What have you Googled lately?

Posted by: Anno

What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 09:06 PM

Ever since we moved in May, I have been searching and searching for a US Postal drop off box in my new 'hood. Finally, today, I decided to google USPS drop boxes and put in my zip.

Voila! It actually came up with a map of all of the drop off boxes in my zip code.

What have you googled lately?
Posted by: Di

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 09:31 PM

Since I do most of my wholesale marketing online, I have been Googling specialty gift shops that might could carry our products.

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 10:20 PM

Any luck with that, Di?

btw, I am in l-o-v-e with your shea butter!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 10:26 PM

Neat question, Anno. I've googled an "hibiscus sink" for our bathroom (found one); the obituary of one of hubby's good friends; information on scrupulosity for another thread here; and info on recycling tin cans (to settle an argument with hubby).

How did we ever survive without Google?!!!

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 10:33 PM

I try at least three times/week to locate some gift stores. I always get inquires back and definitely a few serious accounts!

(re: Shea. Thanks.....makes a person feel soooo good!!)

I also Googled for some sample donation letters for my CNBC website. Since we survive solely on monetary gifts, that time of year is here. Got some great ones!

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 11:12 PM

I know what you mean, Eagle - how did we survive w/o google?

I am simply amazed at all you can find on the internet. And it is so easy to find the info you are looking for.

Di, do you have any luck with donations?

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/12/08 11:15 PM

Well, the donation letters I found. That is the first step.
Posted by: gims

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 06:14 AM

In my google history I find book titles, JP Morgan/Chase CEO, PBS specials, movie times in my area, direct TV (our cable is still out), adrenal fatigue, vision boards, Chinese knotting... oh, and I googled the V-weights.

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 10:57 AM

V-wieghts?

I also google for the book group here. I have found great book titles, and book guides.

I have 3 search engines on my bar, but I always end up with google. It seems I have better luck with them than anyone else.

(Isn't it funny that I personify google)

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 10:58 AM

Eagle, who won the argument?

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 01:00 PM

LOL, we both did! When hubby opens cans, he leaves the lids attached, which I think is dangerous and inconvenient to the recycling workers. I prefer to take BOTH lids off, wash them, and store them inside the flattened tins before placing them in the recycling bin. I always thought that's what we're supposed to do, but hubby argues that it's done by big machines at the depots and that the workers don't even have to touch them.

So I googled, and we're both right. MOST municipalities require that you remove lids and labels before placing the tins in the bins. But OUR municipality does not require anything. So theoretically hubby's way is acceptable.

However, I cringe at the hazard potential - hubby's way leaves the lids tucked down inside the tin, which seems very dangerous to me. If a depot worker, a curious child or animal decides to put their hand/paw inside the tin, the edges of the lid would rip them to shreds. After explaining this concern to hubby, I did notice that he has been taking the lids all the way off and storing them more safely. So maybe we all won after all.

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 06:52 PM

I love it when a situation ends in a win-win.

Anything else people have googled lately and found just what they were looking for?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 08:22 PM

I googled re. my fridge leaking water and "How to" fix this .
There was one site that did a step by step help guide.
and
it worked.
Also where the floods are locally today..so I could plan my route.
Gmountaina sh
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 08:23 PM

sp. mistake above.could not edit in time
sorry

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 09:27 PM

That's cool Mountain.

A while ago I googled for a manual for my microwave. You can actually download a pdf for almost any appliance. I was impressed.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/13/08 09:56 PM

Eagle, very interesting, and how smart of you. I love that.

Hi, I'm da Queen and I'm a googler. I google every day.

I've tried winging myself from it (Queen holding head down) but alas, I'm hooked. I google about countries, plants, people, and Sam Elliott. I google about the comparison among cell phones, computer software, and songs of the 60's.

I'm a googling fool.

I love biz articles and can't read enough of them...especially if they a) pertain to women, and b) women who own their own biz, and c) work from home. I google the google out of those.

Google is my friend...

I'm hooked. If you cut me, I would bleed bytes...

