Welcome Allison Bottke!

Posted by: Dotsie

Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 07:05 PM

Ladies, during the month of November, our Featured Author will be Allison Bottke. She is a member of the NABBW and the author of many books. Let me introduce you to her so you can visit her site and consider buying her novel, A Stitch In Time, which is the book she'll be discussing in November. She will also share information about her God Allows U-Turn series.

Just to give you alittle background on Allison...here you go...

When Allison Bottke's life changed, it wasn't merely another bend in the journey. It was a brake-locking, tire-screaming U-turn in the middle of a fast moving highway in order to head in a completely opposite direction.
Affectionately known as the “God Allows U-Turns Poster Girl,” Allison’s story is one of triumph over tragedy. Allison is the Founder of God Allows U-Turns ®, an international outreach that includes non-fiction and fiction books, tracts, logo merchandise, a speaking ministry, and a foundation. The cornerstone of God Allows U-Turns is a Christian inspirational book series many are calling “the next Chicken Soup.” The God Allows U-Turns book series is available around the world with 21 books in the U-Turns “brand” currently available for adults, kids and youth. Allison’s first novel (A Stitch in Time) in the lady-lit genre released in June 2006, her second novel (One Little Secret) will release in June 2007. Her novels are being called: “Contemporary women’s fiction with an attitude.”
A frequent guest on radio and TV programs around the country, the 700 Club featured her life story in what has become one of their highest rated programs ever, and she has appeared on the covers of such national magazines as Writer’s Digest, BOND, The Christian Communicator, O.H. Magazine, and Christian Women Online. Allison speaks at events, retreats and conferences around the country and teaches at writer’s events including the Jerry B. Jenkins Writing for the Soul conference held annually in Colorado Springs.
Allison makes her home in southern Minnesota where she lives on a 20-acre farm with her husband. You can read more about current and future projects in development by visiting her web site at http://www.godallowsuturns.com or by stopping by her BLOG at http://www.godallowsuturns.blogspot.com/

I am looking so forward to having Allison here at BWS. More to come...

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 07:13 PM

And here's a message from Allison:

Hello Boomer Girlfriends!

When Dotsie asked me to join all of you on this forum as the Featured Author for the month of November, I was excited for many reasons. The first being that it’s always a joy to meet new friends, isn’t it? This amazing world of cyber-relationships has enabled so many people to connect with kindred spirits—I know, because there are many folks I’ve never met in person that I consider dear friends. From the hundreds of contributing authors whose true short stories are published in my God Allows U-Turns anthology series, to the folks I meet via my blog, in online writing conferences, and at a host of other Internet venues, it’s mind-boggling the outreach we can have today. I’m looking forward to building new baby boomer women friendships!

I’m also excited because I get to share my two newest books with you. One is my first novel and the other is a women’s self-help non-fiction. A Stitch in Time is my 21st published book and my first novel. It just released this past summer from Bethany House and you can read more about this contemporary woman’s “hip-lit” book by visiting my web site: www.godallowsuturns.com

My newest non-fiction (also from Bethany House) is called: I Can’t Do it All – Breaking Free from the Lies That Control Us and it was co-written with best-selling author Tracie Peterson and Dianne O’Brian.

I’m looking forward to some great communication with you regarding your thoughts about both of these books. A Stitch in Time is one of the first contemporary women’s fiction books to tackle the subject of gastric bypass surgery and plastic surgery. It’s filled with fun, fashion and faith. I had a great time writing the character of Dee Decker. For those of you who may be wondering, yes…I had gastric bypass surgery…but Dee’s life is NOT my life, let me make that clear right from the start. I’ve lost 120 pounds and my before and after photos are on my web site at this page: http://www.godallowsuturns.com/?id=162

I Can’t Do It All is a non-fiction self-help book written from the perspectives of three very different women born in three very different eras. We identify some of the lies women have come to believe and replace those lies with spiritual and scriptural truth. This page on my web site talks more about this book: http://www.godallowsuturns.com/index.php?id=131

I’m also happy to answer any questions you might have about the wide world of publish-ing. Since I write primarily with a strong focus on a Christian worldview, I know a great deal about the CBA/ICRS market (Christian Booksellers Association and/or International Christian Retailers) as opposed to the BEA/ABA market (Book Expo American and/or American Booksellers Association.) I welcome any comments or questions relating to writing, publishing, literary agents, book proposals, marketing and promotions, and everything in between.

I’ll be speaking in Jefferson, Texas at the Books Alive! event on November 3-5 to benefit survivors of Hurricane Katrina. If any of my Boomer Sisters are nearby I’d love to meet you! Come out and say hello. You can read more about this event here: http://www.beautyandthebook.com/BooksAlive.cfm

Okay, ladies. I guess I’ve yapped long enough. I really hope you’ll stop by the Boomer Women Speak Forum in November and say hello. I have an October 30th deadline for my second novel and I leave for Texas on November 2nd, but when I return home on November 5th I will be looking at an entire month with NO DEADLINES, NO TRAVEL, NO SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, and NO STRESS. Okay, maybe I’ll have a little stress trying to get my act together from a crazy year – but I am truly looking forward to spending November with my new Boomer Girlfriends. So please, check out my latest books, share this invitation with fellow readers and writers and see you in November!
God’s peace to all,
Allison Bottke, Author/Speaker
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 07:53 PM

Welcome Allison, and congratulations on your success!
Kathy
Posted by: FitlySpoken

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 10:08 PM

Great to meet you here Allison!

You bring so much to the proverbial table ... thank you for sharing & most of all thank you for caring.

Without writers like you, this world would be a little colder & a little darker.

Like I say to all the authors I know ...
Write On!

Catherine
(now I got to go read your blog!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 10:36 PM

Hey Ms A...we're so glad you're our guest next month. And I was only joshn' about teaching you EVERYTHING you know. Honest injun. Just most of it. What? What?

I love to tease this gal....

You all are in for a treat. She is just the best!

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/24/06 11:20 PM

Looking forward to having you here in November and always...now I'm on to your blog too.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/25/06 08:02 AM

What an honor to meet an author of 21 published books! Looking forward to November, when you have time to chat among us.
Oh and that link to publishers and agents is great. Thanks
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/25/06 06:41 PM

Wow, Allison, you've managed to pile up quite a few accomplishments. How do you do it all? I'd love to know your secret. Please tell.

Welcome to the Boomer group. I look forward to hearing more about you and your successes.
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/31/06 03:05 AM

I am really looking forward to meeting you Allison. I look forward to learning and fellowshipping with you!

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/31/06 01:16 PM

Can't wait to get started, Allison!

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/31/06 01:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken, (the Queen? Wrong? Peeshaw!) Allison will be in Texas for the first few days of November, then she will be here with US the rest of the month. She asked if this was okay when we approached her about being the guest author, and of course we said BY ALL MEANS! We're just tickled pink to have her, even if she is off lounging on a couch somewhere, being fanned, and eating grapes. What?

Okay, okay, if you read above, she's in Texas speaking at the Books Alive! convention. But next week, she's ours!

Welcome Allison. We're anxiously awaiting to hear all about your life, your mission, and how God has worked through you. And of course, how you learned everything you know from moi. What? Hmm...tuff room.

JJ
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/31/06 04:47 PM

Can't wait to meet you Allison!
Posted by: Allison_Bottke

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 10/31/06 10:36 PM

Allison checking in....while eating grapes and being fanned with palm fronds by George Clooney look-alikes. Just hit the "send" button on my second novel...it's now officially at the publishers and I am officially able to be a mush-brained lunatic for the next day or two until I leave for Texas. I'll be back and online to meet and greet on 11/6. Please, folks, please have questions ready and tell your friends to join us so Da Queen will get off my case. :-)

And if by chance my name on the left still has me listed as a "Stranger" and my photo still appears as a mustery woman sillouette...will someone please tell me how to fix this?????? Pretty please, with copious amounts of creme brule on top?

Over and out!
Allison Bottke
www.godallowsuturns.com

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 11/01/06 12:47 AM

Your wish is my command....
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 11/01/06 12:48 AM

Hi Allison, welcome to BWS. You have certainly accomplished A LOT! I am interested in the Writing for the Soul conference that meets in my home town of Colorado Springs. Do you have a link for that? I look forward to chatting with you.

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 11/02/06 12:25 PM

I read Allison's book, A Stitch In Time and loved it. It was fun escaping into the glitzy world with her well developed characters. She kept me guessing until the second to last page.

It is Christian chick lit at it's best. Her comments about her faith that are spursed throughout the book were perfect. As a Christian, I've had many of the very same thoughts through the years. It was a perfect mix of glitz and glamour, thrown in with some down to earth folks, and a teeny sprinkling of Christianity to boot.

Re: Welcome Allison Bottke! - 11/02/06 02:46 PM

I also read the book and loved it. As a matter of fact, I read both books. I would recommend either of them but I guess Stitch was my fav...I could get "into" the character and like Dotsie said, the lifestyle was glamorous. I loved visualizing the clothes and shoes.

Allison Checking In and Raring to Go! - 11/07/06 04:34 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm a day late and a dollar short, as the saying goes. I was supposed to check in yesterday but for some inexplicable reason the day got away from me. Might have something to do with flying in from Texas late the night before. Please forgive me, but I'm here now and excited to LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

I've read all of the postings so far, and I'm looking forward to the next month, sounds like we have a good group started!

Thanks to Da Queen for removing my "Stranger" status and giving me an actual name and location. Bless your heart!

Lynnie, here's the full information about the writers conference. The main organization is called The Jerry Jenkins Christian Writers Guild and they have an annual conference every February at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs called WRITING FOR THE SOUL. This year the conference is being held February 15-18 and all the info is on the web site. Go to the main page and click on the CWG Annual Conference link in the right sidebar. I'll be attending as a Faculty Member, you'll see me listed under Editors as God Allows U-Turns. The conference is well worth the money - very professional, amazing speakers and teachers, and sure to jump start any writing career. Jerry does an excellent job. This year he has Tim HaHaye, his co-author of the LEFT BEHIND book series, as one of the keynote speakers, along with Liz Curtis Higgs and a host of others.

www.christianwritersguild.com

Vicki in Tampa asked me two questions regarding my 21 books and my outreach ministry, "How do I do it?" and "What is my secret?"

I think I'll start there in my next post.

Please start posting your questions regarding writing (since this is the Writing Forum...ha-ha) and I will begin to respond as best I can.

Looking forward to a great month! Thanks for having me here.

Blessings and God's Peace,
Allison Bottke
www.godallowsuturns.com

Allison's Debut Novel - 11/07/06 04:41 PM

Before I respond to Vicki's two questions, I'd like to thank Dotsie and Da Queen for their encouraging words about my debut novel: A STITCH IN TIME, as well as comments about my co-authored non-fiction book: I CAN'T DO IT ALL.

