tired of pain

Posted by: meredithbead

tired of pain - 03/10/04 01:58 AM

(PART XIV -- but who's counting?)

My pulled chest(?) muscle, first injured 1 month ago, is hurting so bad I finally broke down and left a message with my doctor. This is Kaiser HMO so who knows when I'll get a response? In the mean time, I'm sleeping a lot, or trying to. Pretty bleeping close to dysfunctional again.

This just after my latest uplifting (aka upchucking) migraine this Sunday/Monday. Tied of this [Frown] tired of this [Frown] tired of this [Frown] and tired of this. [Frown]

Just needed to vent. And now Ms. Grammar has a new problem: are there any rules regarding punctuation when using graemlins? Should I write the handbook? ...although I doubt there's much of a market... [Razz]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: tired of pain - 03/10/04 02:15 AM

Theres nothing worse than nagging pain and I feel for you. You would think the richest country in the wrold could come up with something to ease the pain of its citizens without turning us into drugged out zombies. Have you ever tried Oriental medical proceedures? Like acupuncture/tai chai? I hope you feel better soon and if prayers help and I'm sure they do, count on some extras... [Razz]

Re: tired of pain - 03/10/04 11:27 AM

I tried 2 months of weekly acupuncture treatments for the migraines, but it didn't work. The last 2 weeks of treatment also coincided with the beginning of my 2-month cold, and I guess it didn't help that either. I know it helps many people, but it didn't work for me.

The exercises I teach borrow from tai chi, yoga, and just about everything else. And I took so much pain killer for the migraines, I went cold turkey on the chest ache. I don't like being a zombie, but it happens with the drug OR from the pain, kinda no win.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: tired of pain - 03/12/04 08:55 AM

Mereidth, I recall you getting a check up not too long ago, right? I say keep going to the doctors until you're satisfied...and feel better. [Big Grin]

Re: tired of pain - 03/20/04 04:16 PM

Meredith, how's the pain these days? Any relief? please keep us posted.

Re: tired of pain - 03/21/04 08:51 AM

In conjunction with my bone scan, it was determined that I have no broken bones. I see my surgeon next week for a check-up and more x-rays. It's probably a torn muscle, but the scary part is that it's where I had all my surgery, and I want to know for sure. I might be sent to physical therapy.

I've cancelled some of my smaller craft fairs so I'm not straining the area during set-up. The pain has downgraded from constant to occasional. As far as the migraines, well, they show up when they show up.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: tired of pain - 03/21/04 04:23 PM

Goog grief Ms M...like you need this, huh? I can so relate to torn muscles and the pain you are experiencing. And not just because of the wreck, but because I have had muscles tissues separate from my rib cage before. Ouch!

Please keep us informed as to what the doc says when you go. I pray for good news from the surgeon and for your speedy recovery.

hugs, JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: tired of pain - 03/21/04 05:14 PM

Meredith,
I Hardly ever have a headache and can only imagine the pain of a migraine. It must be awful.
Body pain, however, I know intimately. Major car accidents at 15, 25 and 35 (the last after I had just got past the cancer thing). Long comas, multiple broken bones and numerous surgeries with each accident, one code blue, facial injuries, more than thirty broken bones, several crushed joints, a couple of severed tendons and no telling how many pulled tendons. The pain gets worse each year.
I try to ignore it.

Ignoring pain and smiling through it is all I've found that helps. Researchers say that a smile produces endorphins more effective than morphine. Endorphins also produce a 'high' like morphine. At one time they thought the 'high' produced the smile, but they have found that even a false smile produces some of the same pain relieving 'highs' as a real smile which eventually produce a real smile. Kind of the catch 22 of smiles I suppose. Which came first? The smile or the endorphin? [Smile]

I guess my policy boils down to "ignorance with a smile." [Smile]

But Miss M. I hope you'll check out the pain. Maybe there's something that can be corrected.

smile

[ March 21, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: smilingthrulife

Re: tired of pain - 03/21/04 06:20 PM

I agree with you smiinize....I have arthritis. Not much fun. I've been dianosed about 7 years ago. I think this is the first year of the realization of what I'm going to have to endure the rest of my life. I've learned to make friends with it. I just try and take care of myself. But I still smile and keep going and try hard not to think about the pain i'm in. I know how tiring it is. Hang in there.

