My Book Is Out!

Posted by: mattie123

My Book Is Out! - 04/14/06 05:52 AM

Hi Everyone,
I am so thrilled, I just have to tell all of you...that my novel, "The Perfect Dress" just got published. I held the first copy in my hand today.
It took me 17 months to write!
I self-published using a P.O.D. I had no intentions of going through editors, agents and denial letters after learning about the field of writing. But, I am so proud of myself. I designed the cover, I choose the colors, I used my words, I edited my words with help in the english department, of course but I did not have to "settle" with the vast wishes of a traditional publisher. I must say, I can't compare the accomplishment to much of anything I have ever done before. Come to think of it, I have never done anything by myself before- a creation, all my own words and thoughts on paper for the entire world to read. It is awsome.
My dream was to write ever since I was a child. I never did it though, I had too many other things to do like work for food.
I have a website which is: www.thebookperfectdress.com I invite you to check it out..I also invite any feedback about my book..
The book is a boomer book and most women will be able to identify with the main character- a fictional account spanning 30 years of one female's attempt to find that perfect catch. It is also about the bridal and fashion world that she is involved with.
I am now writing my second novel called "Strays".
I hope anyone out there that wants to write does so. If you do a page a day, you can have an entire book completed in a year. It is a great feeling of sheer, personal accomplishment to be able to share words with my peers. If this is something you have wanted to do, just start writing! Good luck!
Thank's for listening to me ramble on and on - no one else would!
Posted by: TVC15

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/14/06 04:40 PM

Congratulations Mattie! What a thrill to hold your own book in your hands!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/15/06 03:25 AM

I read the preface of your book and must say it wet my whistle for more, more, more. I loved the womans eyes on the main page looking out over her ceremonial black garb....Great job!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/17/06 03:41 AM

Congratulations. I plan to use a POD also. I live vicariously through your publication success. Saundra [Smile]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/17/06 05:47 AM

Mary Jane, congrats. And might I say that you did this very quickly. Was the story boiling in your head before you put it on paper?

What POD did you use?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/17/06 09:21 PM

Congrats Mattie! May you sell 10,000 books and beyond!

JJ
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/18/06 10:45 PM

Hi
In a very insightful book Finding Peggy by Meg Henderson a Scottish author there is a connection with ths book.
Peggy the author aunt spends Saturdays searching for a wedding dress with the child Meg. Peggy at the time has no fiance.In time she does marry but dies in childbirth.This event touches the whole family and Meg tracks down the reason.
This book is a social report of Glasgow in the past and well worth reading.

Peggy's story is deeply moving and for me seeing your book rang a bell.

Mountain Ash
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/18/06 11:04 PM

Congratulations Mattie! Whoohoo!! I'm going to your site to read about your book and view the cover.

I think self-publishing is the way to go. I am doing the same. I finally got a copy of my cover this last week. I love it. It is a grand feeling to know our words will be out there touching lives and making them better.

Best of luck to you and may the book angels help you sell thousands.

Sandpiper
Posted by: Sherri

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/18/06 11:14 PM

Congratulations and best wishes. May I recommend The Frugal Book Promotor by Carolyn Howard Johnson. It has tons of good advice on marketing.

Sherri
Posted by: Songbird

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/18/06 11:22 PM

Mattie: Congratulations on your achievement! here's wishing you lots of success!
Posted by: Casey

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/19/06 08:24 PM

Good job! Sticking to writing a book and finishing it takes determination! Congratulations.
Posted by: Renee Russell

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/20/06 01:52 AM

Congratulations!

Renee
Posted by: mattie123

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/22/06 05:53 AM

Hello everyone!
Thanks to all of you for such a nice response to my first book. I appreciate the encouragement.
I appreciate all of the little tips and advice and if I can help you in anyway, please call on me.
Yours Truly,
Mattie123
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/22/06 05:45 PM

Congratulations, Mattie!
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: My Book Is Out! - 04/23/06 10:04 PM

Congratulations! Love the website.