The China Conspiracy

Posted by: pmterrell

The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 06:08 PM

Hi, everyone!
I'll be here this month talking about my latest suspense/thriller, The China Conspiracy, about the publishing industry, and writing in general. I've been teaching writing/ publishing classes for a few years now, so ask me any questions you want. If I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does!
Just a little background about The China Conspiracy: the main character is Kit Olsen, a woman in her 40's who works for the CIA as a computer programmer/analyst. She's married to an increasingly absent husband and mother to a 16-year-old son named Tim. She's just trying to get through each day as "superwoman" -- holding down a full-time job with all the demands that makes upon her, trying to figure out where the spark went in her marriage, and trying to do the best she can in raising Tim. Then Tim is kidnapped - a mother's worst nightmare. The ransom is some programming code written in Mandarin that the CIA covertly intercepted. Now Kit is trying to get her son back, and also trying to learn what the code does and why the kidnappers want it. It leads her from a sedentary life as a programmer to politicial espionage and international intrigue... and a political bonfire she never could have imagined.
I'm looking forward to discussing how the whole idea of The China Conspiracy came about (leading back to the 2000 Presidential Election), and your thoughts about Kit as a Boomer Woman... and answering any questions you have about writing or publishing!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 07:15 PM

Glad to see you jumped right in.

Here's a little information about patricia:

The China Conspiracy is the second suspense thriller in a series that casts female programmers in the lead roles—women who find themselves caught in life or death situations where they must use their knowledge and their guts to rescue themselves.

"I always have admired strong women," Patricia admits. "I think it came from listening to my father tell us stories about our ancestry, and all the strong women in our family. One ancestor, Paralee Drake, was left at home during the Civil War when her husband joined the Confederate Army. When a group of Union soldiers tried to steal the hams from the smokehouse, she stood in the doorway with her shotgun, and told them those hams were all she had to feed her seven children, and they would get to them over her dead body. Legend has it, they left her, her children and the hams alone."

It's the kind of guts the characters in her books would admire.

Reviews:

Editor Rebecca Brown (http://www.rebeccasreads.com/reviews/11mysthr/11terp33.html) says: “p.m.terrell, author of the wildly successful Kickback, is back with another hair-raising, fast-paced thriller pitting a savvy programmer, a TV news reporter with a painful past, & an enigmatic Chinese-American translator against a dogged police inspector, a newly elected politician & the shadow men of the CIA & FBI… With a nod to The Manchurian Candidate, this modern caper comes out the gate at a gallop, & keeps you hurtling through winter storms & burrowing into the mazes of a shell company, moments before the killers, inches in front of certain disaster.”

Reviewer Deborah Hern (http://www.theromancereadersconnection.com/reviews/terrellpm1503.html): “This exciting story takes off from the very first page and never lets up for a moment. The pace is fast, the plotting excellent, and the characters are human and believable. The evolving relationship between Kit and Carter seems very natural, never strained. The secondary characters moving in and out of the story are all well-drawn and add intrigue to the mix. My advice: Don’t start this one late at night. You’ll find yourself feverishly turning pages long into the wee hours.”

Patricia Terrell, a Boomer Woman who writes under the pen name p.m.terrell, was born in Washington, DC to an FBI Special Agent and his homemaker wife, the third of five children. Although they lived for short periods throughout the country, Trish (as she prefers to be called) is a native Washingtonian who has lived most of her life in the Washington, D.C. suburbs.
Her life, like the novels she writes, took a series of different twists and turns. Until recent years, her writing took a back seat to marriage, raising a family, and earning a living. Through a stroke of luck (or some would say, fate) she was working for a subsidiary of IBM when the first Apple computers rolled off the production lines, and she found herself on the ground floor of a mushrooming industry.
In 1984, when she was known as Patricia McClelland, she opened her first business, McClelland Enterprises, Inc. It was one of the first companies in the Washington, DC metropolitan area that was devoted entirely to personal computer classroom instruction. She personally wrote all of the course manuals that were used in the classes. During this period, three of her computer how-to books were also published: Creating the Perfect Database, published by Scott-Foresman, followed by The Dynamics of WordPerfect and The Dynamics of Reflex, both published by Dow Jones-Irwin. She also wrote a series of columns for The Washington Business Advisor, The Washington Post, and The Washington Business Journal, among others.

Ten years later, she became Patricia McClelland Terrell, and opened her second business, Terrell Computer Services, Inc., which is now known as Continental Software Development Corporation, USA.

Trish is a strong supporter of Crime Solvers, Crime Stoppers, and Crime Lines. She served as the first female President of the Chesterfield/ Colonial Heights Crime Solvers, breaking through the glass ceiling to chair a board that had previously been firmly managed by a “good old boys” network. “It was not a job for the faint of heart,” Trish says laughingly. Using her background in computers, she took the organization into the 21st Century, including establishing a web site that receives almost a quarter million hits per month and has earned a link from America’s Most Wanted.

On April 1, 2004 she was with Virginia Governor Mark Warner when he signed into legislation additional protection for citizens calling Crime Solvers and Crime Stoppers with tips. It ensures that citizens will remain anonymous and can not be called to testify in court.

Although Trish wrote stories growing up, she set aside her literary pursuits until 2000, when she wrote her first published suspense/thriller, Kickback. She’d been working as a programmer and had developed an application for a trucking firm when they approached her and asked her to add a routine that effectively hid their under-the-table kickbacks.

“I was the worst programmer in the world for them to ask,” she says, laughing. “I went straight home and called my dad, who is a retired FBI Special Agent.” He put her in contact with the local FBI field office, and she turned over evidence to them of the kickback scheme.

“As time went by,” she says, “I wondered what would have happened if the FBI hadn’t believed me… or if the trucking company threatened my life.” So the idea for Kickback was formed, in which a much younger programmer enters her first job, right out of college, only to find they want her to write a program to hide illegal kickbacks. Only in this story, the FBI don’t believe her and the closer the main character gets to gathering evidence of illegal activities, the closer the bad guys get to ending her life.

During the 2000 Presidential election, Trish was having lunch with two of her computer clients when they began discussing the problem of hanging, pregnant, and dimpled chads. “I argued that the U.S. would have to computerize the elections; we had come so far technologically that it didn’t make sense to continue with old-fashioned paper ballots with punch holes. But as I thought about it, I realized how easy it would be to “fix” an election if it was computerized.”

So once Kickback was finished, she started on The China Conspiracy. And as The China Conspiracy was hitting the bookshelves, Johns Hopkins University led a study into the real computerized touch-screen technology used by many states in the 2004 election. And their findings were chilling: that the new technology was so security flawed, “even a foreign government could easily infiltrate the system and rig our elections.” The China Conspiracy has received international attention, including segments broadcast into Communist China by Voice of America and a thirty-minute PBS television show.

In August 2004, Trish combined her literary pursuits with her law enforcement connections to co-found The Book ‘Em Foundation (www.bookemfoundation.org), a non-profit organization, whose mission is to increase public awareness of the connection between high illiteracy rates and high crime rates, increase literacy rates, and decrease crime rates. They held the First Annual Book 'Em Event on October 23, 2004 in Waynesboro, Virginia, which featured 48 authors who signed their books and participated in talks and discussions. Proceeds from the event went to literacy projects and decreasing crime. The event was so successful the City of Waynesboro signed a 20-year agreement (the first in its history) to have the Book ‘Em Event held in their town every October. The next event is scheduled for October 22-23, 2005.

Trish is currently working on her third suspense/thriller, Ricochet, which is due out later this year. She has two more suspense/thrillers scheduled after that. And her agent is currently negotiating the movie rights to both Kickback and The China Conspiracy. You can view more information about her and her books at www.pmterrell.com.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 07:59 PM

So glad you are here Trish...! Fellow Boomers I'm here to tell you both "The China Conspiracy" and "Kickback" are excellent books, and very fascinating stories. Trish has been so helpful to me over the last year and knows so much about so many aspects of writing and this business in general. [Wink]
Posted by: Dianne

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 08:55 AM

Please share your "trick of the trade" for making your characters more than one dimensional.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 09:48 PM

Hi, everyone!

