Posted by: Marmie

Soap Sud Memories - 05/16/06 02:24 AM

-

-

-

-
Posted by: Still Crowded

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/19/06 07:54 AM

Thanks for the memories, and a little drooling. I just bought the memoir of Howard Keel "Only Make Believe."

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/20/06 08:27 PM

I wish they would put the Luke and Laura saga on DVD and re-broadcast episodes of the Edge of NIght.

Those were the glory days of soaps. "Love in the afternoon."
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/21/06 06:41 PM

Are day time soaps as popular now as they were in the 60s and 70s? It seems as though more people were home during the day back then. Just wondering? I'm not a big TV watcher.

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/21/06 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Are day time soaps as popular now as they were in the 60s and 70s? It seems as though more people were home during the day back then. Just wondering? I'm not a big TV watcher.

It seems they were more popular back then. I think the following are key to changing that:

* Cable - more channels, more programs disecting the pie more.

* More women in the workforce.

* Less compelling storylines in soaps today. What other topics can they cover? Pretty much every angle has been covered.

* VCR and DVR's. Many still record these programs, but that data isn't as comprehensive as Nielsen would like.

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/22/06 06:49 PM

And don't you think some of the evening shows are like soaps.

I occasionally watch Desparate Housewives and that reminds me of a soap.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/22/06 08:32 PM

I don't watch soaps. Never have. I have friends who would miss their children's graduation if it meant missing a soap...

I actually don't watch much TV at all. I use to enjoy the forensic files shows until I realized that it was having a negative impact on me (sleepless nights) so I stopped watching those. Now I watch Deal or No Deal (I want on that show) and Piorot on Sundays along with Sherlock Holmes...Murder She Wrote...that's about it.

No soaps for me. I guess my life was too much like one for years...

JJ
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/22/06 08:33 PM

Oh wait...I USE TO WATCH DALLAS FAITHFULLY. If someone had not of shot JR, I would have. Totally forgot about that one. I loved it! HA!

JJ
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/22/06 09:50 PM

My mother has watched Days of Our Lives since I was a little girl. Then, when I grew up and moved out of the house to move in with my boyfriend (aack! we weren't married!!) she quit watching for awhile because "her life was too much like a soap opera")

Oh the drama....

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/23/06 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
And don't you think some of the evening shows are like soaps.

I occasionally watch Desparate Housewives and that reminds me of a soap.

That's a good point. Primetime soaps all started with Dallas in 1978.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/23/06 02:52 AM

I have never watched soaps, not evening night time ones like Dallas. When I was expecting my first born and took naps or rests during the afternoon I began watching General Hospital, watched it for a week and then said yuk! Haven't turned one on since and that was 44 years ago. I will say they give their actors longevity, some have grown old on the different soaps.

[ May 22, 2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/23/06 10:24 PM

Funny you should metnion Dallas. It's the only soap type show my husband and I vere got hooked on.

It came on shortly after we were married. He was in optometry school and I was working. I'd come home from work right before the show with a large pizza and we would eat the whole thing while watching Dallas. the thought of eating a whole pizza scikens me these days. I could never eat that much, that late, then fall asleep. grwoing old is so much fun!
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/24/06 05:03 AM

I loved Dynasty. Just watched the Dynasty reunion. I couldn't believe how old they got. I just loved John Forsythe and I thought Crystal Carrington was so beautiful. I don't think Linda Evans has aged that well. But I loved General Hospital and All My Children. I have seen Susan Lucci twice during Soap Opera weekend in Disney. I have tons of photos of her on my website. She is 59 or 60 now and so pretty and tiny.
Louisa
Posted by: Mother Mystic

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/24/06 05:47 PM

I started watching the soaps in Junior High, rushing home each day to watch Dark Shadows. Summer vacations I got hooked on All My Children (which I still watch). I got home earlier in High School and started watching One Live to Life and General Hospital. When Luke and Laura got married, the college I was attending set up a tv in every building so students could watch the ceremony. I don't watch as regularly as I did when my kids were babies but it's nice to see the same people, now older and in some cases wiser, kind of like seeing an old friend.

Mother Mystic

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/24/06 09:37 PM

Speaking of Luke and Laura. Do you ladies remember the hype around that?

The odd thing was that Luke had initially raped Laura who was married to Scotty at the time.

Yet the viewing audience sided with Luke making Scotty out to be the bad guy.

I could never figure that one out.

[ May 24, 2006, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Marmie ]
Posted by: Mother Mystic

Re: Soap Sud Memories - 05/24/06 11:54 PM

Yeah, me either. Was it supposed to have "awakened an unknown secret desire" in her like the old bodice rippers? Definitely not P.C.!

I actually cheered for Scotty to get her back for the longest time. I never thought Luke was attractive and to me Scotty was a hottie. I named my 2nd child Robert because of the character Robert Scorpio, I just loved the way it sounded when Emma Samms called his name.

Mother Mystic