Taking Care of Mom

Posted by: Dotsie

Taking Care of Mom - 12/20/05 12:41 AM

Ladies, here is an introduction to January's Featured Author. I hope some of you will purchase her book and join in the conversation when she joins us January 1st. It's a simple, practical read. I thought it would be appropriate since so many of us are caring for our aging parents.

TAKING CARE OF MOM: What I Learned That May Help You Help Your Aging Parent (ISBN: 0-595-32255-7)

About the Author: F. N. Rosenstock is a writer, editor, and public relations consultant. She was publishing a monthly magazine when circumstances compelled her to take care of her mother. For a long time, the demands of caregiving were in conflict with her publishing responsibilities. She chose to leave her job to care for her aging mother. She has no regrets.

TAKING CARE OF MOM What I Learned That May Help You Help Your Aging Parent is F. N. Rosenstock’s story of how her mother was abused in a nursing home, misdiagnosed by medical practitioners, and prescribed wrong medications. When she realized she had to take control of her mother’s healthcare and sort through the good and the bad, her life changed forever. This is unlike other books written about this subject because it is a realistic look at taking care of an aging parent authored by a hands-on, caregiving daughter, not a writer interviewing clinicians. No practitioners were interviewed! And, remember, taking care of an aging parent isn’t for wimps!

[ January 02, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/20/05 02:05 AM

I look forward to her being here and I'm sure everyone else does too. It's truly a subject near and dear to so many of us. I'm sure Raven will want to join in on the discussions as well. Between the two of them, we can all learn a great deal, I'm sure!

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/20/05 06:00 PM

Yes, I am looking forward to it. I read her book and it is very practical. I thought so much about taking care of mom...
Posted by: Flo Voy

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/21/05 02:45 AM

Sounds interesting. I'll look for it over at Amazon.com, and try to be around Jan 1st.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/22/05 12:04 AM

She'll be here the whole month!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/23/05 05:35 AM

Dotsie,
I have been there and back with that . My mother has Alzheimers and is 94 yrs old and in a nursing home in DE . I just found out today that she is failing and sleeps a lot . So , we are all going to Delaware Jan 2nd to say to her what needs to be said whether she can hear me or not . I know I am running into trouble with the nursing home for they will not let me know when she dies , but I will take care of them later. There are Hippa laws that the chldren have rights.

Keep us in your prayers and peace for my mother.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/24/05 06:35 PM

Nancy, be sure to talk with her. My mom was on her death bed for days. Not talking, but I swear she could hear us. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I know this has been tough for you.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 12/24/05 09:32 PM

Nancy, I pray that you will have peace before you get there, and peace when you leave...((HUGS))

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/02/06 08:38 AM

Hi Francyne, I look forward to having you in our midst this month. I hope you'll jump in and begin posting.

Ladies, FYI, Francyne continues to care for her mom. SHe is a full time caregiver.
Posted by: F N Rosenstock

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/02/06 04:14 AM

Hi Everyone,

Dotsie, thank you for your introduction. As the title of my book states, I am taking care of Mom. For those of you who are also doing this, or have done this, you know things can change on a dime.

Friday morning, we were in the ER. Mom couldn't breathe. Thank heavens, it wasn't serious enough to admit her.

We had a great New Year's Eve watching Dick CLark and a quiet New Year's day.

I look forward to sharing my continued experiences with all of you. It's an on-going learning lesson for me.

Happy New Year, Francyne
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/02/06 05:36 AM

Welcome Francyne,
Glad to have you here.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/02/06 07:32 PM

FN, I've read your book and am amazed that you left your life's work to care for an aging parent around the clock. Do you mind telling us how you made that decision?

I have a friend who has done the same. She is renting her home so she could move in with her parent. I admire both of you.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/03/06 04:38 AM

Actually, I took a graceful step to the side.

I was publishing a magazine and left that position to care for my mother. Then I worked as an editor of a trade magazine for several years which I did from my home office. I left that at the end of September.

