Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn

Posted by: Dotsie

Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/28/05 06:16 PM

I'm excited to introduce Patrika, our August Featured Author. She is the Authors Advocate – the ultimate guru on the craft of writing, marketing and publishing. I took her book, Everything You Need to Know to WRITE PUBLISH & MARKET YOUR BOOK to the dentist with me a few days ago. This book packed her 25 years of experience in every aspect of writing and publishing into a compact 194 pages. It was such a great read, I felt as though I had taken many writing courses when I finished. The best part is that this book (the only one that does this!) shows how the writing, marketing and publishing interact to spell success or failure.

Patrika is a published author and ghostwriter, a publisher and a literary agent, with numerous awards, including the Order of Excellence from Who's Who in the 21st Century,
She's also listed in Outstanding People of the 21st Century.

Visit her site at:
http://www.acappela.com/index.html

Join her on August 1st.

[ July 28, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/29/05 01:04 AM

Patrika sounds wonderful Dotsie! But I hate to see JJ go!
Posted by: writegirl1949

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/29/05 01:36 AM

What an awesome website. Can't wait for the discussion.

Blessings, Francine
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/29/05 06:30 AM

Wuhooo...will she EVER be in the right place! Oh boy! I can't wait to pick her brain.

Thanks TVC..but trust me, I ain't going nowhere! I'll be around...lurking. Be afraid...be vereeee afraid...teehee.

JJ
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/29/05 07:20 AM

I just signed up for the newsletter from Patrikas site. I think it's gonna be a hot topic August.

I'll miss JJ as featured author too. It's been fun.

chick
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 07/29/05 05:50 PM

JJ, wanted to say you did such a wonderful job here the last month. It was so much fun and informative too. I appreciate your wit so much.
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/01/05 08:00 PM

Hi Patrika,

I just signed up for the newsletter on your site. I look forward to this months discussion.

Welcome Patrika and glad to have you as Featured Author!

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/01/05 08:50 PM

Patrika,
Please tell us how we can get an autographed copy of your book.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/03/05 04:22 AM

Hi,

I was wondering when are we going to meet Patrika? I am just a bit excited here.

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/03/05 04:35 AM

Ladies, she is coming. I promise. We are having trouble getting her logged in. Seems she' registered before and we can't find her registration. We're getting close. So sorry about the inconvenience.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/03/05 06:18 AM

LOL, this has happened to more people than you would know, as I have found out from other forums!

Thanks Dotsie for the update!

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/04/05 04:39 PM

This will be straightened out today. Sorry for all the confusion. I have been away and did everything I could to help Patrika by email and phone. Today I'm in my office and should be able to walk her through.
Posted by: Patrika Vaughn

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/04/05 11:07 PM

Hello everyone. I'm here at last, with Dotsie patient help in getting me registered and on the forum.
Now let me go to see what all of you have had to say so far.....Patrika

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/04/05 11:19 PM

posted August 01, 2005 01:50
Patrika,
Please tell us how we can get an autographed copy of your book.
Easy as pie....just go to http://www.acappela.com/books.htm and order it. Put a note in the Comments section that you'd like it autographed and I'll do it. If you'd like a personalized message, let me know that, too, in the Comments section.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/04/05 11:28 PM

I'm so glad to be here (finally!) Dotsie and I were mightily puzzled over the registration complexities we ran into, but here I am, anxious to hear from you.
To get you started, take a look at my website http://www.acappela.com, where you'll find a lot of information about writing, marketing and publishing. I've tried to cut to the chase with most of the info, to save you time.
While you're at the site, you might want to subscribe (at the bottom of my home page) to my free newsletter for writers. It just takes a click of your mouse to do it.
So....read....think....come back to boomerwomenspeak and ask me questions. My brain is here for the picking!
Patrika
ite,

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/04/05 11:49 PM

After it taking days to get here, I can't wait to start! I'm looking forward to some exciting back-and-forths with you, answering your questions about your writing and/or the marketing and publishing of your works. To get you started, I suggest you go to my website http://www.acappela.comand read the loads of information there on every aspect of writing and publishing. While you're there, why not also sign up for my free newsletter for writers (at the bottom of my home page). So -- read...think...then come back to boomerwomenspeak and ask me questions. My brain is here for the picking!
Patrika

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/05/05 12:38 AM

Welcome Patrika,
Thank you for all of the information. Your website is great.
Any tips for a new writer?

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/07/05 08:30 AM

Patrika,

I have been to your web-site and wow, there is a wealth of information and a great variety of services.

I have not written before except for taking notes, so far and a couple of articles on my web-site.

I do have a subject in mind, and I did ask the women here where should I start?

Now I am asking you, what would be the best way to get organized? What services do you recommend for first time writer's to start with?