Dotsie, thanks so much for that great introduction. And my dear good friend Pam, I should hire you as my publicist. I'm always happy to help someone as wonderful as you are.

Dianne, what a great question to get this forum going! I have a number of "tricks of the trade". Sitting on my desk is a very worn copy of "Building Believable Characters" published by Writer's Digest Books. Every single time (without fail!) that I develop a new character, whether it's a main character or a secondary or temporary (one scene only) character, I reach for this book.

Let's say I start out with a nondescript male coworker in one of my scenes. Using the physical description portion of this book, which is divided by eye color, facial expressions, noses, hair, physical body type, etc., I come up with a description, interwoven throughout several paragraphs. The nondescript worker now becomes: a programmer with stooped shoulders, whose hours in front of the computer left him with the muscles of linguini, his fawn-colored eyes so bloodshot they remind me of a parched desert, the cracks deep and wanting, his face doughy from lack of sun...

There are personality traits in this book also, so this coworker becomes an anomie (a person with feelings of alienation and not belonging to society) whose only friends are the pet spider and turtle he keeps in glass containers set side by side... (a spider and a turtle, because they can not be hugged; they are cold blooded...)

I also love to go to a busy coffee shop or cafe, where I can sit and listen to snippets of conversation, observe clothing and mannerisms...

I could go on and on. I love developing memorable characters!
Posted by: Prill

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 10:43 PM

Trish-- I'm struggling at this moment--in a hotel in D.C. (I presume you're somewhere within a 100-mile radius)--with the wording to the forward of the Chinese edition of my book. So, true to form, I'm fidgeting and doing everything I can to avoid the hard work of facing the page. (Can you relate?) In other words, I'm checking my e-mail, checking the forum, etc. I know I'll finish today, which is the deadline, but I'm undoubtedly going to be tinkering with a word here, a word there, until the very last moment.

Anyway, despite what I just said, I'm so glad I checked the forum. I want to welcome you. You're off to a tremendous start! I've already learned something from you. I'm going on-line this afternoon and ordering "Building Believable Characters." Can't wait to follow the discussion and see what else you have to say. [Big Grin]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/01/05 11:17 PM

Trish, following what Prill said about doing everything but writing. How do you schedule your writing time so you aren't distracted by all the things Prill mentioned? Do you write hours a day, when the mood strikes, set word count goals, chapter at a time? What makes you put pen to paper?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 01:45 AM

Trishhhhhh...yuhoo...it's me hon, Queen Jaw Jaw. How are ya gal? So glad you're here with us.

Tell me, where do the ideas come from?
And besides the obvious (novels) do you submit writing anywhere else?

And more importantly, are you bringing the margaritas Friday night to the hotel in October? Pam wanted me to ask that.

What? You expect me to bring my own? I'm a Queen for Pete's sake!

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 01:46 AM

Hi, Prill and Dotsie!
Prill, I'm so glad you checked the forum, too! Good luck with your deadline.
Dotsie, I have a goal of writing one chapter per week, which means I finish the first draft within 6-8 months. Then I usually do the rewrite within another 4-6 months.
I am the consummate daydreamer. I live in the minds of my characters. I form whole scenes in my mind before I ever approach the keyboard. I do a lot of long distance travel, and I try to take any road but the interstate. I might be traveling at dawn on a back country road, see a ramshackle house with a waft of smoke coming from the chimney, and I have the basis for a house in my book. By the time I sit down to write, the entire chapter comes out within 2-3 hours (the creative part). Then comes the technical part: adding scent, color, and atmosphere.
When I was writing The China Conspiracy, there was a chapter between a Governor-elect who believed that Tibet was better off under Chinese rule than they had been under Tibetan rule, and a reporter who believed just the opposite. I spent weeks researching China's official stance on Tibet, "brainwashed" myself to believe as they did, and wrote the scene only from the Governor-elect's point of view. Then I cleansed myself of that thinking, spent more weeks obtaining information from official U.S. government transcripts going back to the end of World War II, all the way to the present day... and wrote the reporter's rebuttal to everything his interviewee had to say. Then I melded the two together into a heck of a debate. I spent much more time on that one scene than I do on a typical scene.
Posted by: unique

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 03:15 AM

Awesome description of technique, Trish.
Georgia, don't worry, honey, I'll bring your Margaritas if no one else will. Salt or no salt?
And Trish, do you ever talk to yourself on tape to keep your story line and not forget things? or is your daydreaming so intense that you can just pick up where you left off? Is the story vivid enough to remember it all until you get to a point to write it down? Alz Heimer hangs out at my house - good ideas dissipate like smoke on a windy day.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 03:34 AM

Hi, Unique!
I am usually near a PC at some point during the day, and I keep a Word document open to the current chapter. I might pop in and type up parts of sentences or ideas, contained within square brackets so I know it's not actual writing. Then as I write the chapter, I refer to those notes to make sure I've covered everything. I don't use a tape recorder; there are too many voices in my head, to add to them! And when I see something, like the house at dawn described above, it leaves an imprint on my mind so I don't forget the object or the atmosphere surrounding it.
In fact, one night this winter I was driving back from Roanoke late at night, past Appomattax, Virginia... which is so desolate not even my cell phone works. I was the only vehicle on a road for more than an hour and a half. And suddenly, my headlights caught something moving, and the image was surrounded with fog. It scared me to death! Turned out to be a deer, which almost crashed through my windshield, but it left an imprint of a scene that will find its way into a future book... only it won't be a deer, but a person running through the darkness, looking for help...
Posted by: Dianne

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 04:03 AM

Just reading your description gave me chills.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 04:51 AM

Good! Wait until you read it in my next book!
Posted by: Dian

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 09:48 AM

This is already becoming another great discussion. I've been sick (still am), so I'm comforting myself with the boards, and voila! here's our Trish talking about writing mystery and suspense!

My question: Do you visit every place that you write about - How do you get the scene details just so...

How much of your personality is in the main characters?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 05:51 PM

Hi, everyone!

JJ, sorry I missed your post yesterday. Can't understand how I did that! Good to hear from you.

You asked where I get my ideas. I'm a news junkie. My books are all suspense/ thrillers, and I watch reports of crimes that could be committed with the use of computers. Or my imagination sometimes takes off, and I realize what could be done with a computer. (I'm a computer programmer by trade.)

During the 2000 Presidential Election, I was sitting in a restaurant with some clients watching the election officials in Florida holding up cards and debating whether a chad was pregnant, dimpled, hanging, etc. And we got into a discussion about technology and how antiquated our election system is, and how it needed to be automated. But as I sat there, I realized that I was writing a complicated program for these clients to detect Medicare fraud and abuse, and they really had no idea how I did what I did. They only knew if it alerted them of someone "suspicious"... And I realized how easy it would be for me to build in a few lines of code that would rig the election. That's where the idea for "The China Conspiracy" was born. Later, as the book was hitting the bookshelves, an independent study was done of the new election touch-screen technology, headed by Johns Hopkins University. And their findings were that the election software was so security flawed, even a foreign government could infiltrate it and rig our elections. Despite the security risks, a number of states still used this software in the 2004 election. By the way, there are no recounts with this software. The recommendation was to provide a printed "receipt" that would be submitted like we submit the punch cards now, but it was determined to be "too expensive" to implement...

Yes, I do occasionally write elsewhere; not too often, as I'm so busy with my books (and running a few companies) ... but on March 21, several of my poems will be published online at www.sistersinthelord.org/magazine. I hope you'll check them out!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 06:05 PM

Hi, Dian!

