Front Page Story

Posted by: Louisa

Front Page Story - 07/23/05 06:08 AM

My nostalgic story on old drugstores came out in the paper this week. It was the lead story on the front page. (It's a small weekly, but well read around here) It's called "When A Cherry Coke Cost A Dime" and can be found on www.lynnjournal.com

They made a mistake in my first name in the byline and there was no mention of my book. In the online version, they didn't use the bylines at all for any of the stories. But, I was on the front page. [Cool]
Louisa
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Front Page Story - 07/23/05 04:18 PM

What a wonderfully nostalgic read Louisa! AHHHH...those delicious cherry cokes tasted ever so good sitting at the fountain. Congratulations for a front page story in your newspaper. I enjoyed reading it!!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Front Page Story - 07/23/05 05:28 PM

Louisa your story sounded even better than the first read through I did for you, loved the entire concept and it was very entertaining... [Wink]
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Front Page Story - 07/23/05 05:58 PM

Great story. Sure brought back memories but I don't remember cute soda jerks. Just some old man who owned the place. Good job.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 07:29 AM

Lousia ,
I loved the story so much that you sent me that I copy the link and sent to all my friends who went with me to the drugstore here in town.

What a great story and wonderful memories.

Thanks.

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 02:45 AM

Thank you everyone and Diane, not all of ours were cute but a lot were. I couldn't put that some were actual jerks or dorky looking in a paper in a town where some of them still live. I think my next story is going to be on drive-in movies.
Louisa
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 03:18 AM

Louisa, I loved your story. I was too young to hang around the soda jerks but there were a few drugstores like that in my town. I was too small to venture to one on my own.

It's a shame the family owned, soda fountain drugstore has faded in favor of large impersonal chain stores.

Thanks for the memory.
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 03:21 AM

I just saw your post about your next article featuring drive-in movies. There aren't anymore in my area but every time we go to the cape, my husband and I watch every movie at the drive-in theater in Wellfleet. We don't care if it is a "D" grade movie.

http://www.wellfleetdrivein.com/

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 05:28 AM

Thank you.

There's a drive-in down the Cape? I didn't know that. That's for telling me.
Louisa
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 05:50 AM

Lousia ,
I remember the drive-in here . I think I had mention that my father went to the snack place and he got lost and lost the car and us in it. Ha. We would go in our P.Js to the drive-in on a summer night . I think I went once or twice on a date . They are all closed here now. Not sure if Benjens is still open will check the paper .
We would sometimes sit on top of the hood of the car to watch the movie also. I think we finally had to flag dad down or he would have been wondering for days . Ha! I do remember that one.

[ July 23, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

Re: Front Page Story - 07/24/05 04:51 PM

I remember sitting on the hood of the car too. We had several big open-air theaters around here in the 50s and 60s. Those crazy speakers hanging off the windows and trying to get them to work and getting the car situated so everyone could see. [Big Grin] Louisa
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Front Page Story - 07/26/05 09:24 AM

Drive-in's were the best I think. We didn't get to go often because there were six kids. So every year after school let out for the summer, if we all passed to the next grade, we got to go to the drive-in for a special movie. On the way there we'd get to stop at the local ice cream shop and get whatever flavor of malt we wanted to go to the drive-in with. They were special times. I'll be sure to watch for your article. Let us know when it's on your site.Thanks Louisa

Sandpiper