Step-grandparenting

Posted by: jawjaw

Step-grandparenting - 10/05/09 07:27 PM

You know, I never thought I could open myself up to STEP grandparenting, but I have. My son and his SO have a child (not my son's) and she is around for all of the family "stuff," and visits on occasion. She's older than my grandbeauties, and they adore her. She's such a sweet child. I find myself loving her.

I remember my EX being cruel to my son's toward the end of our marriage and always wondered how on earth he could be cruel to anyone's children, period. I think now it was a way to hurt me. Nonetheless, it has always worried me that I too might feel differently towards steps....not the case at all.

Just sharing....boy, am I in a reflective mood today or what?
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Step-grandparenting - 10/05/09 08:02 PM

You are enrichening your life JJ, by loving with an open heart.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Step-grandparenting - 10/06/09 01:00 AM

A woman the other day said to me that of all her seven children, her three step children were the ones she loved most and knows they loved her the most as well... Kind of answers that question. I find it easy to love any child no matter who she/he belongs to. But that also depends on the behavior of that child, I can't stand mouthy or bratty kids, no matter who they belong to...
Posted by: Dee

Re: Step-grandparenting - 10/16/09 07:41 PM

The only grandchildren I will have are my step-grandchildren. I adore them and the only fear I have is later, somewhere down the road, my husband's ex-wife (their real grandmother) trying to plant a seed in their minds about me in a negative light. She did it with my husbands daughter (who is an adult)...because she was jealous of me and Larry and Larry's daughter will hardly speak to us and comes around once a year...to get her christmas present. It's sad. I believe that my step-DIL will intervene if she sees this happening. These grandchildren mean the world to me and I hope that they will always look to me as their Mammaw.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Step-grandparenting - 10/16/09 07:43 PM

JJ...I meant to say good for you for loving those children. I love how you're reflecting about things...it keeps us grounded and in touch with our feelings.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Step-grandparenting - 10/16/09 09:45 PM

Dee, you have been in these younger kids life now for sometime and a very active, loving graqndmother. Keep up the good work because maybe an older child can be influenced negatively by lies but these you nger kids will know the difference and NOT able to be influenced easily at all. Keep up being that wonderful grandmom you are and they will never forget that. Kids are smarter than given credit for.