Re: tired of pain - 03/22/04 10:53 PM

Good grief smilinize, if you were superstitious you might not want to turn 45! I love your thoughts on smiles! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Re: tired of pain - 03/23/04 01:47 PM

Gee, smilinize, you're a worse wreck than I am! Sort of...

I have degenerative arthritis in my neck which probably causes a lot of the migraines. Here's a description of migraines for those of you blessed to never have them: imagine a 20-lb. iron skillet. Imagine someone banging it repeatedly into your head, sometimes days at a time non-stop. [Frown] This is what a migraine feels like, and I get them every few weeks, and sometimes nothing, repeat nothing, helps.

But in between bouts, I think I have a pretty positive attitude.

Re: tired of pain - 03/23/04 05:55 PM

Meredith
Your migraines sound awful. I've seen people with them in the hospital and they look so miserable.
I know of no successful treatments at all and even most pain meds never seemed to help much.
I think you and I might pray differently, but I'm sure we both pray. I'll say a prayer for you in my way and you can accept it in yours.

As to my being a wreck. You are so right.

My daughter says, "Mom, you're in pretty good shape for ROADKILL." [Smile]

Please keep us informed about what the doc says about the pains in your chest. I'm sure you will be in all our prayers.
smile

[ March 23, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: tired of pain - 03/23/04 07:10 PM

My daughter went through a period of time when she had migraines. It's one of the worse things I've witnessed as a parent. Her pain was horrendous.

She only had a few. We went to the doctor and she gave us a nasal spray to take when she felt one coiming on. Just having the spray in the house worked. She's never had to use it.

Meredith, have you tried that? I'm sure you've tried everything, but just in case, it's called Imitrex Nasal Spray.

Each spray has 20 mg of sumatriptan.

Re: tired of pain - 03/24/04 03:27 AM

Nothing is as bad as constant pain. It ruins a persons life, even their personality changes. How could it not? I recently, dah, 3 years ago, ordered a covering for my bed with magnets sewed inside and all my backaches, joint pain and leg soreness has disappeared and I can tell the difference when I haven't slept on them for more than several days, like when I was traveling alot more. I have Diabetes and neropothy. Your nerves hurt like a firery hell BUT not when I use the magnets. I have recommended them to many people for all types of aches and pains and they work. For migraines buy several small sizes and literally tape them to your temples, violia, migraines gone. Just a suggestion of a tried and true cure for many aches and pains. [Wink]

Re: tired of pain - 03/24/04 04:03 AM

I have Imitrex in both pill and injectable. I've been reticent to try the nasal spray because I'm prone to nosebleeds.

The magnet idea sounds interesting. Can I use refrigerator magnets (and look like a dolt, but who cares?) or do I need a special type?

Re: tired of pain - 03/24/04 04:07 AM

smilinize, when I was in cancer treatment, I had people praying and meditating for me in practically every religion and belief system on the planet. I still think that part of the reason I got better was cuz I had all bases covered! [Big Grin]

Re: tired of pain - 03/25/04 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by meredithbead:
I have Imitrex in both pill and injectable. I've been reticent to try the nasal spray because I'm prone to nosebleeds.

The magnet idea sounds interesting. Can I use refrigerator magnets (and look like a dolt, but who cares?) or do I need a special type?

Dolt! I love that word and haven't heard it in years. [Big Grin]

Not sure but I think you need magnets that are made for this purpose. Of course they are pricey!

Chatty, my husband is a Type 1 and our daughter is a Type II. I'm way too familiar with the disease. [Wink] Sounds like you take good care of yourself. Is your neuropathy in your feet?

Re: tired of pain - 03/24/04 11:45 PM

They do have kits with multiple size magnets in them. BUT I will confess that after I read a multitude of reports on magnets and one night my foot hurt so bad I couldn't stand [Frown] so I took the magnet part of a flower on my frig and taped it to my foot. It seemed like about an hour and the swelling was gone [Smile] and the pain as well, and didn't return for a week. Since I have the covering on my bed, my entire body if subjected to a 'positive energy flow' nightly and my aches and pains are a thing of the past. I thank God every morning when I literaly spring out of bed to begin my day [Big Grin] ....I use to barely crawl out and was achey all day...and ladies at close to 64, I'm no spring chicken. [Eek!] My mother tried magnets for her gout and says shes cured, after years of terrible pain. Cheap prescription, and NO side effects. [Wink]
Posted by: smilingthrulife

Re: tired of pain - 03/25/04 06:15 AM

Hmmmm....magnets? Well I have seen the advertisments but never knew anybody thats tried them.....I must try...where can I get them...?
Posted by: garrie keyman

Re: tired of pain - 03/25/04 07:19 AM

Okay, I'll 'fess up. I'm magnetic (and I'm not just talkin' just about my personality!). My hubby is, too. He's had back aches for years -- ever since a tree fell on him when he was a young man and was helping his father cut down a tree at his farm. Sure am glad I missed all that excitement!

