Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Posted by: Dotsie

Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/05/04 03:15 PM

I'm excited to introduce Carolyn to you. She is the ultimate book promoter. I started reading her book last night. I'm taking it to the dentist with me today. [Big Grin] It's tough to put down! I've already learned many tid-bits. I can't wait to register for some of the newsletters she recommends and research some of the web sites. Be ready to work at promoting yourself while you read the book. Your mind will be buzzing with how to implement her fresh ideas. Here's her message to you: [Big Grin]

I am pleased that Dotsie asked me to join all of you on her forum. I wanted to do something special for you and we decided that the writers among you might prefer the offer I made to my own newsletter subscribers, a sample media kit. THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T covers the all-important subject of media kits, of course, but there is something about having one--properly formatted for you to use as a guide--that makes putting together one for yourself easier. So, this is what we boomers (and in my case) post-boomers will do:

When you purchase THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T from Amazon or BarnesandNoble.com, paste a copy of it into an e-mail to HoJoNews@aol.com. Give me your address and I’ll send you the same media kit (mine!) that I will be using as a handout for my extension class at UCLA. Not only will you get the media kit, but I pay the postage. By the way, for those who have already purchased FRUGAL or those of you who prefer fiction, the same offer is open if you prefer to order THIS IS THE PLACE or HARKENING instead of FRUGAL.

This seems like a good way for me to share with those of you who are participating on this forum. One of my reasons for writing FRUGAL was to help authors avoid the potholes I stepped into when I started promoting my first novel.

I bring a unique perspective to the subject of book promotion because I was formerly a publicist for the New York firm that created the first "10 Best Dressed List" and a staff member in the editorial department of "Good Housekeeping Magazine” as well as the author of an award-winning novel (This is the Place) and book of creative nonfiction (Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered). My poetry and short stories appear frequently in literary journals and elsewhere and I’ve publicized them all with very little help from my publisher.

An early review is available at: http://www.compulsivereader.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=765.

Here is an unsolicited comment from a reader after she read FRUGAL:

Your book has become my REFERENCE BIBLE outside of Dan Poynter's Self Publishing Manual. Whatever I need to know relative to guidance, your book is IT. I have filed all the pages in a 3-ring binder notebook and placed it on my desk

Margie Gosa Shivers, Author of Anonymity: A Tale of Suspense Seduction and Revenge http://www.margiegosashivers.com/

And Tim Bete, the director of the Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop at Dayton University, has recommended FRUGAL to all "his" writers in his newsletter.

You can read more about my publishing history and my awards at http://carolynhowardjohnson.com/. You will also find several e-books--also my thanks to you--free for the downloading. COOKING BY THE BOOK and others are on my home page and you will need to follow the links through and wait long enough for the books to load in .pdf format.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and answering your questions.

Very best, Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Ordering Information

Order it in e-book form for only $9. at EBookAd where it is featured on the home page. Go to: http://www.ebookad.com/. Its individual page at ebookad.com is: http://www.ebookad.com/eb.php3?ebookid=19685&PHPSESSID=d8159bad393184515d9802dbdd3b43c0

Paperbacks are available thriugh Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
Posted by: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 08:17 AM

Dear Dotsie and All Your Boomer Fans:

It is a pleasure to be invited to share with you. I hope you all have tons of questions regarding books, publishing, promoting (yourself, your business or your book), and all things related including the joy of writing! One of the nice things about Dotsie's format is that we have tons of time to get to know one another!

Best,
Carolyn
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 12:16 AM

Hi Carolyn and welcome to our forum.

It's an honor to have you visit us.

I haven't written a book yet. I mostly write essays and short stories. I am working on my first novel. I've just started to take my writing seriously. I'm one of those who always wanted to write, but never found the time. Now that my children are older, I'm making the time.
I am going to purchase your book for future reference in the hopes that I actually finish my book and need it.

Do you have any advice for a newbie like myself?

Also, how do you feel about publishing articles and stories without pay? Is this a smart way to go, for a beginner to get noticed or do you feel it's a waste of time?

Robin
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 05:13 AM

Hi Carolyn,

I am working on my 50000 word novel for nanowrimo and already behind. I have had several articles published in my local newspaper as well on a few websites. Some of my work will be coming out in Cosmic Brownies, Penwomanship magazine and I have an article in Cheryl Wright's book on winning contests.

I am interested in all that you have to say. Thanks for joining us.

Sherri
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 02:36 PM

Hi Carolyn...it's great to have you here.

My first novel was published this past Summer and I was lucky enough to have the Boomer Ladies Book Club read it a few months ago.....I knew NOTHING about book promotion when I signed with my small press publisher but quickly learned that I would be doing all the promoting MYSELF. I'm learning quick - the old "trial by fire" method!

I will certainly be happy to have some advice and guidance.....that's for sure. WELCOME ABOARD! [Big Grin]
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 04:31 PM

Welcome Carolyn,
We are happy to have you with us. You will find loving spirits and listening hearts here. I am printing out your web page to hand out to a writers meeting tomorrow.

Again, welcome.
I hope you enjoy it here.
smile

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 05:20 PM

Carolyn, on page 27 of your book you mention copyright. I've never heard the suggestion of mailing your work to yourself in a sealed envelope and leaving it sealed to prove copyright. That's interesting. I guess that's all it really takes, huh?

I'm highlighting and writing all over the pages. I'm going to have a week of work to follow up with all your bright ideas.

I'm enjoying all the sites you recommend. I love having them right at my finger-tips. [Wink]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 05:49 PM

I'm heading for B & N later this morning to look for the book. Of course I have nothing to promote, but I want it for two friends who are self publishing. And I need it before tomorrow! Of course I am the same person who posted about trying to weed out books too, but...

Anyway, what is this about sending yourself an unopened copy of your work to prove copyright? I gotta get the book.
smile

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 06:26 PM

I'm on my way to an instructor's class at UCLA but I wanted to at least open the mail and greet you today. So thank you all for your greetings (and one order on FRUGAL!) I think we're going to have fun.

I'll answer the first letter and then get back to you all later this evening. These are answers to Robin's questions. I pasted them below and answered in caps, sort of conversation style.
----

I haven't written a book yet. I mostly write essays and short stories. I am working on my first novel. I've just started to take my writing seriously. I HOPE YOU WILL CONSIDER TAKING A GOOD, REPUTABLE COURSE IN THE CRAFT OF WRITING. I HAD BEEN A PROFESSIONAL WRITER AND WHEN I STARTED WRITING CREATIVELY IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO REALIZE THAT I NEEDED TO LEARN SOME NEW TECHNIQUES! (-: I'm one of those who always wanted to write, but never found the time. Now that my children are older, I'm making the time.
I am going to purchase your book for future reference in the hopes that I actually finish my book and need it.

Do you have any advice for a newbie like myself? OOPS. I GUESS I GAVE IT TO YOU ABOVE. ALSO CRITIQUE GROUPS CAN HELP BUT TRY TO GET ONE WITH SOME REAL PROS IN IT OR YOU MAY GET MISLEADING ADVICE.

Also, how do you feel about publishing articles and stories without pay? HA!! THERE IS A WHOLE CHAPTER ON THIS IN FRUGAL. I BELIEVE THAT NO ONE SHOULD PUBLISH FREE. BUT PUBLISHING IN TRADE FOR A TAGLINE, A SMALL AD, EXPOSURE, A BYLINE, ETC IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO START BUILDING YOUR RESUME (CLIPS) AND TO START BRANDING YOUR NAME. IF AN ONLINE EDITOR IS WILLING TO GIVE YOU CREDIT--THE MORE ESTENSIVE THE BETTER--THEN THIS ISN'T REALLY FREE, IS IT. BUT MOST PEOPLE LABEL IT AS SUCH. I KNOW THIS IS VERY CONTROVERSIAL AND I SEE THE DRAWBACKS BUT I CREDIT SOME OF MY "FREE" (REALLY BARTERED) ARTICLES INSTRUMENTAL IN MY SUCCESS. Is this a smart way to go, for a beginner to get noticed or do you feel it's a waste of time? TRY TO TARGET YOUR AUDIENCE IN ORDER TO KEEP IT FROM BEING A WASTE OF TIME. AS AN EXAMPLE, IF YOU PLAN TO WRITE ROMANCE, THEN WRITE ARTICLES AND REVIEWS FOR ROMANCE MAGAZINES AND SITES. THAT WAY YOUR NAME WILL BECOME FAMILIAR TO YOUR READERS BEFORE YOUR FIRST BOOK IS DONE. THIS IS WHY I ENCOURAGE BEGINNING WRITERS TO LEARN ABOUT PROMOTION EARLY. THERE IS LOTS THAN YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW AS A BEGINNER AND IT ALL ADDS UP TO A NICE PORTFOLIO OF EXPERIENCE.
----

I'll talk to all of you later this evening. It's nice to be with you!! And please excuse typos. You'll discover soon enough that I'm very casual and dyslexic enough not to be able to see my own mistakes (though I sure enough see everyone else's typos, I have great compassion for them! LOL. )

Best,

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/06/04 06:51 PM

Thank you for the advice Carolyn,

Now I really can't wait to read the book!