Perhaps, we can start from here with the questions. Sort of an ice breaker if you will.

I am glad you are here.

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/07/05 08:34 AM

BTW Patrika, here is the link to the post in regards to an idea I had. Maybe this will give you a better perspective as to what I am talking about.

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000111

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/08/05 07:34 AM

Patrika, I especially liked your book becasue you gave concrete ideas on developing topics.

Can you tell us someof he classes you teach?

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/09/05 06:24 PM

Now I am confused. Which thread do we ask the questions? I was hoping for an answer.

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/10/05 03:30 AM

Patrika,
In the spirit of helping out, you might want to go back and read the post on page 1 of this FEATURED AUTHOR section and also, the ones on this page (page 2). There are numerous questions and I know the women here would be thrilled to have your input/answers.

It might also be easier for everyone to follow the discussions and to keep up if we contained the post to this "Featured Author" page instead of starting new ones.

I can't wait to read everything you will share with us! Please do! We are eager to learn!

JJ

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/13/05 12:57 AM

This was posted by Patrika:

Writing is communicating. If you're writing, you want your words seen (read 'be published'). That's where I come in. I'd like to share with you what I've learned over the past 25 years about how the writing and marketing and publishing work together to spell either success or failure for your works. So ask me questions!

For starters, have you thought about who you're writing FOR? Who is intended to read your words?It's a good idea to know this BEFORE you write.
Patrika
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smilinize
Member # 141

posted August 08, 2005 07:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patrika,
Which do you begin with first, the message or the audience?
smile

--------------------
Plays and musicals written specifically for your town, event, or church. http://historytheater.org/index.html And here's some fun characters for Children http://www.geocities.com/chett4art

Thistle Cove Farm
Member # 154

posted August 09, 2005 01:31 AM
Hello Patrika and thanks for your note. I'm going to ask some questions and am hopeful this many questions is all right.

I speak, write and teach folks how to increase their small farm income...folks who already have a small farm or folks dreaming about leaving the sidewalks.

A magazine editor e-mailed me for some information /which I was able to give speedily and correctly/ and I then pitched my book idea to her and asked if she could recommend a publisher...all the while knowing her magazine was affiliated with a publishing company.

The publisher has published a few farm related/type books. One on sheep, can't remember what the other one or two were. The "farm type" magazines include 2 horse magazines, a cat magazine, a bird magazine and a farm magazine. They are interested in publishing my book and are waiting on me to send them a table of contents.

*how do I know they are the right publisher for me/my book?

*if they aren't the right publisher, how do I find the right publisher?

*how do I approach the right publisher?

*do I need an agent to "do the deal"? I know nothing about what I should be paid, if I should get any copies of the book gratis, etc.

*if I need an agent, how do I find one that will be a good fit for me/my book?

*how does a publisher market my book? what should I expect of the publisher?

*what does the publisher expect of me?

It's late and I should have been in bed *hours* ago but then I saw your e-mail. Many thanks for your note and help...very greatly appreciated. When my head has had some sleep, I'll have more questions; hope that's okay.

--------------------
Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm where it's beautiful one day & perfect the next!
www.thistlecovefarm.com
http://www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com

Optimumsteps
Member # 301

posted August 09, 2005 11:25 AM
Now I am confused. Which thread do we ask the questions? I was hoping for an answer.

Cheers,
Cathi

--------------------
Keeping the Hope

Patrika Vaughn
Member # 657

posted August 10, 2005 08:56 AM
Smilinize:
You asked if a writer should begin with the message or the audience, and the answer is BOTH.
Once you know what it is you want to say, you have to decide who you want to say it to, because that will determine how you say it.
Example: If you're a 25 year old CPA with a new accounting method, addressing older, established CPAs, you would do beter to take a questioning rather than an authoratitive tone. Don't say, "The way you've been doing this for the past 30 years is wrong. Here's the way it should be done." (This will definitely annoy your audience.) Instead, say something like, "Your vast experience and expertise in accounting allows you to innovate. I'd like to introduce a cost-savings method that will allow you to better serve your clients and cut down on your work load." This approach doesn't insult the intended audience, but tells them what's in it for them if they listen to your ideas.
The same applies to fiction. You have to know who your audience is in order to decide the voice you'll use to tell your story.

