Love my American Eskimo

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Love my American Eskimo - 06/09/04 08:25 PM

I read a short poll today that asked questions like, Do you treat your pet like family? Do you buy presents for your pet? Do you take your pet on holiday? Does your pet sleep with you? ... stuff like that.. and I was answering yes to all their questions.

So, I agree, there's a fine line between loving your pet and obsession, but I don't feel like I've crossed it.

We had our first American Eskimo for 11 years and she died of cancer. We waited 2 years before getting a new puppy (Jack), who is 9 months old now. My husband and I both adore him and we dote on him as much as possible. Is he spoied? Yep, probably. But he still must behave. Which he does! So, it's not like he gets away with anything.

Now, how do you feel about your pet? Is your pet a part of your family? What lengths would you go to make sure he had his favorite food or toy?

Jack and I are wondering . . .
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 12:41 AM

Hi Jack, we haven't spoken to you before but our names are Reeta and Rosee and we are spoiled 7 year old Yorkshire Terriers. We have the run of the house and special chairs in moms car so we can see out the windows. We sleep with our mom too. She has a huge bed and so we can really stretch out. Today moms check came and our things were the first on the list. Our mom says she would not eat until we are fed. Since we're small and can't go out unless shes there, we have special piddle pads in case of emergencies.
We see our beautician every 5 weeks to remain breathtaking to the visitors we have. Oh yes, our mother works for orphan animals and finds them homes too. Right now we have a step sister staying here till she gets alittle older, her name is Tulip and shes a funny looking little dog mom calls a skunk. We have endured a donkey. numerous birds, a couple of goats and lots of dogs, cats and kittens. We don't mind sharing our space but are a bit fussy about the attention the OTHERS get. Mom says we are the Queens of the house.....nice to meet you Jack..... [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 04:34 AM

Yo Jack,
Names Trixie, a.k.a. Trixster and I'm a writer. You can check out my web page at http://www.queenjawjaw.com. Am I smart? Well, I ain't the one paying for the website...

Now, I like walks on the beach, doggy treats, warm blankets in the winter, Klondike ice cream, and my neighbors back steps. I won't EVEN tell you what I leave for those snotty people...hmp! Say, would you like to see my etchings?

eeeekkkk! Here comes the Queen, gotta run for now...Hugs and X X X

TRIXIE
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 05:04 AM

Hi Jack,

Welcome, I am Boots and my little (sister) is Lady, I am a big dog, I think I am a beagle lab mix, though Mom thought she was getting a Beatle Terrier mix. Mom has me on this diet, she thinks that since she is on one that I should be too.

Lady is a Shi-Tzu and little, she thinks she is the queen of the household. We both sleep with Mom after Dad goes to work.

I hate it when they put us in restriction. I sure wish they didn't have to work and could stay home for us. Mom says she can't quit her day job on the money she is making writing right now.

Glad to meet you all, hope we have some good times together!

Boots and Lady

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 06:49 PM

Wow, so many fun new friends to play with. Hello Reeta and Rosee, Trixie, Boots and Lady.

You all sound like you have wonderful mommies.

Reeta and Rosee, you get all kinds of fun visitors that stay over. I like mommy's visitors. They sure taste yummy! Mommy doesn't let me out to play with her visitors very much unless I promise to behave myself. I tend to get very excited and sometimes I'm possessive. No one should be here to take my mommy's time from me.

Trixie, you sound like a fun girl... I bet you could get me in a lot of trouble..

Boots and Lady, I'm so sorry that you have to be on restriction while your mommy and daddy are away. I get to keep my mommy with me all day long. I would be lost without her. Sometimes she goes away for quick trips to the grocery store or the bank, but she leaves me little treats in my crate to know she loves me. Lots of times she brings me home treats too. My daddy says I'm spoiled, but I hear mommy tell him that I'm just well loved. [Smile]

Wednesday's and Thursday's are my favorite days of the week. I get to strut my stuff and really show how much I protect the house from they pool cleaners. The pool cleaner comes on Wednesday and the pool service guy comes on Thursday. I know it drives my mommy crazy but I just love to bark and bark. This is my house darn it, and my back yard. They shouldn't be here.

When I'm feeling calm, I like to lay on my pillow next to mommy's chair while she works on her computer. I can see out the window and watch the birds, squirrels, and lizards. Of course each one gets a bark from me to ket them know they must leave my back yard immediately.