Now, I have returned to my original career as a freelance writer which I also do from my home office. It's a lot less stressful. No responsibilities except making deadlines. It also gives me more time to spen with my mother.

Taking care of my mother is my full-time job. Writing is my part-time job.

[ January 02, 2006, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/03/06 04:44 AM

Welcome Francyne I admire what you are doing for your mom. Too many elderly parents get filed away in Nursing homes when it gets to be too much trouble for the kid or kids to deal with...
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/03/06 09:14 AM

Welcome,Francyne.

I am an admirer of caretakers also. I didn't take care of my Mother, tho' - she died in a car accident. But I took care of my child for many years....one job that has the reward of lasting love, and not a gold watch! (or a very big paycheck, either!)

Searcher

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/03/06 05:13 PM

Good morning. An hour ago (6:30 am EST) I returned from spending the night in the ER with my mother. She's sleeping. I'm working (for as long as I can last) and taking care of her.

I'll check in later if I can. If not, see you tomorrow! [Smile]

[ January 03, 2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/03/06 09:07 PM

Sorry to hear about all the trips to the ER. Is this common with your mom's illness?

F N, in your book you write:

"I had rescued my mother from the claws of death in the guise of a nursing home."

That is a strong statement. Please tell us if you believe this about all nursing homes.

I know a dear woman nurse who works in a nursing home and she adores her patients. She treats them like family.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/06/06 08:38 AM

Good morning,

Mea culpa for not posting yesterday. I was without help and Mom wasn't doing well. Things resolved last night and this morning, she's doing much better. As a full-time caregiver, my life revolves around hers and when she's ill, my world stops.

Mom doesn't have an illness. I had a caregiver who told me she had allergies when, in reality, she had a sore throat. For Mom and other aging people who are not as robust as we are, this can be a disaster. I reacted quickly to keep her out of the hospital.

I know I made a strong statement about the nursing home in the book and I stand by it. When I wrote the book, it was based on my experiences.

Since writing the book, I have heard horror stories from others that would make your hair stand on end, so I now take the liberty of adding to my prior statement: I think all nursing homes should be closed! There is no purpose for them.

Terminally ill people can get hospice services which I understand is excellent. People like my mother should be able to stay in their own homes or live with their families. One of the main roadblocks for that is Medicare. It's time to revise the progam so we can take care of our parents.

Briefly, Medicare was established in 1965 to pay for catastrophic illness. (You could still go to a doctor for $20 in those days!)

Medicine has changed. It's more preventative now, yet Medicare has not changed with the times. One of the issues is home care.

I pay for my caregiver out of pocket. Medicare should help pay for home care because it's more cost-effective for me to take care of my mother at home than if she was in a nursing home.

I'm very fortunate. I can work at home. If I had to work in an office, I don't know what I'd do because I can't afford full-time care for her. (My mother is not ambulatory and I can't leave her alone.) If Medicare helped pay for caregiver costs, I think more people would take in their family members.

[ January 05, 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/05/06 09:16 PM

F N,
I almost agree with you 100% as I've had the nursing home experience with Daddy. If you've been there, you understand where you are coming from. I know I do. But then I think of the people who have no one to care for them. Who would see to their needs? Even for inhome care...

One point you made without directly stating it is that NO ONE will take as good a care of our loved ones as WE would do. There is something wrong with the system when we cannot afford to either stay home and take care of a loved one, or have to pay out of pocket to have someone come in and do it. I agree with you there, 100%. If we could have, Daddy would have NEVER left his home. Medicare is not listening.

JJ
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/05/06 10:03 PM

We have had some minor experiences with nursing homes over the past 5 years.
Most recently was when my mother needed one for rehab after a hospital stay, when she couldn't walk on her own.
We didn't have time to research, so we chose 2 of 3 we knew of with good reputations. We lucked out & got our first choice---and it turns out the location was highly rated, despite what it looks like from the outside!
My mom had very good care & it helped eased my nerves. Of course the thought of having to put her in a home permanently would be another story.

