Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans..

Posted by: orchid

Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 04/29/09 09:57 PM

Maybe this was more of a cultural peculariity where I grew up (in southern Ontario), but I do remember some kids had a rabbit's foot on a keychain. It was like some sort of fun, lucky charm thing. It was dyed in different colours.

Now looking back, it's just wierd. shocked

I never got into charm(s) for jewellery or got into charm bracelets period. Nor did I have necklace lock. I never had my own doll nor stuffed animal since we didn't have alot of toys when growing up. So toys had to be shared.

Did you have any item that you wore or dragged around like some sort of security blanket or lucky charm?
Posted by: Lola

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 04/30/09 05:23 AM

A rosary. I've always had a rosary in my pocket since childhood. The only thing that has changed over the years is its size, colour, type and where it is made or bought. I carry a small one now and it's of grey pearl made for me by Meredith. It's not a charm but, a security blanket for my soul as it's a prayer reminder. I actually think of Meredith everytime I use, see or feel it in my pocket...followed by a litany of blessing for her and everyone here.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 04/30/09 12:45 PM

I usually ended up breaking any toy I had, so nothing was sacred around me. I did manage to save my Little Women's doll so that survived me. But no lucky charms or rabbit's feet.

I did have and DO have a charm bracelet. I love them.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 04/30/09 03:00 PM

Quote:
I actually think of Meredith everytime I use, see or feel it in my pocket...followed by a litany of blessing for her and everyone here.

Gosh Lola, that is really touching.
I carried a tiny little bear in my pocket where ever I went. My grandmother bought it for me in Berlin after we visited the zoo. I almost traded it off for a package of twinkies at lunch time, but decided love is stronger than lust. lol
Posted by: humlan

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 04/30/09 03:24 PM

I wear a ring from my grandparents that is a combination of their engagement rings.. it´s square and has 2 diamonds in the middle..surrounded by very tiny diamonds..I think this type of ring is called something..but I don+t know what. My grandparents were very very dear to me during my troubled and problem filled childhood..and they represent a lifestyle that we had in the Czech Rep before we had to flee..when I was a baby..and they are the one´s that smuggled me over the border..way back when..after the 2nd WW. So this ring is a symbol of so many things..courage, love, beauty. culture, knowledge..and above all, it is my grandparents, who died many years ago now.

Then I have a very small statue of Our Lady in my wallet..given to me by someone who means VERY VERY MUCH to me..a pastor from Sudan. I am not much of a believer anymore..but this little statue goes with me everywhere,too.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/02/09 11:07 AM

I love the rosary story. It reminds me of Mom.

EW, I'm laughing at your story. How funny you are.

humlan, Did you design the ring? WHat a touching story. Now onder you wear it!

jj, silver or gold bracelet?

orchid, I guess Im'm with you on this. I can't say I have one particular object that I've always had or treasured. What's up with that?
Posted by: jabber

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/02/09 01:50 PM

I had a rabbit's foot when I was a kid. These days, I wear my
adoptive mom's baby ring on my pinky and my adoptive grandmother's diamond engagement ring on my ring finger, for luck.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/02/09 08:21 PM

Rabbit's foot- Jabber, at least I don't feel as if I grew up in a wierd, hillbilly warp. I even remember feeling the little tiny claw in the foot. Maybe it wasn't a real rabbit's foot, just a piece of plastic covered with fake fur.

But I thought about this and realized how ancient/primitive that strange childhood charm was.

I don't have anything for luck. But now I just realized I'm not 100% where I stored the childhood red stone ring that my parents gave to me from the penny store. It was garnet coloured..but fake. My birthstone is garnet. The ring was so big on my finger that my mother wrapped some red thread around it so I could wear it for a few wks. Then I got bored and stored it away. But I do take it out occasionally just to look at it.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/03/09 06:50 AM

Dots, did your Mom collect Holy/Prayer cards as well?

Humlan, I used to have one of those little wallets in my bags. It was only 2-inch and carried a statue of the Holy Infant of Prague and was a gift from my Dad. It also came with a short prayer. I must still have it somewhere. Probably in one of the boxes from the States which I still have to unpack.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/03/09 01:08 PM

Dots, both...

Orchid, I do remember feeling of a rabbit's foot that some friend had and it was yucky. It did feel real though and I kept thinking of some rabbit somewhere hopping on one foot. I hated it.

Garnet is my birthstone as well.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/04/09 01:30 PM

My adoptive mom and grandma were from the old school and fairly superstitious. Guess that rubbed off on me.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/04/09 02:31 PM

jj, you have both on the same bracelet, or you have silver and a gold bracelets. I love Mom's charm bracelet. It had the little gold heads for each of her children with our birthdates on the back, anniversary charms from Dad, and a few Mother's Day charms too.

Lola, she didn't collect them, but certainly had some. She also had a scapula that she kept close.

My SIL went to the Vatican this summer. For Christmas, she gave all of us these very Irish looking rosaries that had been blessed by a priest. I cherish it. It's on my bedside table even though I'm protestant and don't say the rosary as a practice. Trust me. I recall how it's done.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/06/09 08:33 PM

Have you got your Mom's scapular, and was she a member of the Carmel Scapular Confraternity, Dotsie? Mom was, and I continue to be. However, I wear a gold scapular medal now in place of the brown cloth.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/06/09 09:30 PM

The rabits feet weren't so lucky for the rabbit so why would they be lucky for anyone else?

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/06/09 11:09 PM

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/07/09 06:33 PM

Love it. Now do we rub it for good luck? I see you all touching your screens.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/07/09 08:39 PM

NOPE, not rubbing some foot on a chain. Imagine the poor rabbit limping about on three feet.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/07/09 08:53 PM

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/08/09 01:24 PM

Chatty, your response doesn't surprise me.

Lola, a good friend once gave my son a horseshoe for good luck. She told him to sit it with the open end up so luck would pour in on him. Even though I don't beleive in luck, I still thought it was a neat gift.

Love the four leaf clover in the mix.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/31/09 05:21 AM

Quote:
I carry a small one now and it's of grey pearl made for me by Meredith. It's not a charm but, a security blanket for my soul as it's a prayer reminder. I actually think of Meredith everytime I use, see or feel it in my pocket...followed by a litany of blessing for her and everyone here.

Lola, I just read this and am both happy and humbled. Thank you, my friend, I'm honored to have a part in your life.

When I was in grade school, I always dragged books with me wherever we went. I had a rabbit's foot on a keychain too, from one of my cousins. Yes, in retrospect, very weird. In Jr. High School I had a troll doll with fluorescent orange hair.

My Grandmother got me a charm bracelet with the Ten Commandments, but I was only allowed to wear it to Shabbat services. Probably because I was such a tomboy and would've broken it if I wore it every day.

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 05/31/09 02:10 PM

I'm touched by the way many of us carry our BWS friends with us.
Posted by: Rachel2

Re: Rabbit's foot, charms, talismans.. - 06/02/09 02:42 PM

Growing up it was hard to keep anything that was special to me since my parents didnt seem to treasure or care about what was inportant to me. Looking at them then envoked special memories of happier times. But through the years I have had things made for me that I treasured like a blanket, a doll lamp my grandmother made me before she passed away. But I think the one thing that has always been consistant was my note books I kept my writings in.

Unfortunately over time they have ben lost in moves and such because those in my life did not hold the same value on them I did/do. But as an adult my note books have evolved onto a lap top I treasure with my writings in it.

( now to recapture the past and remember the writings I did growing up- any hypnotists out there) hehe.