My favorite place in the whole world is sitting spread out across my mommy's legs. She will sit in bed when she's not feeling well and prop her legs up on a pillow. Then I lay on top of them, making sure she stays warm.

I like to hear from you, so write back when you can.

Jack
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 08:53 PM

My name is Diz and I'm an Italian Greyhound. I'll turn six next month. Yes, I sleep with Dianne and must share affection with a crazy, three-year old African Gray Parrot, who talks all the time! We also have an outdoor cat, well a garage cat, that barely tolerates my presence. We are all quite spoiled but isn't that what you're supposed to do with us? [Smile]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/10/04 09:26 PM

Diz...we're neighbors! I'm only about an hour to an hour and a half away from Nashville!

Maybe we could share a biscuit or two some time...

Trixie

uh oh...here comes her royal pain...she's already told me if she catchs one more paw print on her precious keyboard, I'm outta here...<lick, lick, lick> There you go! Clean as a whistle...

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 02:43 AM

Hi Diz!!

You have to share your mommy? Wow!! How hard is that? And with a bird and a cat? How do you do it?

You're a greyhound? I bet you're really pretty.

I have tons of white hair and I like it when my mommy brushes me. I don't like it when she trims my nails though.

Trixie, how do you get time to use your mommy's computer? I wait for my mommy to get up and take a break, then I go for it. So far, she hasn't figured it out. [Smile]

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 03:07 AM

Quite honestly? I wait till I hear the pitter patter of her heavy feet going down the hallway to bed...or...to the refrigerator..hahah...ahem.

Here's a tip...don't eat banana popcicles while you're writing...ick! what a mess..and that's a fact Jack!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 05:35 AM

My Mommy works during the day and my restriction is the kitchen and her office....so, I know when she will be home, and when she goes to bed.

Boots
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 06:50 AM

Is there a LINE?????

Dave has been known to drive to Wal-Mart, across two mountains, 15 miles one way at midnight, to buy Rings, our old cat now deceased, her favorite flavor of Bryers ice cream.

We're having a king size bed made so the dogs can sleep with us. I'm bartering wedding photography for the bed.

Zoe, our almost hairless especially in the wintertime, Devon Rex cat has an electric heating pad in her basket. The heating pad stays on 24/7/365.

Dave will buy that Japanese raw fish, what's it called?, for the cats. He'll buy it in a town 2+ hours away and bring it home on ice so it won't turn bad.

When I'm in town, I'll bring back 3 plain hamburgers for the dogs.

Where's the line? Who said there was a line? I hate to say it, but that's just plain dumb. I mean, there's so much cold comfort in the world that don't you just feel GOOD when you can give some warm comfort? If even to a animal?

Vickie - you just keep on loving that little fellow, be a good steward to God's critters and blessings on you for doing it!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 08:58 AM

Well its not bad enough that we must share our mom with this skunk who needs to be fed 6 times a day but mom went to a dinner this afternoon and came home with something that is suppose to be a dog called a peek-a-poo, he's black and his name is Chester. We all watched when mom put him in the tub to wash him, he surely hollowered about that. Rosee and I tried to tell him he hit the jackpot when mom found him along the road. He had a very old beat up collar so mom let me pick out a nice blue one for him. I suppose he'll be in the bed tonight too, with Rosee and me Reeta and oops lets not forget Tulip. Jack, we share our mom with a whole bunch of animals. God I hope she never brings home a camel, horse, snake, buffalo or a big lizard. Theres not enough room on the sofa for them or the bed, oh, oh, gotta go, she's coming to post on some site called Bombers or something.... [Eek!]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 03:43 PM

I used to have a skunk called Odeo Cologne. Remember that comic strip character?

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/11/04 11:43 PM

Things are better since we moved to Nashville. We used to have seven horses, two miniature donkeys, two geese, three dogs and two cats. Then, she brings home that parrot! But she sold the other critters so it's just the three of us now. Yep, would like to share a biscuit with my Alabama neighbor but Dianne has me on a diet. She says I'm the only fat Italian Greyhound known to mankind.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 12:04 AM

banana popsicles? I love ice cubes. Every time I hear someone in the freezer I hurry to get my ice cube before they forget about me.

They're especially nice on a hot day.

Jack

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 12:05 AM

Boots, that's so nice of you to keep track of your mommy that way.

