Talking dog...?

Posted by: jabber

Talking dog...? - 05/23/11 05:43 PM

GMA had a talking dog video this morning. Anybody see it?
Cute. Real cute!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Talking dog...? - 05/23/11 10:37 PM

Missed this one but have seen many talking dogs on other programs and it is awesome!

Re: Talking dog...? - 05/24/11 12:35 PM

Sometimes I think my dogs are talking; MIL's dog moans and groans a good deal.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Talking dog...? - 05/24/11 08:45 PM

Your discussion reminded me that years ago I saw a story on TV about a dog bark translator. Googled it. here you go: Dog Bark Translator

Re: Talking dog...? - 05/25/11 12:29 PM

Now that's cool! The SPCA here has program called, Yelp 4 Help, and people send contributions the SPCA uses for operations, medicine, and equipment to restore abused and afflicted animals. Great program.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/01/11 04:18 PM

My parrot talks all the time. Does that count?

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/01/11 05:14 PM

Dianne,
I think a talking parrot is very cool! I've seen some birds
that are whistle so neat, I wanted to bring them home. There was a time way back when, when I babysat a parrot name Oscar. But he didn't talk; he just sat around and looked beautiful! What sort of things does your parrot say? And what's your parrot's name?

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/04/11 05:31 PM

Her name is Sammie and she's a character. She calls my name, says good morning, how are you, where are you, I love you, wanna go outside and go pee-pee, get in here, Max (our dog), kiss kiss, bonjour, little french girl, give me a kiss and she has her own phone conversations when the phone rings. She says much more than what I've listed and you just never know what is going to come out of her beak. She's an African Grey, the genius of birds. Who knew you could love a bird so much?
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/04/11 08:18 PM

A friend of mine occasionally bird-sets for another friend who owns a couple of African Greys, Dianne.

From what he tells me, they ARE amazingly intelligent birds. Love all the stuff yours does.

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/05/11 01:00 PM

Diane,
That reminds me of a kid: You never know what's gonna come out of their mouth! And generally the first word they say is whatever
they shouldn't, particularly if daddy's vocabulary isn't up to
snuff! LOL...Love the fact that Sammie has so much to say!
Cute. Cute. Cute.

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/05/11 03:04 PM

Her timing is hilarious. Sammie has one bad word and she always says it when my daughter in law, who is very religious and sweet, is visiting. It makes her blush. I think that is why Sammie uses her bad word when she's here...she likes the reaction.

My husband has been watching a lot of baseball so Sammie has learned to yell, "Go-go-go!" and "Oh no!" She's also been calling my name and when I answer she says, "Never mind."

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/06/11 01:25 PM

That's funny, "Never mind." This bird sounds like she lightens
the household mood. When my son was learning to talk, he said words he shouldn't at my ex's family reunion. Hubby used crude language when things didn't go right and sonny boy knew what shouldn't be said and said it. Loud'n clear, I might add!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/07/11 12:16 AM

Out of the mouths of babes...and birds!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/17/11 08:56 PM

What a joy she is Dianne! So smart and full of personality!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/17/11 11:59 PM

She's been saying, "Where's Grandma?" lately. Must be from listening to the grandbabies while they were here. She's also been saying "David!" (my husband) and she refused to say his name for years!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/28/11 02:03 PM

Dianne,
I just looked up African Greys and see that they can easily have a vocabulary of over 1000 words. How cool that is! They must be
tons of fun!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/28/11 03:55 PM

It's true, Jabber, and once they learn something, they never, ever forget! Recently she was saying, "Here Kitty Kitty" something she learned years ago when we had a cat. But, they don't just talk. They know your face and name. They don't just speak. Once that person moved away, she never says their name again because she knows they are gone. Plus, she decides whose name she will say and whose she won't.

When she wants her cage uncovered in the morning she says, "Good morning!" in a sweet little voice and always gives me a kiss when I get her on my finger to move her to her perch. To hear "I love you" in a tiny voice melts my heart. She's amazing!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/28/11 08:25 PM

That is so neat. This Goldendoodle we have is as loving as any
dog I've ever known. And I've had dogs all my life. Animals are just incredible. And I understand how "I love you" in a tiny voice would melt your heart! I've never owned a bird, myself, but have friends who've had 'em. And I know folks think as much of a pet bird, as dog lovers do of their precious barking, tail waggers. A talking bird, puts a smile on my face.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/28/11 09:36 PM

We seem to be getting a lot of birds here at the Shelter lately. We have had 3 or 4 Amazons just in the last couple of months. We also get parakeets and other assorted birds. Right now we have rabbits and ferrets as well as our usual complement of dogs and cats. We get chickens and goats quite a bit, too!

We had one bird (might have been a cockatoo, don't remember) we fostered in our office while the owner was in the hospital for a while; there were times when that bird sounded like a child pitching a hissy fit - drove us nuts! I guess the woman's grandchildren weren't the best behaved. smile
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/28/11 09:38 PM

I have to say that I love how these topics evolve from the original one - I just re-read some of the topics and they ended up not even close to the original topic!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/30/11 01:41 PM

I hear you. This seems to happen, word association I guess. One
thing leads to another and we're off and running. Baby goats are the cutest things, too. I had a friend years ago, who had a
baby piglet as a house pet. But I felt sorry for the little
guy because their house cat was always tormenting it. The cat was bigger than the piglet!

Re: Talking dog...? - 06/30/11 07:41 PM

We had two pot-bellied pigs when we lived in Ohio. Their poop smells sooooo bad!

Could you post a pic of your Goldendoodle? They are so awesome looking!

I guess in this economy a lot of people are surrendering their pets, which breaks my heart. Poor animals don't understand.

Re: Talking dog...? - 07/01/11 01:24 PM

Diane,

We had our Goldendoodle shaved down for the summer. They have such thick, beautiful hair; it has to be comb almost daily to
keep 'em from getting matted. Her ears and tail are all that has any length right now. When it grows out a little we'll take a a pic and post it with both dogs, ours and MIL's. Goldendoodles are so cute and sweet. I absolutely love this breed!

Re: Talking dog...? - 07/02/11 04:10 PM

Wish I could shave Sammie. The feathers...geesh.