Posting your Avatar in the Forums

Posted by: jawjaw

Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/25/08 06:28 PM

Ladies, I'm adding yet another post here (don't shoot me) that will help anyone who needs to know how to get their picture posted above their name. Lots of people would like for others to see them and get to know them better, thus, they would like their pic here for all to see. Some like cute images, others have chosen the stock avatar's that come with this forum. But....for those wanting to add a pic of their chosing, here are the instructions!

Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to get your picture in the forums. I'm referring to having it appear on the left-hand side of the page with your name each time you post. It will be your avatar of choice.

1. Go to the forums---at the top you'll see this menu:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Control Panel ~ Forum List ~ My Stuff ~ User List ~ Calendar ~ Active Topics ~ Search ~ FAQ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Select MY STUFF.

3. From that menu, select PROFILE.

4. Once in the PROFILE page, scroll down to near the bottom until you see "Select the radio button next to the option you are using to change your image."

Within that section, click in the button that says, "URL to your avatar (Your image must be smaller than 80x80 pixels; .GIF, .JPG, .png accepted)"

5. Put in the address, or URL of your picture. It must reside on the Internet somewhere. It cannot be a picture on your computer. It must have an address that begins with "http"

6. The picture can only be the size of 80x80 pixels as stated above.

7. Once you have entered the address, or URL, click SUBMIT at the bottom of the page.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/25/08 06:58 PM

WOW JJ, even a blind man could understand these directions, thanks a bunch!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 12:57 AM

OK, I tried like 3 dozen times and unable to accomplish this simple task! Yikes!

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 02:25 AM

MustangGal, if you'd like, send me the pic and I'll put it on there for you...no prob!
Posted by: underwearmaven

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 07:34 PM

Hi Queen JJ, Thanks! I think I did it but I don't see my photo as I'm typing this reply. But maybe it will come after I send. I had to get creative on where to post my picture on the internet. I'm having fun! thanks again, Lea
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 07:44 PM

I've got a question about the photo gallery pictures. Since we upload our pictures from a file off of our computers to the boomer site photo gallery, does this mean it becomes property of the forum and then we no longer have control over whether we want to keep the picture posted or not? Just curious.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:10 PM

Good question. For clairty, do you mean, can you personally delete it at a later date if you'd like?

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:27 PM

I can say that I have personally deleted photos from the gallery, but I'm not sure if anyone can. They would not, however, be considered OUR property. We'll have to check on the other side of that question, though. Would someone other than Dotsie or myself like to try and delete their photo?

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:28 PM

ps--Lea...that is a precious picture!
Posted by: gims

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:43 PM

I deleted the image of the shy smiley (the image above dotsie - bottom) from my computer. It did not effect the image of the smiley @ BWS, as you can see. Maybe the Photo Gallery forum works basically like photobucket, a storage unit.

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:43 PM

psss. I agree, Lea, that is a precious pic.
Posted by: underwearmaven

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 08:53 PM

Thank you! You're pics cute too! smile Lea

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
Good question. For clairty, do you mean, can you personally delete it at a later date if you'd like?

Yes, Dotsie that is exactly it. I was just curious because I didn't want to leave pictures up that everyone might be tired of seeing.

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 10:26 PM

Gimster, I could be wrong, but I think what they(whoever?) was asking is can they delete it from HERE, not their computer. Right? Anybody?

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 10:39 PM

I think you're right, JJ.
Because there is no 'delete' option/button, I assumed they meant like other forums where a member has control of an image album and/or image link.
When I post an image in a BWS forum other than Photo Gallery, I can delete (or relocate, in some cases) the image from my computer files. The forum will show the 'red-X' on BWS, after my deletion. This will happen, too, if one deletes an avatar image from their computer files and not the 'My Stuff/Profile' image, the personal computer being the image storage unit.
I'm thinking the Photo Gallery is like photobucket in being able to store images from and away from one's computer.
BUT, there is no delete option like photobucket. I tried the right click/delete. Didn't work. Owners and moderators may be the only ones with the tools.

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 11:04 PM

So when you go to the PHOTO GALLERY section, and click in the box where you picture is, then go to the bottom of the page, there isn't an option for you to delete the photo?

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
So when you go to the PHOTO GALLERY section, and click in the box where you picture is, then go to the bottom of the page, there isn't an option for you to delete the photo?

No, there isn't an option to delete the photo.

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 11:46 PM

This is what I see when I go to the shy smiley image post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I going to the right place?

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/26/08 11:48 PM

hmmm, I shouldn't have used the dashes to separate it from the text... splayed the page

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/27/08 12:27 AM

yes, that is what I get too if I click on the image...but I'm talking about BEFORE you click on it. When you go the photo gallery and just click on the PAGE that your image is on.

There should be two options beside it. They are below:

Forum Options

Inline Moderation

Re: Posting your Avatar in the Forums - 08/27/08 12:48 AM

JJ, can you join as a regular member (non-moderator) to see what we see? If you are referring to the strip of pictures to the left of the center post column, there is no verbiage below, above or to the sides, unless the image doesn't take = see "Making Boomer History." There is an image in that thread, but not in the OP.