Works vs Excel?

Posted by: Di

Works vs Excel? - 04/11/09 02:09 AM

Does anyone know if these two spreadsheet programs are interchangeable and/or use the same functions/formulas?

We have friends who want to learn Excel from us but they only have Works. Not sure what it's like.

Thanks!
Posted by: gims

Re: Works vs Excel? - 04/11/09 02:38 AM

I thought Works was mostly for word processing. It's what my dad used a long time ago, before we introduced him to and helped him learn Word. I didn't know it had spreadsheet capabilities. Is it like setting up tables in Word? I would think it would be limited in choices of functions, since it's a combo pack... word processing, spreadsheets, data mgmt, +, but you can share spreadsheets between Works and Excel. I know that much. Even if you couldn't, you should be able to import most anything they've done into Excel (tab delimited, etc.). Not that I've ever done it...
Who could possibly put anything over Excel? I was so glad when it came out. I learned on Lotus 1-2-3 --- uck! I'll never go back... never!

Re: Works vs Excel? - 04/11/09 02:52 AM

Works has a spreadsheet program....like a "Suite" of sorts. Good to know that you can transcend Works to Excel. I'll check it out when we go to their house. They offer templates, so I can prob tweak them for them.

I learned on Lotus 123 as well....way back in 1984. I got hooked on spreadsheets back then. But I LOVE Excel, even though I don't use it to it's fullest capabilities.

Re: Works vs Excel? - 04/11/09 11:47 PM

Gims, do you know if it works vice versa? From Excel to Works??
Posted by: gims

Re: Works vs Excel? - 04/12/09 08:33 AM

Yeppers, you open Works, then open the Excel file as if you are using Excel. The end products look basically the same - Excel looking more 'bubbly' as my brother says and Works looking basic in nature. Best I can describe it. BUT, remember, I haven't worked with WORKS, not nearly as much as I have with Excel.
I have both... hardly EVER open the suite... I mostly use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.