Fun Fun Fun

Posted by: CC52

Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 06:03 PM

Do these singers/groups mean anything to you?

The Beach Boys
The Four Seasons
The Four Tops
The Temptations
Jay and the Americans
Frankie Avalon
Fabian
Bobby Rydell
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
The Supremes
Jackie Wilson
Jackie DeShannon
The Lovin’ Spoonful
Three Dog Night

If so, can you name a song for each one?

Just wanted to have some fun today and throw out some trivia.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 07:18 PM

Okay, I'm going to attempt this without cheating. Here goes:

Beach boys - Surfin' USA
The Four Seasons - Dawn?
Four Tops - Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Temptations - My Girl
Jay and the Americans - something about a roller coaster?
Frankie Avalon - Wanderer?
Fabian - ?
Bobby Rydell - something about a roller coaster?
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels - Gennie
The Supremes - Stop in the Name of Love
Jackie Wilson - Mustang Sally?
Jackie DeShannon - something about a roller coaster?
The Lovin’ Spoonful - something about cereal?
Three Dog Night - oh gawd I can't believe I can't remember their songs...I'll be hitting my head on the keyboard when you tell me

Obviously I'm remembering some, but not all. HELP? And don't try and tell me someeeeeebody didn't do a song about a roller coaster in a park!

JJ

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 07:32 PM

Giggle, giggle ... snort, snort...

Here ya go!

Last night I took a walk after dark
A swingin' place called Palisades Park
To have some fun and see what I could see
That's where the girls are

I took a ride on a shoot-the-chute
That girl I sat beside was awful cute
And after while she was holdin' hands with me

My heart was flyin' up like a rocket ship
Down like a roller coaster
Back like a loop-the-loop
And around like a merry-go-round

We ate and ate at a hot dog stand
We danced around to a rockin' band
And when I could, I gave that girl a hug
In the tunnel of love

You'll never know how great a kiss can feel
When you stop at the top of a Ferris wheel
When I fell in love down at Palisades Park

Instrumental with the sound of a roller coaster and the screams of its riders

We ate and ate at a hot dog stand
We danced around to a rockin' band
And when I could, I gave that girl a hug
In the tunnel of love

You'll never know how great a kiss can feel
When you stop at the top of a Ferris wheel
When I fell in love down at Palisades Park

Down at Palisades Park

FADE
You know it's Palisades Park
Down at Palisades Park

Sung by??? Hint: FC
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 09:34 PM

Freddy Cannon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably his only song!
JJ...The Wanderer was by Dion (last name DiMucci!) Frankie sang "Venus"...how could we forget?!

Great Memories! I just ordered tickets to see Jersey Boys on B'way in November, can't wait.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 10:27 PM

3 Dog Night..... Elies Coming, One Is The loneliness Number, The Show Must Go on.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 11:10 PM

CC! You've got the lyrics on some album sleeve or just etched in memory? I am impressed?

Good Vibrations (of course)
Venus
Heard it Through the Grapevine
Baby, Baby (whatever by the Supremes)

Heck! Hard to think when I have the Everly Bros on online radio: "Bye Bye Love"...'twas "Bus Stop" before it.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 11:13 PM

You ladies remember Cat Stevens? Anyone found him delish years ago? Well, he has picked up the guitar again. Sounds just like he did.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/21/06 11:17 PM

CC! Runaround Sue by Dion is on. Just thought of you.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 12:05 AM

How about Johnny Rivers..."Oh, baby come on, let me show you where the action is". Remember Paul Revere and the Raiders?

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 12:22 AM

Paul Revere and the Raiders!!!

Now I'm going to have the song "Good Thing" running through my head!
Posted by: Di

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 12:59 AM

Hey, we use to GO to Palisades Park....

If you brought your end-of-year report card, they'd count up all the E's you got (no A's in Jersey City) and you'd get that many free rides.

WEll, with the four of us, we always got all E's so Mom had her kids ride all day for free plus...
They gave you free bagsful of groceries. That is where we learned about Aunt Millie's spaghetti sauce.

Now ya'll are takin' me WAY BACK!!

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 01:31 AM

OMG...How could I forget Runaround Sue? Oh I LOVE that song. Your girls are great at this. I should have cheated...teehee...Three Dog Night. How in the world could I forget One Is The loneliness Number?

I DID notice there were no Elvis songs on the list...hm?

JJ
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 03:31 AM

Palasades Park was not his only song. He actually had several hits. He was from Revere, MA, which is 5 minutes away from here. One of my friends in junior high was a cousin of his and I went "steady" with another one of his cousins for a while. I met Freddie Cannon one day when he was visiting my girlfriend. Her mother said she could have two of her friends over to meet him. I'll never forget that. We were so star struck, sitting there in the parlor talking with him. He smoked one cigarette after another. When he left, I took a few butts out of the ashtray to save forever. My mother found them in my jewelry box and threw them out because she thought I had been smoking. I was devasted when I found out she had thrown them away. Knowing me, I'd probably still have them.

