What's in a name?

Posted by: Dianne

What's in a name? - 12/20/04 08:31 AM

Erica and I have pm each other after I told her how much I love her name. My real name is Karen Dianne. Mom couldn't think of a middle name to go after Dianne so put Karen in front of it, which I hate. As a little girl, I always wanted my name to be Anita Eileen, for whatever reason. but Erica believes we're named what we are for a reason. What do you gals think?

My oldest son, Chad, decided when he was about 11-years old, that his name should be Michael and insisted we call him that. Lasted about one week.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What's in a name? - 12/20/04 08:46 AM

I get upset when people mispell my name especially when its so important that its correct like on a story you've written. Whats funny is when you are spelling it as someone writes it down and still spells it wrong, like the normal spelling of Charlene is different from the way mother spelled my name, Charleen and Micheals is not the way I spell Micheles. It ticks me off when its wrong. Don't have much but our names, important that they are correct. [Wink]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: What's in a name? - 12/20/04 01:47 AM

Our names are important. I hate it when someone mispells my name, or worse, thinks I'm the one who has it wrong. As a child, I never corrected people when they pronounced my name wrong. Now, I do. I hated teachers who couldn't get it right. I just thought I wasn't supposed to tell them they were wrong. [Frown]
Louisa
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: What's in a name? - 12/20/04 03:40 AM

Chatty, please tell me the exact spelling of your name so I'm not one of the people who tick you off! [Eek!] I belive I've seen it spelled both ways in your emails. I'm confused.

I'm named after my mom. My real name is Dorothea which means a gift of God. This is crazy but somehow when we named all three of our children we were able to find names that meant the same. I belive with my heart that all three of our children were indeed gifts from God. The first two were adopted from Korea and I got pregnant with our third while we were waiting for our daughter to arrive.

Now, back to my name. I go by Dotsie because that was my nickname as a child. I dnon't like it. It's so cutesie! How old am I anyway? I don't want to be called Dorothea...it reminds me of my Catholic school days. My mom was always Dot so I kept Dotsie. Whenever I introduce myself I have to repeat my name over and over again! Whatever!
Posted by: Evie

Re: What's in a name? - 12/20/04 03:47 AM

Try being called Eveline (pronounced Ev-i-leen) and be called Evelyn or Evi-line (pronounced line, rhymes with fine) - nobody says it right, or spells it right...I've even been called Emily?????

Like Louisa, I never corrected anybody when they said it wrong. (Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper).

I used to hate it when anyone called me "Evie", then I married my husband and got his grandmother as part of the deal [Razz] and she always called me "Evie" - I sort of got used to it. She has since passed on, and I find myself using "Evie" as a nickname....life is strange!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: What's in a name? - 12/20/04 05:12 AM

As a child I was called Merry because Meredith was too big and formal a name. I spent way too many years explaining that it wasn't Mary or Marie. [Eek!] When I was 28 we moved to a new town and I decided that was the time to reclaim Meredith, and I've gone by that ever since. Family still calls me Merry though.

Meredith means something like Sea Goddess. I of course can see the Goddess part but I'm not sure about the sea business as I'm afraid of being in deep water and can't swim.

Re: What's in a name? - 12/21/04 12:58 AM

The correct spelling of my name is and always was and should be:

Charleen Micheles and for my writing I usually use all three;

Charleen Micheles-Scott I can only hope it isn't mispelled on anything really important like a published piece.... [Frown] [Big Grin]
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: What's in a name? - 12/21/04 03:06 AM

I have the same issues with my name. People are always spelling it wrong. I've seen it Vicky, Vickie, Vikki, but it's spelled Vicki. Then I get the people who assume my name is short for Victoria. But it isn't. I was supposed to be named Victoria, but after I was born my mom was unconscious. (I was a breech) My dad had to fill out the birth certificate. He didn't know how to spell Victoria, so he named me Vicki. Thank goodness he spelled it correctly!! [Smile]
Posted by: Songbird

Re: What's in a name? - 12/21/04 04:05 AM

I know how you guys feel about mispelled or mispronounced names.

My name is RHODI-short and sweet. It's not my nickname. It's simply MY NAME! It's UNIQUE!
Posted by: Dannye

Re: What's in a name? - 02/13/05 01:51 AM

I know this is an old post, but I related to it so much that I decided to comment anyway!