My mommy places hide and seek with me sometimes. She hasn't found a hiding place yet that I can't find.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 12:09 AM

Sandra, those japanese fish are called KOI, I think that's what you're talking about.

thanks for your support. I can really tell you're a pet person too.. you treat them like little persons, not just another peice of the furniture.

I feel so sad for those animals that just wander around.. in and out of their yard.. or even those that are tied up in the back yard. I wish that all pets could have such good mommies and daddies like us.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 12:13 AM

Rosee, Reeta, and Tulip! Congrats on your newest member of the family. I bet that little black cock-a-poo looked totally different after a bath. Have you figured out how old it is?

My mommy and daddy just took me for a walk down our road. It's been raining the last couple of days so there's all kinds of good stuff to smell and taste.

The slugs are quite tasty, if I can ever be fast enough to get one. Mommy doesn't like it when I try.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 04:42 AM

Hi Vickie - why my brain kicks in now, I have no idea!

The fish Dave buys for the cats is called sushi. He loves the stuff as do the cats. I like my meat cooked, thankyouverymuch!

Long time ago, I worked with a man whose wife had eaten steak tartar in a foreign country. She suffered a long, painful and lingering death due to eating bad meat. UGH!

Learn from other's mistakes, that's my motto.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 04:47 AM

Mommy is watching the Reagan funeral and not paying attention to us right now. I just wanted to let you all know, that I am a good guard dog. I keep Mommy company and guard her every morning while she takes her bath. Silly of them to install a secucrity system.

hmmph, I am good as that thing.

Well, I better go, she is going to get all sentimental and she will need me to put my head in her lap and let her know that I love her.

Boots

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/12/04 09:08 AM

Today we all took a ride in the car, mom had to take Chester to the vet to see what we could find out about him. He is around 6 or 7, Dr. Mike said and he has been out awhile, hes so skinny under all that hair and he is very shy and hated getting his shots. Mom got us all a special treat so we would be good in the car. Mom was feeling quiet today because Ronald Reagan was buried and it was so sad so we all sat on the bed and mom rocked Chester while Rosee and I snuggled Tulip, know what, she snores. We can't keep Chester or Tulip forever because its our job to find them new happy homes unless they're too sick or old then mom keeps them or takes them to Best Friends where they care for them until they pass over to Angel Canyon. Bye now! [Big Grin]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/15/04 02:10 AM

Sandra, I wouldn't eat steak tartar in a domestic country, let alone a foreign one. YUCK!!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/15/04 02:12 AM

Boots, you're such a good guard dog.. Keep up the good work. I'm always on guard and make sure all cats, lizards, frogs, dragonflies, butterflies, and moths know that my back yard is not up for grabs, even when I'm inside. I watch out the window next to my mommy's desk. She put a really neat pillow down just for me.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/15/04 02:18 AM

Hey Rosee and Reeta, how is Chester doing? I bet if he had his way, he wouldn't ever want to leave. I hope your mommy can find him a nice home just like yours.

I heard my mommy on the phone today to Drs Foster & Smith ordering me some yummy treats, a new harness, and a new name tag. I chewed my plastic name tag and it broke. I'm growing so much she says I'm going to get bigger and bigger. I asked her how old I was and she said 9 1/2 months. She told me when I turn 1 yr old I get to have a party. YAY.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/15/04 11:31 PM

Vicki, my two angels Rosee and Reeta asked me to tell you that we found a new very nice home for Chester. The new parents have two other rescued pets, one is a sheltie and the other a poodle so he'll have two sisters. We won't let him go until he's gained a few pounds and I'm sure he's healthy and strong enough, poor little guys been through alot I think, all bad. He will be very happy with his new family. [Smile]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/16/04 08:05 PM

charleen, how wonderful that you've found a suitable home for Chester. Jack is thrilled. Thank Rosee and Reeta for letting us know.

He's been such a stinker the last two nights. Around 10 or so, he gets a burst of energy and jumps up on the bed ready to play. Of course, Daddy is sleeping and says no to the play time request. I'm still awake, but we can't play ... cuz it'll wake up daddy.

Give him an hour and he settles right down again and goes to sleep.

Silly dog!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/18/04 07:15 AM

Hi Opie, you're a few months younger than me!

I'll give you a tip. Just bat those little black eyes adoringly in your mommy's direction and she'll forgive you anything.