On the writing class: Do you think it is better to go to an actual class or would I get just as much out of an online class. I've been pondering this for awhile.

Also (sorry I have a lot of questions) What do you think of writers groups? Is it worthwhile for me, as a beginner, to join one? I just recently became aware of the North Carolina Writers Group and was thinking of joining. (I've recently moved here)

Thanks again, Robin

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 12:34 AM

Speakermom, I was curious about the mailing to yourself thing also. Our B&N didn't have a copy of the book so I haven't read what it actually says. Maybe it advises you do that during the development of a book or something. ??
There are plenty of reasons NOT to rely on anything but registration with the U.S. Copyright Office as proof of copyright.
For one thing, even if the unopened mailing is accepted as proof of authorship, you have to pay for all the investigation and attorney fees to get it before a judge. And even if you win, you only get 'actual monetary damages' which are usually practically nothing.
However, if you register your copyright with the U.S. Copyright office ($30) the U.S. Govt. pays for all the investigation of the infringement of your copyright (which exists for 75 years after you die) because infringement is a federal CRIME and carries with it a $10,000 fine and a possible prison term. Plus if you win in court, you are eligible for not only what it actually cost you, but what the people who stole your work made from it and punitive damages which could be millions of dollars.

For some reason writers seem adverse to registering copyrights. I don't know why. It's so easy. Just do a search for U.S. Copyright Office. The forms are online.
My writer friends go to great lengths to create "proof of copyright" rather than registering. Am I missing something here? I register everything, especially my songs. I learned that the hard way when my songs were stolen and I couldn't afford to pursue a case.
REGISTER
smile

[ November 06, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:20 AM

Dear Sherri and All:

So you are doing the November Novel Writing Thing. And you're doing freelance work. It sounds as if you are on the right track. Thanks for your nice welcome.
Carolyn

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:24 AM

Dear Pamela:
You said, "My first novel was published this past Summer and I was lucky enough to have the Boomer Ladies Book Club read it a few months ago.....I knew NOTHING about book promotion when I signed with my small press publisher but quickly learned that I would be doing all the promoting MYSELF. I'm learning quick - the old "trial by fire" method!"

As you learned book clubs are an excellent way to gain exposure. We can also learn a lot about how our READERS view our writing by listening to what readers (as opposed to fellow writers) have to say about our work. One of my closes author friend found, though, that it is a good idea to be published before you subject your book to a reader's club--otherwise they get the idea that it is their "job" to rewrite it for you. LOL!!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:27 AM

Dear Smile:
First of all, thank you!!! You said, "We are happy to have you with us. You will find loving spirits and listening hearts here. I am printing out your web page to hand out to a writers meeting tomorrow." You are obviously well on your way to being a great promoter (or public relations professional! (-: ) That's what PR is; treating people with love, networking and passing the word! Dotsie was right when she said that her group was special!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:40 AM

Dotsie and Speakermom:
Regarding that copyright thing (and no, Speaker mom, I don't take offense! A good robust conversation is always a good thing! (-:
There have been lots of changes in the copyright laws recently and that's one reason I wrote the first chapter on "fear" and put it first because that fear of plagiarism is almost always foremost on the minds of my students and fellow critique group members. I am not a lawyer and this shouldn't be considered legal advice. But the words "copyright (or the insignia) and the date cover most writers as thoroughly as they need to be covered. The next step is the envelope thing that Dotsie mentioned and the next is registering your copyright with the US government. The whole chapter is dedicated to this subject and the fear that drives the interest in it and I can't rewrite it here; suffice it to say--sort of a bottom line--that if you aren't prepared to sue over infringements (either you can't afford the time or money) then having the most watertight copyright in the world isn't going to help you much. I want my work to be read. I'd like to see your work be read. We can't let worry about plagiarism cripple us. And remember, if someone copied your work verbatim, you not only have to prove that they did it, you also have to prove that they made some money from it in order to make a suit worthwhile. So, why all the fuss? Take the precautions that you feel comfortable with and move on. But a mailed, sealed envelope full of your material is really more protection than you'll ever need. Once you are published, let your publisher worry about anything more "official" than that. Not advice, remember???
(-:
C.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:45 AM

Smilinize:
Smilinize said, "I'm heading for B & N later this morning to look for the book. Of course I have nothing to promote, but I want it for two friends who are self publishing. And I need it before tomorrow! Of course I am the same person who posted about trying to weed out books too, but..."

I have to suppose that you were disappointed. BN has a process by which they accept (or not) books for their list from which their stores are "allowed" to order. It takes about 8 weeks. My paperback was submitted for their perusal only about six weeks ago. (It was not released until Sept. 1.) You won't find it at BN and I hope I can legitimately say, "yet." And then, once it is "accepted," not all BNs will carry it. Ah,the woes of publishers and authors!!! You can get it rather quickly from BN.com and Amazon. Unfortunately that won't fix your problem for you. I hope you thought of an Amazon gift certificate! (-:
C.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 06:54 AM

Robin:
You wrote: " On the writing class: Do you think it is better to go to an actual class or would I get just as much out of an online class. I've been pondering this for awhile."
"REAL" CLASSROOMS AND ONLINE OFFER DIFFERENT ADVANTAGES. THE DANGERS TO ONLINE AS I SEE IT IS THAT 1. THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE "TEACHING" ONLINE WHO ARE ILL EQUIPPED TO DO SO (PUBLISHING A BOOK DOES NOT MEAN ONE IS AN EXPERT ON STRUCTURE, AS AN EXAMPLE). IF YOU DECIDE TO GO THE ONLIN ROUTE, STUDY THE QUALIFICATIONS OF THE TEACHER AND THE SPONSORING SITE/SCHOOL THOROUGHLY. IT'S BETTER TO PAY MORE TO GET GREAT TRAINING IF NECESSARY.
2. ONLINE COURSES DON'T USUALLY HELP YOU SET UP A QUALIFIED CRITIQUE GROUP IN YOUR AREA. IT MAY, HELP YOU WITH A GOOD ONLINE ONE, THOUGH.
ON THE OTHER HAND, I'D RATHER HAVE AN ONLINE CLASS TAUGHT BY A GREAT WRITER/TEACHER THAN A LOCAL ONE TAUGHT BY SOMEONE WHO CAN'T EXPLAIN HOW TO USE THE VERB "TO LIE." JUST BE CAREFUL WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE!

ROBIN ALSO SAID, "Also (sorry I have a lot of questions) What do you think of writers groups? Is it worthwhile for me, as a beginner, to join one? I just recently became aware of the North Carolina Writers Group and was thinking of joining. (I've recently moved here)" I'M NOT SURE IF YOU MEAN WRITERS' CRITIQUE GROUPS HERE. IF SO, THEY CAN BE FANTASTIC. DO CONSIDER THE QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERTISE OF ANYONE--FELLOW AUTHOR OR TEACHER--WHO OFFERS YOU ADVICE. ONLINE, IN A WRITERS GROUP OR ELSEWHERE. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT A PERSON WHOSE "ONLY" QUALIFICATION IS THAT THEY ARE A READER ARE TO BE IGNORE. IT'S JUST THAT YOU WOULD EVALUATE HER COMMENTS DIFFERENTLY.
c.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 07:03 AM

PS SPEAKERMOM:
YOU SAID, "This is a nice myth floating around among some writers. I attended a workshop on copyright law and the attorney who presented answered that common myth saying no judge would accept a sealed envelop with postmark as proof of copyright and it wouldn't stand up in court."