Thanks for tuning in. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Yes, I do visit each place I write about. In "The China Conspiracy", there's a scene of an attempted kidnapping at Iron Bridge Park in Chesterfield, VA at midnight. I actually went to the park, scouted out the best place for the kidnapping to take place, took pictures, and recorded every aspect so it was depicted exactly as it truly exists. But I had several scenes at a ski resort near Staunton and Waynesboro, VA, where the resort didn't come off looking too well (a dead body found and a successful kidnapping) so that location was a composite of several ski resorts.

In a real twist, I asked Marc Woolverton of the Manassas City Police Dept to help me locate an area in Northern Virginia where a dead body would throw the government into beaurocratic wrangling over jurisdictions... And he found the perfect place for a body to wash up from the Potomac, and even sent me aerial photographs! When I wrote that scene, I even used street addresses so the reader could find their way to that exact location. It is in Fairfax County, but on federal property, so it would possibly fall into Park Police territory, but the FBI has jurisdiction over homicides on federal property, and the body had a laptop strapped to her that the CIA wanted desperately to get their hands on... So it was the perfect spot! I gave special thanks to Sgt. Woolverton for that information. I depend a lot on police officers, FBI, and CIA employees (past and present) to lend a lot of realism to my books.

You also asked how much of my personality is in the main characters. Very little. In "Kickback", the main character has a lot more guts than I do, and doesn't mind living life on the edge. In "The China Conspiracy", I don't know if I would have had the guts to do what Kit does in getting her son back... and then turning the tables on the bad guys.

In fact, because "Kickback" started with something that really happened to me, I originally wrote the story with a male main character. But when early reviewers read the book, they said it reminded them so much of John Grisham's "The Firm" that I should change the main character to a female. I have mixed feelings about doing that; I don't know why that was necessary, simply because it reminded people of Grisham's early works... But so many people love Sheila that I am writing a sequel about her now. In one scene, Sheila actually drives through David's Bridge and meets Bailey, Pamela June Kimmell's main character in "The Mystery of David's Bridge". We are in the process of collaberating on that scene; many thanks to Pam for allowing me to introduce her fantastic character Bailey, into one of my books!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 07:21 PM

Well you all can't imagine (or maybe you could!!) how thrilled I am that Trish's "Sheila" and my "Bailey" will be meeting in one of Trish's books........I'll be returning the favor - you can count on it!

Trish what amazes me is not only the depth of your characters and their "situations", but how you are able to juggle your business AND your writing time. On top of that you participate in so many other things like organizing Book 'Em and Crime Solvers, etc.......where do you find the energy?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 07:29 PM

Hi, Pam!
Great to hear from you!
I'm sure every one of us finds ourselves in situations where we have to rise "above and beyond" what we thought we were capable of handling, and somehow we just find the strength to do everything.
Right now, I am actively running three corporations, and serving on the board of directors for four more. And writing a book. And I'm in the process of moving. There are some nights I'm convinced I'm going to have a heart attack, but I don't, and each day dawns and I just simply have to get back on the treadmill. "A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do."
... Can't wait for Sheila and Bailey to get together. They are so much alike!
Posted by: Evie

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/02/05 10:57 PM

Trish
Really enjoying all the insight here. I think as a "reader", I can appreciate all the research you pour into your work. Every reader should take some time once in awhile to read about "how" the author wrote the book - where did the idea come from? what kind of research, etc? I know now that I have a greater appreciation for the author when I read a well written novel.

A couple of questions:

1) Does the plot always turn out the way you conceive it at the beginning, or do your characters begin to take you down twists and turns you hadn't originally planned? ie are you ever surprised yourself at the outcome?

and

2) How does one get an autopgraphed copy of your book? (or do I have to wait for Miss Pinkie to pick me up one at Book 'Em?) [Smile]

oh, and a third question - what kind of drugs are you on? [Big Grin] If you can spare any energy, I'll take it!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 12:34 AM

Trish, I've read the book and am lovin' reliving it with you in the forums. I can recall every little tid bit you've mentioned. That proves you're an excellent writer. Sometimes I read books and can't recall whole sections!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 01:12 AM

Hi, Evie and Dotsie!
Thanks so much for tuning in. Dotsie, thanks for the compliment. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and can still recall it! [Smile]
Evie, I always plan the crime first. In fact, I rely so much on law enforcement officials that they know when I start asking questions about crimes and murders and how to commit them, that I'm researching another plot!
I haven't been surprised at how they've turned out, because I decide how the crime will unfold and how it will end up... With The China Conspiracy and Ricochet (the book I'm finishing now) I have a specific timeline. The China Conspiracy's climactic scene had to occur on the day the new governor is being sworn into office. With Ricochet, the climactic scene is the day after Thanksgiving ("Black Friday").
Thanks for asking about an autographed copy. You have two options if you'd like to order it via Internet: if you go to my web site at www.pmterrell.com, you can specify how you'd like it autographed, and it will ship out within 24 hours (I keep some on hand just for this purpose). If you'd like to do a good deed at the same time, go to www.bookemfoundation.org, and order it from their online store, and 40% of the proceeds will go toward increasing literacy. The book will still be autographed.
What kind of drugs am I on? None... I'm high on Life! [Smile] )
Posted by: TVC15

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 01:51 AM

Thank you for being with us Trish, I'm enjoying reading your posts and learning so much.
I was going to ask about the autographed copy but Evie beat me to it.

How long does it take you to finish a novel? And do you do any other types of writing? (i.e. poetry or short stories)

Robin

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 03:00 AM

Thank you, Robin!
So far, it has taken me two years to complete each novel. The first draft has taken 6-8 months, and then another 4-6 months for the rewrite. Once the editors get their hands on it, I rewrite it yet again, but I think I'm getting better... there were a lot fewer rewrites involved in my second book than my first.

I do write short stories, and earned an honorable mention for one of them ("The Storm") which I'd submitted to the Writer's Digest Short Stories Contest. And I also write poetry, and songs. Some of my poetry will be published at www.sistersinthelord.org/magazine the week of March 21. I hope you'll check them out and let me know what you think - good or bad.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 07:29 AM

Trish I am such a mystery buff I read everything and have been writing them as well. I have several finished short stories that are being held hostage by floppy disks I don't know how to retrieve the manuscripts from...I adored Pams character Bailey and am anxiously awaiting a sequel. Now I can look forward to her meeting your character Sheila. I wish I had half your energy and talent...
Posted by: Prill

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 07:46 AM

Wow! I'm learning so much here, Pam. As I told Dotsie today when we had lunch together, I'm thrilled that you're the author this month because I'm beginning to write some fiction of my own. Your specific comments about how you budget your time, how you research your storylines, and how you flesh out your descriptions of settings and characters are very helpful to me, not to mention inspiring.

