Posted by: Di

Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/06/06 03:23 PM

Wondering.....

I may have some questions later.

Thanks!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/06/06 04:39 PM

No, sorry.

This is miserable to post, but the only person I knew who worked for the railroad was killed on the job when he was in his early 20s.
Posted by: Di

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/06/06 04:45 PM

Yes, I've heard stories like that.

yeah, it's sad...probably back when unions/regulations/dept. of transportion did not crack down on safety issues.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/06/06 05:16 PM

When we lived in Fox Lake, Illinois a resort town, my husband had a bar right next to the railroad not 50 feet away so we got to know all the railroad workers pretty well. They were always talking shop, retirement, hours, situations with funny customers etc., Some pretty nice guys.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/07/06 06:16 AM

Hi, Di: Railroad employee as in one who looks after the track or driving trains? One of my friends drives a train part-time and is a lawyer the rest of the week. He is living out a childhood dream and has been at it for two years now. The funny thing is, very few of his colleagues actually knows what he does the rest of the week when he is out of either work environment.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/07/06 07:05 PM

Lola, we have a friend who is an optometrist, but plays in an Irish band with his brothers. He calls himself a cursed musician. He's much rather play music full-time and practice optometry occasionally, but, music doesn't pay the bills. I like hearing what people's hobbies are.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/08/06 12:50 PM

Hi, Dotsie: Is'nt it wonderful that they can pursue both? I'd love to be able to do that if only I could. As it is I need "25-hour days, 8-day weeks and a self-cleaning house". I would'nt mind driving a train as well. At least, I am guaranteed a seat when I go to work! Hope you're feeling much better.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? - 10/08/06 10:47 PM

My husband is a freight train engineer (drives the train and blows the horn that everyone hates to hear) for CSX. He's 3rd generation RR and has worked for 32 years for the RR. He can retire in 5 years...he can't wait.