worldcom victim trust

Posted by: Saundra

worldcom victim trust - 11/08/06 11:33 PM

So, when I was in Los Angeles (the valley) and had a good job and a life...I invested in Worldcom, a then great company. You all probably know what happened - fraud! And Ken Lay died instead of going to prison. I lost $3,000.00. Today I received a check for $100.00 which is my payoff for being a victim. Apparently, fraud is calculated on a sliding scale. If I had invested closer to the time they were caught I would have received way more settlement money.

This is in addition to losing a lot more money in the stock market crash in/around 2000. Too stressful to remember. No more investing for me. I have an annuity that is guaranteed and that's the riskiest I will go. Anyone have a similar story?
Posted by: Saundra

Re: worldcom victim trust - 11/09/06 12:51 AM

Anne, a Victim Trust was formed. There were almost 500,000 claims covering 9 million transactions in securities. Losses totaled over $12 BILLION and the Trust is paying out over $750 million to victims. People lost their entire 401Ks, life savings, etc. My loss was nothing compared to those who had worked for the company and lost everything.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: worldcom victim trust - 11/09/06 08:57 AM

Oh yes, Saundra, I go the secure way as well. We experienced a big dive two years ago. Our stock broker said we should wait it out. Well, I got cold feet, and told him to sell everything. We invested in low risk stocks. Not much money in it, but I sleep better. (by the way, those stocks never recovered...so much for the stock broker's advice, the own gut feeling is always the best.)