Works like a charm for me. [Smile]

I know that when I went through my "chewing" stage, (uh, mommy would tell you I'm not finished yet!) I was teething really bad. How are your teeth? Have you lost all your baby teeth yet? I drooled a lot while I was teething. Anything I chewed on got soaked!

Say hi to aunt bee!!

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/18/04 06:26 PM

Hi everyone, this is Lady,

Boots and I are sad cause our mommy is in California. We miss her, and the grandkids are so busy, and I have to hide from them. Boots is loving it, but I would rather that my mommy come home and the grandkids go home too. Now I hear that they are staying until Monday so they can see Mommy again.

I am sad and lonely, I miss my Mommy.

Lady, (my Mommy calls me LadyBug)

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/19/04 07:06 AM

Hi Lady and Boots,

I'm so sorry that your mommy went away for a few days and you're stuck with the grandkids. I would be sad too, if my mommy went away.

I know you're feeling blue but try to remember to eat normally and drink your water so you don't get sick or dehydrated.

Stay out of the grandkids way... hide under the bed if you have to. That's always been a good hiding spot for me.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/20/04 04:09 PM

Hi, this is Sammie, Dianne's African Gray Parrot and she's somewhat dismayed because we had company for three days and I've learned to say "Damn it!" She's trying to ignore me when I say it, in hopes that I'll forget but you know how my breed is...just when she's trying to impress someone, I'll remember it! [Smile]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/21/04 12:36 AM

Vicki about Jacks nightly burst of energy. Sounds like a rescue I had name of Skooter, she was a mutt and roamed the streets apparently at night. When she was with me, every night about 11:00 PM she decided to run and skoot all over the house. I cured this by taking her for a long walk everynight right before bedtime and she began to sleep like a baby. Maybe Jack needs a walk or good run if you have a yard before bed. I also gave skooter a bowl of warm milk. I've seen the woman who adopted her from time to time and she says Skooter sleeps when put to bed, no problem. It might help, I hope so. [Wink]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/21/04 01:11 AM

Sammie I think Diane should teach you to say "Praise the Lord" every time you say "damm it." You sound very intelligent so I'm sure you could learn.... [Razz]

p.s. this is Reeta & Rosee, just read moms post and you listen up Sammie, ever heard the words Parrot Stew? Yea, well remember those words next time you swear, bad bird. [Eek!]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/21/04 08:27 PM

Parrot stew????? [Eek!]

Dianne has been ignoring my bad language so it's lost most of it's appeal. I'll just stick to calling the dog and cat (Here Kitty-Kitty!) and doing my one sided phone conversations.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/21/04 08:35 PM

Sammie, Sammie, Sammie..

Jack is asking me to type this for him because he's howling with laughter and rolling around on the floor. He's had his fun with birds before.

When we go to the keys we stay with some friends in their guest house. On their patio they have several birds, one of which is a myna bird. Jack has taught it to bark.

So, when we're there, if Jack barks, the bird barks.. sometimes the bird barks just to tease Jack, then it sets Jack off and he starts barking.

The bird is really funny, it can sound like a doorbell, and the telephone ringing.

Of course, the doorbell ringing sets Jack off, thinking someone is at the door. [Smile] [Smile]

So, Jack says, learn more new stuff.. and pick your moments when you repeat them. Repeat words for praise. If you don't get praise, then stop repeating that one, okay?

Okay, I think Jack has recovered enough from his laughter fit.

He'll sign his name.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/21/04 08:38 PM

Charleen, thanks for the tips about helping Jack through his energy bursts. It's not every night, thank goodness, so we get some reprieve.

I think you're right about the need to expend some excess energy. Maybe a good run around the yard would do it.

We've done the walks before, and they've helped sometimes. Just depends on how riled up he gets afterwards.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/23/04 01:37 AM

Hi Jack, Sammie The African Grey here. I bark like the dog, Diz, and then tell myself to shut up! I know how to make the sound of the door opening, the shades hitting the door and then, the door closing. I do everything in sequence.

But, I know WHEN I'm supposed to say certain words or sounds. When Dianne, our resident redhead is moving furniture or doing something that requires physical labor, I alway say "Phew!" I also root for my favorite team and say "Go Titans!" I throw kisses at Dianne and make smooching noises and of course, always tell her I love her. I have learned to sing, "Bird is the Word" (Dianne doesn't know where I learned that!) and I dance when I sing it. When she leaves the room I yell, "Dianne?" and she says "What?" in return so now I say both for her, just to save her vocal chords. Sometimes I throw in "Now What????" I don't know why she always laughs at me.