I would love to discuss these books in greater length during this month, so feel free to ask specific questions related to these books, or to any of my published books for that matter.

Both of these featured books are available from your local secular or Christian bookstore, as well as on Amazon.com or directly from my web site. If you order from my web site and pay via PayPal, I will gladly autograph the book(s) for you and make sure (personally) that your order is immediately processed so you can have the book as quickly as possible. Send me an email if you want your book(s) personalized. allison@godallowsuturns.com

Onward!

How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? - 11/07/06 05:10 PM

Thanks, Vicki in Tampa, for the questions!

For those of us who are "writers," we write because it's in our DNA. We write because it's the lens through which we view our life and the lives around us. While I can carry an audible conversation with little challenge (ha-ha) writing is my preffered method of communication.

(Side note: SPELLING, HOWEVER, IS NOT A GIFT. And I don't think this Forum has a Spell Check feature, does it? I'm also horribly dyslexic with adult ADD, so I'll apologize ahead of time for any words I might unintentionally slaughter, okay?)

As someone who writes from a Christian worldview, I'm of the personal belief that the "How Do I Do It?" comes directly from God's call on my life. I do what I do not because I've found a niche or a genre that I like or that I feel confident about, although that is true, but because I sincerely feel God has placed me here specifically for the purpose of sharing how faith has transformed my life.

For me, because I am a writer, I have been able to share my faith via the God Allows U-Turns compilation series, via my first non-fiction "women's issue" book (I CAN'T DO IT ALL) and it's clearly evident in my debut novel (A STITCH IN TIME) as some (but not all) of my characters are people of faith.

As for "My Secret?" That's easy. Hard work. Committment. And having a focused STRATEGIC PLAN. And actually...now hear this... WRITING EVERY DAY.

I'm not a particularly gifted writer, I'll never be a literary giant. In fact, I quit school after the ninth grade to marry a young man whose abuse nearly killed me. I've spent years trying to pull myself up by the bootstraps (whatever THOSE are!) and taking classes, attending seminars and writer's conferences, reading lots and lots of "How To" books, conducting research and simply acquiring "On the Job Training" as I learned while I lived.

Where there's a will, there's a way is my simple belief.

Additionally, acquiring thick skin to handle countless rejections, learning from my mistakes, listening to editors and to criticism (and NOT being defensive) and generally having a Half Full as opposed to Half Empty view on life could also be called "My Secret."

Any more writing questions, my fellow baby boomer friends? I'm ready, willing, and able to answer whatever you throw my way.

Until the next time...

Allison
www.godallowsuturns.com

Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? - 11/07/06 05:35 PM

Allison, I'm so glad you mentioned just writing! That's what makes a writer a writer. I'm sure when people hear you're an author they always tell you that they've wanted to write a book but don't have a plan or idea or anything. They seem to think writing is a fun sport, which it can be when you're inspired but it takes a lot of work and dedication too.

I learned something about rejection when I used to do tv commercials. If your aren't chosen it doesn't mean you aren't talented or pretty or whatever. It just means you aren't right for their product. I think it helped me through the mountains of rejections I received. Didn't mean my topic or writing stunk. It just wasn't right for that particular publisher.

Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? - 11/07/06 08:06 PM

Good perspective, Dianne! Writers who really want to succeed at the craft of writing can never take rejection personally. In fact, my MN writers group celebrates the number of rejection slips our members received the previous month because that indicates that they are actually writing and sending materials out into the world!

And, how right you are about folks telling me they've "always wanted to write a book." If I had a dollar for everyone who has told me that over the years I'd be wealthy! As though it were that easy.

I always say that everyone has a book inside of them, every life story is worthy of retelling in some format...but not everyone is capable of writing the story so that #1.)others want to read it, or #2. so that it will actually sell to a publisher.

God bless the child who wants to share their life story, but the hard reality of publishing is that personal memoir stories do not sell unless you are a well known person, or your story is so amazing that people shake their head in awe... case in point "Why I Jumped."

Hmmmm...wonder how/why I got on THAT tangent?

Onward!

Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? - 11/07/06 10:39 PM

Allison, I'd love for you to talk a little about switching gears from writing non-fiction to writing fiction. Not many writers do both.

What made you want to write that first novel?

Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? - 11/07/06 11:08 PM

Allison, thanks for answering my questions. I write for the same reasons. Because I must write. There are stories in my heart that I feel must be told.

You started out with a non-fiction book and planned your promotion strategy around that. You've become quite successful doing that. Congratulations!

I'm with Dotsie. Where did the desire to write fiction come from? Do you plan on writing more novels? Are you thinking of a series?

Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction - 11/07/06 11:12 PM

Good question!

If you were to ask me what I REALLY want to be when I grow up, I would have to say that my ultimate writing passion is for the stage and screen. I spent several years in Southern California as the Playwright-in-Residence of an intimate little theatre, and loved every minute of it. My goal at that time was to make it in Hollywood as a Screenwriter. That never happened - but then I never really tried, I was so caught up in live theatre and then I moved to AZ and then on to MN.

But the love of writing for the screen never left me.

In 1989 when I made my personal U-Turn journey from a belief in New Age Secular Humanism to Christianity, I felt led to share that story, along with the stories of other people who had made similar journeys. Thus began the God Allows U-Turns anthology series.

Stay with me folks, I'll answer Dotsie's question soon... After multiple volumes in this series I became known primarily as an Editor...someone who could compile multiple volumes in a series, and someone who could market, promote, speak, and evangelize...but not neccessarily WRITE.

However, I did include my own short stories from time to time in the God Allows U-Turns anthology, so folks knew I could write. :-)

Several years ago I met Tracie Peterson, the very well known CBA novelist (and best selling author time and time again) at a writers conference in Colorado. She heard me speak and approached me about co-authoring a non-fiction book on the lies that women believe. I CAN'T DO IT ALL was my first non-fiction book that contained my own writing (and not a collection of stories from other people.)

I had several screenplays in various stages of development and one day I got the idea that two of them could be good novels. I began writing them as novels and figured I needed to learn the craft so when I spoke or taught at writer's conferences, I began to attend fiction classes that were being taught by folks like Angie Hunt, Brandilynn Collins, James Scott Bell, Jack Cavanaugh, Gayle Roper, and Tracie Peterson.

It was attending Tracie Peterson's comprehensive fiction clinic that was a turning point in my career as a novelist. For the very first time in my life I shared my fiction with other readers and writers. I opened myself up to Tracie's critique and teaching.

Tracie encouraged me to approach the publisher who already had our non-fiction book, and who already had my God Allows U-Turns series. This was very good for me because they already knew me and my work ethic and my passion.

They didn't know if I could write fiction...until I presented them with a book proposal and several sample chapters. They contracted me for two novels right off the bat.

All I can say is that God is good...all the time He is good!

I cried for days when I got the news.

Long story short, I work hard but I have been blessed. God continues to open doors for me and I continue to do my best to be a good, faithful and thankful servant.

My first non-fiction book written solely by me will release in 2008. I'm working on it now and it is due in 2007. I've just completed my second novel and because I do not have any contracts to write any more novels, I am working on a book proposal for a fiction series. This "business of writing," is a never ending stream of book proposals, pitches, negotiations, contracts, rejections, deadlines, and jumping back on the wheel to do it all over again.

Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction - 11/08/06 12:07 AM

WELCOME my friend! I'm so glad you are here. Now...I'd like to know what has been the ONE thing that you can say has been the hardest thing for you as a writer? If you're like me, you could name dozens of things, but what has been the hardest for you?

Also, I've heard lots of Authors/writers say one of the hardest roadblocks for them was when asked what they do for a living actually telling people they were a writer or author. Some have even said they felt like an imposter. A liar. Did you have a hard time with that in the beginning?

Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fictio - 11/08/06 04:35 AM

Allison, you mentioned "Why I Jumped." That became a sellable memoir because there happened to be a video to go with. In other words, with another visual component, the publisher knew it would be marketable. Otherwise, it's true that unless one is Dennis Rodman or a real true notable, memoirs are hard sells. Oh, so that's why I'm writing another one. I am working on my breast cancer memoir which will include the gifts of cancer. Is that the kind of ms to bring to the CO Springs conference? Thanks, L
Posted by: Phyllis0618

Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction - 11/08/06 05:13 AM

Welcome to the forum:

I can't wait to read your books. Are you going to be in the Oakland County, MI area this year? I would love to attend.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction - 11/08/06 05:43 AM

Allison,

Welcome. What a wonderful story. I'm taking Stitch to read at the hospital this weekend when my Mother has surgery. I'm excited to read it.

What an inspiration and encouragement you are to all of us writers!

The Hardest Thing for Me is.... - 11/08/06 05:49 AM

Leave it to Da Queen to ask a question like this! You are right, there are a dozen or more things that continue to trip me up, but I think I'd have to say that the #1 issue is balancing my time spent online. This includes answering emails and reading blogs and newsletters and such. I can get an early start and before I know it the morning is gone and it's noon!

When I am on a deadline, or doing my best to stay focused on actually writing, I need to stay OFFLINE. Period. Easier said than done, I'm afraid. I'm an email addict. (insert heavy sigh here.)

As for question #2... saying that I am a writer has never come hard for me, but it is an issue for many folks I know. I've been writing since I was a little girl, I've been telling folks "I'm a writer" for decades - even when I wasn't a writer. :-) Alas, delusions of writing grandeur came early for me, the drama queen. :-)

Dianne made a good point about writing personal memoir. The addition of video footage was a plus for that story, but I would hazard to guess that even without video footage the book would have sold - it is a compelling story. Please don't get me wrong, and I don't mean to diminish the work of anyone who has written or wants to write personal memoir, it's just a very hard sell to get a major publisher behind it. However, there are small presses and self-publishing options that are very successful for many folks.

As for the kind of ms to take to the CO Springs writers conference, it depends...what is your goal? Do you want to take classes to help you write it? Or, do you want to pitch it to editors from the big publishing houses? Or, do you want to find an agent? Or...what?

If you are ready to pitch it to a publishing house, do you have a complete book proposal?

Lots of questions...let's talk more about this.

Phyllis, no current plans to be in MI area any time soon, sorry.

Onward!

Re: The Hardest Thing for Me is.... - 11/08/06 02:41 PM

I wanted to add that it's too bad you're so ugly! Not.

On being ugly... - 11/08/06 02:55 PM

Ahhh....the joy of air brush photo touch-ups and cosmetics! Trust me, I'd be in a world of hurt without 'em! (smile)

Re: On being ugly... - 11/08/06 04:32 PM

Since you're sharing all, how about telling us how you got past the "rejections" you MAY or MAY NOT have received in your writing career. Seems everybody has different things they do to shake off the effects of rejections from editors and publishers. What's your tip(s)?

Re: On being ugly... - 11/08/06 08:23 PM

Allison,

You mentioned writing every day. Do you have a particular time of day that you write? Are you working on a manuscript at that time or just writing something like an article?

