Sick dog

Posted by: yonuh

Sick dog - 03/09/08 03:20 PM

Hi all. I got home from work on Thursday to find that Archie, my Aussie/Doberman mix was very lethargic and wouldn't eat his cookies. First thing Friday I called my vet and they saw him right away. The ran a bunch of tests - poor thing had a belly full of fluid - he had gained 5 lbs since his last visit 3 or so weeks ago and he weighs 50 at most. This came on suddenly. So he has a mass on his spleen that was causing internal bleeding. He will have surgery tomorrow, Monday, to remove the mass and have a biopsy done. The good news is that removing the spleen will solve the bleeding problem; the bad news is there's a 60% chance it's hemangiosarcoma, a particularly aggressive form of cancer. If the biopsy shows it's cancer, the vet said he has 6 weeks at the most. But there's a 40% chance it's a benign mass and he'll be fine without his spleen. I have been in a tizzy since Friday when I got the news. I'm trying to be hopeful that he will be okay. So please send good vibes our way tomorrow.
Posted by: Di

Re: Sick dog - 03/09/08 04:00 PM

Praying for Archie. We have a special place in our hearts for all of God's creations. They just don't know what is happening but they still know love.

Keep lovin' on Archie as much as you can.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Sick dog - 03/09/08 04:12 PM

Yonuh, you have my prayers for sweet Archie. Please keep us informed after the surgery if you have time. We're there with you and Archie, girlfriend!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Sick dog - 03/09/08 07:47 PM

Adding your sweet Archie to our prayer circle. He is one of Gods special creations as are all animals in my opinion. Just give him as much attention and love as possible now as you would a sick child. They are our children in a way after all. Gods blessing be with you.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Sick dog - 03/09/08 07:50 PM

Yonuh, thinking of you during this time with your sweet boy, Archie. It's such a heartache to have a sick animal...we've all experienced it. I'll be praying, especially tomorrow. Please let us know the outcome soon.

Re: Sick dog - 03/10/08 08:36 PM

Thank you for all your good wishes. Archie passed away after surgery today - he never woke up from the anesthesia. He had lost too much blood, 1/2 his blood volume, and they weren't able to replace it fast enough. He had too many bleeding tumors and probably wouldn't have lived very long even if he had come through the surgery. It was a last ditch effort, and I was so hoping that the tumors were benign. He was 10 and had been part of our household for the last 9 years. Our other dog, Peanut, is really bummed. She is camped out by the front door waiting for Archie to come home.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Sick dog - 03/10/08 09:55 PM

I am so sorry .
Mountain ash
Posted by: Dee

Re: Sick dog - 03/11/08 03:10 AM

Oh my goodness...I just saw this post and I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Animals can be like our children and I understand how devastated you must be feeling. Just know that you gave a beautiful animal a wonderful life for 10 years...I'm so very sorry sweetheart. So very sorry.
Posted by: mscoach

Re: Sick dog - 03/11/08 07:04 PM

SO sorry about Archie. I'm sending you a hug.
I trapped one of my long time, sweet ferals today to have him spayed. He's not been looking too well lately but he's always happy to see us. The vet called soon after I'd dropped him off to say he was so sick that the best thing for him was to put him down.
I could barely believe what I was hearing. I know this vet forever and she will do everything she can to save an animal, feral or otherwise so I trust her. But I still had to get the list of what was wrong with him.

The list was long, he was in pain, and he had Fe-Leuk and Aids. He was still asleep when she called and so he'd not be awake when the drug was administered.

I'm just so sad because he suffered all this time and sad because I had to let him go even though I know it was the best thing for him.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Sick dog - 03/11/08 07:40 PM

Yonuh, When reading your final post about Archie, I had to shed a tear for him, for you and for Peanut, as he will pine for days to come after his missing friend. I am so sorry for you loss...

MsCoach those of us in service of the stray and unwanted animals in this world suffer greatly as you are now. At least he is free from pain and in a better place. I can't even count the animals I have seen go over the Angels Bridge to a better place. We can't love or save them all but the few we can help, makes all our time and effort worthwhile... Bless your heart for being there!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Sick dog - 03/11/08 07:58 PM

Oh my friends. My heart is broken! I'm so sorry about Archie. I know you are very sad and I'm so, so sorry for your loss. And poor Peanut! It is just like losing a member of the family. Heck, they ARE our family.

Gregory, how awful for you as well. You two women have really had a hard time with the loss of these pets and I'm just so sorry! I'm sending good thoughts your way and hope that the good memories you have will help in your grieving.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Sick dog - 03/12/08 10:42 AM

I know how heart breaking it is to lose a pet. I hung up pictures, and that helped me a little.
Thinking of you.
Hannelore
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: Sick dog - 03/12/08 11:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Archie. Like others here I know how painful it is to lose a pet. Know that there are many of us thinking of you.
Mscoach, my thoughts are with you too.

Hugs to both of you.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Sick dog - 03/12/08 12:48 PM

It's always such a tough time when one loses a pet. Sometimes my grief has been overwhelming and it just took some time to put things into perspective. I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this right now. Just love any remaining pets and give them extra TLC...it will be good for them and help you as well. Thinking of you!
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Sick dog - 03/12/08 09:54 PM

Yonuh and Mscoach my prayers are with both of you. So sorry to hear about your beloved pets. They are family and I am sure a very difficult time for you. Know you both gave them love while they were here.

I have a pet poodle who will be 17 years old in May and am praying he'll be with us for a time yet. My heart is breaking for both of you. Prayers to both and loads of love.
Posted by: Q_ball

Re: Sick dog - 03/12/08 09:58 PM

Yonuh & Mscoach,
I'm so sad for you both. My heart breaks with you & yours for the loss of you beloved companions. They are so missed and grieved for. May strenght be with you through the morning & happy memories once again fill your hearts.
With Sympathy, qball

Re: Sick dog - 03/13/08 02:11 AM

Thanks, dear friends, for your thoughts and prayers. Mscoach, I'm so sorry for your loss, too. Our critters are so trusting of us and give us truly unconditional love. We really miss Archie; he was so gentle and sweet. Today, I was able to talk about him without tearing up, much. I know it takes a while to heal; I just have to be patient.
Posted by: mscoach

Re: Sick dog - 03/14/08 03:22 PM

Thank you all for your warm and heartfelt sentiments. It does make one feel better knowing others are thinking good thoughts for us I think. The day after the weight still had not lifted so I had to go to yoga--amazing. It forces me to get out of my head and some of our practice focused on releasing grief. Now isn't that interesting! So, like Yonuh, I can talk about Siggy and imagine his pleasure being with his other mates who crossed over first.
Bless you all,
mscoach
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Sick dog - 03/14/08 04:17 PM

May I add my regrets for ittle cat to those for Archie.
My feral cat now lets my daughter touch her.After two years..
slow progress .
Mountain ash
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Sick dog - 03/16/08 12:30 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that Archie passed away. I'm sending you warm thoughts and hugs through cyberspace.