High school in the late 60's, early 70's

Posted by: dejavu

High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/11/10 10:31 AM

I'll soon be attending my 40th high school reunion, it doesn't seem possible that 40 years have gone by so quickly.

However, between catching up with old classmates, leafing through my yearbook, and playing some of my high school fave songs, I've been remembering a lot of things.

I graduated in 1970. My senior year was the first year we girls were allowed to wear slacks (SLACKS, not JEANS) to class. Before that, we had to wear dresses or skirts every day. I remember vividly waiting for the bus in the early Michigan-winter mornings, feeling that cold air draft while wearing my short (above the knee) skirts!

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/11/10 10:38 AM

I also remember Heaven-Sent perfume, 'poorboy' shirts, Mary Quant baby-doll dresses and maxi-dresses. I remember senior boys coming to school looking sick the day after the draft lottery. I remember Dynel wigs (it's not fake, it's real DYNEL). My senior prom dress was SO modest compared to the ones they wear now, high-waisted and ruffle-necked, blue chiffon and lace. I remember going to see the big blockbuster movie, "Airport".

One of the songs that really takes me back, The Carpenters singing "Close to You".

At the time of high school graduation, I was 2 months away from turning 18, and only 3 months and six days away from meeting the man I would marry and am still married to. Who'd have guessed?

Carolyn
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 03:15 AM

Oh Carolyn, what a great post!!

You and I graduated from high school the same year, and in similar parts of the country. I was in Madison, Wisconsin.

I too recall the desire to wear something besides skirts to school. We used to have one day a year that was called "Dress Down Day" and on that day we could actually wear jeans.

This was so significant that I actually recall my Dad asking me why I was dressed the way I was...

Of course, we used to have school spirit days and other special days too. On school spirit days we were all supposed to wear our school colors to class.

Our colors were purple and gold, and I remember that I found some boldly striped (as in 2 inch stripes) purple and gold fabric from which I made myself a PANTSUIT. I proudly wore this on school spirit days. I don't recall my kids ever having a dress-up day like this when they were in high school...

As for MY senior prom dress, it was a simple long A-line dress in apricot, with a high round neck with a rather demure slit that definitely didn't show any cleavage. Sleeveless and it probably had a slit up the side seam so I could dance...It's only decoration was a bit of floral embroidery at the neck. My date brought me an apricot colored rose corsage, to wear on my wrist... I recall thinking that it was quite sophisticated.

As for maxidresses, I loved 'em, but my pride and joy was my bright red wool maxi COAT, which I wore with knee high black boots with small heels. I thought I was really "hot stuff" in that coat!

Who else remembers high school fashions from the late 60s and early 70s?

Such fun memories!
Posted by: Anno

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 12:59 PM

I also graduated in 1970 from Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

My father was a teacher in the other high school in Eau Claire. My grandfather had been a principal at the high school I attended until he died when I was 13. I was well known among all the staff and was expected to behave. And I did - until I hit my sophomore year.

Our skirts were suppose to be no shorter than 2 inches above our knees. I was tall and rail thin and I liked mini-skirts. So I wore one to school. My homeroom teacher sent me to the office and the principal called my dad at school. He expected my dad to pick me up and take me home to change.

My dad said he had a job to do and I had a job to do. His was to teach his kids and mine was to learn from my teachers. He said I would stay in school just the way I was and my teachers would teach me. I stayed in my mini-skirt and nothing was said to me for the rest of the day about my clothes.

I was so proud of my father! All he said to me when I got home was that I had better never do anything again that would warrant another phone call!

The next day several girls wore mini-skirts.

A week later I wore jeans to school. Not one teacher said a word.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 03:21 PM

Oh wow, a rebel! I was so NOT.
One of the things that hits me from time to time, is that back then, even for someone who grew up middle-class, we had so few possessions compared to now. As kids, we had toys but weren't INUNDATED with them. I think we valued them more, too.

When I was in high school, I had the clothes my mom bought for me, but added to them with the things I bought myself, and each purchase had to be saved up for. A simple oxford shirt represented fourteen hours of babysitting money, or seven hours of working at the snack counter of a department store. A record album cost about half that. So each of my purchases meant something to me.

Anne, your red maxi coat had to be FAB. I had a navy pea coat which was the height of style for less dressy moments. Wore it with a 'tam' and a long striped scarf in the winter. Back then I hated carrying a purse (still do, but even more necessary now), so I carried the smallest one I could find. I vividly remember one with a leather patchwork design.

