Unfashionable Illness

Posted by: meredithbead

Unfashionable Illness - 12/29/03 11:29 AM

This will probably be the most inane post started today, but I feel like bitching.

I have a disease. I got it from my mother. I'm not sure if it's genetic or one of those lingering contagious things.

I iron.

And what's worse: I'm a binge-and-purge ironer. I haven't ironed since June because I hate to iron in the summer. After laundry last week, I now have 80 pieces of clothing in my ironing closet, more than I have in my regular (post-ironed) closet.

I'm running out of excuses. I'm also running out of clothing. So I'm going to do it.

Math quiz: if each garment takes an average of 10 minutes to iron, where did I store the butterfly nets?

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/29/03 05:21 PM

Meredith, when I first started reading your post I thought you got some answer for your recent 7-8 week illness. [Frown]

Then I continued to read and I thought it had to do with the iron levels in your body. [Confused]

Okay, so it took me a bit to figure out where you were going with this, but I did eventually get it.

You scared me!

So, are you going to iron your way into the new year, or are you going naked?

Hmmm, one of the beauties of my son being at college is that I rarely ever iron. [Big Grin]

My husband takes all his dress shirts to the cleaners and the rest of us wear wash and wear for the most part. [Big Grin]

The one who is in college attended a school where he had to wear a jacket and tie every day. We couldn't justify having his shirts dry cleaned so every night before school I would iron his shirt for the next day and put a crease in his khakis.

When he came home for Thanksgiving I had to get the iron out again. [Eek!]

I recall my mom ironing while she watched Days Of Our Lives. Remember that? Like sands through the hour glass, so are....
Posted by: Evie

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/29/03 10:54 PM

I rarely iron, avoid it like the plague if I can - its gotta be wash and dry and wear, no wrinkles! Fortunately my husbands job does not require dress shirts!

The only thing I do iron is the altar linens for the church, when its my turn on altar guild. And because its about the only thing I do iron, it becomes a very meditative, relaxing 15 mins or so.....
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/29/03 11:00 PM

Remember sprinking your clothes with a little water right before you iron them? I used to do the sprinking for my Mom or Grandmother.

I hate to iron, actually it wouldn't be that bad if I didn't have so much else to do. It is an immediate satisfaction, mmmm......

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/30/03 02:39 AM

This is why I've increasingly gone to stretch pants in my middle age, even though some good aesthetic arguments could be made towards NOT. [Roll Eyes]

I remember cotton blouses which had to be spray starched before ironing. After I graduated high school, I never bought another button-down cotton blouse again. I also avoid clothes with ruffles, buttons and other ironing slow-downs.

I wear a lot of t-shirts, cotton knit turtlenecks and sweats in the winter, all of which I think look better ironed, so I do.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/30/03 03:22 AM

I say HURRAH for stretch pants and anything else that stretches. I love stretchy clothes. I liked them even before I hit this lovely age. I say the stretchier the better.

And who has time to iron? I mean there's friends and TV and radio and movies and the INTERNET.

So much fun, so little time. Why waste it ironing?
Posted by: swimbo56

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/30/03 08:09 AM

my least favorite chore is ironing. When I first married we divided the chores and that one was my husbands. His mother had taught him to iron because she worked. Great. So, he does the ironing, everything but tableclothes. Now his office has gone to "casual" dress and he no longer needs to wear a shirt and tie except when visiting a cliet, maybe 1 day a week. He usually irons it that am. As to my boys, they too went to a school, same one as Dotsies, that required shirt and tie. At first they ironed their own shirts, but they became lazy and then just wore them wash and wear. Who cared how nice they looked. Now, they only iron when it needs to be nice, like job interview, seeing grandparents, holidays, etc. They were taught very young how to iron. I feel their future significant other will be very grateful they know how.

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 12/31/03 04:40 PM

Meredith, now wait a minute. Did I read that you iron sweats and cotton shirts? [Razz]

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/01/04 01:05 AM

...umm...yeah...

I honestly feel that they look better ironed. Probably no one else notices the difference, but I do.
I only iron sweats and turtlenecks once after they come out of the laundry, not every time I wear them.

Which was kinda the reference to butterfly nets...

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/03/04 02:44 AM

40 items down, 40 to go...
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/08/04 10:49 AM

Merry Christmas.... Happy New Year......I've been off the board for weeks....and may I say... I actually like ironing. And if I could make any spare money at it... I would. I used to, many years ago, when I was 20 (or something) and made probably twenty cents apiece. I wonder how much I could get now. You never see ads for that kind of a service anymore.

And that's my little 'step back into the board.'

Kate
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/09/04 02:16 AM

Dear sick puppy DreamerK....they get 1.00/item in these parts...

personally, I would put their kids thru college if they would do my laundry....I hate ironing...

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/10/04 11:25 AM

The reason you don't see ads is that not many people do it. You could place an ad in the Pennysaver (or whatever your local ad rag is). In caps: IRONING $1/garment; wedding gowns extra -- or something like that -- and see what results you get.
Posted by: Ellie

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/13/04 04:23 PM

I am trying to find my way around this forum and have already posted this in the wrong topic - Oh well here goes - I have just purchased the book a Purpose Driven Life - any comments from anyone who read the book do you recommend?? Did you keep a journal
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/13/04 06:03 PM

Ellie,
Welcome. I too have just bought the book and because of what they have written about it in here it sounds like a wonderful book. I am going to do the journal along with it. [Smile]
Thanks,
Maggie

Re: Unfashionable Illness - 01/13/04 07:02 PM

Hey Ellie, not to worry about the right spot for now. Just glad to have you here.

My hubby and I did this with a small group at our church this past fall. There is so much wisdom in that book. We didn't do the journal, but we did a study guide that our church provided. We also got to see funny Rick Warren on video each SUnday. The guy's a riot!

I say it's definetly worth the read, perhaps even a couple times.

I find it refreshing that it's nubmer two on the best seller's list. Just think of all these people reading this stuff! can't help but make this a better world to live in. [Wink]