Like Dianne, I grew up with a middle name which I ditched after high school. But Dannye has been misspelled and mispronounced every way you can imagine. Plus my maiden name was Goodroe. So in addition to repairing my first name, I was always having to say "r-o-e, not r-o-w". Then I married and was always having to say "B-e-c-k-u-m, not h-a-m." Years later I remarried, and now I have to say "Williamsen with an s-e-n, not s-o-n."
But I like having a name that's different. It's only been in the last 15-20 that the shortened version of Danielle (Dani) has become so popular, and I have to admit that it still feels strange to hear someone else called by "my" name!
Posted by: Debi

Re: What's in a name? - 02/13/05 11:25 PM

when I started writing seriously I started thinking of the meaning of my character names in accordence what they were doing in a story. Then I got to looking at my name my dad named me , I'd like to know why he chose Debra then I looked at what I went through in my life. It kinda fits with what I have done in my life so far,

According to the names origin that I have dug up so far, It's of Hebrew , busy bee was a nurse to Rebecca (who was my best friend in third grade) was a heroine and prophess.

Now to figure out what to do with the other half of my life that goes with my name ... as for the nurse asspect, Ive been a hospital volunteer in two hospitals , and a hospice volunteer wonder if that could fit?

And as for hating being called Debra, I did , until recently when I realized my dad may have had a reaS
Posted by: Debi

Re: What's in a name? - 02/13/05 11:50 PM

To follow up on the last post so no body fears they are "missing something" As for hating to be called Debra, I did until recently (dont know what changed) Then I learned my dad may have named me that for a reason. Now to discover that reason, but it does , make sense with the things I have done in my past , now to figure out how to use it in the future , to maybe create a heroine that coincides with my name ,

Deb [Smile]
Posted by: Dian

Re: What's in a name? - 02/14/05 11:52 AM

Same problem here. My name is Elizabeth Dian and hardly ever does anyone get it write. I get Dion, Dianne, Diane, Diana, Dean . . .goes on and on. Especially since it's my middle name, thus the E. Dian.

Now, I always wanted to be Rebecca, because (no kidding) I lived on Sunnybrooke Farm in Mannington, WV until I was 11.

Mom confessed later on that she wanted to name me, for real, Phoebe Moonbeam, just to spite everyone. I am SO glad she did not.

Her name was Danielle, and my Grandmother didn't know how it was pronounced - it was supposed to say Danna Lee??? But Mom went by Dani her whole life.

I remember being so excited when I saw one of the models on "The Price is Right" named Dian; then later on, Dian Fossey (sp?).

Re: What's in a name? - 02/15/05 06:06 AM

Almost no one my age is Meredith, so I grew up not knowing another Meredith until I went away to college. Now, it seems to be semi-popular for the younger set, but it still surprises me to hear "Meredith" in a grocery store, etc.

My parents were originally going to name me Michelle after my grandfather Michael, but another girl down the block was born a few weeks before me and named Michelle, so my mother decided to choose a name that no one else would have. Of course starting with "M". My middle name Karen was chosen "because" no particular reason.
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: What's in a name? - 02/15/05 11:42 AM

My legal name is Catherine, but of course everyone calls me Cathi. Growing up my name was spelled Cathy, and my maiden name was Overcast(for real). In my youth when I wanted to pursue acting and did theatre, I wanted my name to stand out some more, so I changed the spelling to Cathi.

Even before that, everytime I tell someone my name and they write it down, they always assume it starts with a K.

My daughter's name is Sofia (the Greek way), but of course we have to have that corrected because so many times it is written Sophia.

BTW, in the Greek tradition we name our children after our parents. So, originally my mom and her family wanted to name me after my dad's mom. My dad (not Greek) said no way, his mom's name was Hazel. Even my Grandmother said "Thank the Lord they didn't name you Hazel."

Of course, growing up I was thankful that they didn't name me Hazel, but now I think it is a pretty name. Interesting how our perspectives change about names.

I remember when I was a little girl, my favorite name was and is still Deborah.