For more on this, see pages 1-116 of Write Publish & market Your Book (www.acapela.com/books.htm)
Patrika

Patrika Vaughn
Member # 657

posted August 10, 2005 09:06 AM
Sandra (Thistle Cove Farm):
First, congratulations on interesting a publisher - any publisher -in your book!This puts you way ahead of the majority of writers out there.
How do you know if this one is the right publisher for you? You don't, until you ask questions to find out. You have to know what you want out of a publishing deal....lots of money? Just getting your material out there? Lots of marketing exposure, so your future publications will have a built-in audience?
Decide your needs, then ask this publisher and any others who express interest where they stand on your pertinent issues.
You don't need an agent, particularly if you've already made contact with an interested publisher. A good attorney can handle the contract details for you (which should include details about how the publisher will market your book, because if it isn't well marketed, it won't sell.
You've asked a question that takes a book to answer and fortunately I have such a book. In Write Market & Publish Your Book (www.acappela.com/books.htm) I cover everything from query letters to marketing and choosing a publisher. It might save you time to read it before you sign a publishing deal.
Again, congratulations and good luck!

Patrika Vaughn
Member # 657

posted August 10, 2005 09:07 AM
Cathy:
Got questions? Ask them here, on this thread.
Patrika

chickadee
Member # 246

posted August 10, 2005 09:40 AM
What's in a name? When I began writing my book, I didn't have an appropriate name. A published author friend of mine told me,"The name will come, just keep writing." It did come and I wouldn't want it changed.
What if the publisher wants to change it, or would a publisher suggest such a thing?
chick

--------------------
Prayer is not the least but the most we can do for another human being

Optimumsteps
Member # 301

posted August 11, 2005 12:42 AM
Patrika,

I have been to your web-site and wow, there is a wealth of information and a great variety of services.

I have not written before except for taking notes or journaling if you will, and writing some of the articles on my web-site. That is what I have done, as far as writing is concerned.

I do have a subject in mind, and I did ask the women here as to where should I start? Here is the link to that thread http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000111

Now I am asking you, what would be the best way to get organized? What services do you recommend for first time writer's to start with?

Thanks and Cheers,
Cathi

--------------------
Keeping the Hope

Thistle Cove Farm
Member # 154

posted August 11, 2005 12:43 AM
Patrika, thank you. Yes, I am pleased the publisher is interested and consider it a win-win situation. I've got plenty of useful information that will help other people and the publisher can put it before them.

God opens the doors and I walk through 'em. Hmmm...I'll just pay God ten percent and let Him be my agent.

Is your book sold through Amazon?

--------------------
Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm where it's beautiful one day & perfect the next!
www.thistlecovefarm.com
http://www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com

[ August 12, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/13/05 12:58 AM

Ladies, I cut and pasted all the posts that were begun under another topic. Everything for Patrika is now in this topic. Thanks.

This is a first, but I think it should work.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/15/05 08:36 PM

Patrika, I thought your book was one of the best I've read as far as sharing very specific writing tips.

Ladies, please ask Patrika about writing effective beginnings, developing action and characters, plots and turning points for fiction. She has excellent advice to offer. All you have to do is ask.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/15/05 09:27 PM

Patrika,
I would be interested in knowing your personal favorite type of writing/reading. Do you have a favorite?

Also, in a recent interview, I was asked if I had any "lines" I wouldn't cross. Any boundaries. Of course immediately I said profanity, number one. However, I also said I would not use humor to make fun of another's distress.

Do you as a writer/speaker and public figure have boundaries as well? If so, would you share those with us?

Many thanks, JJ

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 01:52 AM

#246 chickadee: What to do if a publisher wants to change the hard-won title you've given your book? Well, once you've signed the contract a publisher can do whatever (s)he wants, unless you have specifically made it part of the contract that the title must be retained. It's because of this that self-publishing is such a good idea. It allows you to retain complete control of your work. Another good reason is that it allows you to keep 80% of the book's profits rather than settling for 10% royalties.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 01:57 AM

#301 Optimumsteps: What's the best way to get started with writing? (Here comes an unabashed commercial) by taking my online class, START HERE at www.acapela.com/ It begins with the steps most skip over,leaving it to you to figure yout yeas later in hindsight. This class will help you understand why you want to write; what kinds of writing best suit your talents; how to get the rewards you want from writing. It will create a solid foundation under your writing, side-steppig a lot of the usual frustrations beginner writers suffer.
Hope to see you "in class."

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 02:00 AM

#154 Thistle Cove Farm. Glad you're moving forward on the sale of your book. My book? Yes, it certainly is available on amazon -- though for faster delivery, go directly to www.acappela.com/books.htm. While you're there, check out the audiobooks, CDs and online classes too.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 02:01 AM

Dotsie:
Thanks for the kind words about my book, and for your assistance in getting everything on the right track. I'm looking forward to being asked some of those questions you suggested!

