Timing out, Blah!

Posted by: dancer9

Timing out, Blah! - 12/29/07 07:37 PM

As many may have noticed by irritation, I often write my post on the edit feature, starting it and then going straight to "edit," so as not to time out. I apologise for my needing to do that but I had a question:

How long does one have before timing out when posting the normal way? Has anyone ever timed it?

Was wondering, for quite some time!

dancer, not using edit at this time! LOL
Posted by: humlan

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/29/07 07:45 PM

I was just taking some time out from the Christmas holiday thing and the birthday things that we also have. AND I read your post. This is a pet peave (spelling) for me as I have lost some good posts that I was writing at the time. Well, I thought they were good. And then I went BONKERS when they were lost.

I have no answer for you. I wish that I did. Maybe Dotsie can help us out when she has time. This has been up before and I don´t think we got any definite time limit unfortunately. GOOD LUCK!!! And THANKS for bringing it up again. It is SOOO INFURIATING when you loose something you really gave your heart to, right?

Happy NEW YEAR, but the way, dancer!!!!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/29/07 09:50 PM

I usually write my answer or comment in Microsoft Word, copy it and place it in my post. That way I have an automatic spell check, and no problems with a time out. If it should happen to you, then just press on your back arrow and you can then retrieve your post. Copy it and go in to the thread anew.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/29/07 11:44 PM

UGH! I have and was thoroughly ticked off because I did put a lot of thought into the reply. I just gave up and took a long walk to cool off...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/30/07 05:52 AM

You're right Anne but that doesn't always work. It does sometimes however, just not always...blah is right!!!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/30/07 03:42 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to hwo long it takes to time out. IT seems to vary, but here's what I do.

DOn't fret.

All you have to do is use your back button and the whole post is still there. At least on my computer it is. Then all you have to do is cut and paste it into a new reply. It's simple. Try it next time and let me know if it works for you. I hope it does.

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/30/07 05:39 PM

scary, scary thing to try, Dotsie! I'm afraid if I loose my post I might just walk away from the computer for the day!
dancer,9

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/30/07 05:46 PM

LOL, Chatty, That's why I am asking everyone who sees my little "starts," to remember that I'm in "edit," working on my answer! I know it's irritating but that's the only way I trust not losing my writing and using Word seems like such a long step! (Although this dyslexic COULD use spell check, you are all kind about it.)

dancing 9

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 12/30/07 05:54 PM

Now THAT has happened to me once too!
dancer
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 01/01/08 02:20 AM

It happened to me tonight and I had to begin again. Blah...
Posted by: jabber

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 01/01/08 03:53 PM

I lost two, what I thought were really neat, posts just recently. And I couldn't retrieve them. I simply figured
perhaps they weren't to be, and moved on. I am glad to know I'm not the only person here that has that problem. Sometimes a gal can get down on herself, if things don't work out like she thinks it should. LOL...
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 01/02/08 01:10 PM

This isn't about timing out really....I've rarely had that problem...if it did happen, I just hit the "back" button and went back to it. My frustration is in just browsing the site...I constantly get the "you cannot make another search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"....or something to that effect. It happens a lot and does not make browsing easy at all.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 01/02/08 02:19 PM

I agree Ladyjane. The browsing problem doesn't seem to be because of an overload either, because that happens when I'm the only one on the site as well.

By the way Ladyjane...your post with the long animations...like in “Let the Party Begin!! Welcome 2008!!”; it's beautiful, but too wide. It distorts the picture, and further pages can’t be shown. Just wanted to let you know, that the width should be kept within the frame of the post.
Cheers
Hannelore
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Timing out, Blah! - 01/02/08 02:26 PM

Yes, you're right....and I realized it too late! Thanks...I won't let it happen again!