I find it difficult to divide my time between the things I'm doing to build my 'platform' and the actual writing of my next book.

Re: On being ugly... - 11/08/06 08:48 PM

Allison, I'm an e-mail aholic too! And an Internet browser. I have so many forums and sites I visit on a daily basis. Gotta keep up with networking, right? Do you actually close your e-mail program? I actually have panic attacks when I can't get to my mail. See, I'm *really* addicted.

I like Jane's question. Tell us about your writing schedule.

Writing Schedule - 11/09/06 12:50 AM

Da Queen wonders about how I handle rejections...and if I get them. Of course I get them, and like I said earlier, a rejection means I am working and submitting ideas and keeping at it!

But here is a prime example of a recent rejection I got...I pitched my Parents in Pain book to one publisher (my agent did the pitching) but they rejected it as it was presented and asked me to consider teaming up with a co-author who was a professional therapist or psychologist. They didn't want solely a "layman" writing it.

I submitted it to another publisher and they did NOT want a co-author who was a "doctor" or a professional, they liked the fact that I was a "layman" and approaching the topic as a parent. I got a contract to write that book and it is due in May of 2007 for a 2008 release.

You see what I mean? Had I curled up into a ball after the first rejection I never would have approached the second publisher.

We must use rejections as a way to learn and grow and try something different, or fine tune the pitch. Any number of positive things can come from rejection. It's all about attitude and committment.

As for when I write...I'm an early riser, sometimes working at 4 or 5 in the morning! The KEY to writing anything (for me) is to have a specific dated deadline. Either a REAL deadline (something specific established by a publisher and written in a contract) or my own self-imposed deadline. This is the only way I get things done.

I actually do close my email program when I am trying to get something written!

When I'm working on a book project, I also give myself a daily word count goal, I write until I reach the goal. Could be 1500 to 3000 words, depending on how soon I need to get something completed.

I don't write too many articles these days, mostly working on book manuscripts.

Here's another trick for me...I try to go somewhere away from home for 3-4 weeks at the start of a project and I spend the entire time getting the entire first draft of the book written. Of course, it will go through a ga-zillion drafts and revisions, but getting the first full draft on paper is a major priority.

I will be staying at a friends home in southern california for 3.5 weeks in January. Plan to get the first full draft of my next non-fiction project completed at that time. The ms is due at the publisher on May 1, 2007 for a summer 2008 release.

Onward!

Re: Writing Schedule - 11/09/06 08:39 AM

Hello Allison, thank you for sharing your success story with us.

I agree if your rejection letter explains why they won't consider your book, that that can be even helpful.
In my case, I get piles of standard printed rejections. I'm sure my query wasn't even read once. Since you are a published author, you already have that foot in the door. I can't even get my little pinky in.
I've tried small publishing houses and agents just starting out, but they are bombarded with hundreds of queries per day as well. Since I've never been published, I don't have any thing to show,…sort of feel like I'm chasing my own tail (tale?).
You wrote how you built your way slowly up the career ladder. Is that the only way nowadays? I'm unable to join writer's clubs or meet agents since I live overseas.
Maybe I should look reality in it's face and give it up….But I really don't want to…I actually prefer receiving rejection slips and whining about them.
From a chronic optimist.

GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 12:54 PM

Hannelore expressed a sentiment that is frequently voiced in writers conferences around the country. It's that proverbial "Catch 22" situation.

But fear not! I do see success stories happening all of the time for new authors. Sometimes, it's a matter of reviewing all of your materials and going back to the drawing board to develop a new plan of action, or a new style of presentation.

The first key to all pitches is to have a great Book Proposal. So many new authors are presenting sub-standard materials because they are not on top of what is currently being viewed as the publishing standard for proposals.

Did you know if a proposal is over four pages long it's almost always passed over? This does NOT include the chapter outline or the chapter samples...but the MEAT of the proposal.

I always sugest that authors get Terry Whalin's book called BOOK PROPOSALS THAT SELL. Terry also has a writing blog called THE WRITING LIFE that has VALUABLE INFO on almost a daily basis for writers. Check out his blog here and follow the links to purchase his book.

I do not get kick-backs from sales of his books, but he is a trusted friend and his advice is "right on!"

Go to BOTH of these sites:

http://terrywhalin.blogspot.com/

http://right-writing.com/ways.html

Hannelore, can you send me an email to allison@godallowsuturns.com? I have a question for you.

Onward to all!

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 12:57 PM

One of my favorite sayings is:

Don't put a period where God has placed a comma.

This is a great saying to live by if you are a writer. Stay the course. Keep submitting! You could be one letter away from an acceptance.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 01:50 PM

Would you address query letters? They seem to scare so many writers.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 01:59 PM

Allison,

Is there a story behind the story in Stitch? What was your inspiration? Where did the characters come from? Did you know the ending when you started or did the story create its own ending?

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 03:43 PM

Hannalore, I just have to pop in long enough to say don't give up! If you need clips, try searing out clubs in your area and ask them if they need a newsletter. Bam! You've authored a newsletter for XXX Club. Read your local newspaper and see what kinds of things are being written, on a daily basis...then submit a short article along the same lines, but with a BETTER twist. VIOLA! You've got clips. Go to your local Dentist or Doctor offices and see if they would like someone to start a newsletter for the area...or a brochure....or a phamplet....there you go! You've got clips...

Rejections say you are in the game. They don't say you are out of it. Keep going....and everytime you think you'll quit, visualize the Little Red Engine....remember him? I think I can...I think I can....I think I can.

I KNOW you can.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/09/06 07:43 PM

Allison, my email is on its way.( hurry hurry little email).

JJ, your words just went down like oil lubricating a very rusty Little Red Engine. Thanks so much for your excellent tips! I'm not kidding, I never thought of doing clips. I think I'll enter writing contests too. Just so I have something to show in my query, that is, if I win any.
Boy oh boy, you got me motivated.
I read your newsletter today for the first time too; belly laughs really!

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/10/06 02:40 AM

What is the Catch 22? I think it's that the publishers want a writer to have an agent, and an agent want to take on an author that's been published.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/10/06 12:30 PM

Hanelore has the talent, believe me...She just needs someone to see that and they'll want to publish her book. Its hard with her being in Germany, but it is not impossible.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/10/06 02:42 PM

Allison,
Could you tell us what you feel is your most important marketing tool? Is it radio interviews? Press Releases? The dreaded book signings? Public appearances? What has been the most rewarding to you (and not just in monetary terms).

Friday from Allison - 11/10/06 06:09 PM

Hello ladies!

We woke up to roughly ten inches of snow on the ground today! Sometime in the night I recall waking up and hearing the wind and the sound of rain or sleet or something hitting the window but I went back to sleep without looking. Today, the blanket of white is beautiful! It’s 27 degrees right now (bur!) and I am so thankful I write from my home office!

To answer some questions…

#1. I LOVE your quote, Dotsie! We should all write that and put it on our computer screens! Here’s another quote I refer to often: DO WE CONFUSE MOTION WITH PROGRESS? Hmm, food for thought, eh?

#2. Dianne asked about Query letters. The KEY with any query is to make sure to follow the requested guidelines. If a publisher asks you to “Query with a sample chapter,” then send a sample chapter and not the entire book. If they ask you to “Query with a chapter outline,” then send a chapter outline, and not the entire book. (See where I’m going with this?) If they ask you to “Query with a Proposal, then send a proposal and not something else.

You would be surprised how many people do not read guidelines. For example, I get query letters all the time about story ideas for my God Allows U-Turns anthology series. My writer’s guidelines clearly indicate NO QUERY NEEDED, SEND COMPLETED STORY. We don’t have time to respond to queries; we want to read the complete true short stories from the get go.

So make sure to give the publisher or agent what they are asking for in your query letter.

The next major issue I see a lot of is poorly formatted query letters. Seriously. The competition is intense, ladies, you must make the query letter stand out! That means a crisp, clean, and perfect letter. That means NO typos, NO weird formatting and NO fancy bullets, bells, whistles, graphics, colored thingamajigs, and/or talking icons. Short and sweet, NOT long and laborious. Professional presentation is paramount. I know editors at major publishing houses who won’t bother to read a query letter if it comes in looking less than perfect. If you don’t take the time to present yourself as best as possible, why should an editor take the time to read what you have to say? Cruel…but true.

As authors we cannot fear an assignment of any type, including query letters. This is an opportunity to shine!

#3. Jane asked about my debut novel (bless your heart.)

About the story line… I had gastric bypass surgery in 2000 and thought it might be fun to write about a character that also had the surgery. There is so much “behind the scenes” stuff in weight loss surgery that most folks don’t know about and I could give this fictional character an added dimension that readers might find interesting.

I was also a professional fundraiser many years ago and giving my lead character a career that allowed for some outrageous situations, events, locations, clothing and a host of added elements made for a lot of fun.

My debut novel IS NOT my life story…but it’s often said that many debut novels are sometimes somewhat autobiographical in that a new novelist gleans from real life to get that first book down on paper. That was true for me. “Write what you know,” is also a frequent mantra in writing books and workshops.

What was my inspiration? Along with giving her some of my own personal characteristics, I wanted to write about a character who was a new Christian—whose walk of faith was relatively new and thus enable her to lapse back and forth between two worlds from time to time. I was also inspired by the transformational inner journey a person goes through when their outer journey is so transformational as it is when having weight loss surgery. My character lost 150 pounds and it was a new life for her. But was the grass greener on the other side? Ahhh, the age old dilemma.

How did I develop the characters? In fiction, you need your protagonist and your antagonist and a host of other characters as well. When I sat down to write A STITCH IN TIME I made a list of characters I thought would be fun to follow. Some stayed in the book; some went by way of the big fat red ink pen. (smile) I then wrote out detailed character descriptions, including the back story of every character…those things you’ll never know as a reader but things I MUST know as a writer, such as where they grew up, what their parents were like, what their childhood was like, etc. etc.

What about the ending? I knew the basic ending I wanted, but as I wrote and the characters evolved, the route I took to get to the end changed- but not the end I had in mind. Some writers say they never know how their story will end up until they get there. I find that so hard to understand. Certain things need to occur in order for a certain ending to happen…so we must write to that end result….of course like I said, things leading up to that ultimate ending may change, but I feel the end needs to be clear in my mind when I start.

NOTE: What do you folks think of how I ended the book? Please let me know what characters you liked best or least. I’d love your feedback! Did you enjoy First Person POV?

#4. Lynnie…the “Catch 22” is that typically a publisher doesn’t want to see your work until you’ve been published but how can you get published? Or…often an agent will not review your work until you can show them something has been published but you can’t get published because the publishers want you to have an agent first...and on and on it goes…a vicious circle. Of course there are always exceptions to those rules, but it can be frustrating at times!

