Christmas story needed.

Posted by: chatty lady

Christmas story needed. - 12/02/10 10:41 AM

Does anyone have a new or even old Christmas story for this thread? We could certainly use one or two???
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/10/10 07:38 PM

Well, my daughter and her husband just experienced what they are calling a Christmas Miracle, so I will share it here.

Both of them work in the newspaper industry at the same paper, which is one of the top 50 markets in the country. As with all newspapers, they have experienced major layoffs over the past few years. And last year, my son-in-law, a sports editor, was laid off.

Then this fall, due to attrition, they brought him back in a temp position. The plan was that he would be there through the football season - which of course runs into January -- longer if the home team gets into the playoffs. Plus, there was a hint that they'd be seeing if they could keep him longer, as there are several void positions on the staff right now.

But a week ago they called him in and told him his last day would be December 31, and indicated they would be letting those unfilled staff slots remain unfilled, for budgetary reasons.

Suddenly the holidays were looking pretty grim at my daughter's house, as the unemployment insurance coverage was almost over and it looked as though my SIL was going to have to start from scratch with job-hunting all over again...

Amazingly, I got an email from my daughter last night in which she has declared a "Christmas Miracle," as corporate has reversed their prior decision and now told him they want to keep him on board through March! He has accepted their offer.

So WOO HOO and Happy Holidays for them! And hopefully sharing this story will give hope to others who are in similar straits.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/10/10 09:11 PM

Great news, Anne! I know they must be relieved.

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/13/10 12:04 AM

The miracle is how valuable of an employee your SIL must be for them to decide to keep him on. It is a Miracle however and I am happy for them and for you able to be happy and relieved for them.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/13/10 09:23 PM

Thanks, Yonah and Chatty. My SIL has a blog, in case you know anyone who enjoys basketball stories... Order of the Court

I don't know much about basketball, but i like reading his posts. (Of course, I am biased.)
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/22/10 08:05 AM

We wanted to spend a Christmas in Florida once. This was in the 50's. My mother didn't think they would have Christmas trees there, so we tied our tree to the roof, and headed down south,...all the way from Boston. When we arrived, there wasn't a needle on the tree, and in front of our hotel entrance they were selling Xmas trees. lol...those were the naive innocent days.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/23/10 11:43 PM

Edelweiss, that's too funny! -- although it probably didn't feel like it at the time.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Christmas story needed. - 12/28/10 01:43 PM

Anne,
I'm happy to hear your SIL has extended employment. That's great!

Re: Christmas story needed. - 01/02/11 02:20 AM

Maybe someone had a unique experience during the Christmas/New Years holiday you could write about? Wish I did but it was a pretty regular, nothing special time at my house...

Re: Christmas story needed. - 01/12/11 02:03 AM

Hopefully something exciting will occur to one of us soon so we have something to put in this thread.

Next holiday story needed. - 01/25/11 02:34 AM

Maybe an upcoming Valentines Day story!!!

Re: Next holiday story needed. - 02/14/11 02:02 AM

If I had a Valentine to write about I would but unfortunately this year I an Valentineless, LOL!!!