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 02:22 AM

#111 jawjaw: Boundaries? You betcha!
Words are wonderful things, and those spoken publicly can never be taken back. So I constantly strive for random acts of humor, gentleness and diplomacy, while never stooping to a lie. About profanity: I've always believed it was a poor substitute for a clear statement. Sometimes a four-letter word is needed in dialogue, to keep the dialogue realistic, but there's never a need to overdo it (unless the character speaking is illiterate and has a poor command of the language.) Words are too much fun to limit your use of them to those four-letter words.

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 04:13 AM

This was posted by Kelly.

Hi Patrika,

Thanks for taking the time to be with us. I am wondering if you could provide some advice regarding doing a market analysis of your book's potential reader/buyer for the purposes of selling the idea to a publisher or agent. I always read that one should "know your market", things like demographics, what those people are buying and reading, what are similar books and how well did they do, etc, but how the heck does one find all that information? Any words of help are appreciated.

Best regards,
Kelly

--------------------
Kelly L. Adams Stone
www.kellylstone.com

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 10:33 PM

#111 Interesting questions, jawjaw.
I have so many favs it's hard to answer.I love to write fiction and I also love to write about how to write it(and nonfiction too.)I read voraciously, always with a blue pencil in my hand because I'm analyzing what makes a particular piece work, regardless of its genre.
As for boundaries, I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule. Even when honesty requires criticism, I try to do it gently and to stick to the facts. And why would I want to offend anyone's ears with profanity when other words are usually more precise?

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/16/05 10:47 PM

Kelly:
Analyzing a book's market potentila isn't that hard to do. You can start with informal research such as asking your librarian and favorite book seller what's selling in your genre. Amazon.com is another good place to find out what's out there. Search engines such as Google.com will also give you a lot of information.
The point of knowing about similar books is so that you can tell a potential publisher and/or agent what they are and how they're selling (this helps them determine the size of the potential market for yours.)the most important thing you need to know and share with a potential agent or publisher is WHAT'S UNIQUE ABOUT YOUR BOOK. Compare it to the competition. Sum up by saying something like, "While all current books in this category cover _____, mine is the only one that takes the next step and includes ______."

Hope that helps, Kelly.If you need more, see my online class, "Stalking the Markets" at www.acappela.com

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/17/05 01:03 AM

Patrika,

Thanks for answering all of my questions and I couldn't agree more on the profanity issue. Of course using foul language was only one aspect of the boundary question...I suppose things like politics, religion, etc., would be others; however, I think you probably feel the same way that most of us do, TABOO! Why write about these things, OR, use profanity when there are so many other options? As I said, I couldn't agree more.

JJ

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/17/05 11:09 PM

#232 TVC15 Do I have any tips for a new writer? DO I! About a million of them, spread out through my books, audiobooks CDs and online classes.
For starters, TRUST YOURSELF. Don't let your fears of failure give you writer's block. You have truths and views inside you that are unique to you, and only you can share them with the world. Trust that, and write. Make a contract with yourself to write for a given amount of time each day. Be realistic. If you can only consistently spend 15 minutes a day at it, commit to 15 minutes a day. Then do it. Ask your family and friends to leave you undisturbed during that time...after all, if you don't take your writing seriously, why should they?
Hope that helps.
Patrika
Your Author's Advocate
A Cappela Publishing
www.acappela.com
acappub@aol.com

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/17/05 11:19 PM

#111 jawjaw: In my live classes I have two rules about critiquing:
1) the author may not speak until everyone in the room has given their critique
2) critiquers may critique only the writing, not the issues dealt with. In other words, if the work is an article or short story in favor of abortion and the critiquer is staunchly against abortion, this may not be argued in my writing class. Writing classes are about the craft of writing, not a platform for arguing political or religious views.
Patrika
Your Author's Advocate
A Cappela Publishing
www.acappela.com
acappub@aol.com

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/17/05 11:23 PM

TVC15 #232 You know, I was sure I'd answered this but since I don't see it anywhere on the forum, I'll answer again:
You can get an autographed copy of my book or audiobook or CD set, simply by ordering it at www.acappela.com/books.htm. In the "Comments" section at the bottom of the credit card ordering form, just mention that you want it autographed and give the name of the person the book should be dedicated to. (If it's a gift, be sure to let us know the adress of the recipient.)

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/17/05 11:27 PM

Thank you Patrika!

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/26/05 09:54 PM

Haven't heard from anyone in a few days, so thought I would post a question of my own:

HOW DO YOU CHOOSE YOUR MAIN CHARACTER/PROTAGONIST, AND HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS CHARACTER BEFORE YO BEGIN WRITING?

Re: Write, Publish & Market Your Book, Patrika Vaughn - 08/26/05 11:49 PM

Aha, I write non-fiction so I am no help.

Patrika, what do you think is the best way to find an agent? Can you recommend any particluar books, conferences, magazines?