Anyway, a few years back I started in with back aches, too. It was after I had hurt my back pretty badly while trying to help Mike move a concrete slab out by the barn. WELL! Talk about pain and imobility! But I think things never healed 100%. I had heard that once you hurt your back you'll always have back trouble. I hated thinking I was going to be counted among the many so cursed.

But chronic pain developed in time. At first I thought it was the kitchen chair I sat in to type once I became a "regular" at the computer keyboard. So we boutght a nice swiveling/rocking/wheeling desk chair for me, deserving future best-selling novelist that I was 'n all! That actually made a difference -- for a time.

But then the pain returned. It was constant.

I'm not a fan of meds and pills but I would take ibuprofen. It helped a little but nothing seemed to take the ache away completely. Being a jogger, this proved a nagging concern. It hurt when I stood and it hurt when I sat. I also have a house full of kids to care for so I needed to find something that worked .

That's when I happened into a store across the street. I know this fella a bit. My husband and his wife work for the same company and he's sold me a few things through the years and moved our piano for one change of address (it's a music/used instrument store).

So I happened to see a display he had set up on magnetic shoe inserts -- a side businees he started but doesn't push -- after he had back trouble and happened across the product. I asked about it and he gave me a demo, explaining a lot of his buyers are police officers (he knew I had been a cop). He removed his own shoes (in which he had a pair of these inserts) and we did little indian wrestling. He toppled me when I wasn't wearing a pair of the inserts, then, with a pair in my shoes, I was able to resist. He swore by these and I knew his age and how much verve he had. I knew he wasn't faking and could tell his effort was as hard when I wore the inserts as when I didn't. I truly felt empowered with those magnets under me!

He explained some technicalitites of the blood and it all made perfect sense to me (which, in some people's minds may not be saying much!). So, okay, then maybe it was just the power of suggestion, but then -- gee! -- what a powerful mind I must have! I've been back-ache free for years since wearing these.

It took several days to take effect and if I forget to wear them I don't notice for several days. Also, at this point, I can go many days without and do fine, so long as I don't go weeks and weeks without wearing those magnets. I jog with them in my sneeks, too.

They weren't cheep, but like he said, $60.00 is what I'd pay on ONE doctor visit or a month's worth of prescription meds, so what was I to lose? I decided to try them, hoping they worked, so I could get some for my husband. He was the true test. He'd complained of back ache since our wedding (and no, it wasn't because of our wedding night -- now stop that! The tree, remember?).

Anyway, I was sold and got him a pair for that Christmas. He was very skeptical but soon a believer when his back aches went away. He must stand to teach all the time and was always fighting that pain. Now he forgets sometimes he even used to have pain -- and he definitely can tell when he's switched shoes and forgotten to switch inserts (we're cheap and only own a pair each). But like the man said who sold them to me -- they last pretty much "forever." I've had mine for about three years now. These you can also turn upside down for a bumpy side that offers a foot-massage effect, once you've gotten used to the smooth side.

I love my magnetic insoles and I don't care if people think I'm nuts. Being pain free is all the convincing I need!

How's that for a testimonial?!
Posted by: Agate

Re: tired of pain - 03/28/04 05:53 PM

I also have heard of magnetic therapy but have never known anyone using it. I wonder if it could help tendinitis in my arm. I'll have to look into it.

Re: tired of pain - 03/28/04 06:07 PM

there was a time when my MIL was using magnets. There seemed to be a magnet for everything. I bet there's one that's shaped just right that would help. Garrie, can you share who she might be able to contact about this?

Re: tired of pain - 03/28/04 07:09 PM

Yes, I meant to pick up a business card across the street and share that company info. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow when the shop opens.

