Unable to defrag

Posted by: Louisa

Unable to defrag - 12/10/04 05:12 AM

I'm having pc problems and it's driving me nuts. I can't defrag and I can't do scandisk. Worse than that, I can't download photos from the digital camera all of a sudden. I can't seem to use the usb port at all. I spent about 2 hours downloading the security edition of aol 9.0 tonight and when it was almost done, it shut down and it never downloaded. The pc works fine other than that.

I cna't stand it when my computer acts up. [Mad]

anyone ever have this happen?
Louisa
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/10/04 06:04 AM

Are you using windows? what edition?
Do you know about remote assistant( someone can take over your computer from anywhere) with permission of course.

I do that with my sis in Canada all the time...and I'm here in the good old USA.
Have you tried system restore?

Just a few (of many)suggestions...worth a try maybe

Oh yes...did you scan for ...Ahem...the "V" thing

Good Luck...

[ December 09, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/10/04 06:36 AM

Its probably Spyware, this stuff is awful and I had nothing but trouble before finding www.stopsign,com now I do it every other day and my computer runs fine and faster than ever too. It cost $35.00 but not until 30 dayts later and only if it works for you, then its $4.00 a month and worth 10 times that. Check it out, this is oe that actually works and does what it says it does. [Wink]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/10/04 05:42 PM

I use Norton antivirus, and Spybot. I also use STOMP, Backup my PC to download everything to discs each week to be safe.

[ December 10, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: Dian

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/10/04 10:53 PM

For Stopsign, the link is

http://www.stop-sign.com
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/11/04 05:34 PM

I think I fixed it myself after all the crazy things I went through. It wouldn't do scandisk. It kept getting stuck. I couldn't use the usb port. It wouldn't download my pictures. I knew it was okay when I downloaded my vacation photos in Nov. At that time, I also had a picture cd I had made at Walgreen's of the vacation photos. I uninstalled it and now the thing seems fine. I spoke to our pc tech at work the other day. He said it's possible that the Kodak Easy Share software from the picute cd took over the space on the drive. There ain't enough fightin' going on in this world, I have to have software fighting over a space on my motherboard. [Confused]

Louisa
Posted by: Evie

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/11/04 05:52 PM

I know this was a computer topic, but I couldn't help thinking that the subject line "unable to defrag" perfectly describes how stressed I've been feeling lately [Big Grin] I need to defrag!!!

PS - software conflicts are a pain - especially when trying to figure out which one is causing the conflict!
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Unable to defrag - 12/11/04 07:30 PM

Louisa, I installed a Kodak Easy Share CD and ended up with problems, too. I finally had to uninstall it. Also - the computer's hard disk needs a certain percentage free in order to run a defrag. Delete all you can first, and then try again maybe.

Nothing more aggravating, except maybe car trouble.