Eight Billion...

Posted by: jabber

Eight Billion... - 07/02/08 01:45 PM

I love this!!! Leona Helmsley left 8 billion bucks for the care and welfare of dogs!!! Some in the media R complaining but I think its great.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/02/08 08:20 PM

That is the one really redeeming feature of this rather gruff and uncaring about people, woman. She loved animals, especially dogs, GOD BLESS her and rotten eggs to those who have no right to say what she did with her fortune. I admire her greatly and have for countless years...These complainers didn't bother to mention that she also gave unlimited amounts of money/support to many Childrens causes...
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/02/08 11:08 PM

Her will was overturned. Only two million goes to her pet. I should be so lucky. I think the rest went to charity so I hope it's pet charities

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/03/08 01:16 PM

Dianne,
I could B wrong, but I think her own dog got 2 million;
dog welfare groups got 8 billion. At least that's my understanding. All I can say is, "Yippie!!!"

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/10/08 03:07 PM

The Greatest American Dog airs tonight. Can't wait!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/10/08 10:04 PM

Jabber, is that the new reality show?

Anyone find out where Helmsley's money went?
Posted by: gims

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/11/08 03:07 AM

Didn't relatives get a big chunk after fighting for it?

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/11/08 01:19 PM

Anno,
I watched "The Greatest American Dog" last night. I loved it! It's like a canine parody of "American Idol"; but I like the dogs better. They're so cute!
gims,
All I know is what they said on Good Morning America, "8 Billion went to the care and welfare of dogs!"

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/12/08 01:23 PM

Chatty,
Leona Helmsley needed an attitude adjustment. On the other hand, I know some seemingly sweet folks' who don't like dogs. I'm not sure I trust people that don't like dogs????

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/12/08 08:39 PM

Oh Jabber, I exit from my life fast and forever, anyone that doesn't like animals, especially dogs or cats. I have no trust in anyone not liking animals. Also in anyone my animals don't like. I trust their judgement completely.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/13/08 03:12 AM

I need a new will - leaving it all to my horse! Afterall, there's no better man than my horse!

No, really, when I pass and provided I've no horse and nieces/nephews are grown, I'll leave a portion of my estate to an animal shelter and/or a wildlife refuge for horses.

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/15/08 01:22 PM

Exactly! Animals have acute senses; they instinctively know good people from bad people! The thing is, animals are cooler than any of us!!! IMO...

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/15/08 08:21 PM

When I shuffle of this mortal coil, I've made arrangements to leave everything I own to The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Knab, Utah. All that I have will be sold and the proceeds will go to suport their wonderful "no kill" sanctuary.
My son has a beautiful home and he and my DIL are perfectly happy with my decision...
I can think of no better place to support even after I'm gone...

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/18/08 02:43 PM

Mustang and Chatty,
Great idea! Those R worthy beneficiaries.

I love that new "Greatest American Dog" show. It's cute as can B!!!

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/18/08 11:29 PM

My favorite is Tillman the bulldog, he is so laid back, so sweet and tries so hard just to please his person...

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/19/08 01:00 PM

Agree. Tillman is sweet. They're all so cute.

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/19/08 07:47 PM

I have to say I don't know who picked, or how these dogs were picked as I have seen much, much smarter dogs, better trained and cuter too. I see nothing very extra special about any of them to be the chosen the Greatest American Dog... Heck my little Reeta can run rings around them all except Tillman, Reeta is too short to skate board. Jabber what do you think about the group they are judging?

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/20/08 01:18 PM

Chatty,
As U know, I love dogs. I do agree with U, however. I don't C anything special about those they've chosen. But I'd rather watch dogs, than a lot of back-stabbing, con artists trying 2 form clicks 4 the purpose of destroying other contestants. "R U Smarter Than A 5th Grader," I used 2 watch on Thursday Primetime. I'd switch back and forth between "The No Spin Zone"; Nancy Grace; and Suze O! At 8 p.m. everybody is vying 4 ratings. Since dogs R my favorite people, I stick with them, now! Naturally, Xena has top billing with me!
Posted by: Di

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/20/08 02:15 PM

I also believe that people treat their pets like their kids. Next time, watch and see how close I am.

If they treat them each differently, they are fake!

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/23/08 01:52 PM

I agree that people treat their pets as if the animals were their children. I think I do that. But I don't understand
what you mean by your 2nd sentence? Are you saying that
the owners and pets on this show are not really owners and pets but mere actors? I suppose that's a possibility? I had never thought about it that way. But anything is possible.
Why would they do that? America is full of folks' that actually own and love dogs!

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/23/08 07:29 PM

It is a fact that the people on this show are the real owners of these dogs. Some are better owners than others to be sure but all seem to genuinely adore their pets.

One of the judges, Victoria Stidwell (I think) her last name escapes me. Anyway she has a show of her own called IT'S ME OR THE DOG, where she goes into peoples homes that have troublesome dogs and she completely transforms these dogs into well behaved members of the family. She is a genius, her methods work every time and the show is amazing and very entertaining as well...
Posted by: Dee

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/24/08 02:46 AM

I wonder if Victoria could get my Molly over the frustration of bath time...

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/24/08 01:10 PM

Don't know Victoria. But we watch "The Dog Whisperer" frequently. I bought Wild Bill 1 of Caesar's books 4 Christmas. Xena jumps into the tub 4 her bath; and, she is always glad when it's over. Dogs R so cute!

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/25/08 03:49 PM

Chatty & Di & Dee and everyone posting on this thread...
I like [Bill & Star] on that doggy contest show. Big Bill looks like some ole, teddybear farmer. And he's so crazy in love with his dog. It warms my heart!
Posted by: Dee

Re: Eight Billion... - 07/25/08 05:04 PM

Jabber...I must admit I haven't watch the doggie show contest yet...