An Email from a Boomer Reader

Posted by: Pam R.

An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 06:38 AM

I just received an email from Jena10 stating it came from the Ivory Coast. Apparently she got my email address from the boomer website (stated so in the email). It is a religious email with a sad family story, asking for money to be wired to her country. Of course I deleted it but I am wondering if anyone else has gotten one too.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 06:59 AM

I got it, too, in a private message. I'm sure it's a scam.

[ April 21, 2006, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 07:43 AM

I got one too.
It's definately a scam!
I've received many of them.
I can't believe anyone would think there are people in this world that would fall for something like that.
They think because we're Boomer Women that we're old and crazy!
I don't think soooooooo!!!!
Lynne
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 08:33 AM

Yup, it IS a scam. There are programs that can go through sites like this and scoop up all of our email addresses and send junk.

Please do NOT respond to that email or you WILL be scammed.

Kathy
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 04:42 PM

I got it too. She signed up for the forums and used the private message to do this. She's been deleted.

I am sorry about this. It's a first.

I've gotten these emails before but not through BWS.

FYI: this person does not have your email address since it was sent through the forums. Email addresses are never given away at BWS or NABBW.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/21/06 06:17 PM

Thanks Dotsie,
I was wondering about that email too!
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/22/06 07:49 AM

Whew! I got it, too.

Thanks for protecting us, Dotsie!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/22/06 01:46 AM

This is a great way for someone to pray on peoples greed and then fleece them.....Boy did this individual come to the wrong placed.

[ April 21, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/22/06 05:23 AM

Thanks Dotsie for protecting us!!

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/23/06 02:27 AM

One has to wonder if anyone is ever gullible enough to fall for a scam like this one.
Posted by: norma

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/23/06 08:15 AM

on the question of emails from the boomer women site, does anyone know 'hilda bogaert from beligium' ? .... i got an email from her with quite specific questions about my interest in a particular religious topic, which i didn't think i had mentioned here.... i answered her questions, and her further emails, which included much of her personal history, then suddenly her emails which had been daily stopped all together, and she had sounded quite depressed in the last one ..... does this sound familiar to any of you.... norma
Posted by: ChristinaR

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/24/06 12:28 AM

Just for the record.........I have never received any E-Mails or PMs relating to this Forum such as you all are discussing.

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/25/06 12:43 AM

This was one of those supposedly from a foreign nation and they say their father was the King or some such bull and he was killed and left them a billion dollars and they need you're help to spirit it into this country for them by putting a check into your account in your bank then when she/he gets here they will cut you in so to speak of thousands of dollars for helping them...Whats wrong with this picture?????? I imasgine there have been greedy immature people mentally that have fallen for this SCAM and they just keep trying it over and over but I was surprised to see it here on BWS. But of course we older women aren't too bright doncha know? LOL
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/27/06 06:56 AM

good grief.

I get at least a couple of those a day and don't even read them. They are *all* scams and yes, people do fall for them. More's the pity. Thee are a lot of lonely people in this world who grab at any hand being offered, even when that hand is wide open and headed for their wallet.

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/28/06 04:24 AM

Shouldn't laugh here but your description was priceles. Open hand heading for their wallet...

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/29/06 07:08 AM

They also prey on the elderly. My dad has gotten a couple calls from guys who keep him on the phone and get all buddy, buddy. Then they tell him to give them his checking account number. He plays along and plays along, and then throws them for a loop at the end when he asks them for their checking account number.

He's sharp!

He even tried to report one guy once, but no one wanted to listen to what Dad had to say, so the corruption continues.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/29/06 03:55 AM

Dotsie...Your Dad is awesome!!! I bet that shyster who tried to scam your Dad almost swallowed his tongue when he heard your Dad turning the tables on him...I love this story...i just hate the part about scam artists preying on our aging population... [Frown]

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/30/06 07:38 AM

Dad goes out every morning, runs errands and visits. He's home in the afternoons and evenings so he has time to fool around with all the telemarketers. He gets a kick out of it.

Re: An Email from a Boomer Reader - 04/30/06 01:28 AM

Bless his heart, he sounds like my mom, a real pistol...