I saw the Supreme's once in the 60's. It must have been when I got out of high school because it was in a nightclub. We went to Blindstrub's in Boston to see them.

Louisa
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/22/06 09:50 PM

Like I said before you can't find music like we had in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I still dance my derierre off to these songs especially when doing housework...Oh and is there anyone out thyere that didn't rub bellies with a boy dancing to THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS music???
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/23/06 12:42 PM

Louisa, you saw the Supremes? That is awesome. My sisters and I loved them. We would stand in a line with pretend microphones in our hands and do all the same motions while belting out their songs.

That reminds me. I saw the Spinners and they were out of this world. I loved Motown!

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/23/06 03:33 PM

I saw Tina Turner (one of my idols!) when she came to Huntsville, AL in 1973. (I think). She was with Ike then. She was out of this world. I admire that woman so much!

And of course I saw Elvis three times. Make that four. I'm pretty sure I saw him at Chucky Cheese last week waiting tables.

Chatty.......LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the Righteous Brothers. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MY LOVEEEEEE, My darrrrrrling...I hungerrrrr for yoyyyyyyaaaaa touchhhhhh....what? What can I tell ya, I get into it. We really need to have a pajama party.

JJ

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/23/06 10:59 PM

Oh wow JJ, I would travel all the way there just for that. I still get steamy when I hear the Righteous Brothers, yes I do. How can anyone help but be carried away???
Posted by: judym

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/25/06 05:51 PM

I can remember having a transistor radio in the window at night, with the antenna up and trying my best to get the tunes in - anyone remember Jerry Blavat (the Geator with the Heater, the Boss with the Hot Sauce, bringin' you the sounds from Philly Town high atop the Geator's nest in Camden, NJ!!)! Mowtown, Jersey sounds, all the stuff we wove dreams with in our teens. Now, when you hear those tunes you just can't help but shimmy a bit, and the mic is in your hand in your imagination, and you will hum the tune at best while the words are mouthed silently with a smile.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/25/06 08:09 PM

judy, I remember those transistor radios. I thought I was so cool when I got a cream colored, sorta plastic coated one for confirmation.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/25/06 08:36 PM

Oh LOL there - I got mine with babysitting money around that same age. For Confirmation, I got a missal and a rosary! Plus some sage advice about keeping being a good girl! A special cake, and too many nerves for the day to enjoy the celebration after. That music I listened to in the stealth of the night was something that was sure to lead to my downfall...I loved it so. Did you use your earpiece with yours? Great to keep it secret! Especially when you could get the "skip" from Cincinnati or places so far away you couldn't imagine them...Reading Tiger Beat and that magazine (I can't remember the name of it) that had the lyrics of all the latest songs...saving lunch money to buy them. TV might have been the almighty eye in the households of then, but we really didn't watch that much tv - the radio was the venue then for kids my age.It was something you felt was your own, your connection to the big wide world. I even remember the musty smell of the window sill when I'd prop my radio there in the screen! My brother owns the family home there now, and his daughters are in our old rooms, but when I do go there I always have to pause and reflect. I'm sure the 7 yr old in my old bedroom thinks I'm totally bonkers when I run my hand on that old sill and remember...
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/26/06 01:02 AM

My transistor radio was light green rectangular shaped and very cool! I remember the earphone part too! I think I got it for Christmas, not sure. But I do remember getting my first HiFi system for my 13th birthday. I had the 45's, 33 1/3's and the 78's to play on it. It was in my own room and I was a brand new teenager. What memories. Does anyone remember my idol Bobby Vee who sang Take Good Care of My Baby and Rubber Ball and Run to Him? Oh my goodness, I was flipped out over him. I knew his whole auto-biography. I remember he was born in Fargo, ND and his real last name was Velline. In fact, I think his sons are in a band these days. Bobby Vee became famous when Buddy Holly was killed in the plane crash in Fargo. He was in a local band and was called on to fill in at the local place where the concert was supposed to be held. That was the beginning of his career. He sang lots of Buddy Holly songs for a very long time. Oops..I am really showing my age now!

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/26/06 04:13 PM

The name of the magazine with the lyrics and lastest pop charts was Hit Parade! Finally remembered that one late last night! We'd memorize the words to all the songs...funny, it was easier to memorize lyrics than maps for geography or formulae for geometry!

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/27/06 03:03 PM

Judym, I recall the ear piece too. It came im a little plastic bag. Right? That was so hi-tech at the time.

Pam, I am 48. I think my older sister would relate more to what you are taling about, but I certainly do remember...Take Good Caare of My Baaaby!

Re: Fun Fun Fun - 07/27/06 11:21 PM

I still have some of those really old song magazines, Hit Parade....Couldn't believe it but there they were in an old chest. I use to use them to learn the songs I was going to be singing.