Have a blog? Join me.

Posted by: Lavinia

Have a blog? Join me. - 07/18/08 02:57 PM

I started something new on my blog today http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com and want to invite you all. If you have a blog, you can join me. The details are on my blog, but basically, I am asking bloggers to post a photo and no more than 100 words about the memories it evokes, on their blog every Friday. What better project for a baby-boomer. After posting on your own blog, visit mine and leave me a comment letting me know. I will edit my post throughout the day to include links to every blog that participates in what I'm calling "Photo Finish Friday."

Why do I want to do this? Because I think every one of us thinks about writing our own story, but few of us take the time to do it. We always think there will be more time...later. Just imagine if your parents or grandparents had taken the time to pair a hundred words with a photo...what a treasure that would be.

The added benefit is that web-cruisers will be able to visit blogs that have a short, quick post to read. Sometimes that's all you want - short and sweet. So anyway-come on by for a visit. Hope to see you there. ~Karen
Posted by: Anno

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/18/08 05:13 PM

Interesting idea, Lavina. If I were to participate, would I have to do this every Friday, or just when and how often I am able?
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/18/08 07:52 PM

Absolutely fantastic idea Karen! I love your blog with you and your dad. My sisters and myself have written a book of a short time in our lives when we were very small children. It will be out sometime this summer yet. It's called, "Kaleidoscope Memories - Childhood Stories That Celebrate Family Life."

The book came about because we had asked our parents years ago to put their memories on paper or tape for us, but they didn't get it done. We decided we didn't want that to happen to our children so we began our journed into our memories. There will be other books but this was the beginning for us. So, friend, I understand about putting your memories down and sharing them before it's too late.

This is a great idea you have and I hope to be able to share with you all.

I'm putting together a workshop on how to write your personal memories as so many do not know how to go about it or are fearful.

Best of luck with the Friday postings.
Posted by: Lavinia

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/19/08 02:30 AM

Anno-by all means, just post when you can. I realize not everyone will want to post each and every Friday. Just let me know when you do, so I can "link" you.

Sandpiper-That is so great! What a wonderful catalyst you had. We are a people of procrastination, aren't we. Somehow we all think there will be more time, either to write our own stories or to interview our parents or grandparents. Time is precious, but it often doesn't give second chances. I love the idea of your book. Would you consider being interviewed for my blog? If so, please either email me or send me a PM. Your book sounds great! ~Karen
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/19/08 01:32 PM

You gals may want to be on the NABBW teleseminar this week. The founder of the National Association of Memoir Writers is going to talk about journaling. Anyone have questions for her?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/19/08 07:09 PM

I find mosty blogs informative and some are fun. I however have NO time left in the day to blog, what could I do without, not my work and cartainly not this forum...Hummm, how do you spell clone?
Posted by: Dee

Re: Have a blog? Join me. - 07/20/08 02:36 PM

Lavinia...I cruised through your blog site and found it interesting...love the photos of your dad and town and all. I, like Chatty, do not have time for something like a blog. Since early retirement I wonder how I ever found time for work...I'm so busy doing the things I wanted to do but never had time for.
But, I think it's really cool...how in the world do you even start a blog?