Posted by: chickadee

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 05:36 AM

I am a confirmed googler too. There I said it.
I google,what else, Poker strategies and anything related to Poker. I am researching for a friend right now and even google isn't giving me what I need. I yahoo'd it too.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 05:43 AM

Well, well I just found the full reply screen.
This is a test

blush testing
Click to reveal..
Peek a Boo, ha ha test test test

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: chickadee

LOL

laugh ark,ark
Click to reveal..
Peek a Boo, BACK ATCHYA

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 06:45 AM

Click to reveal..
LOL.... still laughing laugh

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 06:50 AM

American Free Press - I received one of those annoying 'forward this to your friends' emails - this one is about Obama and his birth certificate...

snopes.com doesn't have enough about it to totally disprove the claims in the email.
Posted by: diamond50

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 09:27 AM

Oh, I am a Googler too. Everything from song lyrics to makeupalley to Forbes and Salon LOL!
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 11:59 AM

Oh goodness, I google everything...driving directions, appliance manuals (I couldn't figure out how to change the nasty sounding default message on my landline...it sounded awful), how to do a teleseminar, what other people teach about living a passionate life, transformational books and sites.

And then there are the treks down Winding Google Lane...anybody done those trips? The ones where you start out to look for a specific answer or information about a specific topic and end up wondering around for a long time, then realizing you have no memory of what you were searching for in the first place?

Can't count the number of times I have traveled Winding Google Lane since starting my new business. Its a great way for me to pretend I'm working when I'm really having a great time doing what I love to do...learning about all sorts of stuff!

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 12:11 PM

"And then there are the treks down Winding Google Lane...anybody done those trips? The ones where you start out to look for a specific answer or information about a specific topic and end up wondering around for a long time, then realizing you have no memory of what you were searching for in the first place?"
MamaRed

Yikes! Where are the quote tags?????

Yes, MamaRed, I have done this sooooooo many times. I finally set my computer to open a new window for each search. Then, when I close down for the day, I end up closing window, after window, after window, aft....er...w...i

Well, you get the picture.

Who has googled their own name? Were you at all suprised with what showed up?

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mama Red
And then there are the treks down Winding Google Lane...anybody done those trips? The ones where you start out to look for a specific answer or information about a specific topic and end up wondering around for a long time, then realizing you have no memory of what you were searching for in the first place?

Ah, some of the best places I've ever visited have been found while meandering along Winding Google Lane. One of my favourite things to do. We had a You-Tube thread going somewhere here not long ago. That's another amazing world, trekking through link after link. I found some long-forgotten favourite music while following links. Ordered it from the artist's website and it's bringing immense (and welcome) pleasure to my life these days.

You can find almost anything on Google (and eBay!)

I'm definitely Google-hooked. So much so that it seems so archaic now to look something up in a book as opposed to Googling. I rarely ever bite my nails, but have been tempted when we've stayed in houses that don't have a computer and we can't Google for up-to-date accurate information on a topic or issue.

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 07:32 PM

Oh, I bet we've all been down that lane. I know I have. I use a Firefox add-on, called Feedback. If I loose my place, I click on the icon from the thumb strip, and then find the page I need. Some times I tire myself out, because I want to see and read it all, and then some. It becomes frustrating to a point of having to get up and walk away. Not to mention time restraints.
I've had a blast staying online all day, today.... get as much in before the weekend gets here - busy, busy, busy weekend.
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 09:41 PM

Oh goodness, don't even get me started on YouTube! Once my son introduced me to it, I found myself meandering for hours. Hum, ya think that could be the reason it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with my new biz? Grin!

There are days I *know* I've been at the computer from 6:30 am - 11 pm and yet, interestingly, no marketing materials, no website, no plan. Gee, wonder if I have NSOS (Next Shiny Object Syndrome)? Could be!

Or I could have, as I would tell a coaching client, ATFKS (Amazing Thirst For Knowledge Syndrome). Yes, that sounds much better. I opt for door number 2!

Glad to hear so many of us have the same temptations!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/14/08 10:43 PM

It's fun seeing what everyone GOogles. I am a major Google fan. I Google off and on all day long. I mainly Google people. It's great fun and it's most helpful for my business. If I get emails and they only give a name, or they leave phone messages, I Google 'em.

Re: What have you Googled lately? - 08/15/08 12:03 PM

Have you ever googled yourself?

I did recently, and actually, for a small time gal, I have several listings. Try it, it's fun. And when you finish seeing how important you are, google some of your friends. I googled my nephew lately and he has many, many pages of listings. How cool is that?