Why dogs make better book cover pictures...

Posted by: madhatter

Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/04/07 10:16 PM

After my first novel was accepted for publication, my editor asked for an author picture for the book. She suggested an informal pose with one of my animals. Well, I have a golden retriever mix and two cats. First, I tried pictures with the cats. Both had their ears flattened down and wore expressions (as close as cats come to such) of utter disdain, as if I was squeezing the life from them. Not exactly the way I wanted to come across.

Then, I had several taken with my dog. She loves the camera. I promise you; she looks like she's smiling the moment someone points a camera her way.

Suppose you can guess which of my pets made it to the book...
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/04/07 10:27 PM

Ha ha, you gave me a good chuckle about the cat ears, mad.
My dog loves the camera also.

chick
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 10:59 AM

My two Yorkies run like he--, when I get the camera. Go figure! Guess they're camera shy like their mom, well I am!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 12:38 PM

My little cat was a star...she liked hrr picture taken.It seemed she knew what was up.
Mountain ash
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 01:26 PM

A photo of one of my cats made it into our local paper but she had most of her back to the lens so I don't know if this counts.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 03:16 PM

One year, I had a picture taken with my two dogs and Santa. They were a Great Dane and a English Mastiff. Over 400 lbs of dog. Santa was exhausted when we finally got a good shot of them.
Posted by: Laurel

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 05:14 PM

Chatty,
My Boston Terrier hates his picture taken. We've taken so many of him he knows what the camera is and starts looking down. I think the flash bothers him. It makes me see spots and I think maybe that's what he doesn't like.

If we bribe him with a doggy cookie he'll usually let us take his picture.

Laurel
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Why dogs make better book cover pictures... - 02/05/07 08:39 PM

Jack knows about the camera and so far, likes to have his picture taken. But, if I take too many, he'll get up and move away.

Bailey doesn't really care whether I take pictures of him or not. He just goes about doing his thing.