I LOVE LAWYERS. I HAVE A SON WHO IS ONE. BUT REMEMBER THAT COPYRIGHT LAWYERS CAN'T MAKE MUCH MONEY UNLESS THEY SELL SERVICES. IT IS SO HARD TO WIN A COPYRIGHT CASE THAT EVEN WITH A FULLY OFFICIAL, LEGAL COPYRIGHT IN HAND (BY THE WAY THESE ARE EASY TO DO AND ONLY COST ABOUT $30 IF YOU DO THEM YOURSELF) YOUR CHANCES OF "WINNING" ANYTHING ARE PRETTY SLIM. I PREFER TO TAKE THE PHILOSOPHICAL APPROACH THUS: SOMEONE COPIES YOUR WORK. YOU FIND THEM BY SELF-SURFING THE WEB. YOU WRITE AND SAY, PRETTY MUCH, "AHA, I CAUGHT YOU!" AND YOU SAY, LET'S MAKE THIS WIN-WIN. YOU EITHER PAY ME OR TAKE A TRADE OUT IN EXPOSURE FOR MY BOOK IN ADS FOR MY BOOK OR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IT (THEY MUST HAVE LIKED IT WELL ENOUGH TO COPY FROM IT, RIGHT?) AND WE'LL ALL WALK AWAY FROM THIS HAPPY. I HAD THIS HAPPEN ONCE, VERY RECENTLY. THEY DIDN'T ASK ME FOR A COPYRIGHT. THEY JUST GAVE ME AN AD WORTH ABOUT $400. WHICH IS LOTS MORE THAN I WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR IN REPRINT RIGHTS, ANYWAY! WHAT GOOD WOULD A COPYRIGHT HAVE DONE ME. AGAIN, THIS ISN'T ADVICE. I'M JUST SHARING MY THEORIES. IF ANY OF YOU NEED TO BE SUPER CAREFUL BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU'RE BUILT, THEN HAVE AT IT. LOL. TO EACH HER OWN.
BEST, C.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 07:14 AM

Dear Smile:
You said: "especially my songs." Wow, this is something I know nothing about. I have a friend who deals with rights in the music world and she is very, very cautious, too. A different world. I'll tell you, though, if I registered everything I wrote, I would have spend literally thousands in copyright fees. I guess we each have to weigh what we have at stake for each of our works. I know that if someone used the plot behind my novel, This is the Place, that registered copyright of no, I would have a heck of a time getting punitive damages or any other kind out of them. This kind of thing is in the LA papers all the time. Nobody ever beats Disney. Remember The Lion King? And the difference between the method used to copyright isn't probably going to be the defining part of the case; rather it will be how similar the material and something called "intent." Plus, even if I thought I had a 99% chance of winning I would have to find a lawyer who would take it on contingency and he'd have to decide whether or not he would make enough money to take it on IF he won, or I'd have to dig up the funds to pay a lawyer by the case or by the hour. You know what???? That just isn't going to happen. Guess they'll have to use my plot with three changes (or something like that) so they can get away with it and I'm just going to have to get my pleasure from knowing my material was that good to begin with!! Am I going on and on here?? >smile>

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 07:57 AM

Wow!! What a great compliment especialy coming from a professional.
I'm afraid I am really an amateur at this whole thing. I would never have even got a website if I had not foud this site. I have learned so much from the women here.

And Dotsie is the most special of all. She has the patiece of Job and the most loving spirit in the world. She encourages us all to reach for the stars all the time. I can't wait for her book to come out. I am dying to see her on Oprah. I fly to harpo studios to be in the audience. I bet Oprah would tell us to look under our seats to find our own copy of Dotsie's book.
WOW!! And I want to borrow a friend's professional movie camera and do a documentary of a cross country tour where we meet a lot of the boomer wmen. (JJ and I are planning to get the Chippendale Dancers for drivers--Whoopee!!--Wanna' come along??--Shhh... Don't tell Dotsie)

Anyway, welcome again.
smile
P.S. A writer friend is trying to find a copy of your book for our meeting tomorrow.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn Howard-Johnson:
if I registered everything I wrote, I would have spend literally thousands in copyright fees.

### You can register up to TEN things at once as a "collection of your works" for $30 so it's really pretty cheap unless you do billions of things. And of course it's deductible.

Plus, even if I thought I had a 99% chance of winning I would have to find a lawyer who would take it on contingency and he'd have to decide whether or not he would make enough money to take it on IF he won, or I'd have to dig up the funds to pay a lawyer by the case or by the hour. You know what???? That just isn't going to happen. ;

#### That's my point. If you register your copyright, the infringement is a Federal Crime. The investigation and the lawyers are paid by the U.S. Government. And you are not limited to actual damages as you are in Unregistered copyright cases. If the copyright is registered you can get royalties on whatever they made from your work as well as punitive damages.
I don't know the particulars of the Lion King case, but even Disney almost alays BUYS Registered material and STEALS Unregistered material. They know they have enough lawyers to outlast anyone who has NOT registered, but even Disney doesn't have as many lawywers as the U.S. Govt.

Just some adivce from someone who has learned the hard way.
smile
P.S. I certainly agree with you that most new writers worry far too much about plagarism and far too little about writing well enough for someone to want to steal their work.

[ November 07, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 04:52 PM

Welcome Carolyn, I've been away on vacation and just got back. What a great surprise it was to find you in the forum! I've been writing most of my life, but it's only been in the past few years that I've been doing anything with it. I write feature stories for a local newspaper, freelance. I enjoy writing short stories and poetry more. Since a lot of it ends up online, either in an ezine or on my own website, I like what you said about writing for "free."

I love writing nostalgic stories. I'm in two anthologies (self-published by my writing group)I'm in the slow process of writing my own first book. It will be a collection of essays, poetry and photos - things I remember about growing up in the 50s and 60s.

As soon as I'm unpacked, I'll have lots of questions for you, I'm sure. [Smile] I plan to visit your website and also to get a copy of Frugal.

Thanks for being with us.
Louisa
Posted by: Sher

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 05:09 PM

Hi there and thanks so much for answering our questions,

Here's mine!

I write what I like to write without ever giving any thought as to whether it might be something suited for publication. I'm self-centered that way. [Big Grin] However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work.

Should I try to write with becoming published as my main goal? And how in the world do I know what that magic topic would be? I write because I have to, because I love it and because it's cheaper than therapy. But I want to see my name in print at some point in this life other than in my obituary. [Razz]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/07/04 10:55 PM

Dear All:
Just checking in. It's my husband's birthday so we're going to a movie and dinner. I'll check with you all tomorrow. (-:

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/08/04 03:50 PM

Hi Carolyn,
Wish your hubby a happy birthday for us!

I'm just seeking an opinion on this: What do you think of pen names?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/08/04 04:15 PM

Yuhoooo....Ms C! Welcome girl!

I've just returned from my trip to Martha's Vineyard, (compliments of QueenMe's contest) and look what I found! So glad you are here to spirit us on and share your sage wisdom.

I have your book (e-book) and encourage everyone to get a copy. We are so fortunate to be able to benefit from your research and hard work...

I look forward to reading the guidance given here and of course, wanted to say welcome!

JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/08/04 11:51 PM

Boomer Writers:

"Our B&N didn't have a copy of the book so I haven't read what it actually says. Maybe it advises you do that during the development of a book or something. ??"

I hope you won't let BN dissuade you from buying the book--they are just sooooo slow. Hustle on over to Amazon.com. It helps and authors' ratings to have purchasers go there, anyway (see FRUGAL's chaptr on how to use Amazon's perks in promoting!)
Regarding the mailing yourself thing. Actually this advice is given to help get people over the stultifying fear of plagiarism. Really, plagiarism isn't nearly the problem everyone has been frightened into thinking it is! Once you're actually published, your publisher will--in almost every case--register your book for you formally.

Let's take on another subject. That of "branding." Everyone know what that is? How to use it in life and business? Why it is better than just "trying to sell books?" [Roll Eyes]

Happy Monday everyone!!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/08/04 11:54 PM

Dear Jaw Jaw and All:
Nice to hear from you. Actually, I owe you a round of thanks--publicly. J.J. suggested BWS to me. We "found" each other on the net and I'm so glad to know her. This kind of networking is what promotion of any kind is all about.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 12:00 AM

One of you asked, "What do you think of pen names?"