#5. And last but by all means NOT least, Da Queen asked about the most important “Marketing Tool…” and the most “Rewarding…” (leave it to her, huh?)

While there are a host of marketing tools I utilize, by far the most vital has been my STRATEGIC BUSINESS PLAN. I went into my business/ministry with a detailed 5-10-15 year business plan that I used as my guideline, as well as sharing it with my potential publishers and literary agent. When they were able to see that I was clearly focused on my writing as a business, that I fully understood all of the variables to conducting my writing as a business, it made them more receptive to taking a chance on me.

As for rewarding…I love teaching and speaking at writer’s conferences. I love to see new authors get published. I love mentoring folks along the path. We’re all in this together and it will all come back around full circle one day. I receive great joy in watching others succeed.

Okay ladies! That’s all for now. I’ll be back online later tonight. Have a blessed day to all!

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/10/06 06:42 PM

Chatty, thank you, ...here's sending you a big hug!

Allison, I'd like to quit work right now...and just follow your plan. Who needs food and heat? Got to get my old slippers, mittens, dry crackers and tea and work through your post step by step.
It takes someone very special to
"receive great joy in watching others succeed."

Hannelore

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/11/06 01:33 AM

Allison, you gave us excellent information. I never considered a business plan for an author. JJ, why do you call it the "dreaded book signing." It seems to me that it would be fun to have humor books to sign. I would expect that everyone would be in a good mood when they buy your book, then ask you to sign. Dianne has also said she doesn't like signings but prefers presentations.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/11/06 07:26 PM

Good question and I don't mind answering it at all. WE are not in charge of book signings and I'm just the type that likes to be in charge of everything I do. (like that was transparent! hahaha .. ahem)...They are a hit and a miss. It depends on how much time I have to advertise, talk it up, put out flyers, call TV and radio stations, etc..etc. Some book stores do this leg work FOR ME, while others say they will, then you find out they not ony DID NOT, but they didn't even order ANY of your books.

I've NEVER gone to a book signing without books in my car. Just for that one reason right there. And if possible, I tell them up front not to worry with ordering them because I'd be happy to supply the books. I count um, I control um. I have been to signings where I've sold as little as 10 books. Then I've had others where I sold as many as 65. By all rights, the place where I sold 10 should have been the biggest seller. It so unpredictable.

You wouldn't think weather would play a part, but it does. Rainy outside? People don't stop off at the bookstores. Snowing? Worse. College Football season? Could be your big selling time because wives escape to town while the games are on. Then again, in some towns, EVERY freakin' body goes to the football games.

So the variables are there and they don't apply to everybody or every town. If I say rainy weather keep people away, someone else would say, "But I sold 100 books during a storm." So...like I said, it's a hit and a miss.

When I speak, I sell to nearly everyone in the crowd. And it's not because I'm a great speaker, but because I threaten to keep talking unless they buy...what?

My biggest complaint at book signings is the author usually goes to a lot of trouble to make it work for them (and usually happily so!), to sell books. You get excited, you have everything perfect or as good as you can, and then some times it works ... and some times it doesn't.

But it has been my experience that the place to sell lots of books is NOT at a book signing. It's through newsletters, networking, contests, and word of mouth.

Have I beat that dead horse enough? hahahaha..ahem...cough...ahem...JJ

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/11/06 11:54 PM

Wow, JJ, great answers. Thanks so much. JJ, Allison, others, what do you use as a "close" to get your listeners to buy your books at a presentation?

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/12/06 01:39 PM

Threats.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/12/06 01:50 PM

Allison, let's talk the pros and cons of Agents. And how did you get yours? Some authors say GET AN AGENT. Other says, YOU DON'T NEED ONE.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/12/06 03:05 PM

Threats. You crack me up!

Agents and Book Signings - 11/12/06 06:37 PM

Hello Ladies!

I took the day off yesterday...sorry to leave y'all hanging! But I'm back!

Da Queen said it quite well, and I ditto just about every word regarding book signings. I've found that as new authors we have stars in our eyes about the prospect of a book signing. Yet the reality quickly removes the first blush of romance once you have experienced a few nightmare signings.

And trust me, MOST of them are nightmares because there are so many variables...unless you are John Grisham or Danielle Steele.

Don't get me wrong, I love talking with people and sharing my books, and we never know who God will send into our path as we make our books available at book signings, but unless you are a big name draw, or unless a tremendous amount of advertising, publicity and/or marketing has taken place, the chances are high that very few people will attend.

Enough said on that topic.

Lynnie asked about a good "close" to encourage folks to buy books after a presentation. Hands down, beyond a shadow of doubt, when I read an excerpt from any of my books in the course of a talk, those books sell very well. It's the "show me" don't "tell me" method of selling.

Find a section you can read...the key is not too much or too little, but just enough to whet their reader's appetite. It works every time for me.

Da Queen asked about Literary Agents and it's funny because I had this conversation at great length just a few days ago. You are correct, some folks prefer to conduct their own contract negotiations and they are good at it. But there's more to it than that...

The publishing world is not the same as it was, say, even six years ago when I got started. The competition has increased exponentially and where some large publishing houses used to accept "un-agented submissions," many of the more reputable publishing houses no longer accept manuscripts, proposals, or even queries that are un-agented.

This helps them to "weed out" the grain from the chaff, as it were.

But let's say you can get access to an editor, perhaps you've met someone at a writer's conference or at an event, and let's say they come back and offer you a contract. Do you really want to act as your own agent and discuss the delicate intracacies of finance? Do you even know enough about first and second rights and serial rights, and international rights, and film and TV rights? And how about foreign language rights and kill fees and percentage payouts and...on and on and on?

In our litigious society, companies have had to go to mind boggling extremes to protect themselves, publishing houses are no exception, and this has equated to the use of terms, verbiage and legalesse that requires someone well versed in the publishing field to interpret.

Plus, a good agent knows what comparable authors are being paid, and they know what trends to look for in contracts, and they can speak on your behalf to discuss money which I personally believe is NOT what I should be talking to my editor about in the first place. I want to be a writer, not an agent. I want them to think of me as a creative entity, not the person who negotiates a contract, or who has to handle financial issues in the event something comes up.

In many ways, it's all a matter of perception. By having a professional literary agent, an author is considered to be equally professional.

Plus, a literary agent knows what other publishing houses are looking for, and they have personal contacts with editors and they can actually get your book proposal into the hands of these editors (instead of the cold call mailing an unagented manuscript or query gets.) This is a valuable asset and worth every penny of the 15% they get paid.

Long story short, you can tell I am "Agent Friendly." My husband owns a real estate brokerage firm and we discuss the "For Sale by Owner" folks all the time...kind of the same thing but in a different business. He gets a lot of clients who suddenly find themselves in possession of a nightmare purchase agreement that contains things way over their head. Plus, it's very hard for a owner to haggle (aka: NEGOTIATE) on their own behalf - it can be uncomfortable.

Okay, so there's my chatty, long-winded response. Whew! I'm sure y'all are getting way more than you bargained for in asking me to host this months forum...I can't shut up!

Yada-yada-yada~!

Have a blessed Sunday!

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/12/06 07:20 PM

Allison,
Great response and I'm sure all of us took it to heart. But given all of that, could you now give tips on FINDING and CAPTURING an agent? In general terms, of course.

Be as long-winded as you want, we love it. Just call me Sponge-Georgia Round Pants. I'm soaking it all up!

JJ

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/12/06 07:38 PM

Allison, do you use the same agent for both non-fiction and fiction? You've been so great at giving such detailed answers. I really appreciate it.

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/13/06 01:00 AM

Same agent for both fiction and non-fiction, at least for now, seems to be working out great.

As for finding an agent...do your homework first. Pick up the Literary Agent Market Guidebook, or the Writers Market (which has a section on agents.) Do online searches to see who is accepting new clients....and who reps books like those you write (or want to write.)

Then develop a crisp, clean, professional proposal to wow the agent! Make sure you send them what they ask for. Every good agent will have a web site. Check out my agent's web site at: www.stevelaube.com

Onward!

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/13/06 10:21 AM

Gee, Allison, have you ever thought of being an agent?
Hannelore

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/13/06 01:06 PM

Allison,
I think a lot of writer's may not know the value of a business plan and could use more information. I hestiate to call it goal-setting because that term screams "work" to a lot of people, but essentially that's what it is. A measurement so you can see how you're progressing. Or not progressing.

Would it be too personal for you to share how you developed your business plan. I'm talking specifics....like did you have a template to follow? Did you learn to do this in a course you took? Self-taught? What resources could you suggest for building a sound forecast for their writing business? How did you come up with your long-term goals?

These are questions that are just popping out of my head. I'm sure you can best described the process yourself.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/13/06 08:43 PM

I had an agent who did all of this for me so I would like to also know more. Thanks for all of your detailed replies. You're doing such a great job.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/13/06 11:32 PM

Allison, thank you for sharing this enlightening information and your valuable time. I wrote a nonfiction book and spent one year sending proposals to publishers. It's about oral health and is a hard sell. They didn't want this book but asked about others I may have so I think my pproposal was good. I'm going the self-publishing route rather than do nothing at all because I want to help people. Any suggestions?

Don't worry about JJ and her use of threats and talk of capturing agents. JJ, are you armed?

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/14/06 01:13 AM

Allison, could you please add some talk on print-on-demand such as Authorhouse? Would you recommend that to Hannelore? Saundra, how far have you come in your self-publishing efforts? Allison, have you heard of how an author can move a book from POD to mainstream marketing? I wish that more writers would invest money in editing before they go POD or self pub. I see way too many self-published books with way too many typos. This has given the POD business a bad name. On the other hand, I used POD because I had been diagnosed with cancer. It was my life-goal to get TEARS out into the world in the hopes that it would benefit others. I had done the agent/publishing Catch 22. When I learned I had cancer, I wanted immediate results for publishing in case I didn't make it through the cancer. But I did make it...and now I am writing another memoir about the cancer experience. So, enough about me. What do you think re: POD & SP?

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/14/06 01:49 AM

Lynnie, I'm with Dogear Publishing (POD) and waiting for the first proofs (two weeks to go). I didn't want to wait any longer either. I have something I want to share and am willing to put my money where my mouth is (no pun intended). I did tons of research and liked Dogear best after reading all of the contracts. Yes, I went through several editing processes.

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/14/06 07:44 PM

Allison,

I'm very interested in the business plan as well. I went the subsidized publishing (The Author's Press) route as well and do not have an agent at this point.

I had my manuscript professionally edited prior to submission and then they did additional line editing. I was like you girls...anxious...I haven't regretted my choice.

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/14/06 07:48 PM

I didn't go subsidy publishing, but I am published with a small press publisher. One thing they don't have is the resources to put a lot of marketing behind each book. They'll send out a press release and submit your book for review to wherever you'd like. But, that's about it. It's my job to market and promote my book. I've taken some great promotions classes and learned a whole lot about marketing books and myself as an author.

