electric bill

Posted by: Saundra

electric bill - 06/26/06 01:47 AM

My electric bill for last month is over $100 (just got it). I've lived in my apartment for four years and this is the highest bill I've received. The highest was about $95 in September, the hottest month. These costs are rising around the country, right?
Posted by: yonuh

Re: electric bill - 06/26/06 02:41 AM

Our rates are frozen until Dec 2008, but our summer rate is higher than the winter rate. Then there are all kinds of assessments and taxes added on that double the bill! So far, there hasn't been any increase that I can see, but we are seriously looking at solar!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: electric bill - 06/26/06 03:33 AM

My local coop now charges a gas surcharge which is billable in kilowatts, thus my kilowatt average is higher this year than last, when it is actually the same if it weren't for the gas surcharge.

My house is only 1200 sf, and last months bill was $65 which includes the gas surcharge and utility light. Yet, last year, it was only $50ish. One postive note on belonging to a coop is that you earn "dividends", yet take about 10 years to collect. For instance, my previous coop in another town I will collect in 9/10 years about $500. Yet, 9/10 years from now, that may cover that month's electric!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: electric bill - 06/26/06 05:08 AM

I'm in California and have no air conditioning. My electric bill still runs over $100 per month normally, and on really cold months where we use the fan to blow the gas heater, it can be as high as $300.

I love summer when my gas and electric bill are at their lowest - it helps pay for the extra water we use!

I think ours is so high because we normally have three computers going, various TVs and radios, and we do not have dual pane windows - which we hope to add this fall. That will really help on our electric and gas.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: electric bill - 06/27/06 12:02 AM

Mine was so high for three to four months in summer I had it prorated and pay the same thing each month now all year long and that is really good. I know how much it'll be and there are no surprises. I pay $172.65 each month...yuk!!
Posted by: KAY B

Re: electric bill - 06/27/06 08:23 PM

Ours used to be about $75 a month...then they began charging a surcharge...and now it's a good $100 plus a month! And no end in sight!!! It's the biggest ripoff going!!!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: electric bill - 06/27/06 08:28 PM

KAY B, I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering how you are! I'm so glad to hear your voice!!!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: electric bill - 06/27/06 08:51 PM

Hey KAYB, great to see you. Where've you been. Just thought I'd let you know my son chose not to go to Hofstra so I won't be visiting you like I thought I might. Hope all is well.
Posted by: Barkus

Re: electric bill - 06/28/06 07:32 AM

My electric bill this month is 362.00 and I have around a 2000 square foot home. Since I am in Texas we get used to the big bills for A/C in the summer time, but most of our year is summertime.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: electric bill - 06/28/06 05:30 PM

Good gosh...if that was my bill I'd have to get a tent. Mine runs around 100.00 a month. That includes garbage pick up, an extra light out back, electric and taxes. Water runs around 13.00/month. During the winter months, the utility bill has gotten as high as 180.00. And I thought that was horrible. I have a wood burning heater but I only use it for emergencies. Nasty old wood...ewwww....JJ
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: electric bill - 06/28/06 09:20 PM

I live in Florida where it's eternal summer. Our electric bill is around $300 every month give or take $25. Our water and garbage pickup is around $14 - $22 a month.

We have a lot of things running on electricity. 3 computer servers, 2 regular computers, all kinds of HD and surround sound TV stuff, a 400 gallon saltwater aquarium with a 1/2 ton chiller, plus your normal electrical components like microwaves, range, hot water heater, etc.

We just had a new AC unit installed, so we're hoping our electrical bill will go down a bit. Our old one was probably over 20 years old. And, it was undersized for our 2000 sq foot house.

I'm eager to see if the new ac unit drops our electrical bill any.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: electric bill - 07/07/06 08:37 PM

I recently called to find out about having solar power installed, hey its sunny here 360 days a year. They told me they could do it but the cost would be around $5000. or more. GEESH!! Something about all the batteries needed to reserve the sunshine???