Cathi
Posted by: mrsmuzz

Re: What's in a name? - 02/27/05 12:20 AM

I have never (as yet) met anyone with my same name. When I was growing up, I hated that! However, now that I am older and wiser I kinda enjoy being unique. My name is Laylee Ann. I am named after my Great Aunt Beulah Lee and my Grandmother Ann. How did you get Laylee outta Beulah Lee? Well let me tell you, cuz it's a wonderful family story. My Great Aunt Beulah Lee was the youngest of eight. They began calling her Baby Lee soon after she was born and continued to do so for several years. One day, when she was about 5 or 6 years old, her Daddy called her name and she whirled around and told him "Don't call me that ANYMORE! I am not a Baby!" He smiled and asked, "Well, if you aren't my Baby then what are you?" She indiginantly replied, "I'm a LADY!" From that day forward she was known as Lady Lee. She was my mom's favorite aunt so she named me Laylee as a derivative of her name. It is pronounced just like it is spelled (rhymes with Hailey or Bailey) I have been called all sorts of things! It is irritating at times, because of course I had the rotten luck of falling in love with someone who had a weird last name! LOL Not that my maiden name was a piece of cake either. No matter what, I was in for lots of explaining where my name was concerned.
Posted by: mrsmuzz

Re: What's in a name? - 02/27/05 12:38 AM

Just had to share this essay, too. I wrote this for our Storycircle Journal a couple of years ago:

The Trouble with Taxi’s

I went through my whole school career as the “girl with three first names.” My name was Laylee Ann Cathey (pronounced just like Kathy.) It was very confusing for most of my teachers and classmates, alike. I also lived with my Granny, which in those days was rather unusual. Granny was quite over-protective. One day, when I was in first grade it began to rain during the school day. My grandfather had the car and Granny was afraid I might get wet on the way home. Perhaps she thought I might melt! She called the school and told them that she was sending a Yellow Taxi to pick me up. She very carefully told them…”Now, that’s Laylee Ann Cathey and it’s Mrs. White’s room.” “You be sure to get that right.” Well, I can remember it just like it was yesterday. There I was sitting right next to my little friend Kathy. The principal poked his head in the door and said, “Grandma called and a taxi will be here after school to pick up Laylee and Kathy.” The teacher nodded her understanding. Wow, Kathy and I looked at each other, neat! We get to go home all by ourselves in a big yellow taxi. When the final bell rang, we headed down the hall arm-in-arm. Sure enough, there was the big old, humpy yellow taxi. I looked at Kathy and said brightly, “you go ahead and take this one; I’ll get the next one!” Needless to say, poor Granny had the surprise of her life when that taxi arrived!
Posted by: Dannye

Re: What's in a name? - 02/27/05 12:53 AM

In the Southern tradition, I went by my first and middle names when I was in school. So I was called Dannye Sue. I went to a new school in the eighth grade, and my teacher, Mrs. Burns, refused to call me Dannye Sue because she said Dannye was a boy's name!!!! So every day she would call the roll and say, "Sue." I refused to answer. After about a month she gave it up and started calling me Dannye Sue.
That year I wrote an article for the school paper titled "My Name and I". At the time it felt like a tremendous victory. [Smile]

Re: What's in a name? - 03/06/05 06:46 AM

Charleen Catherine Radinsky Marencik Majewski Micheles Scott. WHEW! try that on for size. I think only Liz Taylor has more names than me..
My maiden name was Radinsky
Husband #1 Marencik (passed away)
Husband #2 Majewski (passed away)
Invented name for my record label..Micheles
Husband #3 Scott (divorced-wouldn't pass away)

To my friends I'm CHARLEEN MICHELES period!!!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What's in a name? - 03/06/05 07:20 PM

MrsMuzz...thats Readers Digest material. What a hoot!

JJ

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 08:15 AM

Charleen, I met this gal the other night and I was wearing a Harley T-Shirt and she said, "My ex, who died, owned a Harley." I was thinking he died on his motorcycle when she added, "Well, he isn't dead. I'm just hoping!" Cracked me up.

Karen Dianne Pennington Riley Nanke Pyhel Pennington (took my maiden name back) Schwartz.

Can you imagine our relatives when they try to do the family tree? Will drive them nuts!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 08:29 AM

Chatty, you are hilarious. That last line oughtta' wake him up.
smile

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 02:10 AM

Dianne, boomers are buying Harley's like we use to buy penny candy. Have you noticed more boomers riding bikes these days? Second Childhood/Midlife Crisis?

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 02:58 AM

Uh...I have a Harley!

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 03:44 AM

Wanna sell it? I have this vision of converting a bike into a trike and having QUEEN JAW JAW painted on it along with my logo, a likeness, and of course Trixie. Then getting a side-car for da Trixster to ride, and of course getting her a helmet and leather jacket, etc...THEN...traveling all over promoting my book. I could have the seat made like a throne...

What? I think the idea rocks. Now if I only had an extra 30,000 laying around I could do this. Trixie and I could be in parades too...what fun!

My sister and her hubby have Harley's. They use to have two vintage ones as well. They sold those. They travel all over the U.S. on them and have a ball. They have a condo in Key West and always take the bikes when they go. I want their life...geeish. My Toyota pales in comparison...