My cousin lost her father, who had been taking care of her mom with MS. She moved back home & had to eventually hire someone to come take care of her mom while she was at work. My aunt fell & broke her ankle. The hospital wouldn't allow her to go home--and made her be released to a nursing home. (I believe they were going to get social services involved if my cousin didn't agree to this--NOT THAT ANYTHING WAS GOING ON!!)

The first nursing home my cousin chose, again without having time to research, was near her home.
We went to visit my aunt & I couldn't believe it.
I was very upset that my aunt was of sound mind, and would have to spend the rest of her life in a place like that!
She had BRAIN CANCER---had a seizure--and her left side was slightly paralized. Nobody notified my cousin!
Of course my cousin got her out of there--this all happened within the 2 weeks she was there.
The next place was wonderful! They were the ones who discovered the brain cancer--and began to give her the proper care she should have had from the moment she had the seizure!
My aunt didn't last long after being diognosed, but the nursing home was wonderful during that time.

So I have witnessed some good and some bad....and it worries me to death about my mom later on. We plan on taking care of her at home---I am already staying at home to take care of her now.

With my grandmother, we all knew when it was her time, she'd just go peacefully. And she did. We are hoping my mom will be able to do the same.

Medicaid is another evil in my life!!! You'd think they'd jump at a chance to save money! It is a dirty word in this house--that's another topic!!!

I fully understand being a caregiver.
What upsets me abit....is I am learning how to be a caregiver on this site because of others.

I am having a rough time of it right now because of my grandmother passing away at Thanksgiving. I have been turning my emotions off---and not wanting to go near any post involving real feelings.

I am thinking of you all.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/06/06 03:38 AM

KayB, I so understand exactly what you are saying about turning off your emotions, and this makes you very human. I did the same thing, and just had this VERY discussion today with a friend. I told her that the memories of it all were so painful for me, that I cannot get involved right now with other areas of caregiving.

I know I could write things about caregiving, do volunteer work, speeches, and the like, but my heart won't allow it. Not now. So, believe me, I understand. My best to you in your own healing from the loss of your sweet grandmother, and my prayers are with you in your caregiving role as life moves on. I'm here if you ever need me!

JJ
Posted by: Flo Voy

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/06/06 10:12 PM

quote:
I pay for my caregiver out of pocket. Medicare should help pay for home care because it's more cost-effective for me to take care of my mother at home than if she was in a nursing home.
Amen to that. The system is broken and getting brokener. Just look at this new so-called Drug Benefit. What a nightmare. I mean, I'm taking care of it all for my Dad, but I've seen elderly people on TV in tears trying to figure it out by themselves.

I now have a full-time caregiver for my Dad, and he's doing pretty well, thank the Lord. He'll be 80 in a couple of months. He's had cancer, which is now in remission, and we've had some rough times in the past year. A change of doctors helped tremendously. I'm so glad I did that.

Hugs to all caregivers. Talk about your thankless jobs. Yet I believe it's more than an obligation and duty. To me, it's a sacred trust. They took care of us (as best they could). They should not be shunted off somewhere in holding cells to die, and in my personal opinion that is the function of most nursing homes.

It has been my personal observation that most nursing homes are underfunded and understaffed, and the staff they have is mainly in survival mode, just trying to get through the day in a rather depressing job. That's what I've seen anyway. I wouldn't want to die there, and I won't put my Dad there.

There are exception. There are private nursing facilities that are well staffed by caring, upbeat people, and they are sparkling clean and decorated like 4 and 5 star hotels. But they cost. Oh boy do they cost.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/08/06 04:18 AM

Bravo to all of you! We MUST change Medicare now. Start writing to your state's represenstatives and senators.

Start talking to your community groups and churches. Anytime you have an opportunity to write a letter to the editor, call a radio talk show, or comment on the Internet, do it!

As for grief and healing, it took me six months after my father died 20 years ago to stop crying everyday. Now, although I rarely cry and talking about him makes me feel he's still with me, there are still some things that will move me to tears, even sobbing. I don't think we ever get over the loss of someone we loved, nor should we. However, with time, it gets easier. Let yourself feel the pain.