I have about a 60 word vocabulary and have a very interesting story about the day Dianne found me but my little feet get tired from typing so I'll save it for later. [Wink]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/23/04 04:40 AM

Hi there Sammie, I for one am looking forward to th story of how Dianne found you. I have to commend you on your vocabulary. I have fostered a dozen or so birds that talked but none as eloquent as you. [Wink]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/23/04 09:11 PM

Sammie, rest up those little toes so you can tell us the story. I can't wait to hear it.

You have a remarkable vocabulary!! [Smile] [Smile] I'm laughing just thinking of all the ways you create havoc for your mommy.

My mommy got me some anti-stress sticks (She says they have stuff called chamomile and other herbs in it) ... she gives me one after I have a barking fit when the pool guy is here or the lawn guy. She says they're to help me calm down after my barking fit.

I know what would help better than the anti-stress sticks.. those fools need to stay out of my yard.

Harumph!!

JACK

[ June 23, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/24/04 02:51 AM

Dear Boomer Pet Friends,

This is Lady and Boots, please let all her friends know that her Daddy passed away suddenly this afternoon. She is too sad to write anything right now, and she is busy phoning people and letting family know.

Thanks, I know you guys are really great, and Lady and I feel so bad, we are sitting just as close to her as we can.

Boots, Lady

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/24/04 04:01 AM

I'm so terribly sorry. You are in my thoughts.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/24/04 06:06 AM

Dear Lady and Boots, we are so sorry to hear about your Grandpa and we are sure you two will stay near and care for your mom. Reeta and I will be thinking about you all...Rosee
p.s. Tulip too

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/24/04 08:50 PM

Sammie, the African Grey again. My story:

When the terrorists struck New York, I was just a 3 month old, hand- [Smile] fed baby, in the luggage compartment of an airliner, headed for New York City. My plane was forced to land at an airport in Youngstown, Ohio. The crew didn't know how long they would be grounded so called a local pet store and told them they had a baby bird on board that they didn't know how to care for and were afraid it would die and would they please take me? Of course, they did.

Three days later, Dianne was feeling depressed over the attacks and knew that going to a pet store always made her feel better. She was looking at the birds when one of the clerks started talking to her and mentioned that they had a baby Grey, in the "nursery." Did she want to see me? Yes! It was love at first site and they taught her how to feed me my formula (she got more on my body than in my mouth in the beginning [Eek!] ) but she worked really hard to learn so she could take me home.

Because of the circumstances of the time, Dianne at first named me Sam, as in Uncle Sam, but after having a DNA run on me, it became Sammie.

She's always sang God Bless America to me and put me on the floor and rubbed my back while she sang it. I become completely submissive with my head down and my fanny up in the air. I don't do that with any other song.

So, there it is. My story and I'm sticking to it!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/25/04 01:52 AM

Dear Boots and Lady, I'm sending you lots of hugs and warm thoughts for you and your mommy. I know she is hurting now, and you're doing the best thing you can by sticking close and giving comfort.

JACK

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/25/04 02:00 AM

Dear Boomer Pet Friends.. I had a little scare with Jack today. He's exhausted from his trip to the vet so I'm telling the story.

Let me start by saying my previous Am. Eskimo died of lymphoma cancer.

I found a lump on Jack behind is right ear. At first I thought it was a clump of hair, but it got worse and I couldn't untangle it. Then I felt it and I thought it had substance inside, especially when Jack wouldn't let me even touch it anymore.

So, I made an emergency trip to the vet today to have the doctor take a look at it. At first she wasn't sure what it was, and was concerned as well. Then, she had an idea. Get the clippers and start shaving. The clippers have a guard that won't cut skin, so we'd find out soon enough what the lump was made of.

Thank goodness, it all shaved away and it was a very unusual clump of hair, knotted and twisted. I was so relieved I started kissing Jack and telling him he was such a good boy. The vet said that it was the easiest case she had all day and said "no charge". She said my smile was all the payment she needed.

It was a HUGE relief. I had been so worried.

So, now we're both home, relaxing and a little tired from all the excitement.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/25/04 02:02 AM

Dianne, I loved the story of Sammie! What a wonderful connection you two will have for the rest of your lives.

Jack gives it two paws up!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/25/04 04:19 AM

Thanks Vicki.