I'd be interested in hearing about your business plan as well.

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/15/06 10:01 PM

Vicki,

My publisher does the same thing with press releases and they have helped with a couple of events. From what I've learned, the author has to do most of the marketing unless they are a really big name, even if they are with a major publisher.

I am learning a lot of self-promoting as well...like it or not!

Re: Agents and Book Signings - 11/16/06 12:53 AM

Ladies...

So sorry I have been absent...I'll be back online very early tomorrow morning and plan to answer EVERY outstanding question in detail.

Blessings!

Plans and Publishing - 11/16/06 01:47 PM

Good Morning Ladies!

Let’s start with Hannelore’s post on 11/13…

#1. Thanks…but no thanks...on being a Literary Agent. (smile) Although I love the process of writing and helping other writers to develop their talent…I do not love the major reason a person needs an agent in this day and age. And that is to negotiate a good (and legal) contract. The intricacies of contract negotiation require a mind able to understand figures, percentages, profit margins, rights, and the ever-changing industry standards. Knowing all of this (and more) is what makes a good agent. In any business, writing or otherwise, we must know our strengths and when to delegate or hire other professionals to handle other aspects of our business. It’s funny how writers think they should “do it all,” including editing their own work, agenting their own contracts, designing their own covers, and distributing their own books. Sure, it’s okay to be a multi-tasker…and many women are very good at this. However, it takes a wise woman to know when her time and energy is best utilized elsewhere...and to be willing to get help.

#2. On 11/13 Da Queen asked more questions about my business plan. I’m going to start out with commenting on what she said about hesitating to call it goal setting because that “screams of work.” And, my dear jaw-jaw, while I understand the jest with which you shared those words (smile) I’m here to say that writing and publishing is NOT for the weak…it is very hard work. To succeed today…in the competitive market where literally thousands of new books hit the bookstore shelves each and every month…you’d best be willing to work hard. Period.

And that means knowing what your goals are…and establishing a strategy to reach those goals. It’s funny how we’ll get out the Atlas to plan a road trip, or log on to Map Quest to get detailed directions to get from point A to point B in a timely and direct manner…but we don’t think about developing some kind of road map (aka: Business Plan) to help us get where we are going career-wise. Instead, we wander aimlessly, taking wrong turns, circuitous routes, and often hitting dead ends. Something to think about, eh?

I learned strategic planning in my fundraising and development career. I took classes, read books, and attended seminars. Today, there are countless books available and the online resources are mind-boggling. Your business plan can be as detailed as you want it to be. Mine is a 5-10-15 year plan started in 2000. I teach a class on strategic planning for writers. In fact, I have an audio CD available on this. Even better yet, I will be conducting a series of teleseminars in the coming month on this very topic. When you have a minute, ladies, please visit my web site and scroll down to the bottom of the home page and sign up to receive my periodic newsletter. You’ll have to confirm your subscription request so make sure to check your email for the reply confirmation after you sign up. I’ll be letting folks know about my writing teleseminars in the coming weeks. Have no fear, you will NOT be inundated with newsletters or messages from me and I never sell or share my mailing list.

#3. On 11/13 Dianne said, “I had an agent who did all of this for me.” Are you serious? You had a literary agent who developed your business plan for you? Perhaps I misunderstood you? Typically, a Literary Agent does not develop an author’s business plan. Nor do they work on promotional or marketing plans…that is not their job. Most agents have many clients and doing this additional task would make it pretty tough to do their jobs as literary agents. Plus…that is usually not their expertise. Sure, an agent will help you to discuss your long range goals, and they must know what your long term plans and goals are so they can best represent you. But I’ve never heard of a literary agent developing a personal business plan for an author. Tell me more, Dianne!

#4. Saundra shared her publishing experience regarding her book on oral health and right away I can see that this in a very specific “niche market.” Publishers today have a bottom line formula for seeing if a book will cash flow and specific niche markets are a tough sell. Have you thought of connecting with the American Dental Association to see about developing a partnership with them? Self Publishing (SP) and/or Print on Demand (POD) may be excellent ways to go with a project like this…but you still have the issue of distribution avenues once you get the book published. That is why a “speaking platform” is especially valuable in any niche market books.

#5. Lynnie asked about SP and POD and I agree with you about wishing that more writers would hire professional editors! The level of work being produced by what used to be called “Vanity Presses” has increased exponentially with the companies available today…but there are still those companies willing to print anything…in any stage. Careful research of SP and POD’s is critical. I judged the Self-Published Book Awards for Writer’s Digest Magazine one year and I was amazed at the variation of quality and professionalism in the books. I personally feel that SP and POD can be a very good way for some writers to go…especially when they have a specific niche market book or when they have a strong speaking platform. For instance, a plastic surgeon I know specializes in treating only patients who have had weight loss surgery. He speaks all over the country to large groups of people on this topic. He could sell a boat load of books to the audience members…but a mainstream publisher would most likely not publish his book because the numbers wouldn’t pencil out.

Someone asked about the potential to have a SP or POD book go mainstream and get picked up by a mainstream publisher. I never want to say never, because there are stories where that does occasionally happen. But they are few and far between. My personal feeling, and again this is not to say I am right or wrong, there are many schools of thought on this and each situation must be looked at specifically…but on the whole I personally feel if a writer has a desire to write and they have talent and passion and they have written a good book that will appeal to a large audience, then I feel they should develop a dynamite book proposal, work to get an agent, and try their best to get a mainstream publisher. If that fails after a concerted effort…then I say go for SP or POD. But again, this does not hold true if you have a very narrow or defined target market or niche constituency.

This also does not hold true if you feel that time is of the essence and you need your book published now. There are so many variables in this crazy industry!

#6. Jane and Vicki asked about the Business Plan again, as well as addressing the issue of publisher resources for marketing a book. This is a hot button topic. For those of us working in the industry, we know first hand the reality of this issue. I am totally clueless why so many new writers have the impression that all they have to do is write the book and readers will come. That once they submit the completed manuscript to their publisher that their work is over. Ha! No way, Jose! It’s only just begun.

The authors working today are all very involved in conducting their own marketing and promotions…that is, the authors who want to build their readership and continue writing. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules, and once you’ve “really made it” (i.e. Danielle Steele, Stephen King, Nicholas Sparks, etc. etc.) you don’t need to conduct a whole lot of marketing and promotions because your loyal readers will buy everything with your name on it.

I would have to say this is the single most defining issue today for new authors breaking into the publishing field. Once you get that first contract how and what do you do to get the word out about your book and thus increase readers and increase sales?

Because, dear baby boomer friends, the cold and cruel fact of the matter is that a major part of the publishing business is about numbers and bottom-lines and cash flow. All business is at some level…and it should be...income and expense is a part of what a business is. I work in the Christian publishing industry, and while the publishers and editors I am blessed to work with have a deep concern about sharing faith with readers…while they often pray with me and have a real concern for my passion and ministry…they are also operating as businesses. Period.

Okay, gals, I think I’ve been long-winded enough for now. Whew! How about if I ask y’all a question? Since we are talking about promotions and marketing, what methods best attract you to purchase a book, and what methods detract you?

And as always…feel free to ask your questions…any questions…I’m here for the month!

Have a blessed day!

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/16/06 03:43 PM

How wonderful to find someone that leaves no question unanswered. Thank you! And that's why I want to answer your question right away.

When I go into a bookstore just to browse around, it's usually before I'm going on a trip. I'm looking for a book that will entertain me. Whether it's a thriller, travel book, or romance, it doesn't really matter.

The title is obviously the first contact, but for me incredibly important. It should awake my interest enough so that I'll pick up the book, turn it over, dig my glasses out of my horribly over filled pocketbook and read the book jacket. If that's interesting enough, I'll look for a chair and start reading the first chapter. If I like it so far, then I'll leaf through it and read some random page. If everything passes, I'll buy the book.

I love watching book discussion programs on TV. I've bought about 10 recommended books after watching those shows, and they were all hard backs! I don't get Oprah Winfrey, but if I did, I'd probably read what she recommends as well. I've also bought books that were recommended in Time magazine.

What I find very important is if I should order a book over Amazon, I want to be able to read the first pages before purchasing. I always read the comments, and allow myself to be influenced by them.

You have a blessed day too, Allison.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/16/06 10:55 PM

I wasn't clear. My agent wrote the query for the publishers he sent my ms to. I did my own marketing plan and explained how I would work with my publisher to get the book out into the world. I speak a lot and have a website, which was very helpful.

Reviews attract me to books. I have little tear sheets in my purse in case I happen upon a book store. It's so easy to forget otherwise. I have neck problems so it's almost impossible for me to scan the shelves with my head tilted sideways.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/17/06 01:44 AM

Cover designs, color, something on the cover (usually a picture) that leaves me thinking, "what's inside this book?"

Like if I saw a cover that had a little girl standing in the middle of a busy highway looking back over her shoulder, I would probably pick the book up to see what was inside. Did her Mom just leave her? Was she abandoned? What? SEE?

If a cover is busy all over, I'll pass it buy. If it is overpriced in my mind, I won't take it off the shelf.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/17/06 11:21 AM

Allison, i would love to hear more about your God ALlows U-Turns books.

What gave you the idea to begin this series? When did you publish the first book? Do you gather all the stories and edit them? Are you collecting stories for another book?

FYI: I tried to learn some of this on your site, but the links that would tell me more about this project didn't work. If you want to know which links I'm talking about, email me and I'll be happy to cut and paste cut and paste for you.

By the way, I think the idea for this project is brilliant. I am a firm believer in our stories healing others. You go girl! You are doing your share to make disciples of all men. God is using you in a powerful way. You are so wise to listen. Just think of all the hearts you have turned toward Christ.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/17/06 10:31 PM

I look at the title first. See how it grabs me. Then it's the cover of the book. If I'm still interested, I'll flip it over and read the blurb. That's about it. I'll take it if I'm intrigued.

I pick up a lot of my books on Amazon.com as well. And I read the reviews to help me determine if I want to buy the book.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/18/06 02:20 AM

Hannelore, you could always get the Oprah book club info from the web site. What makes me buy a book? word-of-mouth. I have a limited reading menu right now. I mostly read memoirs and self-help on such entertaining topics as sexual assault, domestic violence, and suicide. I want to know HOW people overcome adversity. Covers don't mean much to me. "A Million Little Pieces" had a cover that pictured the insides of capsules of meds coming out all over the place. While I enjoyed the colorful imagry, the cover had nothing to do with picking up the book. I do read reviews in Time, etc. and nowadays I read the readers' reviews on Amazon before choosing a book to buy. But I don't always buy. "Why I Jumped" is on my waiting list at the library. If I bought every book...I do like it when someone gets me out of my comfort zone of reading and sends me a novel that is not psych or soc related. I was in a Christian mega book store this week. There were a lot of cross over titles.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/18/06 02:20 PM

I'll pick a book up because of the cover...but it's the back cover and what's inside that counts!