For those of you who discussed rehab options after illness, there are home health agencies and there are even agencies that will provide someone everday for houskeeping, errands, etc.

I used to take my mother to daycare once or twice a week at an assisted living facility where I hired several CNAs to come after their shifts were over. The current caregiver I have was a referral from my mother's physical therapist who we get through home health.

Speaking of daycare. There are assisted living facilities that have day care services. You can drop your parent off sometimes as early as 7:00am and pick up is sometimes as late as 8:00pm. They also have respite services which I have used. This was great for my mother because she interacted with other people. New owners discontinued the program and I haven't found another one in the area.

As for work, some companies, like IBM, let their employees work from home. Others caregivers I know have started home-based businesses.

Just some things to think about . . . [Smile]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/08/06 07:50 PM

Also, and this may have been mentioned(?), churchs are popping up everywhere with "Elder Day Care" programs.

F N - wouldn't it be great if we all had a STANDARD letter that could be shared among millions of us, to send to our state representatives and congressmen regarding these issues? Maybe more than one letter? One for Medicare? One for the rising cost of nursing homes and assisted living facilities? One for suspected elder abuse? yada...yada...yada...

Hey, maybe there are already things like this in existence?

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/09/06 01:03 AM

I bet there are, and we could probably find them if we Googled enough.

I have a dear friend who just began a new business that helps boomers keep their parents in their homes by offering all kinds of services to do so. This could be the wave of the future. Any thoughts?

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/09/06 05:10 AM

Oh Dotsie...please have your friend give us insight... We could actually help her spread the word.

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/10/06 08:42 AM

And that could be a home-based business -- offering services or being a clearinghouse for services.

I have been in caregiver mode for the past two days. I had to take my mother to the ER again. She has pneumonia and a low sodium level, both common in elderly people. I stayed with her from 11:00 pm on Sunday night until 9:30 tonight (Monday). A friend finally persuaded me to leave by telling me if I got sick or worn out, I couldn't care for her. I hated to leave her but she's right.

As caregivers, our friends are great support for us.

So here I sit . . . overwhelmed and over-tired as I'm sure so many in my situation often find themselves, exhausted and running the gamut of emotions.

I'm heading back early tomorrow and I hope I can take her home. Until later . . .
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/10/06 08:54 AM

I am saying a prayer for you and your mother tonight. May you be blessed with peace and health.

smile
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/10/06 03:00 PM

I am adding you to my prayers F N Rosenstock. Hang in there. We're here for you.
chick

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/10/06 07:03 PM

Same here. Prayers all around. If you get time, keep us posted. We're here!

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/10/06 07:38 PM

You also have my prayers for you and your mom.

F N, when you have time :

You mention finding a doctor who doesn't use the cookie cutter approach to caring for their patients. These doctors are becoming harder and harder to find. Tell us how you went about that. Is your Mom's insurance an HMO?

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/11/06 07:04 AM

Bless you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Mom is doing better, but not well enough to come home today. I got home a few minutes ago, exhausted as usual.

I'm almost positive I'll be able to bring her home tomorrow . . . I hope.

FInding the right doctor is luck! I found our doctor ten years ago when I first moved to Georrgia. Just luck.

Sometimes referrals work. It's easier to spot the doctors that you should avoid: the ones who wear their arrogance. There are far too many of those kimd. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Until later . . . [Smile]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/12/06 03:16 AM

Is she home?

In part of your book you mentioned all these little adjustments that needed to be made to your home to accomodate your mom. Mind sharing some of them with us?

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/12/06 05:19 PM

I feel like a war correspondent reporting from the front. In a way, it is a front. So here's the latest:

I stayed at the hospital until almost midnight last night. My mother went edemic. They were short-staffed, so I had to make sure what needed to get done for her was done. I'm heading out there shortly, but come hell or high water, I'm taking her home today!