Carolyn
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 06:42 PM

Anno when we do things that have an impact like you did does it sets the pace to walk to our own drum..
and as many people do not know how to be authentic..or how to set and move bounderies they never find out the sheer happiness of not following the "crowd"
wish I had known you at school..
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 07:27 PM

I remember thinking it was unfair that while the boys got to wear pants, girls had to wear skirts, and wow! it was cold waiting for the bus in Pennsylvania. I loved fashion, and sewed many of my own clothes. Nowadays, I might consider that I was a trend-setting fashion designer! I never liked carrying a purse. Anno, your dad handled that fashion incident so well!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/12/10 07:58 PM

I graduated in 1967 from high school. I was rather conservative, and did not flow with the hippy movement. I didn’t mind wearing skirts, even down to the knees. I never thought that was important.

I travelled to Europe almost every summer, worked as a waitress in hotel restaurants, so maybe instead of being a hippy, I was more bohemian. I loved meeting people from all over the world. I was the tall young girl wearing a wide brimmed sun hat, huge dark sun glasses, clad in either a mini dress, or a flowered dress down to my calves.

During the last two high school years, I was head over heals in love with a black man. At that time that was unspeakable. My parents forbade me to date him. I did anyway, but with the secrets and the sneaking going on, I missed out on a lot of beautiful events. It was a very sad and trying time for me then, because I felt like singing to the world how in love I was, but for reasons beyond my comprehension, I wasn’t allowed to.

So, in my own little way, I was revolutionary, I guess.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/13/10 01:21 AM

I graduated from high school in 1966; I think I was always a rebel though at the time I really didn't know why I didn't fit in with other groups. When I went to nursing school and was away from my mom, I truly blossomed into a rebel with a capital R LOL. I got into trouble a time or two at nursing school, sneaking out after the housemother left among other things. I think they were glad when I graduated and was gone! I never did anything serious enough to get kicked out, but close.

My favorite outfit was a purple pantsuit with bell bottoms and a lace up top. I loved that and an orange mini dress I wore a lot. I managed to fall down the stairs at New Orleans International Airport in the purple pantsuit. Not exactly the attention I was looking for! blush
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/13/10 11:39 PM

EW, the story of your lost love made me feel sad. I'm sorry to hear that the climate of the times messed with your heart. It's no wonder you are comfortable living in Europe. Yonuh, it's better you fell down the stairs in the pant suit than in the mini dress.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/17/10 07:06 PM

Anno I love the story of your Dad standing up for you at school but laying down the law at home. Sounds so much like my Dad at the time.

And Carolyn, I bought all my own clothes. Like you, I saved my allowance, my baby sitting money -- and eventually got a job at a trendy boutique and later at Gimbel's Dept. store, so that I could afford the clothes I wanted to wear. I also sewed just about all of my clothes, as I saw that as a way to get more clothes for my dollar...

That red maxi coat was not only my pride and joy but one of my personal creations. It sure did help keep me warm -- which was imperative since I likely was wearing a mini skirt underneath and Wisconsin winters are brutal!

Edelweiss, your love story rivals the one they made the movie about. My parents told me that they would allow me to date a Black boy if I so chose, but they wanted me to know that society would not look kindly on my actions... I hardly dated in high school, so it was pretty much a moot point for me, but I was glad to know I would have had my parents' support.

Posted by: chatty lady

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/17/10 10:45 PM

All your storys are very entertaining. Me, I wore a plaid
jumper and white cotton blouse and socks everyday for the 8 years I attended Catholic school. In High school I wore either a flared felt Poodle skirt with a cute sweater, bobbie socks and black and white saddle shoes. Sonetimes a slim line skirt and fancy sweater with a little white collar. I ALWAYS wore Levi Jeans after school and on weekends after church. Boy I thought I was so svelte, NOT!!!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/22/10 01:26 PM

I don't remember very much from those days. I can't for the life of me remember what I wore in high school. I think a pair of blue jeans with the wide flared legs was my favourite, but the only reason I know that is because I found the jeans tucked away in the back of my closet when we cleaned out the family home. I remember lots of other things, but not the styles. I can't even remember what I wore to graduation.

But I DO remember wearing bright red corduroy pants to school when I was very young. They were warm and cozy, but oh, how I hated the sound they made when I walked. And I also remember the day I went to school and took my snowsuit off and realized I had forgotten to put any pants on underneath. LOL.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/22/10 06:31 PM

Eagle Heart,

That snow suit episode sounds like the sort of thing I used to have nightmares about having happen to me!

Did you wear your snow pants all day at school - or go home and finish dressing?