My little Italian Greyhound, Diz, had her tiny little leg broken in half just six months ago. Required surgery and a plate to put the bones back together. It just broke my heart. Not only was she in a lot of pain but I had to carry her everywhere for six weeks. Even outside to the bathroom and the silly dog won't poop if you watch her (bashful) so I'd have to turn my back to her until she did her business. Then last month, she got beat up by a squirrel. A SQUIRREL! How sad is that? Six stitches for that "accident." Poor baby is so fragile.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/25/04 06:25 PM

Poor little Diz!! Oh, don't even mention "squirrel" right now.. I was coming home from shopping and reached up to hit the garage door opener on my visor and I heard a thump thump [Eek!] and looked out the rear view mirrow. A little squirrel lay in the road. I'm so sad!!!!!!! [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

If I had the opportunity I would have avoided it; I wouldn't want to intentionally hurt one, they're so cute!! [Confused] I don't know what to do.. should I go and scoop it up with a shovel and bury it? [Confused]

[ June 25, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/26/04 07:10 AM

Yikes. I don't know. I guess so. [Confused] I think I would if it happened to me but then again, I can't be sure. Doesn't that just hurt so much? I hit a deer with my car once and I'm still upset about it and that was in 1969!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/26/04 01:38 AM

By all means bury the little creature. If its any help, dig the hole first and then place an old towel/rag or somethjing over the body, pick it up with the shovel and drop, it with the towel/rag into the hole. Cover it up and maybe put a couple rocks on top so ne animal digs it up again. Sorry this happened to you but it couldn't be helped....

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/26/04 04:52 PM

Speaking of deer (I was in another post) one was in the back yard the other night and just wrecked havoc! Broke a stepping stone my grandkids made me, broke a glass candle holder, drug my dogs outdoor bed to the middle of the yard, walked through my newly planted whooly thyme (sp) and pulled plants up by their roots. I might be rethinking the grieving I did when I hit that one with my car so many years ago. I think it's a break-even now.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/27/04 01:54 AM

Dianne, in the wild deer and other animals see brush, trees, grass, dirt, wild flowers etc. from the day their born. Can you just imagine how fascinating your yard with all its strange, colorful items are to them. Its probably like Disneyland would be to a child. They are gentle souls the deer but love to frolick and play, he was probably having a ball. You need to keep the items you treasure in a place they won't go to play or buy a couple of those brightly colored, aluminum pinwheels and stick them around the yard to keep the deer away. Also a salt lick would keep them too busy to bother with anything else..... [Razz]

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/27/04 05:45 PM

I was told that a salt lick only served to bring them closer to your yard. It's like the appetizer with your yard as the entree! I think they stop in my yard after having cocktails at the pond across the street. I sure do love them though. So beautiful and graceful. We also have wild turkey that walk through the back yard. My word...the Tom's are so huge! [Eek!] I'm lucky to have this beautiful land behind the house so I can watch nature...although it can be destructive at times. And speaking of nature, these Japanese Beetles are making me crazy. We have an out and out war going on! They eat anything!
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/29/04 08:57 AM

My girlfriend has two Italian greyhounds and they are such characters! They're wonderful and so much fun.
And I have my German Shephard. We thought they could be friends but now my dog outweighs hers by about 110 lbs. so that won't work.

We both love our dogs...they are so much fun.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 06/30/04 12:42 AM

Yes but, the Greyhound can run faster than the Shephard [Big Grin]

My son had a Chocolate Lab puppy and my Greyhound would run at him and knock him over. He'd try to catch her and of course, it just drove him in circles and made him nuts. Now, he weighs 120 lbs so I don't think Diz could still knock him over but she could outrun him!

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 07/01/04 02:36 AM

I grew up with a German Shepherd, KING ... my favorite dog in the whole world. He'd do anything for us kids. He would get between us and anyone he didn't know. We loved that dog.

Re: Love my American Eskimo - 07/01/04 10:11 PM

Sammie has learned a new word. She was saying bonsoir this morning. I've been working with her for about three weeks on it. She had the bon...part down but couldn't get the soir out. So, she must have been practicing. She's so funny. Oh, my daughter is here and she has a parakeet (about the size of Sammie's head!) and Sammie loves it. She climbs to the bottom or her perch and stares and even sleeps down beside it so she must like it. Either that or she's thinking, supper time! [Eek!]