JJ

Re: What's in a name? - 03/07/05 06:31 AM

In my youth I've had some wild adventures on a Harley or two or three. Its incredible how one can keep balanced with both feet off the ground, he he!!!My first wild man boyfriend had a Harley....Now I'd be lucky to be able to throw my leg over a mini trike let alone a bike and rider....Oh, the good old days.... [Eek!]

Re: What's in a name? - 03/09/05 08:26 AM

Dianne, you go girl! Do you ride it much?

Chatty, you wild thing you!

Jawjaw, I see your vision. Go for it.

Re: What's in a name? - 03/09/05 12:36 AM

Okay...will do. Ah...can I borrow 30,000?

JJ

Re: What's in a name? - 03/09/05 04:16 AM

In my twenties, I took a 5-6,000 mile motorcycle trip riding behind my husband every summer.
I packed some nice clothes and wore the rest. I would start off in the cool of the morning in a denim halter/bra, denim panties/shorts, denim pants, denim jacked and denim coat. I would peel things off to the halter and shorts as the day heated up and put it all back on as darkness came.
Sometimes we camped out like hippies and I washed the clothes in a stream. Other days we went to an elegant dinner and stayed in a nice hotel. We even went on a couple of trips after we were divorced.
The mountains are so beautiful up close on a cycle. Everyone should do it.
smile
Posted by: chichii

Re: What's in a name? - 03/09/05 05:18 AM

My name is Phyllis, the worst spelling I ever had was filis. Usually people change the y and i around or add an extra s. But it beats being called Dorothy 3. My fathers siblings called their first born daughters Dorothy, one of them shortened or changed her name to Dodie. Then again my parents were thinking of calling me Leslie I don't care for that name either. I find the young parents of today come up with some really different names for their kids. My granddaughter is named Crimson Marie, she also got called Crimson Kaliescope, probably spelt it wrong but you get the idea. I told my daughter that would be cruel. so Crimson Marie it is.
Posted by: CompuNerdie

Re: What's in a name? - 03/17/05 10:07 PM

My name is Sara one of the most common names ever! Notice it does not have the 'h' I get that one alot, hahaha. My favorite moments were in marching band in high school when the director would say, "Sara(h) please come up to the front" and literally 25 girls would break ranks and walk up to the front!

My dad is really into Sci-Fi. I have a lil sister named Honor after Honor Harrington, a kick ass lady Admiral of a space fleet, lol, and a lil brother named Corwin after some mythic prince. Now why couldn't my name be so creative and unique!?

Re: What's in a name? - 03/19/05 08:03 AM

You know, I went to high school with a guy named, Twig Branch.
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: What's in a name? - 03/18/05 10:41 PM

There are way too many ways to spell Kathryn so almost no one ever gets it right! And, the worst part is when people shorten it to Kathy. I introduce myself as kathryn but inevitably it becomes Kathy which, for some reason really bugs me. I grew up catholic and till the day he died, my dad always called me Kathryn Mary as does most of my family. Kath I don't mind, but Kathy...like Dotsie says, makes me feel about 8.
When I named my kids, I chose names that either wouldn't be shortened or if changed (ie: Timmy) I didn't mind.
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: What's in a name? - 04/15/05 11:47 PM

--This is a little article I wrote about my "many names"

My ancestors didn’t have the problem of a “Smith” or a “Jones”. Based upon the five spelling variations of one singular German surname, I can clearly see my distant relatives, five brothers, looking at each other confused, ready to come to blows, trying to spell what I know as “Zickafoose” to U.S. Immigration Officers. I envision them arguing and defending each individual letter just as my Great Aunts would defend with equal certainty at family reunions varying secret ingredients in the family recipe of rhubarb pie.

Names aren’t supposed to have fuss. But they do.

As I embarked down the aisle as a young bride, I debated against moving to the middle or giving up my maiden name, Zickafoose. I mean, after all, what’s not to love. No one can pronounce or spell it upon hearing. Every syllable is phonetically emphasized and every letter is spoken slowly for clarity. Destiny and poor understanding by others of just how deeply my ancestors struggled translating this name into English would doom me to have no less than six variations of “Zickafoose” on any credit report and to respond in crowds to any combination of slurred sounds that began with a “Z”.

Love won out and I traded Zickafoose for Stewart. I thought it would be smooth sailing until I received my first pieces of mail addressing me as “Mrs. Stuart” and “Mrs. Steward”. When the first telemarketer called me “Mrs. Steward” I simply dissolved into tears.

