Sheltie or Border Collie?

Posted by: Lynn

Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/26/05 04:43 PM

Hello Friends,

Our family is CONSIDERING getting a dog. We have lived with dogs and cats our entire lives excpet the past 3 - 4 years and I have to admit I love the lack of shedding and no poop. [Roll Eyes]

Alas, the youngest is an animal lover and we are too except we are old enough now not to want to deal with the poop. I love walking barefoot in the grass! [Big Grin]

Anyway, we are consdering a sheltie or border collie. Any comments on training or living with this breed? Our son is six going on seven and loves dogs that are smaller (no labs) and are more on the quiet side (no jumping and slathering) You know, a real friend type dog.

We have always obtained our dogs from the SPCA but if we are looking for a specific breed, how do we find a breeder close by?

Any tips or info you would like to pass on about these breeds is greatly appreciated.

Lynn [Smile]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/27/05 07:20 AM

Lynn, both of these breeds are excellent dogs. The Sheltie is much smaller but adequate size for a boy your sons age, they are usually a much gentler and quieter dog although frisky and playful.....Border Collies are usually larger and are a working breed so much livelier, need plenty of space and love to run....Larger dogs have larger stool...You should designate a portion of the yard preferably near the back where the dog is allowed to do its business. While a pup, walk him/her there and make certain thats where they go. This will become a habit and save your lawn and walks barefoot as well. I would put some small stone gravel in the area so the dog knows the difference from the rest of the lawn....Always try the SPCA first, especially now with so many dogs needing good homes...

[ September 26, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: rallygirl

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/26/05 08:09 PM

Lynn: As the owner and lover of Shelties I am probably a bit prejudiced, but they are the BEST! They are smart, loving, and playful but not so rambunctious (sp?) that they overwhelm. There is a website everythingsheltie.com that can lead you to breeders in your area. PA is a good state for a sheltie as they like a cooler climate (as opposed to say, Florida). Unfortunately as wonderful a breed as they are -- they do poop!
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/27/05 01:49 AM

Hi Lyn,

I have a Border Collie that I rescued and I can tell you that they typically do NOT do well with small children. The reason is they have a very strong herding tendency (they are used as sheep herders in other countries) and young children tend to get herded like sheep and sometimes nipped by Border Collies.

Also, Border Collies are the Number one dog in America to be DUMPED (just like my dog was) by their families because they are smart as all get-out and need a "job"-- this is why you see so many Border Collies in those agility competitions, because they have to have an organized outlet for their energy or they get very, very destructive. Most families are not equipped to deal with the high energy of a pure breed border collie.

Also, please consider adopting a dog from a rescue group or a shelter and not buying from a breeder. This country kills 20 million healthy dogs and cats every year simply because there are not enough homes. Sheltie and Border Collie rescue programs abound-- all you have to do is look on the internet, or go to your local PetSmart and ask them to help you find a group. The rescue people will be more than happy to help you find the perfect dog for your family. I can help you find a group if you need me to.

Best,
Kelly

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/27/05 04:26 AM

Kelly I think I love you, no I know I do....We need more people like you in this world. [Razz]

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/27/05 04:38 AM

Aw shucks. I'm blushing here.... [Big Grin]
Posted by: MontanaBoomer

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 07:11 AM

Kelly - great advice!!!! A Border Collie can be a handful.
We have several thousand sheep and lots (8-10) of Border Collies who wake up every day and know they have a job to do!! I receive one or two calls a month from people in a nearby town that have a Border Collie that is too much and they want to know if we need another dog. It is very sad. This breed wants to be useful and can get crazy if the outlet is not provided.
I've seen Border Collies used very successfully in Agility Trials and in Companion Programs. You must provide alot of structure and give this dog a purposeful day to day lifestyle.
I don't have any personal experience with a Sheltie, except they seem a little less hyper - have seen them excel in Agility.
In closing, if you are set on a B.C., please read Donald McCaig's "Nop's Trials" first.
Posted by: LeAnn

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 10:57 AM

I've had Shelties for nearly 30 years, and they are *the best* companion dogs. The Sheltie I have now, Pixie, came from the Wisconsin Sheltie Rescue. I agree with Kelly. See if you can find a rescue group. They will help you find a dog that's right for you and your family.