To add to the mix, the home health agency I've had for the last two years "discharged" us because I complained about faulty equipment and general incompetence. Most recently, our doctor prescribed home oxygen. The first machine they brought wreaked of cigarette smoke. The second machine stopped working in the middle of the night and Mom had no oxygen. They brought out three other machines and none of them worked. So I had to put her on the back-up tank system and two of the tanks didn't work. I was told they'd "get someone out tomorrow" and, after trying to explain that Mom needed the oxygen, I said I don't care if you drive it out in your car yourself--you get it here! Now I have to file a complaint with Medicare which is very important so bad service can be weeded out.

This brings up a very important point. You must advocate for your aging parent and not be intimidated, (See chapter 4) Since Mom has been in the hospital she has seen six different doctors. Four "think" she has pneumonia and two "think" it's congestive heart failure. (Good doctors will admit that medicine is trial and error!) This is a great example of how different the opinions can be and why it's so important that you pay attention!

Here's another example. When she was in the hospital during the summer, the doctor changed her medication but forgot to cancel her prior one. A nurse argued with me that the doctor wanted both. It took me three hours to to get her to "humor me" and call the doctor who confirmerd that he just forgot to cancel the other medication. (This is why asking questions is important.) The nurse was resentful.

To answer your question, I made significant changes at home for Mom. I put down hardwoods so she could walk more easily and we could wheel her around if we had to which now we do. I widened the door of the bathroom she uses from 24" to 30" so she could get her walker in. I got a chair-height commode which is now available "off the shelf" without special order because we boomers are demanding it.

[ January 12, 2006, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/12/06 06:59 PM

F N,
Isn't it a shame that you have to pay such CLOSE attention because you know things are going to get mixed up, or done wrong? Once when Daddy was in the hospital for pneumonia, we told them what meds he was allergic to and what would happen if he was given these meds. We (me and my sisters, Mom) stayed with him till sleepthirty and then we left. What did they do? You guessed it...he was out of his head literally for three days after that. They apologized and said they OVERLOOKED it on his chart. Hello? We took turns staying with him all night and day after that.

The more I read here, the more I remember ... sigh...

JJ
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/13/06 08:10 AM

This thread is killing me. I so-o-o want to join in, but the memories (and the current hell) are just too much for me to handle. Believe me, FN, there are so many more who appreciate your words than you will ever know.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/12/06 11:39 PM

F N, I got goose bumps reading your post. I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

This is such a huge topic for our generation because if we haven't been through this already, It's yet to come.

Your frustration brings back so many memories of the 6 months Mom suffered with cancer. Fifty, I can relate to your post.

My mother was in doctors care. He told her she had a form of arthritis. Never did any diagnostic testing. Just kept telling her to take pain medications. We have pitcures of her at her granddaughter's graduation party in May with a heating pad on her chest and ribs. During that summer when she continued to call and complain, he blamed it on the humidity. Said all his arthritic patients were complaining. Take MORE pain medication.

She fell in the bathroom in late August. Dad took her to the ER. All's well. they checked her foot because that's what hurt the most.

Told Dad that if her chest didn't feel any better, she wanted him to take her back to the ER.

He did. They did chest xrays. Yup. Broken ribs, not necessarily from the fall. But from cancer eating away at them. Typing this makes me want to vomit. The negligence. And all of us thought Mom's doctor was taking care of her.

She even had a colonoscopy duing the chest pain time due to another issue. We swore she was going to ahve colon cancer, but no, it was the other cancer. the pain in the chest that was causing her to lose weight.

Looking back, I feel so dumb.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/13/06 10:51 AM

Wow! Your posts are frightening. This is why I camp out with my mother, much to the chagrin of the hospital staff. Too bad! To them, she is the patient in bed #2. To me, she's the one and only.

This is why speaking up is so important. So many are intimidated by white coats. Don't be. We go to the same hospital all the time so by now, they know not to mess with me.

For example, the doctor ordered 40 mg of Lasix. I made them cut it down to 20 mgs. You can protest and refuse any treatment. Also, living close to Atlanta helps. There are so many hospitals here, if they give me a hard time, I just threaten to take her to another hospital. (They usually listen to what I say -- they don't want to lose the insurance money!)