Pen names are a useful way to "brand" your writing, if it is very disparate. Say, you write educational tomes and red-hot love stories, too. It might be best to separate one "business" from another. Many do it to "improve" their names--Faith Popcorn is an extreme example and, although, it worked for her I find it VERY distracting. Others do it because they have a privacy issue (there goes that "fear" thing getting the way of writers, again).

I think that--generally speaking--one's writing will all hang together under one name and that even when they are dissimilar (an advice book on writing like Bird by Bird and that same author's literary work) one will sometimes work to "sell" another one. (My sales on This is the Place have revived a bit since FRUGAL came out.) In my opinion, authors should examine their motives for using a pen name very carefully and THEN carefully consider how it will effect their promotional efforts before they do it. Once decided, and one's book is published, it's hard to regain lost ground if that should be the net effect.

Best,
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 12:23 AM

Welcome, Carolyn, I apologize for being late to the discussion. I attended a writers' conference over the weekend and had a great time.

I'm looking forward to reading your book. I had done some promotional research and found a link to your site. I intended to purchase your book then but getting ready for the conference took more time than I had. I'm glad I hesitated now, because I can take advantage of your great offer of a sample media kit. Thank you so much.

I have a new novel coming out in late 2005/early 2006 and have just finished writing my marketing plan. The one item that I'm not looking forward to is writing press releases. I'm not very good at writing them. They don't 'pop' enough nor do they express any excitement. Do you address press releases in your book? Do you suggest any other places to submit press releases other than prweb and netread?

Finally, all good promotion is going to cost money, even the most frugal of promotion. What types of promotion do you recommend for those of us who don't have lots of $ to spend? Should we purchase the postcards, business cards, and book marks? Should we create the flyers and brochures? Where would our money be best spent?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 12:37 AM

Carolyn,

Ditto to every one of Vicki's questions.

You were much discussed in my writer's meeting over the weekend. Since I am in no hurry to read because I have no book in publication right now I will go to B&N later to buy a copy, but one of the writers is going to Amazon for her copy because her book is coming out soon. Just thought you might like to know.

Also, I would like to hear you elaborate a little more on the "Branding" issue.
smile
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 02:37 AM

Carolyn, I saw your lovely poem on Long Story Short. I love that site. I have had a few stories/poems on there. It's packed with information too.

Do you write a lot of poetry? I also visited your website and plan to go back and check it out further.
Louisa

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 07:46 PM

Boomer Women Authors:
Anyone here interested in participating in a way to promote one another's work (and our own)--all FREE--on Amazon. It's a great way for groups like these with a similar interest to get the word out there. I notice that we have lots of writers with published books on the links page as members. Each of you could do a Listmania, including each other's books. We would need at least four to participate because Listmania requires three books for each list and, it seems only fair to list three in addition to our own! (-:
Best,

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/09/04 07:56 PM

Carolyn, I would be interested. Those of you with books, send me your titles and I'll create a list.

Send me your book info to my e-mail address at vicki@vickimtaylor.com

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/10/04 04:10 AM

I think book marks are great promotional tools. They are inexpensive to reproduce. Be sure to include book cover art which will show your title, contact information, web address, ISBN #, publisher, and a blurb to make people want to read more. Don't forget to use both sides.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/11/04 05:41 PM

Carolyn,
I write a lot of personal essays but I love to read in the horror genre. My dream is to write a horror novel someday. But I have begun to find some success with my essays.
My question to you is; Do you think it's harmful for a writer to go off in different directions with their writing? Is this what you meant by branding?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/11/04 06:44 PM

Carolyn, you're gonna laugh at this, but I can't help asking...what did your book publisher do for you? I don't mean anything derogatory by this comment. I'm curious to know what one can expect from a publisher and I'm sure it depends on the publishing company.

I'm on page 72 of your book and you have tons of suggestions for writers to jump start the process before finishing a book. Thanks for all the ideas swimming around in my head. Now all I need time to follow through with all of them. [Eek!]

Anyway, what did STAR do for you?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 04:59 AM

Dear Louisa:
Louise, you said, love writing nostalgic stories. "I'm in two anthologies (self-published by my writing group)I'm in the slow process of writing my own first book. It will be a collection of essays, poetry and photos - things I remember about growing up in the 50s and 60s."

Oh, we have so much in common. YOu'll have to consider reading my HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED. I started with anthologies, too, and this book is a collection of one family's memories that ties itself into a kind of novel-like bow at the end. It explores the issue of truth in fiction and fiction in truth! And it is the result of "just writing memories."

I'll watch for your other posts!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:05 AM

Dear Sher:
You said, "However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work.

Should I try to write with becoming published as my main goal? And how in the world do I know what that magic topic would be? I write because I have to, because I love it and because it's cheaper than therapy. But I want to see my name in print at some point in this life other than in my obituary."

Oh, Sher, I think you're getting discouraged way too early. The best poets and writers got started publishing for "free." It has a long reputable tradition in the literary world--almost none of those literary and poetry journals pay out dollars excepting for their contests. If you've been published at all, that is an affirmation of your work.

Having said that, of course write for yourself. But doesn't that include costantly working at improving your craft. So has you get "craftier" you might end up selling something. I sold my first poem only a couple of months ago--you know, actual DOLLARS. But many have been published in very fine journals. I consider that "writing for myself" and then, with luck (and lots of that trying-not-to-get-discouraged business called perserverance) I just may "sell" a second poem and then a third. By the way, some of the poems I've "given" away have carry far more prestige with the journal names than the one that paid! Ha!
Best,

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:09 AM

Smile:
You said, ". A writer friend is trying to find a copy of your book for our meeting tomorrow."

It won't happen. It's way too early to be in many bookstores. BN is still in the "acceptance" process. She could get it fast by downloading the e-book (http://ebookad.com ) for $9. and printing it out! (-:

Sorry about that. FRUGAL is, unlike my other books, self-published. That is part of the delay. Anyone want to discuss why I would self-pbublish when I "have" a publisher who would do it for me? LOL> There are LOTS of very good reasons.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:16 AM

Vicki:
You said, " I'm not very good at writing them. They don't 'pop' enough nor do they express any excitement. Do you address press releases in your book? Do you suggest any other places to submit press releases other than prweb and netread?

Finally, all good promotion is going to cost money, even the most frugal of promotion. What types of promotion do you recommend for those of us who don't have lots of $ to spend? Should we purchase the postcards, business cards, and book marks? Should we create the flyers and brochures? Where would our money be best spent"

Vicki, I advise people to get the basics of press releases before they try to make them pop because that effort often makes them appear very unprofessional. It sounds as if you've done your research on the basics, though, and yes, I have some ideas in FRUGAL for how to make them do that. I also suggest you all subscribe to Joan Stewart's Publicity Hound newsletter. She talks about releases and approaching editors a lot. Also, remember! Media releases, not press releases.

Regarding few dollars--the whole book is about this but my favorite that reaches a targeted audience is the perks offered on Amazon. I also have utilized writing reviews to the advantage of my promotional campaigns. And, I'm not much on spending money of give-aways but there are times when it is effective--depending on the subject matter of each individual book. There's a whole section on that including links where you can go to BUY souvenir type promotional things and nicer ones, too.

Hope this helps!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:23 AM

Let's see, Smile wanted me to talk more about branding. Branding is different from "selling" books. Each author considers--more or less--what she wants to be remembered for and that will influence how she designs her promotion campaign. I can almost bet that, if given some though, the answer to that question will NOT be that you want to be remembered for one book. That is one step in your writing career. Consider Coke. They have lots of mottoes. The Real Thing. Coke is It! And even songs. But they all hang together and don't exclude any of their product lines. That's what you want to do. Thus your media kit can certainly help announce a specific book but it should also help editors and producers with stories and angles that will help promote you or the theme that is important to your work. If you think like this to begin with, you won't waste your time designing a site, a kit, etc. that won't meet your "needs" later.

