Miss America

Posted by: Dotsie

Miss America - 04/13/04 02:36 AM

Do any of you remember watching The Miss America Pageant when you were kids? We would all gather around the televison and try to pick the winner.

My husband just came in my office. He's going to the YMCA. When he gets back we're going to watch the pageant with the kids for some mindless fun.

He told me if I hurried I still might be able to make it to Atlantic City! [Eek!]

Hmmm, I don't think the audience wears sunglasses [Cool] to protect their eyes from white legs with cottage cheese. [Razz]

CAn you imagine heals and a bathing suit? Never did like that combination. [Big Grin]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Miss America - 04/13/04 02:46 AM

Has he registered for the Mr. America pageant yet? Or Mr. World maybe, lol? Men, they say the silliest things without even thinking. However the BWS diet shall prevail and the cottage cheese will be as smooth as silk. YES!! [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Miss America - 04/13/04 02:52 AM

We watched it as kids and always tried to predict the winners, too. I always "voted" for the brunettes!

Can't say I've paid much attention to the pagaent in at least 30 years now.

Speaking of swimsuits and heels: I saw a woman at a local beach wearing exactly that! She kept tripping in the sand. What an idiot! [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Miss America - 04/13/04 06:21 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.... what an idiot..... [Big Grin] [Razz] [Cool]
I like your taste Merry.
Posted by: Betty-boop

Re: Miss America - 04/13/04 06:56 AM

There were six of us girls and my mom. We'd get our pj's on early on the night of the pageant, fix lots of popcorn and we'd all sit on the floor around the tv with our notebooks, taking notes and picking our winners. It was a very big deal at our house.

Later, when I had girls, they'd watch it when they were real young, but as they became teens, I'd find that I watched it by myself with the dog by my side.

Tonight it was on tv, I stopped for a moment and watched it, then turned off the tv. I wonder if it was 'watching the show' that was so exciting, or was it 'the closeness of the family' while watching it? Sad how things change.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Miss America - 04/13/04 05:27 PM

Betty, sounds like we had simialr childhoods. I had 3 sisters and 1 brother. We'd also sit around with pen and paper and try to pick the winner. I remember it being in Atlantic City and viewed on the weekend. Do you?

I think it has more to do with watching it as a group too. My daughter didn't want to watch last night. My son was in and out of the room, but my husband and I watched. I definitely think the more the merrier. The funniest part is listening to all the comments. I was the only one with a pen and paper. [Wink]

Could you believe how skinny those women were? Some of their stomachs looked concave. Ewww! [Eek!]