I know I'll have questions for you as the month goes on.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/03/05 05:49 PM

Hi, Chatty Lady and Prill!
Thanks for dropping in.
Chatty Lady, I agree with you about Pam Kimmell's character, Bailey. I adore her, too. I've been after Pam to hurry and get the sequel out - I can't wait for Bailey's next adventure. I'm very fortunate that Pam is allowing Bailey to make a cameo appearance in Sheila's next adventure. I have a feeling Sheila and Bailey are going to become fast friends.
Prill, ask me anything you want. I've taught writing classes that cover everything from developing characters to setting up scenes to writing a real page-turner. If I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 02:07 AM

I'd like to know the secrets to writing a real page turner. I'm fairly new to writing and could use all the help I can get!
I have mostly been writing personal essays but would like to get more involved with fiction. Before my family kills me for giving away all their secrets [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 02:57 AM

Hi, Robin!
Great question!
There are so many tricks of the trade when writing page turners.
Briefly: thoughts slow things down. Never have a character thinking by himself/ herself when you're writing a page turner. Thoughts are for giving the reader a breather when the action has been going non-stop.
The best thing is action. The old adage "show me, don't tell me." Action propels the reader forward.
I also don't like flashbacks. Stephen King said once that every time he read a flashback he thought of the old movies where the character got a funny look on his/her face and things went fuzzy... Flashbacks bring a reader back in time. You want to keep propelling them forward.
Never write more than three paragraphs of narrative (at a time) if you want a page-turner.
Dialogue propels a story forward; the reader can flip through dialogue very quickly, but it isn't as good as something physically happening.
Stay away from talking heads.
Change locales.
And leave each chapter with something hanging, so the reader has to go to the next chapter. They can't manage to put the book down!
A really good book to see how each chapter leaves you hanging is "What Dreams May Come". Regardless of what you think of the storyline, the author ends each chapter in such a way that you can't stop reading. (The book is very different from the movie, as they all are...)
What propels a story forward is conflict, conflict, conflict. Nobody wants to read about someone where everything is going right. Every single thing they try to do has to be like climbing a mountain. Especially with suspense. The noose has to keep tightening until you, the reader, feel so much suspense you can barely breathe.
A great movie to watch for how they work with suspense is "Out of Time" with Denzel Washington. I buy movies (only DVD) and study them. The reason I buy only DVD's (as opposed to tapes) is the DVDs come with the Director's comments and background info, which I've found incredible for a writer, especially if you would someday like for your book to be made into a movie.
Hope this helps!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 06:52 PM

Yes, that helped immensely...Thank you so much!

Another question...When you start out writing, do you always know where your story will end up or do you surprise yourself?
I guess what I'm really asking is, do you make an outline and stick to it or do you go with the flow? I have trouble making outlines.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 07:26 PM

Hi, Robin!
Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad to be of help.
I personally do not write an outline, but I do have an idea of where I need to be at various points in my manuscript.

For example, with The China Conspiracy, I started with the plotline. I was shooting for approximately 40 chapters (there are 43). I knew one problem with longer books is the middle seems to drag. So I set a goal of having what could in itself be a climactic scene in the middle of the book; then the book veers into a different, unexpected course of events. Because it dealt with a new Virginia governor, I knew the final, climactic scene had to occur as the governor was being sworn in - January 20. That set the stage for when the events happened. So I developed a timeline.

So, my anwer is, I don't actually do a complete outline, because that takes the spontaneity out of the characters (for me). But I did have a good idea of where I wanted to be at different parts of the book.

By the way, speaking of timelines, if you want a real page turner, have the events happen in as short a time as possible. Did you ever see the movie "Three Days of the Condor" (starring Robert Redford, at the height of his box office fame). It was actually based on a book called "Six Days of the Condor". The director thought it would turn things up a notch if the action occurred in half the time - and he was right.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 10:04 PM

Hi, everybody!
Just wanted to drop in and let you know I'll be going out of town this afternoon (Friday) but I'll be back on the forum and answering your questions on Sunday. I hope you all have a terrific weekend, and I look forward to any more questions you might have!
Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/04/05 10:44 PM

Have fun, be careful, travelling mercies, *see* you when you get back. [Wink]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/06/05 06:37 PM

Thanks, Unique!
It was a whirlwind trip but very enjoyable. What a difference a couple of hundred miles can make... from folks in shorts and t-shirts to snow. I see the forum has been quiet. I hope everyone has had an enjoyable and relaxing weekend.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/07/05 08:24 AM

Trish, I'm playing "catch up" with your comments, having jumped in late in the game. You've given some wonderful examples of how you build suspense, set a scene, and develop a character. You mentioned "Building Believable Characters" (I think that was the name of it) as a book you'd recommend. What other books would you recommend to a fiction author who wants to write suspense?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/07/05 02:19 AM

Hi, Vicki!
Thanks for dropping by. I have a long list of books I recommend for mystery/ suspense authors...

Anything by James Frey; he wrote "The Key", "How to Write a Damn Good Novel", and "How to Write a Damn Good Mystery";
"Writing the Thriller" by T. MacDonald Skillman; this explores the various subgenres - technothrillers, legal thrillers, medical thrillers, cozies, etc;
Something in addition to "Building Believable Characters" that I can't live without is the Writer's Digest Flip Dictionary; when you just can't remember that specific word, or you need to know the parts of something, like a gun...
Generic books I think are invaluable for anyone trying to get published are "The Publishing Game" books - How To Find an Agent, How to Publish a Book, and How to Have a Best Seller. At the end of each subtitle is the phrase "is less than 30 days" -- forget that, but they still have great advice.
And of course, I always keep a baby name book close by;
And believe it or not, I use Linda Goodman's Sun Signs, Moon Signs, or Love Signs. I don't really believe in astrology but they are terrific at building personalities in your characters, especially when you have two people in conflict, like a married couple or boss/subordinate, siblings, etc. Lots of great ideas in those books!
I hope this helps... I have literally about 100 books just used for reference here in my office, but those are the main ones I'd recommend.
Posted by: Dian

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/07/05 06:57 AM

I'd add David Morrell's book "Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing" Fantastic!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/07/05 05:38 PM

Great suggestion, Dian! In fact, I was fortunate enough to purchase an autographed copy of this book at last year's Book 'Em event. I love it, too. It is easy for writers to become discouraged when doing the book tour... we think of the best selling authors and the lines out the door, when very few authors get that kind of a reception. David Morrell's book gave me some great laughs, especially reading about the book store employees who drew straws to see who would have to buy his book, because they felt sorry for him sitting there all alone... and the entire tour where all of his books had been destroyed by a flood and never made it to the stores... It gives us all the hope that even though we may not be household names now, things can change mighty fast!
He also has some great information about taking books and making them into movies, and the entire process involved in that.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/07/05 11:09 PM

trish, I want to hear more about the son in the story. How did you come up with his plight as the plot thickened? I always found myself feeling sorry for him.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 01:10 AM

Hi, Dotsie!

Thanks for dropping in and asking about Tim.
I saw Kit as a "reluctant hero", someone who really preferred not to get involved unless she absolutely had no other choice. And the one way to get a woman involved in ANYTHING is to threaten her child. That's how Tim became embroiled in the story.
I enlisted the aid of a 16-year-old boy, the son of some book store owners, to help me with Tim. I'd written several chapters involving Tim and gave them to Robert to tell me if that was truly how a 16-year-old boy would react to a kidnapping, the media frenzy, and all that was happening with his parents. Robert gave me some great information, which I incorporated into the book. It really helped round out Tim's character.
I'm told that Tim evolved more than any of the other characters... he went from being very distant from his parents and frightened because of his ordeal, to rising to the challenge and helping to outwit the kidnappers.
I've been asked more than once to write an entire book from Tim's point of view. I might just do that some day.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 03:15 AM

Trish, I just ordered my book and left you a message on your phone that sounded like a Southerner on drugs...I'm sorry but I was in a hurry and wanted to make sure I got an autographed copy sent to me. Zat possible?

Hugs, and I can't wait to read it!

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 04:22 AM

Hiya, JJ!
Of course! Anything is possible for you, dear! Just finished autographing it and it will be in the mail to you Tuesday morning. Thanks for ordering it!
I absolutely LOVE your accent. Can't wait for the four of us gals (and whoever else wants to join us!) to get together at Book 'Em. We're going to have a blast!
Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 05:38 AM

huh...what accent?

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 05:41 AM

pssst Trish - JJ, doesn't think she has an accent, the rest of US talk funny - just play along, OK [Wink] [Wink] [Razz]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 06:20 PM

Oops. Mum's the word.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/09/05 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pmterrell:
Hi, Dotsie!