I've learned over the years to flip through and read some of the actual text to see if it is a style that will engage me. Reviews will tempt me, but I've bought too many books that other people loved and I hated to rely on them.

I will usually buy a book if I've seen or heard the author and liked them.

Re: Plans and Publishing - 11/18/06 02:42 PM

Thanks for the tip Louisa, I'll surf through Oprah's site. Does anyone go by what books she recommends? Have you been disappointed or was it everything she promised it to be?

JJ, if I saw a book jacket like that, I'd pick it up too. That's an awesome idea. Wow, you should write a book according to that jacket. It might make the best "picked up book" on the market.

Allison Checking In... - 11/18/06 08:50 PM

Good afternoon ladies!

Just want y'all to know I didn't fall off the planet. I'll be back online later today or tomorrow to respond to recent questions. Have a blessed day to one and all!
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Allison Checking In... - 11/19/06 05:46 AM

I just read this entire thread. It's SO informative and challenging!

Allison, you have a heart for sharing your faith which inspires me. Thank you for your openness and willingness to help us along the road toward publication.

I'm going to Mount Hermon next March (I won a full scholarship! Yay!) and wonder if you might be there.

I'd have to say that I'm an impulse book buyer. If the cover catches my eye, I flip it over to read the back. If it's nonfiction, I look for credentials. If it's fiction, I look for credits. I buy a lot of books at Sam's Club, and have a Wishlist on Amazon. Alas, my stack of books to read is growing, and budgeting my time is always an issue.

Glad you were featured! Fun!

Re: Allison Checking In... - 11/19/06 10:50 PM

Allison, you take your time dear friend. We know you give us 100% when you are here. You're doing a terrific job.

Re: Allison Checking In... - 11/20/06 01:12 AM

If the title, cover and review interest me I want to read the first page and find out if the writing is really the story they're trying to sell me (it isn't always). I've finally learned that I don't have to finish every book I start..I can stop reading a book I don't like.

Allison, the ADA doesn't normally do book reviews but I will contact the editor of the ADA News(letter) and inquire more. Partnering with the ADA is a great suggestion and I have a publicity person who may be able to help me. Thank you for that suggestion.
Posted by: Bathbuddys

Re: Allison Checking In... - 11/20/06 05:25 AM

I read a book one time because of the title.
I didn't even read the back of it and when I read the book, I now pick up different authors instead of the same ole same ole.
I love the Wizard of Oz movie and the title of the book was "Follow the yellow Brick Road" and maybe Allison would like this one to read as not only is it about Domestic Violence, it is a woman writer who's mother was a very well known singer writer in the Christian genre.
Very well written book and very down to earth.

Dianne and Chatty, you would love this one too.

Nancy

Re: Allison Checking In... - 11/20/06 03:46 PM

Thanks, Nancy. I'll check into it. Who was her mother?

BACK COVER COPY - ALLISON'S THOUGHTS - 11/21/06 12:06 PM

Great feedback about how we select our books. I, too, am an “impulse book buyer.” Like many of us on this thread, I‘m a visual person and look at a cover first. Then, I read the back cover copy…which brings me to a great writing exercise I want to share with y’all.

If you currently have a book project in mind, or if you’ve already written a book (this goes for both fiction and non-fiction) I encourage you to sit down and write your own BACK COVER COPY. Writing this tight is a lot harder than you think.

This is such a good exercise, that I have begun to include this text as a section in ALL of my book proposals. BACK COVER COPY has its own heading in my book proposals and this is where I include my “grab you by the seat of your pants short-n-sweet overview.” This text block must be no more than 200 words maximum and its better if it’s between 100-150 words. As you can see, this isn’t a complete overview, or even a synopses…it’s exactly what it’s called, BACK COVER COPY.

Of course this does NOT mean this is the actual back cover copy that will eventually go on your book, but if it’s good, the publisher will gladly use it, or at least incorporate aspects of it within the back cover copy they will produce. Remember, when we write we must always have our target market readers in mind. When writing back cover copy your target market is the reader who has picked up your book from a ga-zillion other books on the shelf. Perhaps they liked the cover design, maybe the title spoke to them, maybe the author who wrote the endorsement quote on the cover is a favorite, or maybe even the color of the cover caught their eye…whatever the reason, picture someone standing in an airport bookstore, or in Wal-Mart, or at their local chain bookstore, or maybe they are sitting at their desk and reading the cover blurbs online at Amazon.com. Got that picture of your target market in your mind? Okay, now, you have less than one minute to grab this particular readers’ attention. Less than one minute, ladies.

See why back cover copy is so vital? Try this writing exercise and let us know on this thread how it worked for you. This is an especially good writing exercise for books in progress…even if you’ve only just begun and aren’t even certain how your book will end.

The first back cover copy that I wrote for my debut novel, A Stitch in Time, was 352 words. It conveyed the overall gist of the book for the publishers…but it was too long. Here it is:

As a successful fund-raising executive in Southern California, Dee Decker’s glamorous job revolves around one gala event after another. In a world populated by highly competitive, impossibly thin, perfectly coiffed, designer outfitted women who lunch-for-a-living, Dee is extremely overweight but nonetheless has a well-earned reputation of being cool, calm, collected and in control. That is until she discovers her husband has been having an affair and their two spoiled adult children who still live at home knew all about it. A Stitch in Time spotlights the disintegration of a family without faith and their survival as Dee embarks on a journey of transformational change and self-discovery.

After leaving her husband and moving into the beautifully furnished home of a business associate in the city of Orange, Dee undergoes gastric bypass surgery and in less than one year loses 150 pounds. Several plastic surgeries ensue, and in a short time Dee truly does become another person—all the while taking on more and more special event responsibilities including the development of a major fundraising campaign for a soon-to-be non-profit arts organization in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Back and forth she travels—from one state—one world—to another. Is divorce the answer? How could she have raised such horrid kids? Is the grass really greener on the other side? Who’s in control? As her past and present collide, forcing her to make painful decisions about the future, Dee experiences a significant spiritual shift—an occurrence that changes not only her life, but eventually the lives of her family as well.

Narrated in Dee’s smart, refreshingly transparent voice, Stitch takes us on a journey of the painful, poignant and sometimes hilarious self-image struggles that impact Dee’s understanding of life, marriage, faith, family, and forgiveness.

A Stitch in Time raises the questions of what happens when we strive to be perfect in an imperfect world—when our insecurities, fears, and the inability to forgive, keep us distanced from those we love. Dee’s focus on outer beauty and self-improvement leads her to discover a timeless truth—a truth that will bring inner beauty and change her life.

– The End –

While the above text was NOT used on the back cover, my publisher (Bethany House Publishing) used sections of it in their catalog, in press releases, and shared it with their distributors and sales team. This tight overview enabled their team to better visualize the book.

Now, this is the back cover copy that actually appeared on the book. It is 90 words long.

Dee is out to prove that a middle-aged Christian woman can be faithful, fashionable, and fabulous! In the course of one year Dee Decker…has gastric bypass surgery and loses 150 pounds…separates from her husband…buys a whole new wardrobe…flourishes in her glamorous fundraiser job…and becomes a Christian. She’s a new person inside and out, and her future looks bright. But then a job offer sends her life in a direction she hadn’t expected. Her past and present are about to collide in a major way…and Dee didn’t bring the right shoes! - The End -

Okey dokey. I’ll close this posting and come back with a response to the question about how God Allows U-Turns got started.

Oh, and, Queen Jaw-Jaw? Just read the back cover copy on your book: “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne,” and it clearly conveys what the book is about. Good job! The endorsement quotes are also written in such a way as to tell me what this book is about, not just what the endorser thought about the book. If anyone wants to discuss the topic of “the value of endorsement quotes in book proposals and on book covers,” please post the question and I’ll talk more about that.

Onward!

HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/21/06 02:10 PM

How God Allows U-Turns Began

I would almost bet everyone of us has had an idea at some point in our life that we DID NOT follow-up on and suddenly one day we see that idea in the flesh, developed by someone else, and we say, “I thought of that! Why didn’t I jump on that idea when I had it?”

Am I right?

The key to accomplishing ANYTHING is to take the pro-active first steps needed to make a dream idea become a reality. Let me clarify that. For those of us with creative minds, getting brainstorm ideas is a pretty commonplace occurrence. And not all of those brainstorm ideas are really viable once we talk ourselves through them. Not only are many of them NOT viable, but often when we give a brainstorm idea some careful thought, we find ourselves losing interest almost immediately.

That’s because many initial brainstorm ideas don’t grab us by the heart strings. But it’s those brainstorm ideas that won’t leave our mind…those creative ideas that continue to invade our thoughts…and begin to take over places in our heart and soul…that we must listen to. It’s those ideas we have that we mull over day in and day out…that we wake up thinking about and go to sleep dreaming about…it’s those brainstorm ideas that we need to listen to. It’s those brainstorm ideas that we need to follow-up on and take pro-active first steps to make reality.

That’s how it was for me and God Allows U-Turns as it is known today.

The title was initially associated with my memoir…my life journey about coming from decades of aimless searching to a place of faith that transformed my life. But that book never sold. I couldn’t get an agent, publishers turned it down, and I didn’t have the money (or the desire) to self-publish it. But I knew that reading the real-life testimonies of other men and women empowered me in my early walk of faith. I soaked up every true story I could find on how people came from a place of non-belief to belief. Books like “Born Again” by Chuck Colson, “Stormie” by Stormie Omartian, “Just One Victory” by Becky Tirabassi, and “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis, to name a few.

I knew in my heart that reading true stories of over-comers brought hope and healing to readers. Yet while my story may have been a powerful testimony to God’s redemptive love, I was basically an unknown entity in the publishing world.

One day the idea came to me that perhaps it would be better to include my personal story in a collection of true short stories. Surely someone was publishing true short stories about people who had over-come really hard-core obstacles like addiction, abuse, abortion, and so on. And so I went in search of a faith-based anthology where I could send my story. At that time (2000) there were only a few anthologies in the CBA market…and none of them were accepting true short stories that dealt with the nitty-gritty hard-core issues of life. Instead, they were mostly inspiring and hopeful collections that contained the safe, warm and fuzzy stories that Christians had grown accustomed to.

The light bulb went off over my head.

But was this just another brainstorm idea that in time would fade away…only to replaced by another brainstorm idea? Or was this one different? And if so, what made it different?

I couldn’t get the idea out of my mind. It took hold of my heart and soul. It became my passion. Was the faith-based community ready for a collection of true short stories that approached the sensitive issues that folks had been hiding in their closets for years? Was the time right to expose the ugly skeletons in our closets and really talk about what redemption and salvation was all about?

