Update on step-grandparenting

Posted by: Di

Update on step-grandparenting - 04/12/13 12:48 AM

Well, I'm in full swing of the "nunna" stage. Our girls, already 7 and 5 crazy , always look forward to my visit.

I do my best to make it a fun time...making it a point to get them thinking, doing for others, helping out, learning new things....and enjoying life as little girls. And always new soap for bathtime!

Tired when I go home but that goes with the territory.

My stepdaughter is definitely a full-time mother. Many things she says she "did not sign up for" in jest! A very busy day, every day. From driving both girls to/from two different schools, packing lunches, snacks, waters. Midday meal planning, shopping and "home" work. Then pick up again...two different schools, two different times.

Wow! I'm kinda glad I missed all that!!

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Update on step-grandparenting - 04/12/13 06:58 PM

Hi Di,

I'm so glad you're enjoying being a grandmother. I love the things you are doing with the girls. And I know they love it, too!

I was a full-time mother for a couple of years. First when my daughter was born, though I "retired" when she was born. The retirement lasted less than a year, as my husband eventually told me everyone in the family would be happier if I went back to work. then I stayed home again for two years when my son was born.

Being a F/T mom IS a more than full-time job! It's 24/7... And no financial compensation. Sometimes little emotional benefit, either.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Update on step-grandparenting - 04/17/13 12:45 AM

Anne, I think it's psychologically tough at times, for full time mothers who choose not to work outside home AND when the mother is university/college-educated. Because she is totally aware that she has skills, knowledge that has nothing to do with parenting, but not being used.

And children don't truly express fully /understand fully stresses/workload of parenting for many years, until they move away from home. No matter how good /well-behaved the child is.

That's one thing about blogging....a parent has an outlet if they want to take advantage of writing to their heart's content.