Re: tired of pain - 03/28/04 11:51 PM

Type into the computer Magnets and see what comes up. I ordered my bed and pillow covers so long ago I don't remember exactly where I ordered them from. I have a full coverlette on top of my matress, as well as one small one on my pillows. NOW for the tendinitus or any other spot pains. Homedics of Keego Harbor, Michigan puts out the Thera:P Magnetic Therapy System it consists of 10 different wrapping with magnets fitted into them. I bet you could find a phone number for them or they'd be on the web. I bought mine at the Robinson-May Store for $59.99 but you get magnets for every part of your anatomy. You could probably call a Robinson-May anywhere and order them. Nothing before these magnets gave me relief from neuropthy of Diabetes or my moms Gout which she suffered for for years in tears, now its gone and when she feels a twinge, she applies the magnets and whalla, pain GONE. Oh, and thanks for the testomonial Garrie. I also wear shoe magnets, so does my mom and dozens of her friends. [Razz]

Re: tired of pain - 03/29/04 08:29 AM

Oh good! I'm not a crazy!! There are certainly those who would feel otherwise! It's always a relief to "confess" something and find others don't ride you out of town on a rail afterward! Ha!

I would've said magnetic therapy was fad like anything else but feeling is believing.

Polarize on!

-- gar

Re: tired of pain - 04/07/04 08:27 PM

Meredith, will you please keep us posted on your body scan?

Chatty, maybe you can share your magnets with betty boop. Huh? They might help her hips! [Wink]

Re: tired of pain - 04/08/04 01:18 AM

I have no doubt in my mind they would help Betty but it would probably be better for her daughter to go to the local drugstore for some. I keep mine very close to home. My relatives were so amazed at the reaction the magnets had on my mothers Gout after they saw her suffer dibilitating pain that they are all the owners of the kits now.. The problem is it sounds so simple and easy most people boo hoo the idea without ever trying it out. You have to pity people like that. Who cares why or how it works, IT WORKS and there are no side effects like with drugs. [Roll Eyes]

Re: tired of pain - 04/12/04 05:15 PM

I'm happy to see more medical doctors who are leaning towards natural methods of healing. It was refreshing to get a list of vitamins from the peditrician this year during cold season.

Re: tired of pain - 04/13/04 03:15 AM

AMEN to that and its about time.... [Razz]

Re: tired of pain - 04/21/04 05:18 PM

Meredith, if I recall correctly you have a test today. Is that right? Please keep us posted!

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 07:07 AM

Ms M...ditto! Please let us know how you are. You are in my thoughts and prayers girlfriend.

JJ

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 03:27 AM

I confused the date. I went for the bone scan last week. Doctor (surgeon) called yesterday while I was out and left a message that there's no bone metastasis, which was a suspected cause of the pulled shoulder/chest muscle. I need to call the Doc back and find out if the scan shows how much worse the arthritis is. Not that I don't feel it, but I'd like the official word. When I had the scan in 1998 it showed arthritis in every joint. Bummer, but at least everything works. In two weeks I go for a MRI brain scan, ordered by my new neurologist. Last one was 1998 and they did find a brain haha.

Monday morning I pulled out my lower back and have no idea why. I seem to be going for the continuous minor injury award. It takes 5 minutes just to put on socks and shoes. Youch. Unfortunately, all this sitting-around-injured stuff translates into creeping weight gain.

Speaking of -- how are you doing jawjaw? I know you've been caring for your Dad. Are your car crash injuries healing OK?

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 03:41 AM

Prayers answered Meredith.
Now we'll start praying for your arthritis. And the brain [less? [Smile] ] scan too. You'll be back to your zippy self in no time.
smile

[ April 21, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 04:07 AM

Hate to sound repetitious BUT Magnet therapy is excellent for Arthritis too. My friend has had Rheumotoid Arthritis developing as far back as age 10, she insists she'd never be without the magnets on her bed. Happy about your good news. Hope you feel better soon. [Wink]

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 04:21 AM

Meredith,
I recently read somewhere that large doses of riboflavin is proving to be very beneficial in preventing migraines in those prone to have them. Maybe you could check that out.
Prayers and blessings.
smile

Re: tired of pain - 04/22/04 04:31 AM

Don't worry bout me Ms M...you just take care of yourself. Everything I have will heal, given a bit more time.

By the way, looks like I will be making another order with you. I looked around the room where Daddy is, at all of my sisters and noticed they ALL had on earrings by Meredith except one sister. Even Mother had some on. SO...I have to order her some. Look for me to ding you soon!