That’s when I began in earnest to do the research, to develop a plan, to fill one legal pad after another with notes, ideas, concepts and strategy. That’s when I began to read books on marketing, publishing, development and such. That’s when I began taking classes and attending seminars on Internet marketing and web site development. That’s when I began to develop a comprehensive strategic plan for my outreach and then a full-blown book proposal to present my new brainstorm idea to a group of literary agents in search of the one agent who would capture my vision and help me traverse the waters of the publishing world.

I worked hard. I prayed hard. I took pro-active steps to turn my brainstorm dream into a reality. I called my new book series concept: GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS – True Stories of Hope and Healing.

Ladies, we all have dreams. We all have passions. For those of us who write, it’s a matter of taking that first step from thinking about writing to actually writing. Gulp. From knowing in the back of our mind that in today’s world the marketing and promoting of a book by the author is a vital component and therefore if we don’t know a thing about that aspect, then we must do what it takes to learn about it. If we don't know how to write a professional book proposal, then we need to do what it takes to learn how to write a professional book proposal. Today, countless resources are at our fingertips. Today, doing what it takes has never been easier.

Doing what it takes.

That’s the bottom line of how God Allows U-Turns began. With an idea. A brainstorm idea that wouldn’t let me go. A passion that needed commitment from me to go from dream to reality.

Do you have something that won’t let you go? Dotsie Bregel had a brainstorm idea to start an international web site for baby boomer women. A grand and glorious idea, to be sure. But do you think she suddenly woke up one day and it went from dream to reality? Hardly. It took a great deal of work. But she started with that first step of commitment to make it happen.

It’s never too late to achieve our dreams, ladies. Never. We’re never too old to learn something new. Never. That said, I’ll bid you a fond adieu for the day and let’s connect again soon!

God’s peace to all, and bless your day!

Re: HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/21/06 02:31 PM

WOW! What an inspiring post. Thanks for the lovely answer. Am I right in saying that you weren't a writer when this brainstorm took off? And through hard work and determination, you are writing book proposal after book proposal and getting published left and right.

My story is similar. I launched BWS to give my generation of women a voice. My original intention was to use this as a portal for collecting stories for an anthology, very similar to idea. I even developed it as a series; Boomer Women Speak About Being Single at Midlife, Boomer Women Speak About the 60s, Boomer Women Speak About Their Childhoods, Boomer Women SPeak About Caring for Their Elders, and so on.

Allsion, I did all the very same things you did. I read and researched like a vulture. I found an agent, Carol Susan Roth, through lots of hard work and determination. I have a drawer full of rejections from agents, but I finally found one. She shopped the book to very top publishing houses and it didn't sell.

People ask if I'm disappointed. I can honestly say I am not. Many of the stories have been published on this site. In additon to that, I know I'm giving women a voice which was my original intention. God just had other plans. Like an associaiton too. Whodathunk? Surely, not me.

All I've done is pray and listen to what God is calling me to do. That's my biggest message. Unless we are still, we may never hear our true calling that allows us to use our God-given gifts for His glory and the good of all people.

Anyway, I continue to work with my agent and I believe I'm getting nearer to the book God is calling me to write. He never ceases to amaze me.

Onward with grace - ladies!

Re: HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/21/06 04:24 PM

I agree WOW! I'm getting really excited. I can't wait to concentrate fully on my writing. What fantastic tips you have given Allison. And they all make so much sense.

What an interesting story, Dotsie. Was it because of your rejections that you started BWS? Well, then that is a perfect example of having something good come out of the bad. I was just wondering if you have totally given up on finding a publisher?

Re: HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/21/06 09:30 PM

No, I launched the site first to gather stories for the book. So all at once, I was designing a site, learning how to write the perfect book proposal, understanding what makes a book sell, what agents are looking for in writers, what publishers are looking for from writers and agents, etc. I've loved every second of it.

Re: HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/22/06 12:42 AM

And to think....I taught both those women everything they know.........what? Okay, I'm lying. Hey, thanks Allison for the kudos on the back cover. If there's one thing I've learned it is that a book is truly a labor of love. I'm like Dots, I've loved every single minute, every step, even the obstacles.

To add to what Allison so eloquently stated above, I've heard that success is a decision, the journey is the result of that decision. Here's a toast to your journey's, my friends!

Re: HOW GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS BEGAN - ALLISON SHARES - 11/22/06 02:28 AM

Allison,

It seems that some authors get that first book out there and then struggle to come up with another one. Why do you think this happens?

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison - 11/22/06 10:24 PM

In answer to Dotsie’s question… “Am I right in saying that you weren't a writer when this brainstorm took off?” Sorry, you are not right. I’ve been a writer since I could hold a pencil. Seriously. My first freelance articles were published in Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Shape, and others. I also wrote press releases, brochures, funding grants, and a ga-zillion other things in my career as a professional fundraiser. I was also the Playwright-in-Residence for three years at a small theatre in southern California where three of my full length plays were produced. So, I’ve been writing for a very long time. But God Allows U-Turns was my first book project.

In response to your experience, Dotsie, with the baby boomer women anthology…I can understand this, because compilation books are a very hard sell in both the CBA and ABA publishing communities. Unless you are a “Soup” book, chances are you won’t sell enough copies to make it a worthwhile venture for a publisher, at least this is what they tend to think.

What helped me with u-turns was my speaking platform. This is so vital these days when a publisher is considering a first-time author. Can you speak and what is your platform?

I would imagine now that the NABBW site has had its first year anniversary, you are in a stronger place to develop and pitch an anthology. Connect with me off the loop and let’s talk more about this, okay? I have some ideas…

Jane asked a question that gets asked a great deal in the industry and it’s really an easy answer when you give it some serious thought. Think about it…how long does a writer have that “first book” inside of them? Days, weeks, months, years, or decades? I would hazard to guess it is usually, and quite typically, in the category of years or decades.

You’ve had years and years to plot, plan, organize your thoughts, develop your characters and evolve the book. Then suddenly, once it’s published and you are asked to write another book that’s when the stress begins. Do you really have a gift for maintaining and growing a writing career…or did you have one book in your soul that had to come out and that’s it?

This is very common in the industry and it is why so very often a publisher will contract a new author for two books right off the bat. If the first book is a success, they have the author tied up for book number two and if that second book is good as well, then everyone wins. But if it isn’t good…if the author can’t write book #2, or needs a lot more time, or any number of challenges…then this could be a critical time for a career.

I can speak first hand about this. When my agent pitched my first novel to Bethany House (A Stitch in Time) they came back with an offer for two novels. I was ecstatic and scared…what would book #2 be about? I had worked on book #1 for a long time, at least in my mind, but I had no idea what I would write for a 2nd book. I looked at some of my older work-in-progress files and remembered an outline I had for a screenplay concept and used that as the storyline for novel #2. But my publisher had no idea if I could deliver. I had no idea if I could deliver. The book comes out next June and you’ll have to tell me what you think of it…did I deliver? (smile) It’s called: ONE LITTLE SECRET.

Okay ladies, time for me to sign off. I’ll most likely be offline all day tomorrow, and so should all of you! Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and let’s all count our blessings for living in America and having the amazing opportunities we all have.

May God bless and keep you and yours.

I’ll be back on Friday!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison - 11/23/06 01:16 AM

Allison, I forgot about your previous writing career. Please forgive.

Thanks for the offer to talk with you offline. I'll take you up on it. I'm working on something with my agent right now that may be the proposal that works. We'll see what God has in store. So far, I trust that nothing I've proposed is exactly what He is calling me to do and I am cool with that. His timing is everything.

After reading your first novel, I look forward to your second.

I still need to touch base with you about buying a few of your books for our church library.
Posted by: Bathbuddys

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison - 11/23/06 08:00 AM

Hi Allison,
It is me Nancy (the shy one)
I want to know where you were involved in plays in southern California?, as I too, was VERY involved in the community theaters in the area and it would be fun to hear where you were at?

I would also like to know that when you got the idea in your head for your first book, how did you start?

Did you think about it's content first?
Did you think of an beginning and and end?
Or did you pick up a pen and just start writing?
Or did you go right to the computer and bypass the pen and paper?

I have also written for college Magazine, Newspaper, I wrote and directed a play (personal life experiences) and music videos for Domestic Violence and also did one for a hostage situation for a school district there to use for a training video for the police, fire department and SWAT team operations.
It was all to earn money for charity but I did get paid for a couple of them.

I guess sometimes I procrastinate when it is for my own personal growth as I am a new empty nester (hehe).

I could always do things when I needed to do it for my kids.

I raised two sons alone and am a SURVIVOR of a horrible domestic violence situation so I guess I don't have much faith in myself to just start writing!

Thanks for all of your wonderful sharing. This is such a gift to have a chance to hear all of your wisdom.

Nancy

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/24/06 10:32 AM

Wow, Allison I feel like I'm reading posts from the Martha Stewart of the writing world. What great perspectives.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/24/06 01:10 PM

Allison, I know what a busy lady you are so I'd love to hear about your writing schedule.

Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! - 11/26/06 04:14 PM

Allison,

You are so right...I got my first book out and thought I would rest on my laurels...but no way Jose! I was immediately immersed in writing not one but 2 books...I guess that's what they mean by striking while the iron is hot!

Allison's back! - 11/28/06 12:39 AM

Greetings Ladies!

I’m back! (Does anyone else think of Jack Nicholson in The Shining when you hear those two words? I must be sick. Ha-ha, no comments from the peanut gallery, ya hear?)

I’ve been burning that crazy candle at both ends (again) this time I’m trying to learn a new software technology where I can record audio programs on my computer and convert them to MP3 files and offer them as downloads on my new web site that will launch in January.

Oh! That reminds me. Ladies, if you are not already signed up to receive my FREE e-zine, please visit my web site soon and sign-up, okay? The format of the e-zine is going to change and we will be sending out an announcement in a couple weeks. I sure hope to have all of you gals on the list…okay? Go here to sign up: www.godallowsuturns.com –End of Commercial Announcement.-

Okay…back to the Forum…

Dotsie, I’m sending you books for your church library. And thanks for the kind words about looking forward to my second novel. It’s written in a different POV, I’ll be anxious to hear what you think.

Nancy…the theatre was in Santa Ana and it was called THE WAY OFF BROADWAY PLAYHOUSE owned by Tony Reverditto. It is no longer in that location. Did you know of it? I also went to school at Cypress College in the Theatre Arts Department – a great program!

As for the ideas for my first novel, it was first conceived as a screenplay (read my forum posting #98464 dated 11/7 @ 3:12 PM) but many of the story ideas came from my life. Having had weight loss surgery I thought it would be a kick to write about a character that had the same surgery but lived a totally different life from mine. I also gave her a profession I once had, so I had a lot of material from which to draw upon. I did develop a chapter by chapter outline before I sat down to write the book. I also had an idea how I wanted it to end…but how I got to that eventual point was always a work-in-progress every day I wrote.