Best wishes in your search!
LeAnn
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 05:36 PM

Have any of you tried the blue or black light urine detector? I just ordered it. I can't get the old Greyhound we adopted housebroken so I'm continually cleaning up after him. I thought this new gadget might help.
Posted by: Danita

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 06:01 PM

Dianne,

How will the gadget help?

Does anyone have any great ideas on getting "pee spots" out of the carpet (dog pee, of course). LOL.

I have an old Lhasa Apso who just pees for spite. She has never been well housebroken.

My new shepherd/heeler mix hasn't had an accident in the house since she was a pup.

Is it me, or are some breeds better about doing their duties outside - or is it temperment of individial dogs, and training?

danita

[ September 29, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Danita ]

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 08:26 PM

The light detects urine and it comes with a cleaner that they say is guaranteed to get rid of the urine, smell and all.

I've found it nearly impossible to train my Italian Greyhound. They hate the cold so refuse to go outside if the weather is bad. I've carried them outside and stood there and they run back to the door.

I've been on my hands and knees this morning looking for dog pee. He's been hiking his leg on the side of my sofa. Geesh. He's too old to discipline.
Posted by: jwf213

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/29/05 10:04 PM

I agree with the assessment on Border Collies. They really need to work to stay content. You mentioned no shedding...have you considered a bearded collie? Medium sized, no shed(hair), wonderful temperment, very intelligent, also in the herding family.

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/30/05 04:52 AM

Well I use th pee-pee training pads I get from PetsMart 100 in a box for $20.00 (in the catalog.) They are suppose to have a smell that attracts the dogs yet people can't smell anything. The dogs all won't pee anywhere in the house but there on the pads, when they are not outside. Males are hyarder to train because of leg lifting but try the pads. I use vinegar and water if there is an accident with a new dog I'm boarding. It kills any pee-pee odor and the stain too....They also have larger pee-pee pads.
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/30/05 06:33 AM

Kelly, you gave good advice. Lots of people say they are interested in getting a weimaraner because they are beautiful dogs, but I always tell them that they are a handful and they also need a job or to be allowed to run every day if possible. If they get bored, they will eat the bark off of a tree, or a bush or the trim of a shed, or your favorite shoes. Then they end up in a shelter. Whatever breed you are interested in, you should talk to several owners, research AND realize any puppy will require a lot of your time and attention and will be a handful until they're 2 years old at least.

Daisygirl
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/30/05 03:26 PM

LeAnn, I visited your site and loved reading your blog. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! I love Shelties. I have friends who rescued two of them. Precious, sweet, sweet dogs. Do Sophia and Pixie get along?

JJ

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 09/30/05 06:42 PM

My daughter has a Shelty. Just the sweetest dog.
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 10/01/05 03:24 AM

Thanks for all the great interest!!!

We have decided on a sheltie after doing more research on temperment. Our shelties in the past have had a little border collie mixed in. So both breeds where on the table but the herding instinct and the repeated warnings about giving the dog a job to do rang true.

Now all we have to do is wait until we find the right one.

Lynn

Re: Sheltie or Border Collie? - 10/02/05 04:10 PM

I forgot to mention on my last post that I have a couple of articles online about dog selection and how to go about it at Garden and Hearth--

http://gardenandhearth.com/FamilyFun/adopt-dog.htm

and

http://gardenandhearth.com/FamilyFun/myths-dog.htm

Certainly not a comprehensive overview but it gets the basic info out there, so feel free to refer people who are "shopping" for dogs to those articles.

Best,
Kelly