parades

Posted by: Dotsie

parades - 05/29/06 05:54 PM

These holiday weekends remind me of parades from when I was a kid. Every time I went to a parade I came home wanting to be a majorette. Anyone else?

[ May 29, 2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: parades - 05/29/06 06:31 PM

Oh, and how! When I was very young, I desperately wanted to be a majorette, with the white boots and a sparkly tiara! But most of all, I DESPERATELY (prayed every night) wanted to learn how to twirl a baton. I also yearned to tap dance. I never did learn either one - but Mom and Dad did give me piano lessons for many years, and that's a lovely gift that's lasted a lifetime and one that I cherish to this day (though I still would like to know how to twirl a baton!)
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: parades - 05/29/06 08:07 PM

Okay girls, now don't be jealous.... but I was a majorette in Junior High School - 8th grade!

(Only be cause I couldn't make the cheerleading squad - just not popular enough)

But it was a blast and I used to be pretty good at it - can't remember the last time I twirled a baton. Do you think it's like riding a bike, or would I bop myself in the head?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: parades - 05/30/06 05:12 AM

That sound you hear is BLOOPP, is the baton smacking you in the head....I was a cheer leader 2 years in high school and it was fun but I couldn't learn how to twirl a baton...all thumbs!

[ May 31, 2006, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Sadie

Re: parades - 05/30/06 06:33 AM

Oh, I taught myself to twirl a baton and wanted to march in the parade , but did not get the chance to do march in the parades , but did learn to tap dance and was a ballet dance for years . Not with the New York City Ballet as I had hoped . Wanted to dance on Broadway , but did not get that chance either . Lost the nerve . Ha!

Re: parades - 05/30/06 06:16 PM

Renee, it's never too late!

I was never a majorette but I did get a baton for Christmas one year. I taught myself how to twirl and got pretty good at it with my sisters.

I can't believe we have a majorette and cheerleader all in one little forum!

Kathy, I think it would all come back to you. I really do. Just like riding a bike. You should give it a try. Your kids would get a kcik out of it.

[ May 30, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: parades - 05/30/06 06:35 PM

Oh, yeah, they'd love it when I bonked myself on the head! Anyone have a baton? Maybe I could start a new group: Baby Boomer Baton Babes!
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: parades - 05/31/06 07:04 AM

What memories! I was the Captain of the Twirling Squad in my High School ( a very long time ago!) I marched in many parades and laugh out loud when I look at old pictures. I too tried out for the Cheerleading Squad but didn't make it. There was always such rivalry between the two squads in our high school. Then lo and behold, one of my daughters became a cheerleader in her high school. So, we still tease each other as to who are more talented. (I think the twirlers are!)

Re: parades - 05/31/06 02:08 PM

Pam, have you ever twirled for your kids?

Our school didn't have a twirling squad. I feel deprived. I guess it wasn't that big in MD because all majorettes belonged to private squads.

Every now and then, we went to the March of Champions that was held at our stadium in the city. Marching bands from the east coast competed. It was huge and most entertaining. It was after that competition that I most wanted to be a majorette.

Did either of you compete in that?

Re: parades - 05/31/06 06:33 PM

Nope, never did that. I was only a majorette for one year - in 8th grade. In high school, I marched with the band (clarinet) for one year, then switched to swim team for the remaining years.

I'm probably not as good as Pam... She was the Captain!! We only had about four girls, so that's probably not enough to count as a squad.

Hey Dotsie, if we ever have a Baby Boomer Women weekend, we could bring things like batons and other items from our youth, and then die laughing as we all try to do what we did way back then...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: parades - 06/01/06 02:22 AM

Well that may be fun bit as a wild and wooley cheerleader I use to do the splits a lot but today if i tried that, I may never be able to get up again...You see my split has become a SPLAT!!!
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: parades - 06/04/06 03:16 AM

Oh yes girls...I can still twirl! It's something you never forget how to do, like riding a bike!! Whenever there is a baton or stick around and we are outside, I have to show off!!!! This old gal still has it!
Posted by: Danita

Re: parades - 06/04/06 06:54 AM

Pam,

I'm a twirler also! Still love to show off also!

danita

Re: parades - 06/04/06 08:59 AM

Okay, I give up. You girls would make me look awful! I'll have to go outside and look for a stick and start practicing....

Kathy
Posted by: JaMaPh

Re: parades - 07/28/06 05:34 AM

Wasn't a majorette and wasn't a cheerleader [other than for my friends]. But I was IN the parade!

We lived in Redding Calif and my dad had a pair of longhorns [still does] and he would mount them on the front of whatever vehicle was pulling the old wagon. Antique wagon. He would load it with hay/straw, and there would be guys playing banjo and guitar and we would be sittin' on the bales of hay and singing old songs, going down the street. I think we were in three parades. What a life I had as a kid.

Musical notes....'I'll give to you a paper of pins and that's the way my love begins, if you will marry me me me, if you will marry me.'
Anyone know that one?

Janine