The doctors who know me (and most of them do because we've been there so often) always try to get Mom out asap. They say they know I will take excellent care of her. (I think they just want to get rid of me so I don't give the other patients any ideas!)

Anyway, good news! I took Mom home this afternoon. They wanted to send her home in an ambulance (easier for them) but I made them help me get her dressed and put her in the car. We took a slow drive along the scenic route home, about 1/2 an hour from the hospital.

She was couped up in a very small room without a window since Sunday night, so the beautiful blue sky and the almost 70 degree temperature really perked her up.

Tomorrow, I'll be trying to get her back on a regular schedule; it's the only way she's going to get out of "sick mode" and regain her strength.

Now, there is a glimpse of humor in all this. I think I told you about the home health company that "discharged" us because I complained about their faulty equipment and incompetent service. Well, we signed with another company and in this morning's paper, I read the new company I signed with is buying out the other company. Now when I file my complaint, I may get to wreck the sale.

When the Universe speaks, it's powerful. When it makes a joke, it's fabulous!

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/13/06 07:08 PM

I'm so glad to hear that Mom got to go home. Don't you know that when she heard those words, "going home today" that she immediately started to feel better?

You are such a kind and loving person. Oh that I would have someone like you taking care of me in my old age. What a blessing that would be. I love the way you described your Mother in the first paragraph, "To them, she is the patient in bed #2. To me, she's the one and only." That says it all.

Good luck with Mom, and the new company. You two are never far away from my thoughts.

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/14/06 10:28 AM

Well, folks, I spent another fun-filled day/night in the ER! We started at our doctor's office and he called the ambulance because Mom wasn't breathing right. I think it was the oxygen tank!

Anyway, we were released (it feels like getting out of prison) and by the time we got home, it was almost midnight.

Just another day in the life of a caregiver.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/15/06 07:44 PM

Good morning, everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been able to post in the AM. We actually had a semi-normal day yesterday. I say "semi" because Mom is now in "sick mode," a phenomenom I didn't know about when I first wrote the book.

This varies from person to person. In our case, if Mom is sick for more than a few days or stays in the hospital even briefly, she goes into sick mode. She moans, does nothing to assist in her daily activities, and has a grimace on her face like she sucked a lemon.

This time, she worked herself up so much, she clenched her teeth until she couldn't open her mouth without extreme pain.

The most important thing to remember is to snap your parent out of sick mode asap. If it persists, the way back to "normal" takes longer.

In our case, determining sick mode is easy. When Mom moans, I ask her if she's in pain. If she says no and I then ask her why she's moaning. Her answer is always the same: I don't know. Then I tell her, instead of moaning, say "ha, ha' ha" which she does. I also work on the grimace and make her smile, even weakly. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it works. (If any of you remember Norman Cousins' story, that was my inspiration.)

For Mom, I acknowledge her discomfort, but tell her if she was still sick, she'd be in the hosptial. I also tell her to look at my face and ask her if I look worried. When she says no, I tell her that she's recovering and she she shouldn't worry.

I think one of the reasons we wound up back in the emergency room was our doctor said maybe you should take her back to the hospital. She heard that and she immediately started to deteriorate. This is also why I do everything I can to keep her home!

I've got this down to a science, so after a little trouble starting the day, we wound up better. This morning, she's even better.

I "googled" information about TMJ and treated it that way. Warm compresses on the neck and sides of her face along with gentle massage of the area. Her right side is back to normal; now I'm working on the left side.

One more note. To get nutrition into her since she can't chew, I tried Boost, but it has a milk base--she has a problem with some dairy--so I switched to Ensure which she's tolerating better.

Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/15/06 10:39 PM

Just love your positive approach to "sick mode".
She's a very lucky lady to have a caregiver that is so supportive and loving, one she calls daughter. Your love for her...abounds through out these posts.

My husband and I do not have parents, that we will be caring for...but, I have found your sharing most helpful.

You never know when time will present itself, and we will be called to care for loved ones.

Thanks...for sharing your love and knowledge.

May you both continue to receive the strength to carry on.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/17/06 07:17 AM

Hi Everyone,

We had our most normal day since Mom has been sick.