That is sort of the short of it!! There's lots more.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:28 AM

Well, we've got Vicki started on a list. I sent her my titles. I'm open to doing a list of Boomer Women's Published Works, so if your book fits that specific theme, send them to me a **************** along with a little blurb I can use on the Listmania. Give me some time, though! You ladies on this forum are keeping me pretty busy. (-:

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:32 AM

Louisa mentioned that she saw one of my poems on Long Story Short. Another was a poem of the month recently. So you see, I publish a lot "free" but get not only exposure in return but lots of contacts with great editors and publishers. Some day we will all be fine and known writers and someone may refer to us as the "Boomer School of Writing established in the early part of this millennium." Ha!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:35 AM

Bookmarks are one of the best ways to promote with "giveaways." Some people at conferences and fairs actually collect them. If you hand sign them at some events they become more collectible. A nice endorsement or "blurb" on them helps "sell" your book, too. You can ask fellow authors who are going to fairs to distribute book marks for you and you can do the same.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:41 AM

The question is: "Do you think it's harmful for a writer to go off in different directions with their writing? Is this what you meant by branding?"
Yes,s that is a consideration when you veer from one kind of writing but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Steven King veered from horro to a lovely little literary book on writing itself. Just be prepared that when you take off in a different direction, your fans may not like it much (John Grisham had lots of unhappy fants when he moved from the courtroom to his childhood in Oklahoma!) But it was his name, his quality, that was branded, not courtrooms. He wouldn't have a site decorated with gavels and law books. This might illustrate what I mean. You want to brand the "whole" you. If you have a site with a theme of "Screams in the Night" and then move from there into pastoral poems, your will need another site or need to fragment the site you have.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/04 05:50 AM

Dotsie asked, "what did your book publisher do for you? I don't mean anything derogatory by this comment. I'm curious to know what one can expect from a publisher and I'm sure it depends on the publishing company."
And I laughingly reply, a lot more than my first publisher did. And tons more than my best two writing friends (one BIG publisher, one smaller literary one) did. And she didn't promise more than she could deliver. She does media releases for important stuff, like my new USA Book News "Best Books of 2004" award. She arranged for all distribution--and that's already been mentioned on this thread--like Baker and Taylor and Ingram. All online bookstores and the e-book site I'm using. Book cover. Editing (though I don't recommend anyone turn this over to their publisher with a great deal of trust!), the formatting and takes care fo the yukky little details. She is truly responsive and communicates well--indeed, FAR more than most people can say about their publishers!
But promote FOR me. Never. Besides, no one will do it as well as I do it for myself and the same goes for any author. After all, YOU know your book. YOU are invested in your own book. How can any publisher or publicist beat that???
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/13/04 02:27 AM

Hi Carolyn! [Smile] Belated welcome here as I haven't been in the Forum this past week due to working 80 hours... I write poetry and short essays. My work has been published in a few national anthologies and a bunch of local ones. The more "literary" journals do not print work like mine, so I don't even submit there. I have the text finished for a 70-80 -page book but want to do illustrations before I think about publication. I have 3 self-published chapbooks. Intro over!

Here's my question: how does one get ISBN numbers for self-published books?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/13/04 03:42 AM

cuse please for butting in, but she forgot to tell ya she's called, "The Divine Ms M."

Just wanted to clarify that.

JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/13/04 09:47 PM

Meredith said, "I write poetry and short essays. My work has been published in a few national anthologies and a bunch of local ones. The more "literary" journals do not print work like mine, so I don't even submit there"

Meredith, that is the only way to do it. It doesn't polish the image of an artist when they send work to a publisher that doesn't relate to the kinds of things they publish.

About ISBN's: I'm trying to find an actual adress for you.

Best,

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 01:52 AM

About those ISBNs:
This from my publisher, Star Publish (www.starpublish.com):

"Here is the starting point:
http://www.isbn-international.org/en/index.html

You buy in blocks of 10 or 100 and up. There is not in between from 10 to 100. A person cannot buy ONE ISBN. You have to live in the USA to get ISBN's."

This is one reason that it helps to have the help of a publisher like Star. Some authors just swallow the cost of the whole ten and hope some day they will have ten published. Some figure it is best to wait to go the traditional route because of this. Others find another author who has bought ten and buy one from him or her--sort of a cooperative effort.

Hope that helps! Anyone who is interested in talking to my STAR publisher, Margie Tovrea, may reach her at starpublish04-info@yahoo.com.
Posted by: Mixedmetaphors

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 11:51 AM

Sher
Wiping The Crazy Off My Face.com: To Carolyn
"However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work."
OH YES THERE IS! Find it. CREATE IT!
I visited your site today for the first time.
I don't lavish undo praise just to be "nice".
You are very good! Very Funny!! A skilled writer.
The "honesty" that comes across in your work
is most refreshing. You have a distinct "voice" and are completely at ease with it. The proper "tone".....the whole magilla. (note monkey reference)I finally left your site, because of the hour, after an hour. I will go back. Written humor that makes you laugh aloud is rare, (especially me laughing aloud) GET PAID FOR IT. I'll Buy, subscribe, recommend.
( I'm a writer too, (even taught a little)if that lends any credibility to my praise)
Your site is also very good! (don't want to go overboard here) . Hey, you been giving it away long enough.... pretty soon you'll be looking to buy it back. GO PRO [Wink] Get Paid.
Posted by: Sher

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 04:35 PM

To Carolyn,

Thanks for the advice. I have read so, so many articles about why writers should never, ever give away their work for free. Makes a person worry a little.

And to Mixed Metaphors,
Oh, my gosh. I don't know what to say. You've made me day!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 05:29 PM

and of course always remember what da Queen tells ya...Mr. Snowman began as a snowflake. And just what does that mean? Beats the H out of me...but I read it somewhere and thought it was sooo cool.

what?

JJ
Posted by: Claire

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 05:38 PM

Once, I mentioned on a writer's group that it might be okay to write for no monetary payment in exhange for publicity etc (and that way you get payment in another way) and it caused a torrent of upset for everyone and a huge debate! Maybe we should individually go with what we think feels right ourselves.
All the best
Claire
Posted by: Claire

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 05:39 PM

Writers' group! Silly me.
C

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/04 07:11 PM

Wow, all kinds of little gems in here...even a contact for Carolyn's publisher! [Eek!]

I attended Baltimore's Writer's Conference yesterday. This sounds so elementary, but the big message was to finish your work and get it out there! You can't get published if you don't submit. You'd be surprised by the number of people who write, but don't promote.

I had to mention it here because Carolyn is our queen of Promotion and she's getting all of us on the right track. [Wink]
Posted by: Julie

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/15/04 03:16 AM

RE: ISBNs

it is possible to buy a single ISBN - but it is much more expensive. You don't have to live in the USA to get one! They are INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBERS - they are just allocated by different agencies in different countries.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/15/04 03:32 AM

This is some support group--all kinds of really knowledgeable women. And Dotsie is right. You can't sell or even share much if you don't submit. And, absolutely correct, one submits according to one's consience. There are lots of reasons to submit "free." For one thing, it has a long tradition of being perfectly acceptable. Literary journals have worked this way for decades. And, from the standpoint of "gathering clips" for a beginner, or "generating exposure" for someone with a book to promote, it works. There are some ethical aspects to consider; some feel that if one author gives her work away, it takes the "food" out of the mouth of another who is trying to make a living. I understand this. It's just that I think the universe is very abundant and that there are enough opportunities for all. Realistically, many places that don't pay would close down if no-cost material were not available. Not all "publishers" are getting rich. So, the idea that each should decide for herself is perfect. Isn't that how all advice should work. Offer. Consider. Decide. Ha!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/16/04 01:13 AM

I got an e-mail from Amazon today saying my book has been shipped. In the not so distant future I'm going to be holding THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER in my hot little hands.

Can you tell I'm eagerly awaiting it? I'm also eagerly awaiting Carolyn's sample media kit.

[ November 15, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/16/04 01:39 AM

Carolyn,
Just wanted to say thank you, I received my media kit today. I love the beautiful picture of you with your dog. I'm sure it is going to prove to be very useful to me in the future. (LOL the kit, not the picture [Smile] ) (but I do like the picture)
I'm still waiting for the book though. I also had an email telling me it's on its way and so I know I'll have it soon. I wanted to be able to read it before you left us, in case I had any questions for you about it. I'm going away for the holiday so I don't think that is going to be a possibility. Is there any chance you'll be popping in after this month, say maybe for a visit, just to say hello?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/16/04 10:31 PM

I finshed reading Chapter Four, Build Credentials For Your Kit and I was exhausted. There are so many practical tips in that one section. That chapter alone is worth the price of the book. When I'm finished the whoel book I'm going back and attempting to do all the excellent suggestions.

