Mammograms

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Mammograms - 06/01/06 07:56 AM

I had my yearly mammogram yesterday and a bone density scan.

I know you've all heard us whine about those torture devices they use for our mammograms, but I just had to rant about them one more time on my blog.

http://www.vickimtaylor.com/blogs
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Mammograms - 05/31/06 08:07 PM

Vicki,
I just left your blog and read several of the things you've written there. WONDERFUL! I especially liked what you had to say about WORDS. That needs to be a creed!

The story of the new bird was so sweet. And of course your most recent "rant" on mammo's...well, I left a comment...You'll see what I think of women having to go thru these kinds of things, and men don't!

JJ
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Mammograms - 05/31/06 08:50 PM

Ah, yes, mammograms. Another topic for the Rick and June series!

I have a note from my doctor that I need to schedule mine, but I just haven't made that call yet. Putting it off, and I know I shouldn't!
Posted by: flossie

Re: Mammograms - 06/01/06 12:34 AM

Interested to know if you have to pay for them over in the States? They are free here for any women over 50, I think.

I've never had one and doubt I ever will, don't think I've very much to put in the machine!!

I was once sent a cartoon joke titled 'If Women Controlled Medicine' .......it was called a Manogram. I think you can all imagine the picture that went with it!!

Re: Mammograms - 06/01/06 02:34 AM

I have insurance that covers it. I think if you are uninsured, you probably have to pay. I know the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation helps to fund free mammmograms for women who can't afford them - I get emails from time to time where if you go to their site and click a certain link, it helps fund the program.

Re: Mammograms - 06/01/06 02:44 AM

Flossie, you MUST get one. I had very little to squish in the olden days and they can still do it. Now that I've put on a little weight, there's just more to squish.

It's not agonizing for most women; it is uncomfortable but it's not a lasting pain - at least not for me.

My mammogram last year showed a lump; I had it removed to be safe. Fortunately it was a benign fibroadenoma. But what if it had been something else and I hadn't gotten the mammogram? I hate to think of those consequences, when you can do it so easily and maybe save your life.

Take care!
Kathy
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Mammograms - 06/01/06 05:15 AM

I go every year . I have to fiber cyst on my breast from caffine . I drink only decafe tea or soda . I feel lots better now. My last mammogram show not new fiber cyst . I take 200mg of Vitamin E for this also. I go next week to I go to the GY every year .

What is that they say and ounce of prevention is a pound of cure .

What ever I just do it . The pain of the mammogram only last a little while .
Posted by: Old Knitter

Re: Mammograms - 07/20/06 10:40 PM

Okay......it's really not comfortable, but we HAVE to do it. My hope is that in my life time the mammogram is replaced with a more civilized test.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Mammograms - 07/22/06 01:57 PM

I've never had a painful mammogram. My doc even heats up the beast with a heating pad but it still feels cold.

My sister refuses to have one in France because they don't give you a robe or anything to cover yourself and she could get it for free there but will wait till she visits the states just so she can have a little robe. I never was that modest but she sure is.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Mammograms - 07/22/06 11:09 PM

Theres an even BETTER more thorough test that can detect a budding tumor years earlier called: Thermagraphy (spelling??) and it is the latest best test to have, works on heat sensors, NO smashing the breasts, NO discomfort what-so-ever. The problem is not all doctors have the equipment yet to offer it. Ask about it bacause it is far superior to the mammogram.
Posted by: Dotsie

Post deleted by Dotsie - 04/18/07 02:26 AM

Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Mammograms - 04/18/07 03:46 AM

Mitzkity, I hope you're doing self-exams.

I have a friend who drugs herself up on pain pills BEFORE going in.