We (my CNA and I) got her out of bed and she immediately perked up. She ate a normal lunch and we chatted about shopping. By the time she got back into bed, she was exhausted.

I just checked on her and she's watching the Golden Globe Awards with a little smile on her face.

As for me, well, I feel like I took a Valium or had a few drinks. My entire body has relaxed and I am going to call it a night.

Before I go, just wanted to relate another nursing home horror story. My friend's son-in-law's grandmother was having trouble breathing but no one at her nursing home called 9-1-1 because they were too busy! By the time an ambulance was called, it was too late. She died from oxygen deprivation in the ambulance. I heard about this yesterday and needless to say, I was up all night checking on Mom's oxygen.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/18/06 08:41 AM

F N, I recall Mom being in sick mode too. One time she was in the ER over 24 hours. Her reaction was horrendous. The doctor blamed it on the fact that there were no windows in the ER. He said they don't know if it's night, or day, and it totally confuses them.

Give in to the feeling and sleep. You need to take care of yourself too.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/19/06 04:32 AM

Hi Everyone!

Another good day on the homefront and I had my first work day since Christmas when Mom got sick. That's right, I haven't worked since Christmas!

It's a good thing I work from home and I've been doing this for a very long time or I'd never be able to catch-up. Now, for at least the next week, I'll be doing double time!

It's interesting. When Dotsie first invited me participate in this forum, I was excited to share my experiences with all of you. I never thought you'd be getting an "up close and personal" first-hand glimpse into my life!

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/20/06 11:55 PM

F N, glad to hear your mom's health is improving.

Would you be kind enough to share some of the changes that had to be made within your home to accomodate your mom? You mentioned quite a few in your book that I also recall taking into consideration when we were caring for my mom at her home too.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/21/06 07:23 PM

Well, I widened the door of the main bathroom she uses. It was originally 24" wide and I put in a 30" door so she could get thrrough with her walker. I found a sink and cabinest that was 18" deep (standard is 21") and a toilet that is chair height and space-saver elongated which is now readily available. (This use to be a special order item.)

I put hardwoods down - easier for her to walk on than carpeting and certainly easier to keep clean.

I also rearranged the furniture so there was a clear path for her to walk. After she stopped walking, this made it easier to move her around in her wheelchair.

I didn't put in grab bars because I think a medical model can be self-defeating for an older person.

The biggest thing I did was give up my "office" so she could have her own space. I now work in a 5'x7' area of my bedroom. I set it up so when I'm finished working, I can close it off and I have a bedroom, not an exposed office.

[ January 21, 2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/24/06 09:16 PM

I think one of the most improtant things to do when caring for soemone who is ill is to get rid of the clutter. It gets in the way of oxygen tanks, hoses and walkers.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/25/06 01:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

I had to take my mother back to the hospital on Saturday. The ER doctor scared me to death by telling me my mother had pneumonia and was having a heart attack. When he asked me if I wanted to resuscitate, you can imagine. Then another doctor came along and said she didn't have pneumonia and she wasn't having a heart attack.

It's been a roller coaster ever since.

I'm spending nights there because they're horribly understaffed. I have someone staying with my mother from 10-5, so I'm getting ready to leave in a few minutes.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/25/06 02:49 AM

Sorry to hear your mom had to go back to the hospital.

Did they inform you what she did have? Sometimes, these doctors can act so unprofessional and uncaring.

Good idea having someone stay with her so you can get some rest.

Saying prayers for both of you...

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/27/06 06:49 PM

FN, how about an update? What a crazy month this has been for you and your mom. I'm so sorry. Are you doing anything to take care of yourself?

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/29/06 02:22 AM

Hi Everyone,

Mom is still in the hospital. There are signs of improvement, but I don't think I'll be able to take her home before next Thursday.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I hoped we'd be spending it at home. At least I still have her with me.

For those of you who have gone through this or are anticipating going through this, you have to remain flexible. This has been a difficult month, but we went through something similar in July. We were back and forth at the hospital 5 times in 6 weeks. Three of those times she was admitted. I sat by my mother's bedside for the better part of July from the 4th through the first week in August.