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/22/10 06:49 PM

I had to wear my snowsuit all day! But at least we were able to unzip the jacket and fold it back, so I only had to wear the pants. Good thing it was only kindergarten - I don't remember anyone ever teasing me about it afterward.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/23/10 12:52 PM

I remember some of my clothes from college in the early 70's - I had a suede vest with fringe down to my knees that I really loved. Blouses of thin cotton, semi-sheer, with embroidery and huge full sleeves. Embroidered jeans. Patchwork leather purse. Faux hippie gear (I say 'faux' because I was so not a hippie - no drugs, no tripping, I was a good Catholic girl, boring!). I also drove a bright orange VW Beetle. Loved that car, right up until the moment someone plowed into me and turned it into a half-Beetle.

Carolyn

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/23/10 03:49 PM

The no pants episode Eagle Heart recalls..many times little girls were missing panties..seems once they started dressing themselves they just forgot..always managed to rustle up some from the stock cupboard..Never the old navy type I recall from my own schooldays..fresh new ones bought as a backup...and of course little accidents meant they were used for "wet" days.,made sure those I bought were unisex...and not frilly for little boys off days.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/25/10 01:25 PM

MA, we did the same thing when I worked in a daycare centre. My co-teacher and I made frequent trips to the used clothing store to pick up play clothes to keep in the room...we had parents who insisted on sending their daughters to daycare with pretty party dresses...and then would get upset when those dresses (and daughters) ended up getting messed up. So as soon as the parents left, we'd change the girls into play clothes, which meant they had a much more fun (and less stressful) day, then would change them back just before their parents arrived. We also bought lots of old men's shirts to use as paint shirts. They were long enough to cover most of the child's body, and the children seemed to love dressing up in "daddy shirts".

As for me, I do remember that I had panties and navy tights on...in today's fashion world, that would now be considered a chic look, LOL!

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/25/10 01:50 PM

I would launder lost property that was from the term before to recycle.The PE staff endevoured to find owners..so eventually came my way .School ties...sweatshirts are universal.
These garments were used on a need basis..staff brought unused underwear from relations also.

Eagle we were doing the same thing in different places.
Posted by: orchid

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 08/27/10 05:55 PM

I must admit I seldom reminisce that time period in my life...I was in high school in mid-to late 1970's.

I learned to sew alot of my own clothing..simply because there wasn't enough money from parents for all us kids to be fashionable. Like Anne, I was proud of my creations and my friends knew I sewed my stuff..they saw it as an extension of my natural love of creating things.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 10/05/10 10:49 PM

1968 grad, Chicago. We had to wear skirts that touched mid-knee, and weren't allowed to wear boots -- so I remember too many snow blizzards where the girls had to remove their pants and snow boots outside the high school's front door. Snow blizzards, howling winds, and brutal cold -- and we had to change outside! Ugh.

I broke rules because they were arbitrary, and no one could ever explain to me why these rules existed. I demanded logic; instead, I was given lectures on, "Why is a smart girl like you breaking all the rules?" And my answer always was, "Because I AM a smart girl, and these rules are illogical."

So I was in detention hall an average of 3 days a week, with the girls who smoked in the bathroom and the boys who were flunking out. I regarded it as a small inconvenience to pay for my principles, and extra time to work on my math equations.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 10/05/10 11:08 PM

one of the girls in detention hall taught me how to roll my skirts up at the waist, and when we saw certain teachers (the ones who were gung-ho on dress code rules) just pull it down fast. Or wear giant clip-on earrings (also against school rules) and pull those off fast too.

I kept a chart of my outfits, and never wore the same one twice within 6 months. All different colors, and I'd mix-n-match and change it up with accessories. I was quite the clothes horse.

My favorite item of clothing was for after-school only -- knee-high, rust suede boots with fringe. My first year of college, I saved up for months to buy knee-high, lace-up purple suede platform boots which I saw at Bonwit Tellers in downtown Chicago. Unfortunately, my feet grew and these no longer fit, but I still have them in back of my closet. I loved those boots.

Anne, I would've loved that red coat too!
Posted by: westcoaster

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 01/25/11 10:12 PM

I graduated in 1968, and remember boys wearing Jade East after shave, and girls with hair "falls" which clipped into your pulled back hair. I made my own dresses and loved to have coordinating jewellery, plastic necklaces and bangles, and shoes ordered from the Sears Catalog. I also remember black eyeliner and pale beige or whitish lipstick.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 01/26/11 01:38 AM

OMG! Westcoaster you sound just like us in our highschool. I look back at photos now when I was young and am shocked I went out lookinhg like some kind of ghoul, pretty, but goulishy just the same. White lipsick...BLAH!!!!
Posted by: jabber

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 01/29/11 02:44 PM

These postings are such fun to read. I was in detention a lot,
too, Divine. But I was one of the girls that smoked in school;
a bit of a rebel, I was back then. Life slapped that out of me!

