To be published in Reminisce Magazine

Posted by: DonnaJ

To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/12/05 11:43 PM

I sent a story about the 'good old days' almost a year ago to Reminisce Magazine . Last week I received a letter of acceptance, along with a request for pictures from the time of the story, and a current one.

Since it took so long to get the acceptance, I have no idea when the story will be published. I'll let you know when I find out!

But in the meantime, check it out. A friend of mine has a subscription and told me about it. She loves it.

Here's the link:

Reminisce Magazine

[ October 12, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: DonnaJ ]
Posted by: Dianne

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/13/05 01:23 AM

Great site. Congratulations. This is wonderful news.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/13/05 03:25 AM

Donna,
What a great site! Congratulations!
What a nice surprise after waiting so long!
Posted by: angelsmuse

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/14/05 02:57 AM

Donna,

Congratulations.

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/14/05 04:54 PM

Hi Donna,

Congratulations. I checked out their contributor guidelines but couldn't find anything about if payment is offered for published submissions. Is it a payment in copies type situation?

Kelly
Posted by: Evie

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/14/05 05:11 PM

Congrats!!!!! [Smile] [Smile]

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/30/05 12:15 AM

You know, Kelly, it's been so long, I'm not sure, but I think pay is in copies. [Frown]

But I am blessed that I'll be able to give my sister, brother, and mom a copy. They'll be thrilled. Well, maybe not my sister since she's a mischievous 3 year old stinker in the story. lol!
Posted by: chickadee

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/30/05 04:32 AM

Donna J, sorry I missed this post. I must have been fishing. Reminisce Magazine is lucky to have such a talented lady. Can't wait to read it.
chick
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/30/05 09:03 AM

Congratulatons Donna

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/31/05 12:12 AM

Thank you, everyone! I'll let you know when it comes out.
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 10/31/05 02:12 AM

Congrats Donna =0)

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/28/06 05:37 AM

I got an email the other day, and my story is 'tentatively scheduled for the summer issue.' I hope it makes it in. My friend's mom is in her nineties, and Reminisce is one of her favorite magazines, and I'm hoping to send her a copy. She has been in failing health the last couple of months. [Frown]
Posted by: Sherri

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/28/06 06:04 AM

Congratulations Donna!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/28/06 08:00 AM

Oh Donna, it would be so great if you could send her a copy. I bet she'd love that.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/28/06 09:45 PM

Congrats Ms D...you are so deserving! Isn't it amazing how long it takes them from the time they notify you it was accepted, to the actual publication? Holy Moly...Good thing we manage to stay alive!

JJ
Posted by: Louisa

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/29/06 05:25 AM

Congratulations Donna! Isn't that the one that they give you a little red car if your story is accepted? I see the magazine all the time at work and I've been on their website a lot. I have stories on BackWhen.com. Some of them say "a Reminisce reader" or something like that on them.

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 05/29/06 09:46 PM

Thanks, everyone! I don't know about the car, Louisa. That would be nice. I'll have to check out the site you mentioned, too.

JJ, I've talked to several older authors who've said they may be published posthumously! It's crazy.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 06/01/06 06:31 AM

Reminisce is a tricky one. They may only use an excerpt from what you send. They claim not to be looking for material from writers. They do a lot of editing. But if they use yours as a feature, or it is one of the longer ones that is a few paragraphs, or a favorite photo, they give you a 1957 red Chevy bank as a gift for "joining" them. It is an excellent magazine. They have done over their website also. It's great that you got accepted!

Louisa

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 06/04/06 10:08 AM

Well, JJ, I guess I'll be at least another month older. I got the June issue and I'm not in it. They said it was scheduled tentatively for the summer, so I suppose I still have July and August to hope for.

Louisa, they did ask for a picture, too. I sent them a 'then' and 'now' set, and they sent me an email telling me they had approved at least one of them. We'll see. I noticed that they use a lot of short pieces of maybe only a paragraph or two.

I'm holding out hope that it comes in time to share with my friend's mother. She's been very ill.

Should be interesting, too, to see how much my piece is edited. This writing biz surely is an exercise in patience, huh?
Posted by: Songbird

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 06/06/06 11:44 PM

Wow, Donna, I'm so glad for you! You are an inspiration, my dear friend. Congratulations!

Patience? Oh, yes! Patience is a must in this field. But you've made it so far, my friend; and times flies by, so... before you know it-you'll be enjoying your newly published article.

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/12/06 09:06 PM

Hi, everyone! Well, the UPS man left me a package today containing a little red Chevy! So my article should be in the next issue. Whew!

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/14/06 04:24 PM

To follow up: Today the FedEx man showed up! He had a package with copies of Reminisce Magazine, and there was my smiling mug right on the cover! It seems they have two covers - the subscription and the newstand cover. I'm on the newstand cover! A nice surprise!

I had received an email from a friend last night who had already received her issue by mail. She was SO excited. Made my day!

They did edit my story, but very little. Since I sent it in two years ago, I'd have to go back to my files to remember!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/14/06 05:23 PM

Congratulations, Donna! It must really feel good to be a cover girl! (Well, your picture is on the cover!)

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/14/06 06:59 PM

It's enough to make one drink. But I have to ask you, would you want to be doing anything else? I know I wouldn't. Worts and all, it's still the best occupation in the world me thinks...JJ

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/15/06 12:26 AM

Thank you! So can I add 'cover girl' to my signature? LOL!

I put the cover with my picture on http://www.donnashepherd.com

We went out to dinner, and there was a Barnes & Noble across from the restaurant, and there it was on the newsstand. A subtitle says, "Readers recall the '30s, '40s, '50s." I just squeaked in with my story as it's about the 1950's.

Thanks for the congrats. Fun day!

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/15/06 12:34 AM

Wow Donna, I just sent you an email in reply to the one about the cover. This is fantastic news! You go honey child! What a celeb you've become. I would have bought up every copy in B&N...hahah....Such an honor. And they would have been crazy NOT to use your pic for the cover. Such a beautiful face!

JJ

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/15/06 12:40 AM

Oh, you make me blush, Queenie.

Thank you!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/15/06 01:09 PM

Can I have your autograph? I think this is absolutely wonderful and we're all proud of you and celebrating in this great honor. You go, girl.

Re: To be published in Reminisce Magazine - 07/15/06 05:19 PM

Thank you, Dianne. I just got off the phone with a friend, and she was SO excited. Made me excited all over again.