Carolyn, we travel some of the same sites on the internet. I recognize many of the web sites and names listed, but not ALL. I've got work to do girl. You wear me out!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/17/04 04:45 AM

Dotsie says I wear her out. Remember, the book is designed so that you pick and choose what fits your personality and pocketbook. It took me four years to accumulate that knowledge--you can't do it all at one. Then, knowing you Dots, maybe you can. I like that chapter on building creddentials, too. One reason I like it is that writers who haven't even begun to think about putting a book together can start building the groundwork for a successful book launch with that chapter. FRUGAL isn't just for published authors.

I'm glad you are all receiving your media kits. Remember, don't let the size of that kit discourage you either. The technique you learn in FRUGAL is to have a "page" or "folder" for each section and then fill in as you build your resume. The whole kit may not go out to everyone, either. An example is the experts list. That would only go out when you are pitching an interview or a feature on a subject where the editor/producer would need opposing or additional opinions. So, it wouldn't go in the kit for a book launch. Also, remember, that many beginning authors send out kits when they should be sending out an inexpensive query letter. In this case, the kit goes out when you get a nibble for a big story. In other words, use a kit like any tool. You'd pick the right bit for a screwdriver now, wouldn't you?
Best to you all. Tomorrow is a busy day for me. I am speaking to the American Business Women's Association and gotta get my hair uh, mmmm. touched up for that! So you may not hear from me tomorrow. The weekend will be prolematic--my weekend seminar at UCLA is that weekend. The good news is that it's filled up with a waiting list. Yeah!!!
Thanks again to all of you who have supported me. Keep the questions coming!
Best,
[Cool] I had to try this guy with the sunglasses. I'm from Calfifornia, you know. [Smile]
Posted by: Queen Me

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/17/04 06:45 PM

Hi Carolyn!

I'm just getting around to reading all the posts. Great stuff here.

I wanted to return to an earlier statement you made about self publishing. Why did you go that route with your current book? Did you use one of the companies like iUniverse.com, booklockers.com, publishamerica.com or did you create your own publishing company?

I've finished my first draft of a nonfiction book and am now considering all my options. From the sound of things I should have read your book twelve months ago!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 12:17 AM

Hurray, my book, The Frugal Book Promoter, arrived in the mail today. I've already started reading it. I plan on it being my "bible" for my next book, TRUST IN THE WIND to be released in early 2006.
Thanks Carolyn for writing such a much needed book.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 12:36 AM

Allyn asked: "I wanted to return to an earlier statement you made about self publishing. Why did you go that route with your current book? Did you use one of the companies like iUniverse.com, booklockers.com, publishamerica.com or did you create your own publishing company?"

Glad you fot in on this, Allyn. First of all we have to clarify terms. iUniverse, booklockers etc are not SELF publishing. They are subsidy publishing. You pay them--both their expenses plus some profit--to publish something for you. True SELF publishing is when you form your own company, do all the work including getting your own ISBN or that International number we were talking about on this forum a little earlier and all that other stuff. It is not impossible to do but it is a good, steep learning curve. I know most of that curve but didn't really want to spend the time--I'd rather write. And, I'd rather promote. So I chose an alternate route where I paid someone to do the work for me but the press OPERATES like self-ublishing. Star Publish doesn't take a cent from my trade paperback sales. This publisher makes her money (everybody's got to live!) up fron and on the e-book sales. This means that all my UCLA students, etc. who buy paperbacks will be buying from my distributors exactly as if I had self-published.

Why did I choose it.
A. Self-publishing is great if you are writing nonfcition with a built-in audience (like speaking tours, classes you teach, etc.) Why let even a big publisher reap all the profits when you can do can get them?
B. I needed it out FAST for my fall quarter class. STAR could do it for me in about 60 days. No one else could give me that kind of speed including if I'd done it myself (that learning curve, reseach, etc would take some time).
C. I like having full control over this kind of a book.

I'm not sure I would do this with my next novel. I do know, that even if I publish my next novel with a small press or a big press that I will still have to do all the promoting myself. I can't tell you how many sad stories I hear each week about people who have gone the agent/big pubisher route only to be verrrry disappointed with their promotion efforts and with the royalties they end up getting (and with the small--beginning author--advances!!)

Hope this helps!!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 12:38 AM

Vicki:
Glad THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER ARRIVED!!!! Yeah!! How long did it take from ordering date to door? It seems some people I hear from are receiving them very fast and some not.
Good reading, Vicki. And thank you.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 01:22 AM

It was less than a week. I could live with that. I'll let you know when I receive the sample media kit.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 01:25 AM

I got my copy of the book also!
Posted by: Queen Me

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/18/04 07:22 PM

Dear Carolyn,

Yes, your reply was indeed helpful and most timely. Decisions, decisions.

I must confess that I now believe writing the book was the "easiest" part of the process!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/19/04 09:42 AM

I'm glad that Amazon is delivering promptly, especially when some of you were inconvenienced by Frugal's not being available at your local Barnes and Nobel!

Allyn, the promotion is a learning curve. I promise it gets easier. But it always takes lots of time and the more successful you get the more time it takes.

BTW, FRUGAL was just named a Reviewer's Choice Masterpiece by reviewer Lori Soard at http://wordmuseum.com/wmreviews.htm. It seems promotion works that way. When things start going right, they build on one another.

I'll check in with all tomorrow.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/19/04 04:51 PM

Congratulations on the award Carolyn. I'm finding the book very helpful already even though I don't have a book done yet. There are a lot of things to consider about promoting even before you write a book. I'm thinking about getting myself a website now. The branding issue has me thinking also. Thank you for a wonderfully informative and helpful book!
Robin

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/19/04 11:31 PM

Carolyn, Thank for your continued encouragement and great answers.

Cograts on your award too!

Where do you get the energy?

My head is swimming while reading your book. I'm almost finished, but it will take me forever to follow through with all the suggestions.

I'm curious to know if it would benefit you to have your book published again through a big publishing house. It's such an excellent resource for writers. Does this ever happen? Would it be worth your while?
Posted by: Franny

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/20/04 01:27 AM

Carolyn Howard-Johnson is among my best subscribers at Book Promotion Newsletter, www.bookpromotionnewsletter.com. She is supportive and friendly, as well as being a terrific promoter. She claims to have learned a lot from the newsletter, but I have also learned much about promoting from her.

I haven't yet read her book but I'm sure it's very worthwhile. Anything she does is wonderful.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/20/04 07:09 AM

Thanks, Franny, for the words of confidence. By the way, all of you are promoting or are about to, Fran's newsletter on promotion is well worth her small $5. fee--not only because one learns so much from it and because she and her subscribers share valuable resources but also because she supports her subscribers in turn. You've got her ear on the forum. Go for it!

Dotsie, your comment on trying for a big publisher is one that most self and subsidy published authors ponder if their books are successful. There are a couple of drawbacks. The author would probably make less money in royalties by going to a traditional-mainstream publisher. Another is the loss of control. The advantage would be that it would find some new avenues of distribution and for authors whose first goal is to BE READ, that is definitely a consideration. There is another advantage and that is an author could learn much from a major publisher IF she were assigned one of their BEST editors; on the other hand, if she weren't she could end up feeling frustrated being advised by someone with fewer editing skills than she has (I've seen this happen with a couple of my writing friends who have taken great pains to hone their craft--MFAs and the like.) It is a dilemma.
Oh, the biggest drawback. They own your book and if they decide to take it out of print, out it goes and the author is back where she started wishing she had kept control of her own book, her own cover, her own promotion....you get the idea. LOL. The only reason my first two literary works are still in print is that I continue to promote them and they still sell. Though certainly not as well as they did at first!

And Robin, yes, I wrote the first section of FRUGAL for writers who haven't pubished yet, or even signed a contract. Everyone will find the ideas in that section useful, but there is a whole lot that can--and should be done--while you are writing your first book. I'm really glad I "got to you" early. You will go into the experience prepared!

Everyone, I am teaching at UCLA this weekend so I may not get back to the forum until Monday. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend!

Best,

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/20/04 04:09 PM

Franny, welcome! It's great to see you here.
[Big Grin]

Ladies, you need to run right over to Fran's site and sign up for her newsletter. Carolyn is right. For $5.00... it's a steal. [Wink]

Carolyn, thanks for the explanation. There are so many variables in the publishing industry. We need to choose the right path for ourselves and our books and have faith that we made the right choice.