And the one way to get a woman involved in ANYTHING is to threaten her child. That's how Tim became embroiled in the story.
I enlisted the aid of a 16-year-old boy, the son of some book store owners, to help me with Tim. I'd written several chapters involving Tim and gave them to Robert to tell me if that was truly how a 16-year-old boy would react to a kidnapping, the media frenzy, and all that was happening with his parents. Robert gave me some great information, which I incorporated into the book. It really helped round out Tim's character.

I am so impressed with the type of research you do for your books. Robert allowed you to do wonderful job of presenting a teen's perspective. I thought you were right on the mark with his character.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/08/05 10:37 PM

Thank you, Dotsie! I really have been fortunate, being able to call upon so many people with varying expertise. When I wrote the scene of Kit being arrested and brought through the jail, I even had the good fortune to work with two police officers (one is now Assistant Chief of Police) who took me through the entire booking process. So the inside of the jail is exactly as it really is in real life...
Posted by: Julie

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/09/05 09:32 AM

Hi! I have a different question... about talking with publishers...I've been submitting picture book manuscripts and getting past the slush pile -yesterday I got a long, encouraging, personal letter from a publisher with lots of good comments about my writing and a couple of specific reasons why it didn't quite "make it". Should I take that as an invitation to revise the manuscript and send it again? (She didn't return my manuscript - I wondered why?) Also, the picture book market here is very small - is it healthier over there?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/09/05 05:54 PM

Hi, Speakermom and Julie!
Great questions.
Speakermom, the difference between science fiction and fantasy, in a nutshell: science fiction is based in part on science. Literally. If you study Isaac Asimov's books (he's considered the father of science fiction) much of it is based on technology and futuristic events.
Fantasy, on the other hand, can involve no technology whatsoever and be based in any time period. "Lord of the Rings", for example, reminds me of the middle ages and is not futuristic.
There are other themes as well... science fiction often involves robots, futuristic modes of transportation, etc. (i.e., Star Wars)

Julie: congratulations on receiving a personal letter from the publisher. That almost never happens. The fact that she took the time to do that means your writing is very good. I would weigh each of her suggestions, and if you agree with them, revise it and definitely send it to her again, with a cover letter thanking her for the suggestions and stating that you made those revisions. It couldn't hurt!
As to why she didn't return the manuscript... did you send her a self addressed, stamped envelope?
I agree that the picture book market is very small. I don't know how it compares between Australia and the U.S.

Are there any readers out there who have some suggestions for Julie regarding the picture book market?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/10/05 08:07 AM

Just a clarification on the above: when I said fantasy "can" involve no technology, the correct word should have been "might" involve no technology...

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/09/05 09:44 PM

Julie, congrats. Keep on trucking girlfriend. You're almost there.

Trish, do you have an agent? If so, how did you acquire him/her?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/09/05 11:38 PM

Hi, Dotsie and Speakermom!
Yes, I do have an agent. I submitted queries to both agents and publishers simultaneously, deciding to go with whoever wanted me first! The publisher came through first, but by the time I'd had my second book published, I attracted an agent for movie rights, foreign rights, etc. The best way to attract an agent (in my opinion) is to use the Writer's Market books and carefully select people who work with your particular genre. Once you have one book published, it becomes a "numbers game"; the first thing another publisher or an agent will ask is, "how many books have you sold?"
Speakermom, good advice. I would never send a query or manuscript to one publisher at a time. It could take decades to find one at that rate. I sent out about 20 at a time, and highly recommend it!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/10/05 10:59 PM

Hi, speakermom:
Congratulations on getting an agent to call you. It sounds like you are well on your way! Many people try for years to get that phone call.

I would ask:
(a) what genre they generally represent;
(b) names of some authors they currently represent within your genre;
(c) publishing houses they like to work with (i.e., some prefer working with Random House, Doubleday, etc... It helps if the agent has personal relationships with some of the big NY houses);
(d) is the agent physically located near the publishers? An agent doesn't need to live/ work in NY to work with the NY publishers, but it sure helps when they can meet for coffee or lunch...
(e) does the agent specialize in particular rights - such as movie, mass paperback, foreign, etc?
(f) ask to see a copy of their contract;
(g) research the fees the agent charges vs those that are standard in the industry;
(h) don't ever go with an agent or publisher who charges to read your work;
(i) long how in business, and then research the Better Business Bureau and writer's resources to make sure they don't have complaints against them; when you're working through an agent, the checks go to them, not to you, so they have to have a good reputation, especially financially;
(j) what is their accessibility? You don't want to be bothering the agent with calls all of the time, but when you do need to talk to him/her, they should be accessible. I know of several agents with answering machines who sit right there at their desk and listen to people leaving messages and then decide whether or not to call them back... It's much better when a live person answers the phone.
(k) what did the agent do before he/she was an agent? Some agents worked for big publishing houses; those are likely to have friends in those houses they can easily call upon...

Those are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. If anyone else has any suggestions, please add them!

Good luck, speakermom!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 08:18 AM

Trish, I was fortunate enough to find an agent and it was sheer determination that allowed it. I used Herman's book, The Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents. It is my most dog-eared, written in, and highlighted book. He offers the following information for agents:
Name
Born
Education'career History
Hobbies/personal interests
Areas most interested in agenting
Areas not interested in agenting
If not agenting, what might you be doing
Best way to initiate contact
Client representation
Comminssion structure
Nimber of titles sold last year
Rejection rate
Common mistakes authors make
Description of the client from hell
Description of the dream client
How did you become an agent
Why did you become an agent
How would you describe what you do for a living
What can writers do to enhance thier chances of getting you as their agent
What do you think about editors
What do you think about publishers
Comments
Representative titles

You can learn so much by reading this book cover to cover and get a real feel for agents that you may click with. That's key.

I finally found my agent through Writers Digest. They had an article that listed 25 agents looking for new talent. The funny thing is that I had crossed out my agent in Herman's book, but when I read about her in the magazine I decided to give it a try. She was accepting online queries so I went for it. I heard back within a half hour.

Brenda, you may want to ask some of the questions I listed above. Here are a few more:

-Is it a per project representation?
-What is their commission rate?
-Is there a time limit to representation?
-What about termination by you or the agent if the relationship doesn't work?

You want an established agent who has sold books in your field. You also want someone who is equally as passionate about your work.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 08:18 AM

Trish, do you belong to any writing associations? What writing conferences do you attend?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/11/05 09:05 PM

Trish,
Are your characters based on real people or are they completely fictional?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 12:14 AM

Hi, Dotsie and TVC15!
Dotsie, that is a terrific suggestion. Glad you made that post! I know we all have our fingers crossed for Speakermom.
I do belong to Sisters in Crime. I would like to join some more.
Which writing conferences do you attend, Dotsie? Which would you recommend?

TVC15:
My characters are composites. Sometimes I observe a complete stranger's habits and they make it into my book. Could be something as simple as wearing their glasses on their forehead, or as complex as the baggage they carry around from past relationships.
In "Kickback", I did model Aunt Jo's home after my own aunt's home in central Tennessee. In the sequel to Kickback, I got the inspiration for Sheila's roots from my father's family...
I do add in real names to make the stories more believable, such as a politician, anchor, or celebrity, but never as a main character and never when I am fictionalizing a scene with them.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 02:54 AM

GOOD LUCK BRENDA!

Trish I didn't realize (at least I don't think I did...LOL) that you were a member of Sisters In Crime.....me too - the Internet Chapter.

