The Notebook!

Posted by: Dotsie

The Notebook! - 10/11/04 03:43 PM

The next read for the book club will be Tha Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks. An email will be sent as soon as Michelle gets the book placed on the website.

I hope you'll read along with us if you haven't already read the book. Please join the discussion if you've read the book or seen the movie.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: The Notebook! - 10/12/04 12:02 AM

I read the book quite a long time ago. When it first came out. I loved it. I may join in on the comments.
Louisa
Posted by: Maggie

Re: The Notebook! - 10/14/04 09:14 PM

I finally finished All over but the Shoutin.
It was spectaculary written. All the descriptions were wonderful. The story was really interesting
and to come out of it all like he did wow.
I read the Notebook a long time ago will be interesting to see how others feel about it.
Maggie
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The Notebook! - 10/14/04 09:24 PM

I've read The Notebook and was sorely disappointed. But...I will admit I think Nicholas Sparks is a very good writer so I will try and find something positive to say about it. Honest injun.

JJ

Re: The Notebook! - 10/17/04 03:49 PM

I started the book yesterday. I go for anything with romance. So far, so good. Does oah sound like a good catch to you. I like how he writes about his dad with such tenderness. That's rare in a man. Don't you think? Especially after reading All Over but the Shoutin', and that was true.

Re: The Notebook! - 10/20/04 05:48 PM

I'm finished and ready to chat when someone else is. I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't finished.

Re: The Notebook! - 10/20/04 11:00 PM

Okay...it had a nice cover.

JJ
Posted by: Julie

Re: The Notebook! - 10/21/04 03:59 AM

JJ - I haven't read this book but I do not feel inclined, having read another by this author...so syrupy...one was enough. Maybe it is a man's idea of what women want to read?? [Roll Eyes]

Re: The Notebook! - 10/22/04 12:14 AM

Tough crowd!

I can't help it. I'm a sap. I loved the fact that those two got together. I was't expecting it. He sucked me right in.

Re: The Notebook! - 10/22/04 12:40 AM

Julie, in my opinon, it was so syrupy you could have had pancakes with it. Now wasn't he the one who wrote "Message in a Bottle?" If so, I dearly loved that. NOW THAT was a believable love story...hubba hubba...

JJ
Posted by: Julie

Re: The Notebook! - 10/22/04 04:29 AM

Sorry JJ. 'Message in a bottle' was the one I read and didn't like. I guess I'm not a romance reader! Maybe we are just different in the southern hemisphere...

Re: The Notebook! - 10/22/04 05:53 PM

Since I'm the mother of teens, I want to know what you all thought of her mother keeping all those letters. Wasn't that awful?
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: The Notebook! - 10/27/04 01:10 PM

OK - Sorry Fellow Boomer Readers, but I'm a little late getting started with "Notebook" - I have it now and will start on it tonight (at least that's my current plan)....looks like "mixed reviews" here so far, but I'm going to start it with an open mind and see what happens! [Wink]
Posted by: boomersis

Re: The Notebook! - 11/01/04 03:51 AM

I have not started the Notebook yet. I am looking forward to it. I just could not get through All Over But the Shoutin', so I am moving on. Hope to read the Notebook quickly. I need a book that I can't put down. I see there are mixed reviews on this one. I hope I like it as much as Dotsie.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: The Notebook! - 11/02/04 01:42 PM

Well, I'm finding it slow going quite honestly...I absolutely adore a good romance read, but I just can't "connect" with this one. I can't become absorbed in it like I usually become when I'm truly "into" a book. I don't think I'm expressing myself too well here (!!) but anyway, I'm committed to finishing it and perhaps I will feel differently then. Nicholas Sparks is an excellent writer though and I've read other books of his.....this one is just not leaving the same impression on me. [Frown]
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: The Notebook! - 11/03/04 02:23 AM

I saw the movie when it came out and loved it! I saw it with my daughter - I think there's a thread someplace where I discussed the movie. On the way out, my daughter said, "Mom, you read the book. Don't you remember?" And honestly - I couldn't! The book didn't impress me, but the movie did simply because it was so beautifully filmed. Some of the scenery in the movie is breathtaking. But I'm with you on the book.

Re: The Notebook! - 11/03/04 03:28 AM

When I read the book I thought it would help me with dealing with my mother. Although I enjoyed reading it at the time it was an escape but didn't help at all.
Would love to see the movie after reading all your posts.
Maggie

Re: The Notebook! - 11/05/04 06:37 PM

Maggie, what were you looking for as far as help for your mother when you read it? There really wasn't much in the way of help/truth about Alzheimer's.

Maybe we can direct you to another book that would help.

Were any of you attracted to Noah and his devotion and love for Allie? Come on. It couldn't have been that bad...

Re: The Notebook! - 11/07/04 07:38 AM

Dotsie, when I heard the word Alzheimers back then I just thought it was another book to help us out. I did enjoy the book though it gave me a break from what was going on at the time.
Thanks for the offer of help mom passed away a few years ago and now I find myself giving advice and listening to others who are going through the same thing.
You mentioned letters I think from another girlfriend. I thought it was interesting that the mother saved them. Its been so long since I've read the book I guess I've forgotten a lot of it.
thanks,
Maggie