How do you feel about living with roomies?

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

How do you feel about living with roomies? - 05/04/14 10:14 PM

I know we've talked about "co-housing" in the past. But I was recently asked my opinion on this article from the LA Times about single Boomers sharing a home.

It seems to be the consensus of people who analyze the lifestyles of those of us who are single and 50+, that taking in a roommate can make sense -- from both a financial and mental/emotional health point of view.

Here's a link to the LinkedIn discussion I've been a part of.

I have to say, the ladies who share a home on the show "Hot in Cleveland," seem to make this work. But of course, that's a silly fiction.

What do you think? Could you home share if you found yourself without a partner? Would you?
Posted by: orchid

Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? - 05/04/14 10:54 PM

For financial survival, perhaps I would find it ok, but not totally thrilled..but as mentioned in the other thread in boomerwomenspeak here, I really would need my own tiny apartment or area, but would be willing to share food, heating expenses...and a cleaning person for common areas. I would want to do my own cooking. This is one area where I can see some very specific preferences and it would be hard to reach a compromise because of divergent palates, tastes and health/medical conditions.

As for psychological support/reasons, no. I have lived single for chunks of my life. This is why it's so important I live near services, shops...not way out in the 'burbs where it's more isolating and hard to get to local events, etc.

So it's probably easiest to live with siblings who we can get mad at each other (for being messy) but make amends later. This is how it works in my own family. But that's not true with roomies/friends. It's not the same.
Posted by: Di

Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? - 05/04/14 11:40 PM

I've never lived with anyone but family (siblings) and husband. Not sure......It'd have to be a really great friend.
Posted by: jabber

Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? - 05/04/14 11:54 PM

Sharing a home sounds like a great idea, both for companionship and financial buttressing.