If I ever decide to go with another agent, this information is VERY useful - thanks to you AND Dotsie for the great lists of questions to ask. I had no idea what I was doing when I signed with my former agent - it rapidly became obvious SHE didn't know what SHE was doing either!! We made a great team (HAHA). [Eek!] [Confused]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 04:40 AM

Way to GO!!Goodluck&GodSpeed!!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/12/05 06:32 PM

Speakermom, that sounds like you "passed" the telephone interview with flying colors. Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Hi, Pam! Yes, I've been a member of Sisters in Crime for a few years now. I am the ad coordinator; we did an annual group ad for a couple of years in Publisher's Weekly, but didn't do a group ad this year... Once I get moved, I would like to join a NC chapter. Anybody out there a member of SinC near Lumberton?
Pam, how does the internet chapter work?
I am speaking at a writer's workshop today... Nine authors are speaking; mine is one of the first. I may sit in on some of the other author's talks. There seems to be a lot on publishing, how to get published, etc. I'll pass on any words of wisdom I find today!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/13/05 09:45 PM

Patricia, I can't wait to hear about your presentation.

I belong to National Association Of Women Writers and the international Women's Writing Guild.

I attended a NAWW conference held in Texas a couple years ago. I've found the women in that association to be extremely warm and supportive.

I've also attended IWWG's Meet The Agents in NY. There were about seven NY agents present with over a hundred women writers. The agents introduced themselves and shared the type of work they represent and a few helpful hints about querying them. After all had spoken there was a huge cattle call. The writers jumped and moved quickly to speak with the agent of choice. Writers pitched books and it is said that some find representation at these meetings.

I understand IWWG has a wonderful week long event in upsate NY in early summer, but Ive never attended. Some day...

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/14/05 06:19 PM

Hi, Dotsie!
Thanks so much for that information. I will look into both of those organizations. I was also reading in Sisters in Crime's latest newsletter, about the differences between Malice Domestic and Bouchercon. I would like to attend both of those next year.
Dotsie, I handed out a lot of the bookmarks you sent me, at the writer's conference on Saturday. I enjoyed myself immensely. It was standing room only in my talk. There was one publisher there, and a lot of other writers. It was a great way to spend the day!
And I received information this weekend that my home in VA has another contract on it (the last one fell through) so I will soon be joining my husband in NC full-time. It was a great weekend all the way around!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/14/05 09:23 PM

Congratulations, Speakermom!
Please let us know how everything goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed and the prayers going for you!
Exciting things are in store for you, I can tell! Good job!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/14/05 09:28 PM

sounds like good news all around.

Speaker, isn't it amazing how we can crank out the work when there's a deadline? Congrats on getting it done.

Patricia, did you ever think your work would lend itself so intensely to your writing? At what point in your life did you choose to write and incorporate all your prior knowledge about computers and programming?

I'm amazed at how one can look back at midlife and put the pieces together that have led to new paths on their journey.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/14/05 09:41 PM

Trish,
I started your book yesterday and I'm on Chapter 11. This book is good. REALLY, REALLY, good! I'm worried about Tim. I like Carter, and of course, love Kit. I never saw the briefcase thing coming. Whoa nelly!

It WILL be going with me to the bathroom today at work so I can get in some more reading time....what? Oh yeah, like you all don't do that...uh huh...at least I admit it!

Hahahaha....

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/15/05 12:50 AM

Oh no honey child...just my boss! The schmuck...I mean this man wants me to work 8 hours...like that isn't bad enough, he wants me to do it every single day. I ain't lyin' either. Can you believe some people? geesih...

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/15/05 05:02 AM

Girls I agree that Trish's "The China Conspiracy" is a dynamite book - but so is her other one "Kickback"....you should get that one next. Can't WAIT for "Ricochet" to come out...hurry up and get writing Trish! [Eek!] [Razz]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/15/05 06:01 PM

Hi, everybody!
Thanks for the emails.

JJ, glad you're liking the book. If it's made into a movie, who do you see playing the roles of Kit and Carter? I'm always curious.

Since you read your books in the tiolet, I don't guess you have a problem with folks wanting to borrow them afterward.

Dotsie, it IS amazing how everything fell into place. I'd had 4 technical books published early in my computer career, but had never considered combining a suspense/thriller with programmers until I was asked in real life to hide a series of kickbacks for a client through computer programming. I contacted the FBI and turned over evidence. As the years passed by, I began to wonder what would have happened if the FBI hadn't believed me or if the client had come after me, if my life had been threatened, etc. So that became the basis for "Kickback", about a programmer who is trying to gather evidence and the closer she gets to it, the closer the bad guys get to her.

Who ever knew it would start a series of techno-thrillers?

JJ, when you finish reading, I'll fill you in on some real life scenarios that make my book closer to fact than fiction!

Drake Valley Press (who publishes my books) is putting out another techno-thriller by a new author named Maureen Robb. Her book is due out the end of April; it's called Patterns in Silicon. It's about a murder in Silicon Valley. If you have ever wondered about Silicon Valley, (which is a world unto itself!) you should read her book. I read the manuscript, and it's a real page turner.

Thanks for the nice words, Pam. [Smile] ) I had hoped to get Ricochet finalized so it could be on sale at Book 'Em this October. Don't know if I'll be able to meet the new deadlines, with the move to NC looming. Two moves, actually, because our house will not be complete until mid-summer. I will be so relieved to actually move in. I hope to stay there until I'm moved to assisted living!

In the meantime... I am looking for YOUR next book, Ms. Kimmell! Can't wait to see what Bailey gets into next!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/16/05 04:52 AM

Doesn't sound "typical" or "normal" to me that's for sure...you spent a great deal of time talking with this person before she was supposedly going to pitch your book at the committee and NOW she's calling you a "hard sell" ?? Unless the subject of your prior publishing history never came up in discussion before, this just sounds weird to me!

Hang in there....there are other fish in the sea. Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/16/05 05:59 PM

Hi, Speakermom:

I agree with Pam's post. It sounds like she doesn't know what she's doing. I don't care what business you're in - publishing or otherwise - that is bad business to jerk you around like that. I sent you a private message with my agent's name... let me know what he says. At least it will give you a basis for comparison.

At Book 'Em this year in Waynesboro, VA (www.bookemfoundation.org) we are putting together a panel discussion of publishers and agents, called "How to Find a Publisher or Agent" with lots of good tips on attracting and retaining representation. I hope you'll be able to make it. The event is entirely free; all talks are free. If you buy a book (autographed by the dozens of authors that will be there) a portion of the proceeds goes to literac campaigns.

That's my sales pitch for the day. [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/16/05 06:01 PM

That should have been literacy campaigns.
Obviously, I need to participate in one.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/17/05 08:19 AM

hahaha....good one Trish. I've been giving your question about who should play the actors in China Conspiracy some thought. Carter, I'm thinking Dinsel Washington. Hunk-a Hunk-a....

And Kit - hmm...that one's harder. I don't see her as a blonde but I don't see her as my fav who is Sandra Bullock either. What about Ashley Judd?

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/17/05 02:36 AM

speaker, have you signed anything yet? I ask this because I spent over 6 months working with an agent (never signed anything). I mer her and all. I got excellent advice. I wrote my proposal to suit her. She planned on sending it to publishers before her medical leave, but was overworked and couldn't get to it. Then she went on medical leave, which turned out to be more of a permanent leave. She turned her work over to her husband (the head of the agency) and he didn't click with my project. Huh?

I found this to be totally unfair. What man would click with this project? It's all about women for heaven's sake.

There were some unbelievable emails and phone conversations, but guess what? He was the boss. I remained professional and diplomatic throughout, which wasn't easy. I lost out. I still can't believe it. This is a highly reputable NY agency. Be careful about doing too much before you sign.

