Lost Furniture

Posted by: Dianne

Lost Furniture - 01/20/06 01:53 AM

I mentioned this on my website and Chatty told me that her furniture was lost for three months!

We hired a reputable furniture mover to take a small load to MN. Was supposed to have been there no later than the 9th of Jan. I call the company every morning and ask what's going on and they say they are checking and will call me back. So far, they haven't returned my call once.

Luckily, we don't need the stuff right now but what happens to people who can't move into their home because they have no furniture and it's out in the ozone layer somewhere?
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/20/06 09:36 AM

Dianne,
My friend moved from where I live now to CO this month . Before they left they were living in a apt until her house was built in CO . My friend told me they stored there furiture in storage Pods and she had the keys . So, I guess they ship these Pods out to where they have moved . I have not heard from them and hope they got there furiture , Okay !
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/21/06 07:59 AM

Yep United lost 1/2 truck load of my things riding piggy back on another customers order. Luckily the newspaper put me up in the Executive apartment on the Hill in Washington D.C. while they tried to find my tiny bunch of stuff. In Vegas I had been in a furnished place so didn't have much to move. They found my stuff 3 months later. It had been sent to Washington state instead of Washington D.C. and was sitting in a warehouse there...Say a prayer for Dianne!

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/21/06 07:19 PM

I kept calling every morning and guess what? They must have gotten tired of me because the furniture will be delivered next Wednesday! Yea Team.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/23/06 10:07 AM

You know that old saying "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"...the older I get the more that becomes my mantra when dealing with businesses (not family or friends of course)..it looks like it worked for you Dianne...I'm so happy it has worked out for you!!!
Posted by: flipperjo

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/23/06 10:27 AM

when my sister moved from CO to MN, the truck driver with the moving company stole their load. it was found abandoned at a truck stop in KS.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/23/06 11:33 PM

Glad they found it.

This reminds me of lost luggage when traveling.

What happens to it? I can't imagine. Does someone steal it from the airports?
Posted by: flipperjo

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 01:52 AM

i don't know about lost luggage, but i am wary of sending packages through customs. we had an exchange student from finland one year. when she returned home, i mailed several boxes of her belongings that she couldn't take on the plane home.

a few months later, a pkg. came in our mail for her. it was a box full of junk, including just a couple of her items. apparently, they had ripped into her boxes and found an envelope addressed to her at our house so they used that for a mailing label. then they loaded up the box with everything from foreign language books to a child's dress, woman's shorts and other junk and sent it all here. i never did find out whether she rec'd all the stuff i sent her. all i managed to get was a few dollars back on the postage i paid to send it over.

i don't send anything of much value over there any more as i don't want to lose it in customs.

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 03:23 AM

Why is it that the more we pay, the less service we get??? They recently found a mailman here with three storage units full of opened and unopened mail. He is going down bigtime.

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 04:48 AM

They have huge sales of lost luggage that was never claimed. I have no idea how they end up there. We've had our luggage lost but they've always managed to get it to us.

I hope that mailman does go down!

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 06:17 AM

Dianne,
They have a place in Huntsville Ala where my sister-in-law lives for the lost luggage and she has gone over there to purchase some items. Good buys she said .

Chatty , We had a mailman who did same thing here years ago and at times I was not getting all my mail . He just would not deliver on a Saturday to us. When they investigated here they found a lot of mail he had opened and dumped in the woods . They he was stealing a lot of stuff off the trucks and mail. I hope he does go down good . I heard this mailman here got big time in jail.

[ January 23, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 07:27 AM

Its a federal offense to mess with anyones mail. This guy could get 20 years from the amount they found both opened (stealing) and unopened just stashed and not delivered.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 05:43 PM

When I lived in TN, our newcomer's group visited the unclaimed baggage place in Alabama. It was quite the place. It was shortly after 9/11 and there were bins on top of bins of nail clippers and nail files. I wondered who the heck would buy someone else's nail clippers???? But, you'd be amazed at what gets left behind. Tons of paperback books - most like new. Lots of clothes and suprizingly, lots of small electrics. A lot of 'formal' wear, also.

It's one of those places that you have to visit on a frequent basis. I imagine 'the good stuff' doesn't last long. I did buy a few books - it took hours to go through the whole place.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 06:36 PM

I live right outside of Huntsville and I don't know about this place. What's the name of it? I've been here over 30 years.

The one in Scottsboro, AL is called UNCLAIMED BAGGAGE and it USE to be a good place to shop. Now its junk and the people who own it buy from everybody, not just unclaimed baggage. They buy leftovers from places like Penny's, Speigel's, etc...You are so right though about the books. You can get some great buys on them. I live about an hour from there.

JJ

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/25/06 08:55 AM

Jaw,Jaw,
That is the place that my sister-in-law goes , in Scottsboro, AL . I thought it was in Huntsville . They use to buy unclained luggage , but now I guess it has changed . I forgot you live near my sister-in-law and if all goes well we will be there this summer .
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Lost Furniture - 01/24/06 09:01 PM

Another boomer meeting?

The only thing that happened to us concerning mail was when soemone in the post office stole our new credit card.

I received a payment with over a thousnad dollars that I hadn't charged.

When I called the bank, they asked if I'd received my new credit card. I hadn't. They shared that soemone in the Baltimore postal service had been stealing them before they got delivered.

I didn't pay a cent. That's why the interst rates are so high.