Knee socks

Posted by: Di

Knee socks - 09/04/06 06:48 PM

I wear them a lot around here. We do the farmer's market in the winter as well. LOVE my knee socks!

Back then, if the top elastic was stretched out, we used rubber bands to hold them up. TEll me no one else did that!!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Knee socks - 09/04/06 07:37 PM

I had hand knitted top socks.The next year Granny refooted them.There was shade difference and I hated that.This went on each winter until I was twelve.I vowed that if I had a daughter she would NOT have these to wear.
The garters were made of one inch elastic to fit my calf..I hung them up each night on a tap for the boiler..Everything in my birth home had its place like a well run machine.
I do however have long socks I wear under trousers in winter and no.....I have no garters.
Mountain Ash
Posted by: flossie

Re: Knee socks - 09/04/06 07:43 PM

Mountain Ash....did you grow up in the UK? Do you mind spilling the beans and telling me what era you grew up in?
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Knee socks - 09/04/06 08:42 PM

Yep Di...I wore those knee socks especially with my Catholic School uniform (navy blue). And, when they stretched out we all used rubber bands to hold them up. When I think of it now, I never remember worrying about stopping our circulation but I bet it hurt!!!!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Knee socks - 09/04/06 10:38 PM

I wore navy knee socks to school and still as an adult under slacks or jeans, in the Midwest where the winters were so cold they about froze us to death. Here in Vegas when the nights get chilly, even now I wear knee socks, and a cotton sleep shirt (long t-shirt) around the house.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Knee socks - 09/04/06 10:58 PM

Di,

We wore knee socks here in Alabama as well. And we used the occassional rubber band when the elastic stretched. I don't own any now except for one pair of purple and yellow striped ones left over from my college days. They're full of holes so I don't wear them...just couldn't get rid of them, either.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Knee socks - 09/05/06 02:54 PM

If the elastic was worn, we'd roll them down and really get on the nuns nerves.

I wore those navy blue babies for 13 years. I do recall a year when white knee highs were permitted.

Do you remember wearing the white, wool, really thick, low socks? They were real popular for a few years too. Who made them? Can anyone recall? I bet my older sister would. Was it Adlers? Hmmm....
Posted by: Anno

Re: Knee socks - 09/05/06 11:08 PM

Don't remember the thick, white wool socks, but knee socks for sure! Rubber bands, too, and after you took those socks and rubber bands off, I would itch my skin for what seemed like hours! Thank God for collegen in our skin or I would still have those deep, red indents just under my knees.
Posted by: dejavu

Re: Knee socks - 09/06/06 10:47 AM

I wore knee socks all through grade school, and even in early high school they were still popular with the plaid pleated kilts. However, by the time I finished high school, they'd been mostly replaced with tights and pantyhose. Good thing, too, because the skirts got shorter and shorter and shorter....