My interest in the importance of a good name would carry me into a second marriage where I was required again to decide to hyphenate and in doing so retain name rights with my daughter or to adopt my husband’s name, Hamilton. Common, familiar and right up there with Jones.

In my dilemma, I knew I needed to research others that held my would-be name. In my profession, I need a website, and a platform to work from. All of which depend on my name. In my searching and debating I came to realize that it would not do to have the name “Wendy Hamilton”, after all I, being a plus-size lady, might be confused often for the same-named Playmate, Miss December 1991, and feature of our namesake website. I imagine my hands would have gotten tired from all the autographs.

My choice to hyphenate is not without consequences. So far in my almost three years of hyphenated marriage I have created more than just mild confusion for schools, churches, insurance agencies, and hospitals. I’ve even had the misfortune of having a child or two misfiled somewhere between Stewart and Hamilton.

I have come to understand how a good name is to be desired more than great riches and the best name, well, that is one that is not asked to be repeated or is misspelled.

Re: What's in a name? - 04/16/05 03:16 AM

Well Wendy Stewart-Hamilton, I loved this article. You have one of those sneaky dry scenses of humor and believe me.....

THATS A GOOD THING [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: What's in a name? - 04/23/05 12:25 AM

Having a name like Lita in a neighborhood full of AnnMarie's, Josephine's, and Filomena's made me stand out as a child. I could expect children to get it wrong but it never ceased to amaze me how adults have such a hard time with my name.

I have been (and still am) called everything from Lydia, Lisa, Linda, the list goes on. So many times I have to tell a person, "It's Lita. Like Rita with an L."
(I feel like Liza Minnelli-lol)

My family just calls me Lee.

The nice thing about an unusual name is I can tell when a call is from a telemarketer and I can quickly say, "She's not here."

Dianne, I just read your very first post in this thread and the same thing happened with my son. His name is Michael and he was 8 years old and insisted we call him Fred. I have no idea where he got Fred from.

This lasted a day. He would not respond to Michael but when dinner came around and he sat down at the table, I took his plate away and said, "Sorry, this food is for Michael, not Fred." He quickly forgot his self-appointed moniker.

Re: What's in a name? - 04/23/05 01:33 AM

Fred???? How funny. Kids crack me up.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: What's in a name? - 07/14/05 04:48 AM

I am also a Karen.... [Razz]
In 5th grade I had a teacher who got annoyed that there were 3 of us named Karen!!! She got even more mad that our last names all began with "S"!

How rude of our parents to all name us Karen w/ last names that began with an "S"!!! [Smile]

Re: What's in a name? - 07/14/05 06:23 AM

Try going thru life as Georgia Staggers. She does? Yes she does. I've heard um all...

Not only that, half the people I met say, "Nice to meet you GLORIA." I have been called Gloria all my life.

And the other half think I LIVE in Georgia. I usually end up saying, "no, I'm not Glorida. I'm Georgia from Alabama, and I stagger. No banjo on the knee, thank you very much.

JJ

Re: What's in a name? - 07/14/05 08:58 AM

I thought it posted about this before, but who cares? Anyway, I was supposed to be a boy and I was going to be Henry, Jr. for my Dad and if I turned out to be a girl I was going to be Henryetta.

I will forever be grateful to my mother who at the last moment regained a molecule of sanity and refused to name me Henryetta. Thank you Mom.

Anyway, if I wasn't Henryetta, who was I? Mom was reading the paper and she found an article about some movie star named Janis Paige and she decided Janis was a good name. Then she read something about Danny Kaye and gave me Kaye for my middle name. AMEN!

But in a moment of sheer stupidity, I told my kids that story and now anytime they think I'm being a dork, they call me Henryetta. Grrr.

The moral of the story is, Never tell your kids anything. They'll use it on you!
smile

Re: What's in a name? - 07/14/05 12:39 PM

There's a cashier at the place where I get my weekly fish tacos, who botches my name in new and exciting ways every week (it's on the receipt, and they call your name when the order's ready.)

Marybeth
Marydee
Marrydid
Maradot
Marida
Marrdis
Marabin

If enough monkeys typing long enough can theoretically turn out Shakespeare, do you think this girl will ever get "Meredith"? And yes, I speak V-E-R-Y clearly. [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: KAY B

Re: What's in a name? - 07/15/05 03:10 AM

For some strange reason so many people call me "Kathy"!!! ??? [Smile]