I forgot to say I met my 1st husband, the first day of high
school. Shouldn't have taken Business Law, I guess. The next
eighteen years of life, went South by Southeast; it's out there
in the ocean somewhere. LOL...

White lipstick isn't any worse than the black fingernail polish they use nowadays. IM humble O...
Posted by: greene

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 01/31/11 05:21 PM

I was a "goody two shoes" in high school. Very unpopular, while the others dated, etc. I waited for the bell to ring so I could go out to a friends place and ride horses. We thought of ourselves as 'above it all', in retrospect I wonder if we would have thought the same thing if we were accepted by the 'in crowd'.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 01/31/11 08:19 PM

The high school I attended had an "in-crowd" too, greene. Needless to say, back in those days, living on a farm wasn't
the in-thing! I'd fit right in, nowadays. Most everybody wants to be country, it seems.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/01/11 06:27 PM

You're so right about the "farm living" thing, Jabber! Despite living in Wisconsin's capital city, Madison, which is a very cultured place, I've learned over the years that most Easterners apparently think anything west of the Hudson River is part of the "wild west."

Even so, back where I was, about the rudest thing some of my friends could think to call someone during our high school days, was, "farmer!" As in, "he's such a farmer," which implied that one was a stupid clod.

Of course, in high school and college, I did get out to the farms of some of my parent's friends. And I was always amazed at the sophistication of these people's lives. THEY had on-premises access to in-ground swimming pools with poolside changing cabanas, that were essentially guest-houses. While I had to leave home and either go to the Y or the country club to swim...

But once I got to college, I had a number of sorority sisters who had grown up on farms. I shortly discovered they were just as cultured - and just as well-dressed -- as the city girls.

Besides which, I used to envy them the fact that whenever they needed money, they'd just call home and tell their parents to sell another one of their cows from their own personal dairy herds...

Me, I was working 10-20 hours a week for slightly over minimum wage ($1.65/hour if memory serves) in a department store, and only took home a hundred dollars a month, if that.

Of course, I didn't take into account the overhead costs in raising the cattle - I just saw the big payout - and drooled! LOL!

And you're right -- these days, people WANT to live in the country.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/02/11 02:57 PM

I just wish I had had more appreciation for what I had, when I had it. Now I look back and thank God for all I was given. When I was young, I took too much granted. These days, I'm grateful for every moment.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/02/11 06:06 PM

I'm a huge believer in the power of gratitude.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/03/11 02:04 PM

When you look around the world at unrest and uprisings, gratitude
is the first thing which pops into your head. The 2nd thought is
praying for God to send the Holy Spirit Comforter to undergird
those in need.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/08/11 07:19 PM

I graduated in 1967 Rock Falls, Illinois. Amazing to think it's been that long. I was not part of the "in" crowd but had my own set of girlfriends. My sisters and I were not allowed to attend any after school functions or join clubs because we had to go right home. No real idea why, those were just the rules of my family. As a family we did lots of things so I guess they thought we went to school to learn and that was that. I was pretty religious then and carried my Bible to school and read it during my Study Halls when my work was done. We had two hours a day in study halls.
We also had to wear skirts or dresses that, if the teachers thought was too short, we had to kneel on the floor and the hem better touch it. If not, we were sent home to change. Never any slacks allowed. I thought the dress code was terrible and knew they stopped it a couple of years after I graduated.
Sounds like that was the norm for everyone at the time. But still glad I'm from those days.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/09/11 08:37 PM

Schools nowadays allow jeans, I think. I would've loved that.
Never did take to dresses much. But we had to wear skirts or
dresses, too, Sandpiper. I wonder why we have to get a few years
on us, before we see how precious those days actually were????

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/11/11 01:54 PM

I met my first husband in high school. That tells you how
much I focused on studies. You know the ole adage; if only
life were a dress rehearsal.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 02/12/11 03:33 PM

Knowing what I know now, I surely would've done things much
differently.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 03/31/11 03:15 AM

While I was on vacation last week, my lifelong friend and co-author Sandra Allen posted some photos of us from high school. One of them shows us in big hair curlers with scarves tied under our chins, decorating my mom and dad's station wagon for our junior high school's football game. How could we stand wearing those spiky metal rollers? Guess that was the price of beauty.

Here's the link to her posts:

I.O.U. Sex Blog

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 03/31/11 11:46 PM

Those are hilarious photos, thanks for sharing. Don't we all remember those rollers?

Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's - 04/07/11 09:24 AM

The clubhouse of the resort I live in is having a Disco Party on Friday and asked us to come in clothes from that era if we have them. I have one pair of high platform boots and a fake pony tail on a clasp but bell bottom pants, nope! I am going however because it sounds like such fun and they are having food of that era as well. I do have a very short dress so that might work?