From what I've read, relationships are so important. Just like any other part of our lives... the better the relationsip with our agents, publishers, editors, publicists, etc., the better our chances are of being successful. Don't you think?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/21/04 07:12 PM

Jawjaw, You asked about book signings in another topic. I know you have Carolyn's book. Have you gotten to the section on book signings yet? She tells you everything you need to do before and during the signings. Make sure you read it soon. [Wink]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/22/04 02:21 AM

I just started it today. I'm on Chapter 3 and already I've gone back and marked up some things. Good Lord...what a book! Better yet, what a Writer's Bible...

Carolyn Howard-Johnson...da Queen here is doing some bowing and scarping...you da bomb.

By the way, do you own any motels? okay, okay...couldn't resist. (teehee..)

JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/24/04 01:55 AM

Well, it certainly is good to come back and find so many great "reviews" of FRUGAL on this forum. Seriously, it makes me feel very good that FRUGAL is doing lots of good. I fell into so many publicity potholes with my first book that I'm hoping this book will help other authors avoid them--or better still, fill them up and pave them over!!!

I had a wonderful weekend. I taught a class at UCLA--Savvy Marketing for New Authors. I had the greates group of 18 students you could ask for. It is really fun teaching adults who WANT to learn.

Jawjaw (I know your real name but am not sure if you want it disseminated publicly! Ha!), now you've read the book signing chapter, do you have any questions. As you can see, like anything else, they are not a one size fits all kind of thing as many authors think they are!

I imagine this week will be slow with Boomers bringing families together for Thanksgiving. I'll keep checking back, though! [Razz] I just love all those cute little faces!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/24/04 06:22 PM

Carolyn, I'm so impressed by your energy. I have a few questions for you:

How long did it take you to write your book?

How many hours do you spend writing, promoting, and networking a week?

I know you must be working on something now. Mind telling us?

Are you happy with the financial rewards? Hope you don't mind me asking? It's something writers don't talk about too much, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, Louisa started another topic in this forum. You might want to see that too. She's asked you a question too. Thank you. [Big Grin]

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/24/04 10:14 PM

Carolyn,
I love all of the questions that Dotsie has put before you, and I'll bow to those until you are able to answer them for us, then I'll post my own. You are definetly da bomb girl. It was a good day at the ranch when Dotsie brought you to us. Thank you Dotsie! Thank you!

JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/27/04 07:07 PM

Hi, Boomers:
I hope you are all having a relaxing weekend.
Dots sie asked some questions. My answers are in caps--hope that works for you.

How long did it take you to write your book? THIS IS THE PLACE TOOK THREE YEARS. I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT WRITING A NOVEL WOULD BE LIKE, AFTER ALL, I HAD BEEN A JOURNALIST AND AN ENGLISH LIT MAJOR, RIGHT? WRONG. I HAD TO BACK TRACK, LEARN STRUCTURE, SOME SPECIAL DIALOGUE TRICKS AND A WHOLE LOT MORE. NOVELS NOW ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE CLASSICS. I PUNCHED FRUGAL OUT IN ABOUT 6 MONTHS. I UTILIZED LOTS OF ARTICLES I HAD WRITTEN ON PROMOTION FOR A TRADE MAGAZINE I WRITE FOR AND HAD MOST OF THAT INFORMATION IN MY HEAD FROM PROMOTING MY FIRST TWO BOOKS. SO IT WAS WRITING AND EDITING, MOSTLY. NOT RESEARCH.

How many hours do you spend writing, promoting, and networking a week? MORE THAN ANY OF YOU WANT TO HEAR. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO DO THAT. I WROTE FRUGAL SO THAT YOU COULD PICK AND CHOOSE AND BENEFIT FROM MY EXPERIENCE IF IT SEEMED THAT MY OPINIONS WOULD FIT YOUR PERSONALITY, TOO. (JAW,JAW, THOSE BOOK SIGNINGS! THEY'RE A PROMOTION THAT I ONLY LIKE UNDER VERY STRINGENT CONDITIONS!) REMEMBER, LADIES, WRITING (AND PROMOTING) IS NOW MY FIRST JOB--I DON'T HAVE TO JAM IT INTO A DAY JOB SCHEDULE ANY MORE.

I know you must be working on something now. Mind telling us? OHHH, I'VE GOT A BOOK OF POETRY SORT OF GOING AND A NEW NOVEL CALLED LABYRINTH THAT I HAVE WRITTEN 8 CHAPTERS OF AND THEN, WHEN I SAY I GAVE UP FICTION FOR FRUGAL, I MEAN IT. IT'S BEEN MORE THAN A YEAR SINCE I TOUCHED IT. BUT I WILL GET BACK TO IT. THE GREEK MYTH OF KING MINOS OF CRETE UNDERLIES THE PLOT. I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT BUT I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF FRUGAL'S FUTURE FIRST.

BY THE WAY, I APPRECIATE ALL THAT MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE TO SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT FRUGAL.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/27/04 07:13 PM

Louisa and Dotsie:
Oh, no, another learning curve. I awa something on shopping that Louisa started, but her new topic in this forum eludes me. Can you help? I'm not neglecting you, Louisa. It's just that forums, chats, etc. are not something I've done much of in the past--you'll note that I have no chapter on them in FRUGAL. If there is ever a FRUGAL II, this experience will help me greatly!!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/27/04 10:27 PM

Carolyn, if you click on the left side where it says "*Featured Author" you will see the topic, "Writing Grants". Click on that and you will see her question. Hope this helps.
Posted by: Kristin

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/28/04 08:15 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Why do other writers, especially women, feel the need to cut each other down? I get flak all the time because I'm not published with one of the big houses, and believe me, if anyone should be disgruntled it should be me! But I'm not. Some women writers in my experience just like to feel superior to you no matter what stage of their career. I've had many more wonderful experiences with mentors like you!

What experiences have you had and how do you deal with it?

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/28/04 03:59 PM

Ahh...excuse meeeee! I'm gonna jump in here and say something...Kristin..Where the heck you been honey? Now you go on over to the "Welcome" and intro yourself! These women need to go to your web page and check out..better yet, BUY your book.

Holy Moly! My mouth is watering, my keyboard has slobber all over it and get this, the recipes aren't hard either! They are made for da Queen here (I hate to cook, but love to eat). At least from what I saw. I can't wait to get my copy and just in time for the holidays too! Yahoo! You DO autograph the books, right? Hey...I just had a cool idea! Why not send samples of the cookies with every book purchased? hey? hey? WHAT? okay...okay...I'll quit. A girl can try, can't she? WELCOME FRIEND...there's one thing you won't find here, and that's the "big me, little you" attitude. We support each other...it's what we do.

Hugs and welcome, JJ (resident Queen)

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/28/04 04:14 PM

Kristin, I'm with jawjaw on this one. Please tell us more aobut yourself.

Also, you need to hang out in here. We never play that high almighty game in here. We truly share contacts, submission ideas, etc. If you go back and search the writer threads you'll find that many of the women in here submit and share. Several boomer women from this site have been published in many of the same publications. Right girls?

I'm happy to share that I've not run into this attitude since beginning this project. Women have been most gracious!

Welcome aboard!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/29/04 04:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Kristin, I'm with jawjaw on this one. Please tell us more aobut yourself.

Also, you need to hang out in here. We never play that high almighty game in here. We truly share contacts, submission ideas, etc. If you go back and search the writer threads you'll find that many of the women in here submit and share. Several boomer women from this site have been published in many of the same publications. Right girls?

I'm happy to share that I've not run into this attitude since beginning this project. Women have been most gracious!

Welcome aboard!

Thank you! You like me! You really like me! I wanna make love to all of you! (Okay I just channeled Roberto Benigni instead of Sally Field--disturbing.) Here's my intro:

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000095

Thank you for the warm welcome. Virtual cookies all around. I love the lack of attitude and most of the women I've met have been terrific. On this forum now too.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/29/04 04:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:
Ahh...excuse meeeee! I'm gonna jump in here and say something...Kristin..Where the heck you been honey? Now you go on over to the "Welcome" and intro yourself! These women need to go to your web page and check out..better yet, BUY your book.

Holy Moly! My mouth is watering, my keyboard has slobber all over it and get this, the recipes aren't hard either! They are made for da Queen here (I hate to cook, but love to eat). At least from what I saw. I can't wait to get my copy and just in time for the holidays too! Yahoo! You DO autograph the books, right? Hey...I just had a cool idea! Why not send samples of the cookies with every book purchased? hey? hey? WHAT? okay...okay...I'll quit. A girl can try, can't she? WELCOME FRIEND...there's one thing you won't find here, and that's the "big me, little you" attitude. We support each other...it's what we do.