I am fortunate to have signed with another agent. I think she's perfect for my project.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/17/05 05:43 PM

This whole thing about agents reminds me of the agent who contacted me, absolutely thrilled with my query letter and sample chapter, who convinced me that my book was destined to be a best seller.
Then I sent her my entire manuscript and waited for six long months while I cooled my heels... Finally, I received a letter that was written as though she had a split personality; she "hated" (her word, not mine) my book and found it totally unrealistic... Her biggest complaint was the main character, a programmer, created a web page. She said "everyone knows that a PERSON can not create a web page; it takes a CORPORATION to do that!"
There are just some situations that are so bizarre that I know in those moments my books are destined for greatness, because someday I will tell this story on Oprah!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/17/05 05:46 PM

JJ, when I wrote The China Conspiracy, I actually had Richard Gere in mind (though I wouldn't complain if Denzel got the part!)... and Susan Sarandon as Kit. But I wasn't sure if they would have the right chemistry; now I see where they just did a movie together, though I haven't seen it yet. It wasn't shown at the theatres around here... I think it's "Shall We Dance?"

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 08:16 AM

Susan is too old to play the part of a Mom with a teen...plus she lost points with me when she and Goldie Hawn played in that awful movie, The Banger Sisters. I thought they both cheapened themselves in that film. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen....

Now Richard Gere? I want to have his children.

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 08:40 AM

Oh, my claim to fame. Denzel stayed directly across the street from us on vacation. Yup. We met him and chatted in the street. Saw him come and go all week.

The funny thing is I rarely watch movies so I didn't know who the heck he was. It wasn't until we got home and I did a little research. WOW!

Another funny part is the tacky people staying next to us went out with their camera, tooks tons of pictures, asked him to hold their baby for a picture, and went absolutely crazy over him. We, of course, were much more reserved in our approach. [Razz]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/17/05 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:

Now Richard Gere? I want to have his children.

JJ

at this stage in my life - I dont' want to have anybody's children, my own are enough thank you very much [Razz] [Razz]

...but.....I can appreciate "eye candy" [Big Grin]

sigh...I wish my copy of Trish's book would hurry up and arrive - I'm dying to dig into it!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 12:15 AM

Well...I CAN'T have anyone's children...but I use that line to express my desire to use the man like a lollypop....what? Oh sure, like you haven't ever thought of it. Puleaseee...

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 01:59 AM

Hi, everybody!
Dotsie, it's probably a good thing that you didn't know who Denzel was when you met him. It was probably very refreshing for him to be treated just like everybody else.
Evie, I'm sorry your book is taking so long! Do you live in Canada?
JJ, what can I say... [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 03:52 AM

Jaw Jaw, you givin' me ideas, girl. You cut that out!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 04:03 AM

Trish - yup, like it says in the "From" part of the posts, I live in Canada. [Razz] [Razz]
Sometimes the mail is surprising quick, and other times..........oh well, patience [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 05:18 AM

Well JJ called me at home last night and we had quite a chat and laughed our silly selves to death. Believe me she would use Richard Gere as candy and even though there are no more babies in my future, hell I'd still go through the motions with this hunk! HEY, I'm not dead yet! He and Susan Sarandon were great in Shall We Dance and one thing about her she is ageless and looks great. I am a Goldie Hawn fan and like whatever she does even the not so good movies. Hey JJ, lets take turns with Richard and lest we not forget to include Smilinize or she'll whine all day long. We love you Smile... [Razz]
Posted by: smilinize

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 06:16 AM

You bet I would be whining. I love Richard Gere. He's a hunk and a half!! You girls can't have him all to yourself. (Don't tell Dan I said that-- [Smile]
Susan Sarandon looks pretty good, but with a bunch of boomers in the picture, she'll just have to stick with her young hubby.
smile

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/18/05 06:32 PM

Well, JJ, looks like you've got some competition on your hands.
Thanks for stating the obvious, Evie. [Smile] I hope the book gets to you soon.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/19/05 07:33 PM

Trish,
If your book is made into a movie, would you want to write the screenplay?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/19/05 07:54 PM

I have a question for you Trish. If I sent the check to your publisher in MS, do they send the book to you to autograph and then you send the book to me? How does that work? I'm trying to imagine the logistics of this. (Like how CompuNerdie worked on Chatty's computer long distance) I'm a Capricorn, humor me....( [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/20/05 02:34 AM

Hi, TVC15 and Unique!
Thanks for dropping in.

TVC15, I would like to write the screenplay IF the producers thought I would do a good job. I wouldn't want the movie to suffer because I am a beginner at screenplays; full-length novels are my forte. But I'm a quick learner...

Unique, the publisher sends me a few books that I keep here in case someone requests an autographed copy. When they receive the order, they contact me via email with the information, I sign the book and pop it in the mail, and submit info to them on postage.

When did you send your order to MS? They have not contacted me yet to tell me they've received it. Should I follow up?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/20/05 03:39 AM

Nope. Don't follow up yet. I'm sure it takes a few days to get to MS. I was just wondering as I addressed the envelope. I just have the kind of mind that ponders things like that. I wondered how it works is all. : )

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/20/05 06:59 AM

Unique not hard to understand. Let me splain as Ricki Ricardo (Desi Arnez) might say! I called into MSN and when they could not fix the problem, 2 men tried for about 11 hours on the phone in two days. The last man said "oh, you must have spyware etc and our Windows Anti Spyware Security peole must take over now." I called them and the first guy tried some hocus pocus and said this proceedure takes an hour to download and you'll need to call back tomorrow and tell them to try this and that. I called the next day only to get some new man who didn't seem to know his butt from a hole in the ground. He assured me someone would call me back in 5 to 7 days. DAH! I had already been down a week. I waited and a couple days later Sara called me and we began. She would tell me exactly what to do and I would do it and tell her the results. We tried everything you could imagine and when we both were exhausted and it was time for her to go home she promised to call me the next day and work until she was satisfied all the damage was fixed and I was better than I was before and God bless her she did exactly what she said she would do. Then she gave me a spyware program which we installed on my machine with one I already use and it automatically cleans my ststem every day. She is a young lady and much smarter for her years than anyone I know. We are so lucky she has joined us and is willing to help when we have a problem. I can't say enough good about her and am sending her a special gift because no matter what they pay her it isn't enough..... [Razz]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/20/05 04:16 PM

Hear! Hear! I love the talented ones who will take the time to explain and walk us through. They are a mercy for us techno-nots!!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/21/05 05:26 AM

Okay, Unique! I'll sit tight and have your book ready to sign when DVP calls or emails me with your order. [Smile]

Meanwhile, DVP has added a lot of my information to their web site on writing: character development, plotting, editing, etc. The info is from writer's workshops that I conduct. Let me know what you think of it, or if there's anything I should add: http://drakevalleypress.com/workshops

Dotsie, I'm going to add the books you recommended the other day, too. [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/21/05 03:45 PM

Boomer Girls make sure you check out the interview AND some of Trish's poetry in the latest issue of "Sisters In The Lord". I enjoyed your poems Trish...you are truly a lady of MANY talents.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/21/05 07:47 PM

Thanks Pam!
Trish your poems are awesome and your interveiw was so interesting to read!

I was wondering if you branched out with your writing, and now I know. I mostly write short stories and essays but every now and then a poem comes to me and demands to be written.
Is this how it is for you too?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/22/05 06:41 PM

Thanks for the nice words, TVC15 and Pam!

I prefer to write full-length suspense/ thrillers, though occasionally I'll enter a short story in a writing contest or write some poetry. When I do write poems, they seem to come to me all at once and they're written within a matter of minutes. I still do the old-fashioned rhyming kind...

