National Caregivers Month is here

Posted by: LGood67334

National Caregivers Month is here - 11/17/09 07:52 PM

Did you know that November is National Caregivers Month? Whether you are a caregiver for a spouse, parent, child, special needs child, or yourself, I'd love to know how you are celebrating. What are you doing to carve out some time and honor yourself? How are you a caregiver to your step-children?

B. Lynn Goodwin
www.writeradvice.com
Author of You Want Me to Do WHAT? Journaling for Caregivers
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/20/09 01:06 AM

This is funny that I should read this now. I'm gearing up to go spend the night with Dad tonight. It's my turn.

I haven't thought of a way to celebrate that I'm a caregiver, but why not. Maybe Ross and I will go to dinner to celebrate becasue we are both doing some caregiving for our fathers. Hey, I like that idea.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/20/09 11:48 PM

I have been a caregiver for my sister, my DIL, and even my ex and to me it should be caregivers day, every day. A month is not nearly enough to honor them.

I am so in awe of anyone like Anno, who does this daily, 24/7, and still finds a way to lead a fairly normal life. I bow down to those who give so much of themselves without reward.
Posted by: Anno

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/21/09 11:05 PM

Aw, shucks, gosh darn. I am blushing and smiling and tearing up all at the same time!

I feel blessed, in so many ways, and I am happy that I am mature enough to not go down the wrong path. I also will admit that there are days that I do grouch and go to the dark side. But it's not much fun there - I would rather be happy.

And there is reward, Chatty. I feel happy that I am able to give of myself to someone, without resentment. Another of my greatest rewards is sharing myself through my blog and with our story.
Posted by: jabber

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/22/09 09:34 PM

I bow down to all caregivers, too. And there is a certain
consolation in doing what's right. It makes a person feel good
inside, proud of themselves, and stronger, somehow. Kudos to the
caregivers of the world!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/22/09 11:31 PM

Anne, I totally believe that it's in giving that we receive. However, I can certainly understand Anno and others like her having those tough days. We're only human. Everyone needs a break in the action every now and then.

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/23/09 02:06 PM

I agree, wholeheartedly!
Posted by: Anno

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/24/09 12:00 AM

Isn''t it wonderful to be wanted? I applaud you, Anne.

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 11/25/09 01:40 AM

Anne,
A rapid, constant turnover of employees, indicates there are rotten apples in the core of the business they're working 4.

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 12/03/09 08:57 PM

Dotsie,

I hope the celebration was wonderful. I'd love to hear about it.

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 12/03/09 09:00 PM

Anne327,

I had no idea the caregiver turnover rate is so high. No wonder my mother's doctor told me if I hired caregivers they might not show up. Very illuminating. Also very sad. The good news is that awareness has improved, and I hope that will lead to action. Thanks for sharing this information.

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 12/03/09 09:02 PM

Jabber,

I think you nailed it. Employees who are valued and honored last. Those who are not soon turn elsewhere. Thanks for stating this so clearly. I'd love to see the rotten apples work elsewhere. Garbage collection springs to mind.

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 01/02/10 01:37 AM

Now thats just sick! Here, they do such strict background checks it would be hard to do that unless you just turned into a thief.

Re: National Caregivers Month is here - 01/08/10 03:26 PM

On the other hand, I've had the honor of meeting some of the
most wonderful people in the world who are caregivers. It's a
difficult job, caring for some elderly folks. Some of 'em hit the people caring for them; some of the residents yell at the
aids and nurses. And it appears to me that most caregivers are
simply awesome humans. God bless those who really try to do
a good job!!!!