Hi Your Majesty! Tell me does your Penwomanship refer to the NLAPW? I'm a member and officer of the Palm Springs Branch (the youngest)!

I'm more the writer than the baker on the project. My friend and co-author Mimi is the baker. That said, I do a mean chocolate chip cookie.

I just learned about this site from Carolyn's wonderful newsletter.

Can I speak on behalf of cookies? We all saw the insanity of Black Friday--it looked like the Pistons game (as a former Michigander, I'm disappointed). What could be a more wonderful way to celebrate a season of giving than by baking? I'm going to do it this year. It's the best thing I can think of, to give someone something you've made from your heart instead of the stuff we buy that no one really needs.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/29/04 04:11 AM

quote:

To save time I'll send you an autographed label. Reply privately with your snailmail. (You did buy the book right?)

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/30/04 03:52 PM

Cookie Queen...you da bomb. I haven't bought the book yet because I HAVE THE COMPUTER FROM HADEES...I may have a new computer in my near future. I have spent the last 36 hours trying to fix a damaged modem. UNCLE! I think I caught it from the other women here in the forum. We've had what? 3 people with problems here lately? So yes, I'm whining, but I'm also saying I've spent every waking hour on this @#$% computer.

I also have to buy a book today for a friend and get it in the mail so what better time to get yours? It IS at Books-A-Millon right? Or Barnes N Noble? I suppose if they don't have it, they can order it, or we can just buy it online? THAT IS...if we can get online? hahahah....

Enlighten me, keeper of the cookies....JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/30/04 11:45 PM

You can also call 1-800-DIAL-A-BOOK and order directly!

quote:
Cookie Queen...you da bomb. I haven't bought the book yet because I HAVE THE COMPUTER FROM HADEES...I may have a new computer in my near future. I have spent the last 36 hours trying to fix a damaged modem. UNCLE! I think I caught it from the other women here in the forum. We've had what? 3 people with problems here lately? So yes, I'm whining, but I'm also saying I've spent every waking hour on this @#$% computer.

I also have to buy a book today for a friend and get it in the mail so what better time to get yours? It IS at Books-A-Millon right? Or Barnes N Noble? I suppose if they don't have it, they can order it, or we can just buy it online? THAT IS...if we can get online? hahahah....

Enlighten me, keeper of the cookies....JJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/01/04 03:06 AM

Kristin asked about other authors' lack of support--or worse still the urge to "cut down" other authors. You know, though I'm not a psychologist, this is the subject that I explored in my first two books, THIS IS THE PLACE, and HARKENING. So, I could write another book on it. But I believe it is a poor self-image. That is related to a lack of spirituality. Like maybe these people never hear of Karma or the Judeo-Christian philosophy of doing to others as....
I try to have compassion for authors or anyone else of this mindset because they are missing so much. I can tell that you're hurting, Kristin. There is no point in telling you not to worry about it. But it is true--and we both know it--that there are so many more giving women and authors out there with heart than without.
Stiff upper lip, girl!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/01/04 03:08 AM

See, we find two supportive women for Kristin (like Dots and Jaw Jaw) and probably a whole lot more more for every one who isn't. Yeah!! Boomer women. Seems you're in the right place now, Kristin.
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/01/04 03:58 AM

Carolyn,
I just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed your posts. Am learning a lot Thanks.
Kristin this is the place for you believe me these gals are the nicest and helpful.
They let me hang out in here mostly in the crafts dept.
Maggie
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/02/04 03:11 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to be with us. I appreciate your help and look forward to reading your book very soon.

We hear a lot these days about the Print on Demand shops that are cropping up around the country and how that's an avenue for new authors since the publishing world is so innundated with people who want to get published. I'm curious if you have any insight into how POD books are really perceived by book store managers and others "in the know" in the publishing world. I once had a book store manager tell me that she would not allow POD authors to hold signings in her store. There still seems to be so much stigma around POD/self-publishing even though all of us can think of examples of wonderful authors who had to get their start that way, and some of the POD companies boast that many of their authors ink traditional contracts after their POD book has sold X number of copies.

Thanks in advance for your comments, and continued succcess with all your endeavors.

Best regards,
Kelly

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/02/04 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn Howard-Johnson:
Kristin asked about other authors' lack of support--or worse still the urge to "cut down" other authors. You know, though I'm not a psychologist, this is the subject that I explored in my first two books, THIS IS THE PLACE, and HARKENING. So, I could write another book on it. But I believe it is a poor self-image. That is related to a lack of spirituality. Like maybe these people never hear of Karma or the Judeo-Christian philosophy of doing to others as....
I try to have compassion for authors or anyone else of this mindset because they are missing so much. I can tell that you're hurting, Kristin. There is no point in telling you not to worry about it. But it is true--and we both know it--that there are so many more giving women and authors out there with heart than without.
Stiff upper lip, girl!

Stiff as frosted cookies! I know that there are wonderful supportive women, especially on this board! Love and cookies to you all!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/02/04 10:50 PM

Kelly asked, "I'm curious if you have any insight into how POD books are really perceived by book store managers and others "in the know" in the publishing world. I once had a book store manager tell me that she would not allow POD authors to hold signings in her store.

Isn't this realted to prejudice in general. People are judged by their weight, their color, their relgion, whether or not they smoke. Books are judge by their cover, the press they are printed on and if a typo is found within its pages.
As the major publishers use POD presses--and they are doing that more and more,by the way--there will be less prejudice about them. And POD should not be confused with subsidy publish. Everyone is doing that. POD just means the book is printed on a press that doesn't require miniumum runs to make them profitable. So, on a POD press, a printer can run off one copy or thousands.

Now, about those bookstores. There is a wonderful book out (Google it!) called Bookstores are the the best Place to Sell Books or something like that. It is right on. Bookstores insist on the right to return books (one of the beefs they have with POD presses is this returbable issue). Bookstores don't pay freight. Bookstores have so much compeition for each book within their walls that your book may not even be seen. Enter (sorry about this) THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER that teaches authors not only how to promote but talks about other places and ways to SELL books. I've yet to figure out why authors are so eager to prostrate themselve for a horribly unsatisfying book signing or placement of their books! There are many small bookstores that WANT you and will promote the heck out of you. Also think about catalog sales, corporate sales, coffeeshop and other retail sales, selling online, etc. etc. Details are in FRUGAL, Boomers. We shouldn't sit and take bad treatment from our publisher, our publicist or bookstores. We can take our own future (and that of our book)into our own hands.

Whew! What a soapbox!!

You guys! I will be in Palm Springs this week. I'll check back and answer questions when I get back on Dec. 6th. Dotsie may be kicking me off then but I'll try to make up for the lost days, if she'll let me.

Love,
Posted by: Dian

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/04/04 12:00 AM

Hey everybody, Carolyn is featured at Writers Crossing today.

Love the picture!

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/05/04 08:48 AM

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out for us Dian.

Ladies, we're winding down with Carolyn today. Any last minute questions on promoting your books?

If you haven't bougth her book yet...do it now so you can get the free media kit offer! It ends today.

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 12/08/04 01:35 AM

Dian:
I'm glad I visited this thread one last time. I didn't know the Book Crossing interview was up. Thank you for that!
Ijust wanted you all to know what a pleasure it was to get to know you and thank you for your time and sharing.

Best,
Carolyn
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 10/16/05 05:53 PM

Carolyn, I'll be meeting you in person next March. I'm signed up for the Erma Bombeck Humor Writers' Conference next March! Can't wait!

Donna
Posted by: Raven West

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/12/05 10:00 PM

Carolyn,

If you don't mind, I'll send your email promo of your book over to my yahoo egroup of Print On Demand authors. We have over 800 members and I'm sure they would benefit from your book. (Not the free kit part, only the book)

In this age when the P.R. dept of most publishers is gone, it is vital for authors, even "best selling" authors to know how to get themselves out there.

I've written several articles on the subject "The Road to Riches" column for Amazing Author's Showcase which can be found on my website:

http://ravenwest.net

Under the Articles link.

All the best success.
Raven West
author
First Class Male
Red Wine For Breakfast

Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson - 11/14/05 08:31 AM

Raven, Carolyn was a psat featured author. You may want to email her your comment through the site because she hasn't been here lately.