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/23/05 02:38 AM

So Trish - why not give us a "hint" about your plotline for "Ricochet".....and when will it be published?? I know you are working on it now, but have you set yourself a goal for completion?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/23/05 03:06 AM

Hi, Pam!
Thanks for asking about "Ricochet"! It's the sequel to "Kickback". In "Kickback", you find out that Sheila's parents have died, presumably of an accident. But in "Ricochet" Sheila finds out her parents were murdered. She is attending the FBI Academy, and as she pursues the real story behind her parents' deaths, it takes her face to face with Middle Eastern terrorism. I actually started the book before 9/11; because of the events of 9/11, I changed some things so it wouldn't hit so close to home... Then the plot I'd changed it to came true! So I rewrote it again! I'd hoped to have it finished earlier this year for an October release, but with my move to NC, it put me behind. If I get it done before the end of this year, I'm told it can be out in time for Book 'Em 2006.
So what about you? When will I hear the latest about Bailey?
- Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/23/05 05:33 PM

"Ricochet" sounds exciting! With some luck, you and I will both have new books at the 2006 Book 'Em....somehow I think you are a lot further along with "Ricochet" than I am with my second book. I seem to be spending more time trying to find ways to promote myself on a shoestring (or should I say ZERO budget!!) than writing. Thankfully there are a lot of resources around to help with that......

How long will it take Drake Valley Publishing to actually have your book in print after they have received your completed manuscript? And how about your cover design? Any ideas?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/24/05 08:38 AM

Hi, Pam!
I'm counting on us both having our new books at the 2006 Book 'Em!
I understand completely about the self-promotion. It doesn't matter how large your publisher is, it is still up to the author to promote their own books. Selling the books is a full-time job in itself, as you well know!
I don't know how long it will take for DVP to release "Ricochet" after I submit it. "The China Conspiracy" was almost a year in production, I think... Haven't thought much about a cover design, yet, though the first chapter begins with an explosion, so that would make an interesting cover...

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/25/05 08:18 AM

Hi, folks! Just wanted you all to know that I'm headed out of town, so it will be Sunday before I can check this forum again. I've enjoyed chatting with you all. Have a great weekend,
Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/24/05 09:21 PM

Happy Easter. See you next week.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/28/05 01:48 AM

Trish,

Loved the poetry and interview at SIL - such an intriguing life, no wonder you have good fodder for books [Smile]

I got my copy of The China Conspiracy this week, and am knee deep into it now. You weave a good story:)

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/28/05 06:14 PM

Hi, Evie,

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you got The China Conspiracy. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Well, this week I am winding down as Featured Author. I've enjoyed chatting with all the wonderful folks who have dropped in. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter, and I hope that each day is better for you than the day before!

Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/28/05 10:10 PM

Trish, will your future books include women our age?

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/29/05 12:34 AM

Hi, Dotsie!
Thanks for dropping in... Yes, I enjoy writing about strong women and I believe that women our age have the best of all worlds: we're no longer making the mistakes of our youth, we're beautiful and intelligent and wise to the ways of the world... So the books I have planned (3 to be released within the next 5 years) will all feature a main character, a woman, who is in our age range.
Interesting question. Why do you ask? [Smile]

Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/29/05 12:55 AM

You will have 3 more books to be released within the next 5 years? And just when do you sleep? Holy Moly! You are something else Trish. I wish I could talk about where I am right now without giving it away! hahahah....This book is great!

I can't wait to read the next one. I've had to put some manuals (ewwww) in front of it so I'm just getting to read a bit here and there. That sucks.

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/30/05 04:46 PM

Trish, before I let this month get totally away from me, I wanted to pop on this morning and thank you for all the WONDERFUL information and of course insight you have provided while you've been the Featured Author here on Boomer! Your depth of experience in a number of areas in the writing arena certainly shows!

I look forward to "Ricochet" and everything else you publish in your writing career....I also hope that once you get settled in NC you will have time in your busy schedule to visit us here at BWS to keep us posted on your various adventures!

Thanks to Dotsie too for inviting you to come share with us this month - I've learned a lot.

Boomer Hugs! [Wink]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/30/05 05:46 PM

Trish, I enjoy reading books about my peers and teens. Tim was such a fun character to meet. You portrayed him as a typical teen so well.

Books for and about boomer women are so hot. I think it's becasue all of us are growing up and the chick lit doesn't do it anymore. We're beyond that.

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/30/05 06:01 PM

Trish, I've stayed up way too late the past two nights so I could finish "China Conspiracy" [Smile] Simply couldn't put it down until my eyes gave way!

Fantastic read, excellent story - thoroughly enjoyed it and the characters you created and looking forward to reading more of your work.

Your story is believable, and kind of spooky because you could definitely see it being real. I love that in Kit you created a smart AND strong woman. And very brave - if it was me in her shoes, I'm sure I'd have had the screaming meemee's from the get go!

Pam and Trish - can't wait until Bailey and Kit get together - hurry up and write will ya? [Razz] [Razz]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/30/05 06:03 PM

Very well said, Dotsie!

I just watched "Something's Gotta Give" this week, and I just absolutely loved Diane Keeton. However, I thought she should have married the young doctor and not Jack Nicholson! [Smile]

JJ and Pam, thanks for the wonderful words. I have enjoyed this forum so much. I feel like I've made some great friends. Can't wait to see you all at Book 'Em! We'll be dangerous!

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/30/05 07:21 PM

As a mystery writer I love being "DANGEROUS" !!! I expect Waynesboro will wonder what happened to it when the Boomers descend in force in October!

Tee Hee

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/31/05 06:03 PM

Trish, I've got to tell you...in the last couple of days I've been able to devote some reading time to CC...OMG...did she ever give YOU KNOW WHO the boot? I LOVED IT! And now I'm at the point where I want to kill the neighbor (what a gossip monger!) and somehow make TIM tell all. I can't wait till he opens up. He will, right? They're on the way to grandmaw's house...wait a minute...that sounds familiar....over the river and through the woodsssss to grandmother's house we goooooo....Ahem...anyway, I hope to finish it in the next couple of days. I loved, absolutely LOVED the office scene where she took everything to his office...what a woman! Oh I could go on and on...wait, I have. eeek!

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/31/05 06:31 PM

Hi, everybody!
JJ, I got such a kick out of your post. I'm not tellin' anything... [Smile] ) Let me know when you finish it, if you think everything turns out as you wanted it to! When they get to grandma's house, things really begin to happen!

Speakermom, I will check out your post on the Midwest Book Festival. I am definitely interested. JJ and Pam, are you two in it with me?

Pam, I hear ya about living dangerously. I admire women who have the guts to follow their hearts and instinct. Which reminds me of this story about my great-grandmother. She was not five feet tall and didn't weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. They lived in a house at least a mile from their nearest neighbor. One night she was there all alone when she heard someone trying to break in. This was before the days of telephones, and if she'd screamed her head off, no one but the intruder would have heard her. So she jumped out of bed and started yelling, "Paul! John! Jimmy! Get your guns! There's some lowdown varmit trying to get in this house!" She didn't hear anything else the rest of the night (though I'm sure she didn't get any sleep) and the next day she learned that the neighbor closest to her had been robbed during the night. I betcha after that, she bought herself a shotgun. [Smile]
Well, y'all take care,

Trish

Re: The China Conspiracy - 03/31/05 07:15 PM

What a GREAT story about a strong (and inventive) woman! No wonder you can craft a great mystery/thriller with those genes you have girl!

I read the post on the Midwest Book Festival. I'd love to be able to go to that but with Book 'Em in October AND our vacation plans PROBABLY occurring in September (to Asheville) I don't think I can make it Trish!!! Would love to be there with you though.

[Frown] [Smile]

Re: The China Conspiracy - 04/01/05 12:17 AM

Trish,
I'm about to slip off here at work (late lunch) and read some more. If this books takes off any more than it already has, I'll have to take vacation from work so I can finish it. Yeeee gads!

I'll see if I can find the Midwest Book Festival post. I don't recall reading about it. But hey, I've probably slept since then....

JJ

Re: The China Conspiracy - 04/02/05 11:56 PM

Pam, I just checked out your web site and Bailey's store. I absolutely LOVE it. I hope you'll bring some of those items to Book 'Em. I especially like the tote bag with the cover from "The Mystery of David's Bridge". How's it coming with the sequel?

JJ, drop me a line when you finish the book and let me know if you like it.

Have a great weekend,

Trish