I work a lot on the computer, but I also take legal pads with me wherever I go, so I often have handwritten notes and dialogue that I then type into the manuscript.

Nancy, as a new empty nester you now have the time to CARPE DIEM! Seize the moment! Go for the dream! I am so serious about this. As someone who has survived abuse you have been given not only a second chance at life (literally) but you have a unique viewpoint that only you have and it is in life experience that we learn and grow and become equipped to see things from a different perspective.

Ladies, when it comes to writing we are NEVER too old, or too uneducated, or too ignorant, or too ANYTHING! Pick up a pencil and write! Where there is a will there is a way. It might be an old saying but it’s no less true today than it was a ga-zillion years ago.

To Chatty Lady in Nevada….ha-ha-ha…this cracks me up! The Martha Stewart of the writing world. I love it. Hope I have a better CPA than she had, eh?

Dotsie asked about my writing schedule. Sigh. It’s crazy. But for the past two months I have been undergoing a kind of “housekeeping of the heart” with respect to looking at my priorities and re-evaluating the projects on my plate for 2007 and beyond. I write every day. I’m not always working on a manuscript, but I’m always writing something.

I work best with deadlines…self imposed or editor/publisher imposed. I write a book review column for a national magazine and it’s due on 12/1…so I’m working on that right now. My next book is due on May 1, 2007 and I’m working on the research and development aspect of that book right now. I will sit down and type the rough first draft in January when I take a writing sabbatical for the entire month. Then, I begin rewrites and edits and more rewrites. I’m also launching a new web site and e-zine in January, so I am writing content for that and working on the scripts for audio CD projects and teleseminars I will be having.

It’s a never ending series of juggling rewrites, proposals, manuscripts, emails and on and on. The key...truly...the main thing I have learned…is to know your passion with respect to your overall message and target market. I have fine tuned this over the years and this has enabled me to be a better time manager and to prioritize my projects. My target market is baby boomer women, so I’m in the right place here!

Jane talked about “striking while the iron is hot,” YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON SISTER! When we get that opportunity to be published…when all the hard work begins to pay off...that means we have to work harder...not sit back an relax. Sorry, gals, that’s how it is. Perhaps a day does come when book sales sky rocket and you can sit back and take it easy…but until that time comes it’s a never ending cycle of proposing a new project, writing, editing, delivering and starting the entire cycle all over again.

It’s not drudgery when you love what you do….but it is hard work. And I continue to thank God each and every day that I wake up and each and every night that I go to sleep, that I get to do what I am doing. I am blessed and I take the gifts God has given to me very seriously. I know we are all on different playing fields where spirituality is concerned, and that's okay...but it’s my faith that gets me through each and every day of this crazy life I have as an author and speaker.

And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Have a blessed evening, ladies. Post more questions! NOTHING IS TABBOO.

Re: Allison's back! - 11/28/06 03:18 AM

Hi Allison, you said your target market is BBW. What would you say your over arching message is? My other question is about investing in your business, especially the books. Do you invest in advertising? Do you pay an agent, publicist, web site developer, PR person, etc? Also, do you have the "search inside" feature on Amazon? Also, are you set up as a business, or corporation, or individual proprietor? Thanks!

Re: Allison's back! - 11/28/06 01:55 PM

I know we have you for only a few more days and I am amazed at how much time and information you have shared with us thanks to your giving spirit. I'm signing up for your e-zine. I'm also interested in your response to Lynnie's questions. Thank you, allison!

Re: Allison's back! - 11/28/06 02:07 PM

Allison, your web site is wonderful. Will you share with us how it came into being - your thoughts that went into it and that of your web site designer. Thanks.

Re: Allison's back! - 11/28/06 03:34 PM

I insist on sending you a check for the books for our church library. It's our gift to the chusch and I don't need you paying for it. Thanks.

Keep the excellent information coming. You're doing a terrific job.

Re: Allison's back! - 11/30/06 12:39 PM

Where's Allison. Is today our last chance day?

Allison Here... - 11/30/06 11:41 PM

Wow, where did the month go? It's been great fun chatting with everyone and it is my prayer that this is just the beginning of many new friendships. Please don't think because my Forum month is over that you can't contact me. I welcome your emails at any time, okay? Feel free to stay in touch, I mean this. Don't be shy.

Thanks to those of you who signed up for my free e-zine. I have a lot of exciting things planned in 2007 for baby boomer women! I'll be launching a whole new web site and a new e-zine focus especially for baby boomer women and we'll be offering FREE downloadable MP3 files of motivational and inspirational messages from me, as well as lots of writing tools from someone who really knows his business. If you have not yet subscribed please visit my web site at www.godallowsuturns.com

Let’s start by answering Lynnie’s series of questions. Good questions, girlfriend!

Yes, my new target market is Baby Boomer Women. My target market is different for the God Allows U-Turns anthology books and the U-Turns overall outreach. My over arching BBW message is that it’s never too late to turn around and change direction, or to achieve a dream, or to chart a new course in life. I’ve developed a new mission statement, tag line, and lots of other defined strategies that will help me stay on track as I prepare to launch this new aspect of my writing business in 2007. I’ll be offering many of these strategic planning tools in a series of teleseminars with best selling author RANDY INGERMANSON in 2007. We have a great teleseminar in development that we’ll be offering in January specifically for writers who want to jump start their writing career for the new year. You can visit Randy’s web site here: www.randyingermanson.com you might want to consider signing up for his e-zine as well, and make sure to tell him I sent you, okay?

Lynnie’s next questions are in reference to the financial investment of writing and promoting. The old saying that you must “Spend money to make money” is very true when it comes to the business of writing. I’ve paid for a great deal of advertising over the years, mostly to solicit true short story submissions. My publisher pays for ads in the trade magazines to promote my books when they are first released. My agent gets 15% of everything I make, and he is well worth it. You can visit his web site here: www.stevelaube.com This past year I hired a professional P.R. firm to help promote my debut novel. My publisher has an in-house publicist who is very helpful, but many authors will incur the expense of hiring someone on their own to add a promotional punch to a new release. A huge expense every year has been the technical investment including hardware, software, web designers, ISP service, and a host of other tech needs. My business is set-up as an “LLC” (Limited Liability Corporation,) and this is something I encourage writers to discuss with a CPA. There are numerous ways to set-up your business and what’s good for the goose is not always good for the gander. I believe my publisher has set-up the “search inside” feature on Amazon.com…they handle all of the submissions to various online sites. Long story short, there are a lot of expenses for writers. God willing, we’ll sell enough books to stay in the black…or at least to get in the black at some point.

Okay ladies, I think that’s it…no other questions have been posted today. Wah! I’ll check back later tonight just in case anyone has any last minute thoughts they’d like to share. But I’d like to close in saying that it’s been an honor to spend time with y’all this past month. I will keep each of you in prayer as you pursue your dreams of writing and publishing. And believe me when I say that I welcome your emails at any time.

Have a blessed evening and I’ll be back in a few hours.

Allison Bottke
www.godallowsuturns.com

Re: Allison Here... - 11/30/06 11:47 PM

Allison, I posted this on the prvious page and you must have missed it. Your web site is wonderful. Will you share with us how it came into being - your thoughts that went into it and that of your web site designer. Thanks.
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Allison Here... - 12/01/06 02:21 AM

Allison, will you be at Mount Hermon next March?

Re: Allison Here... - 12/01/06 03:17 AM

Allsion, thanks so much for your month with us. You've been delightful and most informative. Please stop by and see us whenever you have a sec. I'll be in touch.

Oh, and I signed up for the newsletter by Randy. Thank you.

Allison Signing Off... - 12/01/06 04:36 AM

It’s time to say good-bye, ladies, but I hope to stay in touch. Thank you, Dotsie, for this great opportunity…and thank you for following your dream to make this web site a place where women from all walks of life from all over the world can meet. The Forum groups are as varied as the women who visit them, and I’m looking forward to popping into some of the other chat room Forums from time to time. Can anyone share some of their favorite Forums with me?

But before I sign off, Saundra asked about my web site and I neglected to respond to that post (please forgive me.) It’s funny you should ask that because I’ve been spending a lot of time the past couple months strategically assessing my current web site and working with a designer to launch another web site in January. In fact, I’ll be launching TWO new web sites in January.

My initial web site came into being as a gift from God. Truly. When I was first inspired to turn my personal memoir story into a collection of true short stories I knew I would have to communicate with a lot of people in order to get enough stories to develop an anthology series. It was the year 2000 and while the World Wide Web was certainly in existence, a personal web site wasn’t something that every author had. Designing web sites at that time wasn’t as easy as it is today, with so many template programs and user-friendly software.

After getting a few bids it was soon clear to me that I could never afford the kind of web site I would need, and I prayed hard for wisdom to know what to do. Within a few weeks (literally) an amazing woman contacted me and volunteered to design my first web site. Since then, I have had only four web designers developing my site into the form it is today. Many volunteered their time and talent. I’ve also paid consultants to revise, update and refresh the site. Every January I try to go fresh with a new look or a subtle change to the site.

Like it or not, ladies, the world of the internet is here to stay and it’s a method of communication we need to embrace…if not fully understand. I suggest taking classes, workshops and seminars on the basic rudimentaries of Internet technology and web site design, marketing, search engine optimization and the like. These will be subjects we’ll discuss in some of the Teleseminars I’ll be conducting in 2007 with Randy, so remember to stay in touch with me so you don’t miss these valuable writer teachings. I see where Dotsie mentioned that she signed up for Randy’s e-zine. This fellow is a wizard at writing fiction and at teaching others how to write fiction. He has the number one e-zine (no kidding) for teaching fiction writing for beginners to advanced writers. Plus, he has a course called Tiger Marketing to teach writers how to market their books before, during, and after publication. Here’s his web site: www.randyingermanson.com

Hope you don’t mind the commercial, Dotsie.

I pray I have not put a damper on anyone’s dream to write or publish by sharing this past month how much work goes into this business of writing. Yes, it’s a lot of work, but it’s also rewarding and fun and energizing, and I couldn’t imagine myself doing anything else. Writing is all I’ve ever wanted to do and I thank God daily that He has opened the doors that have allowed me to succeed.

My agent is currently pitching a new fiction series I’d love to write, featuring some dynamic baby boomer women…and if a publisher picks it up you can bet your booties I’ll pop in and let y’all know!

Zig Ziglar says, “We can get what we want if we help enough other people get what they want.” I’ve always loved that concept. It’s the modern form of “doing unto others,” and “what goes around, comes around.” My prayer for each of you is that while you strive to achieve the dreams of your heart, that you help others along the way to do the same.

Have a blessed Christmas season and let’s stay in touch!

God’s Peace,
Allison Bottke
www.godallowsuturns.com