Our favorite record albums of yore...

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Our favorite record albums of yore... - 06/13/14 07:39 PM

Yikes, I had to post this link into "Recommended Links" because we don't have a section for music. How could that be, considering how important music was to the Baby boomer generation?

Who would we be with out Elvis, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd , Blood Sweat and Tears and Janis Joplin? Not to mention the Monkees and Joan Baez?

Oh, our love of music was not one dimensional!!

Lately I've heard that "vinyl is coming back," as audiophiles seem to think a record, even with it's hisses, pops and crackles, offers a better sound that does a CD or DVD.

Anyway, whether or not you still have a turntable or vinyl records in your possession, I wanted to share this list Rolling Stone Magazine just put out, of the top albums Boomers loved that Millenials Haven't (Yet) Discovered.

There's a lot of discussion at the end of the post, which is almost an interesting as the list of Albums.

I certainly, have not heard all of these, but I can say I was a big Moody Blues fan... And I see they are on the list.

What would you add to the list? What musician or musical group most speaks of our youth for you?
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Our favorite record albums of yore... - 06/14/14 03:44 PM

The only actual album on there that I even recognized was Alice's Restaurant. I now have that on CD, and our local Community Radio Station plays the entire thing every Thanksgiving. I have to assume that since there were no Beatles albums on the list that the Millenials have discovered them. :-)

During the 60s and 70s, most of what I listened to was folk/protest singles - Phil Ochs, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, Donavon, and of course, Dylan. It's only in recent years that I've discovered Pink Floyd (my partner is a huge fan!) and some other iconic musicians like Queen.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Our favorite record albums of yore... - 06/14/14 09:19 PM

Yonuh, one of my cousins was a part of the music scene in the 60's and based on a video I just found online, I guess she's still going strong: Tracey Nelson

Back in the early days she was associated with Mother Earth, but she's originally from Madison, Wisconsin, and once upon a time when no one in the family thought she would amount to anything, we were gifted with her first album. Sure wish I could put my hands on it now, just for the history of having it.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Our favorite record albums of yore... - 06/14/14 11:45 PM

Interesting, Anne. I can't say I've ever heard of her or her music. But, other than Janis Joplin, I didn't listen to jazz or blues back then or now.