This time, I hired someone to spend days with her--this way I can work--and I spend nights except tomorrow when I'll be there all day--no coverage.

It's important to have someone cover for you when you're not there if a loved one is in the hospital so you have eyes and ears. Hospitals make mistakes!

I'm always amused by the reality shows I see on TV. I often think if they really want a reality show, they should follow me (or any caregiver) around for a month. It would be an eye-opener!

I won't have coverage until Monday, so I'll check back then.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/29/06 02:36 AM

I have been through it, with both parents, and it is very stressful. But get every moment together that you can, you won't regret it.

FN, have a very Happy Birthday, tomorrow! ((HUGS))

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/29/06 04:25 AM

Happy Birthday FN and I hope the day is magical and you are surrounded buy love.... [Razz]

[ January 28, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/30/06 08:11 AM

I continue to be amazed by your dedication. Your mother is blessed to have such a devoted daughter. Happy birthday!

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 01/31/06 11:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my last day as your featured author and I'm sure you will never forget this month. You have been living a nightmare with me which explains better than I ever could in a book about the roller coaster we caregivers ride.

Two days ago, on my birthday, a doctor came in and humbly admitted they'd been "chasing a red herring" which diverted attention from Mom's pneumonia. Then he told me it got much worse.

Now, I am hanging on day-by-day. I am worn out and sheer stubborness has kept me going. I am a fighter. I am my mother's daughter and I pray that she still has her fight in her.

I am heading back to the hospital where I continue to spend nights. There were two potential mix-ups in medicines, so it is important that you always ask questions and make sure they are being administered correctly.

I leave you with grateful appreciation for your support and good wishes, and most of all, your prayers. Please continue to pray for my mother.

G-d bless all of you who have been so kind to me during this very difficult month. Best, Francyne

[ January 31, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/01/06 12:44 AM

FN...will continue to say prayers for you and your mom.
Please, continue to update us on her progress.

Thank-you for your time and extra energy here.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/01/06 07:46 PM

FN, thanks so much for you time spent with us during this difficult month. I will remember you and your mom in my prayers. I admire your devotion!

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/02/06 05:34 PM

I am sad to tell you that my mother passed away yesterday morning. I am about to leave for the airport to attend the funeral, scheduled for Friday at 12 noon.

As hard as the next few days will be, I can't imagine coming back here to an empty house.

Your continued thoughts and prayers for her, and your kindness toward me are gratefully appreciated. Francyne
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/02/06 06:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Francyne.
{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/03/06 08:18 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers will continue. May you be given the strength you need in this time of sorrow.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/03/06 08:48 AM

F N, I am shocked and so sorry for your loss. YOu can certainly grieve without regrets. You were such a dedicated daughter. You are in my prayers. Please let us hear form you when you get back.

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/02/06 09:05 PM

Oh Francyne, I am SOOOO sorry! I agree with Dotsie, that you will have no regrets. You loved and cared for your mom so well and I pray that will help give you peace in the days to come...

(((HUGS)))

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/03/06 04:27 AM

Francyne if ever there was someone who had no regrets for the love and care of their parent, it should be you, dear person. I am so sorry to hear that your sweet Mother has passed. Please know that my heart aches for you and I will remember to ask God repeatedly to give you the strength you need to cope, heal, and find peace. We are all with you now.

JJ

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/15/06 09:34 PM

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. It is a great comfort at this very difficult time. fnr

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/16/06 05:53 AM

F N have you ever seen the messages under the Friends Heal Friends thread on January 28th. everyone wished you a Happy Birthday, there was a cake and everything...LOL
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Taking Care of Mom - 02/16/06 09:10 AM

I missed your post about the loss of your Mom. Please accept my sincere regrets. We watched you walk through the last days of your mother's life and admire the wonderful way you cared for her. You are a loving daughter and you can grieve without regret.

May God fill your heart with the peace of knowing you did the right thing.

I am so sorry.

smile