I finally reserved a puppy!!

Posted by: Bluebird

I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 09:45 PM

We made the final decision about getting a Golden Retriever pup! Aspen will be be born to Reba and Moses around March 10th. and we will be going to pick her up around May 5th. That gives us plenty of time to get ready for her arrival. It's like expecting a baby, but I'm not getting more stretch marks (although I have been feeling queasy in the morning!)I sent the family a deposit via Paypal (it is so 21st. century)and they will be emailing us pictures periodically. They are a big Christian family and they raise the pups as their own. They get 2 sets of shots, they are dewormed, housebroken (yay!) and checked thoroughly by a vet, especially their hips. They also give you 2 days after pick up to have them checked by your own vet and if anything is wrong, they will replace or refund.
I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited!
If anyone wants to check our their website, it's:
www.sixthdayranch.com
Posted by: Dianne

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 10:01 PM

Oh my gosh, they are darling. I bet your arms are aching to hold her. Congrats new mommy.
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 10:04 PM

Oh...how absolutly precious. Nothing like the smell of a puppy. They are sooooo cute.

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 10:11 PM

Would you believe I'm 46+ years old and I've never had a puppy??? Except when my own dog (adopted from a shelter as a full grown dog) had several litters. But of course, I never got to keep any of them. What I remember most about having them just born, is what my friend and I used to call "puppy breath". It is a unique smell to new, little puppies. Must be from the
breast milk.
I can't wait to go shopping for her little bowls and her collar and leash!!
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 10:28 PM

Not sure what the smell is but...it's wonderful.
During childhood I had dogs, but, we moved so much I never got to keep any.

That's different now...Bridgett has been with me since she was a puppy, she is now 12. They just get closer and closer to your heart.

They have the cutest rhinestone collars... (pink no less) at PetSmart...saw them the other day.
Posted by: ladybug

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 11:15 PM

My neighbor has two golden retrievers named Buddy and Joe. They are the sweetest, gentlest dogs and a perfect choice for you Bluebird.

Did you choose a name yet?

[ January 25, 2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/25/06 11:56 PM

Her full AKC name will be Aspen Gold, but we will call her Aspen.

[ January 25, 2006, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 12:14 AM

Brenda, we don't have a Petsmart or Petco anywhere near us. When I was in NY last week, we stopped at a Petco and saw all those fancy collars! I'm not really the pink rhinestone type myself. I will be on the look out for something more southwestern, preferably handmade. I'm sure in my town, I won't have a problem!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 12:52 AM

Congratulations Bluebird! They are beautiful pups and I'm sure you will have a new bestgirlfriend!

I bought Daisy's collar (daisys of course) from a website called Waggytails. They are leather and have different types of metal thingies on them, such as flowers, flags, hearts, bones. You can get the leather in many colors. Daisy has the black leather with colored flowers - she is the diva.

I was at the petstore one day and a couple had their baby boxer there. They were having a disagreement because the wife wanted a rinestone collar, but the guy wanted a more dog-like collar. She was a rescue dog and had been mistreated, but now was lucky enough to have her owners arguing over her "outfit".

Daisygirl

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 12:55 AM

Cool! Thanks, Daisy. Going to check out Waggytails.
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 12:59 AM

Congratulations, Bluebird. All the Golden Retrievers I've known were wonderful, sweet-natured doggies!

I would love to have a puppy. But my cat Cha-Cha would not understand, spoiled thing that she is!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 01:12 AM

Bluebird call 1-800-872-3773 and PETsMART will add you to their catalog list. Or go to www.petsmart.com
Now I order the puppy pads in the 100 count box. At their stores they cost $31.00 but in the catalog they are only $19.99 for exactlt the same thing. If you have a catalog however and go to the store with it in hand, they have to honor the catalog prices on ALL the items.....So glad we talked and you decided to wait for this new puppy, you won't regret it for sure, well maybe a little, ask Smile who is experiencing the "big three" puppy potty problems. [Big Grin] [Wink] LOL

[ January 25, 2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 01:18 AM

Thanks, Chatty! I'm glad we talked, also, because now it feels so right. I know we'll be ready.
Going to go check out petsmart.com
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 02:29 AM

Hello, this is wonderful, we all love pups and they all deserve wonderful homes, but please also considering adopting a rescued puppy. This country kills 20 million healthy dogs and cats a year because of no home. Puppies are frequently given up to animal control after unexpected litters from unsterilized strays or dogs are born. Over 50% of dogs that end up in animal control are pure breeds. Also, I read where there are tons of puppies and kittens being born to the dogs and cats left behind from Katrina. So please, consider adoption, also. There are so many in need.

Kelly

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 02:37 AM

Kelly, the reason we decided on a puppy is that our 8 year old is so afraid of dogs. We knew if he had one that started out small, he'd be able to handle it better.
Our local humane society had advertised that they had Golden puppies rescued from Katrina but by the time I saw the ad and called, they were all spoken for and there was a waiting list, besides!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 04:04 AM

BB, Didn't you say this was your first puppy? I think you said a long time ago that you were thinking of getting one, if I remember correctly. I think everyone should have one puppy in their lifetime.

Daisygirl

Re: I finally reserved a puppy!! - 01/26/06 04:21 AM

Yes, but then we decided to wait till spring.