your video store on VHS or at your library too.

"Two proper Englishwomen, determined to get away from their drab lives and inattentive husbands, find paradise among the serene countryside of the Italian Rivera in this enchanting adventure staring Josie Lawrence and Miranda Richardson.
When the pair rents a magnificent villa for a month, they share expenses with two unlikely companions, an austere widow and a bored socialite. At first, personalities clash, but the hideaway holds a special magic that soon sparks friendships and reminds the women of ways to live and love that have long eluded them."

This is truly an "enchanting" movie. It is one of the few I've seen on Amazon that has an average 5-star rating. I think everybody here would enjoy it. smile

Oh, yes, don't forget to check your library for DVDs. Mine has a large selection and they are free.

Re: Enjoyable DVDs... - 02/10/09 01:05 PM

We have not had a DVD palyer in the house that works in ages. The only way we've watched movies lately is with On Demand, but we rarely remember to do so. Now that my daughter is home, she connected her DVD player to our den TV so I'm hoping to rent and watch some of the movies mentioned here.

Did anyone see HE's Just Not That Into You? I read the book and got a kick out of it. I plan on seeing the movie one of these days.